Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Pandemic Information- Local and Worldwide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,078 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

But we'll still probably be in Level 5 tomorrow and have to obey the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Have to agree with Say my name

This covid panic is a godsend for every nuerotic fruitcake who kept his issues to himself but now sees strenght in numbers.
    Maybe thats a bit strong but its my honest opinion.
    The amount of people with hang ups about things constantly surprises me.
    Death or even then idea of its inevitability seems to be a biggie at the moment.
    From reading online it seems every person alive has an " underlying condition" of some sort.

Had a similar conversation with a friend of mine today - who maintained all these levels are a bad thing. It’s making sheep of people, telling them what to do, what to think, conditioning them so they don’t think for themselves...
    But - he has the same issue with the colour warnings for the weather too... :)

I don’t know about everyone else, I know death will come for me at some point - but at the same time, you’d like to push off the meeting for as long as possible... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

Have to agree with Say my name

This covid panic is a godsend for every nuerotic fruitcake who kept his issues to himself but now sees strenght in numbers.
    Maybe thats a bit strong but its my honest opinion.
    The amount of people with hang ups about things constantly surprises me.
    Death or even then idea of its inevitability seems to be a biggie at the moment.
    From reading online it seems every person alive has an " underlying condition" of some sort.

Jesus that's very harsh and very much comes across as uncaring of what others are going through to be honest, to dismiss people with "underlying conditions", jesus I hope all your family are keeping well :rolleyes:

I'd be the opposite and say that's exactly what we need and that's exactly what's worth protecting. We need children and teenagers to have their childhood and teenage years.
    If we don't allow it they'll grow to be even more neurotic than ourselves and with higher mental health problems and lower self esteem.

Think about it, with the percentage of deaths we've had and if this was 100 years ago and with no social media, would people know any different from their normal life?

I'm not denying there's a virus as I'm 90% sure looking back I had it in March after a family wedding where some at it came from Milan.
    I had pneumonia as a child and I felt a tightning on my lungs for about a week.
    My elderly parents one had a cough and one felt 'off' for two days. Another family member had no effects sitting at that table with the Milan tourist.

I said it before that it looks like other Coronavirus's in that we'll get it again and again and again and it does look like it's bearing that way.
    In mice with coronaviruses they had maximum immunity by being continually or with short times of exposure and more symptoms shown when say a six month period break between exposures.

My own personal to me preference would be to just open the country up and have those who want to cocoon, go and cocoon. But then I'd be a bit of a liberal about everybody should be in charge of themselves and make their own choices and then I'm not in charge of our health system..

It’s one way of dealing with it...

I don’t know if it’s wise to base everything on a ‘I think we had corona and we’re nearly in the better of it’ assumption either Say ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭Jb1989

GoneHome wrote: »
    Jesus that's very harsh and very much comes across as uncaring of what others are going through to be honest, to dismiss people with "underlying conditions", jesus I hope all your family are keeping well :rolleyes:

And maybe he has the right attitude

• Advertisement

I don’t know if it’s wise to base everything on a ‘I think we had corona and we’re nearly in the better of it’ assumption either Say ;)

Wasn't there a news report during the week of people getting the virus for a second time and a more extreme case of it then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Well have a parent with real medical issues but they are rather fed up of all this at this stage.To be fair they never paid any attention to the coccooning advice etc but then again they would have seen a bit more of life and experienced more than a lot of people.
    My family would have a rather jaundiced view of life and death compared to many I must admit and perhaps that can come across as cold.Its a "shut up with yer whinging, get on with it and make the best of what you have " attitude.Not for everyone but if we were all the same then life be one bland existance

Jb1989 wrote: »
    And maybe he has the right attitude

How can people be so dismisive of the virus that way, you think I'm grand yes if I get it so what but what if your 80 year old father or mother/grandfather or grandmother got it, you'd just dismiss them in the same way

Say for doctor general of the country.

(I tell you though it was a great weight off our shoulders being 90% sure we had. Everyone else afraid of dying and we just continuing on while obeying all rules).

Say for doctor general of the country.

(I tell you though it was a great weight off our shoulders being 90% sure we had. Everyone else afraid of dying and we just continuing on while obeying all rules).

So you "think" because you had the virus already you won't get it again, ya.......

• Advertisement

So you "think" because you had the virus already you won't get it again, ya.......

Nope. I could/will get it again might even have it now unknownst to myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭893bet

I have heard I would say a million people start sentences like “I am pretty sure I had it in Jan/Feb/March/
    April”.

Pretty sure most of them didn’t have it.

893bet wrote: »
    I have heard I would say a million people start sentences like “I am pretty sure I had it in Jan/Feb/March/
    April”.

Pretty sure most of them didn’t have it.

Pretty sure you haven't heard a million people.

It was here in February.
    It was in France in December.

There no point to this as though as it's unprovable either way.

Pretty sure you haven't heard a million people.

It was here in February.
    It was in France in December.

There no point to this as though as it's unprovable either way.

I'd be fairly sure too you didn't have Covid in Feb, have you put that through to Cambridge or Oxford or some such place to get their view on it, I'm sure they'd love to do research on a person who had Covid before it was even diagnossed in China :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭giveitholly

I'd be fairly sure too you didn't have Covid in Feb, have you put that through to Cambridge or Oxford or some such place to get their view on it, I'm sure they'd love to do research on a person who had Covid before it was even diagnossed in China :rolleyes:

Ah covid was diagnosed as early as December in Wuhan but anyway continue on

Was it not called Covid-19 cos it was discovered in 2019?

:D

Internet warriors.

This has now turned from me saying March to you retorting I had it in February to probably the next one bringing in a million people had it in the spring and probably saying I said that too.

I'm not making this up but there were people at that wedding who tested positive for Covid a short time after. That lowers the odds a bit.
    But there was no such thing as contact tracing then and we never knew about this till months later. The only testing at the time was if you were abroad and symptoms were dismissed and not tested for if you weren't abroad.

I'm not saying any more on it as I have mentioned this before here and I'm too blabby compared to the rest of ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

If you closed the border and airports for good along with a severe lockdown with a functioning test and trace system. Possible then?

In saying that Probably needed to be done in march like NZ, to late now with cases widespread.

No, this is like ash dieback and probably a lot more diseases.
    Panic when it's discovered and try your best to eradicate it but quickly discover that it's everywhere and eventually just have to leave it to run it's course

• Registered Users Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭endainoz

https://www.vox.com/21495327/covid-19-germany-coronavirus-cases-deaths

A study on how Germany dealt with the virus better than anywhere else in Europe. They do admit there was an element of luck in the beginning but that's only one of many reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭Gillespy

People I talk to are more worried about what more lockdowns mean in the short and long term than the virus. Stunning the see some though clinging to the message of last March, still declaring normal good people selfish and granny killers. Get lost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,059 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Gillespy wrote: »
    People I talk to are more worried about what more lockdowns mean in the short and long term than the virus. Stunning the see some though clinging to the message of last March, still declaring normal good people selfish and granny killers. Get lost.

Tubridy had a story this morning of 56 cases traced back to some guy that went on holidays somewhere foreign, one of his contacts went to a party the day she was tested and was subsequently positive, to me that's malice aforethought

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭Suckler

wrangler wrote: »
    Tubridy had a story this morning of 56 cases traced back to some guy that went on holidays somewhere foreign, one of his contacts went to a party the day she was tested and was subsequently positive, to me that's malice aforethought

Was just reading it online; unbelievably stupid. Clowns like this are the reason we are all lumbered with tighter restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,104 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Suckler wrote: »
    Was just reading it online; unbelievably stupid. Clowns like this are the reason we are all lumbered with tighter restrictions.

They should be fined or jailed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,059 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Suckler wrote: »

He has earned the name ''granny killer''
    I'd guess that out of the 56 cases there's at least one victim with big problems.
    Have you a link to that story

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

• Registered Users Posts: 21,133 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Passed through a village in County Cork today. Mobile chipper was parked next to the pub since last night. This village is in the area that has highest Covid cases in the county. Must have been some fun in the village last night, WTF?

Water John wrote: »
    Passed through a village in County Cork today. Mobile chipper was parked next to the pub since last night. This village is in the area that has highest Covid cases in the county. Must have been some fun in the village last night, WTF?

Sure the virus doesn't suit some peoples lifestyles so they ignore it, and we get the kind of craic in the newspaper report and lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Water John wrote: »

One can get worked up about all these stories but we're no different to the trend in case numbers right across Europe with varying restrictions over the summer, varying levels of testing and tracing and presumably varying levels of compliance with official rules.
    The big moves in positives are obviously not very sensitive to a lot of the restrictions/guidelines and it will remain to be seen how effective lockdown actually is at a time of year when it's increasing as much of the lockdowns last spring were introduced after things had begun to level off anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Shadow Dancer

I have to say that from the very beginning of this pandemic, you were always able to see the wood from the trees. You were never afraid to tell it as you saw it, even though your views were quite unpopular.
    I appreciate we all want what's best for us all and people mean well . But I don't know if people will see the reality for what this really is, in time. The whole fabric of our society has been ripped asunder and now it appears the government will heap more misery on us. And to what end?

Anyone who goes against the populist narrative is shut down in the media. And ridiculed. And labelled as some sort of uncaring psycho or conspiracy theorist.
    I do however find some solace that more and more people are starting to question what really is happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,133 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I have to say that from the very beginning of this pandemic, you were always able to see the wood from the trees. You were never afraid to tell it as you saw it, even though your views were quite unpopular.
    I appreciate we all want what's best for us all and people mean well . But I don't know if people will see the reality for what this really is, in time. The whole fabric of our society has been ripped asunder and now it appears the government will heap more misery on us. And to what end?

Anyone who goes against the populist narrative is shut down in the media. And ridiculed. And labelled as some sort of uncaring psycho or conspiracy theorist.
    I do however find some solace that more and more people are starting to question what really is happening.

Just don't get ' the whole fabric of our society has been ripped asunder', quite hyperbolic. Refugees from Syria would be entitled to such a sentiment.

Advertisement