Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 Executive Officer Civil Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭gestappo

Madelyn wrote: »
    I think who ever starts this year is lucky because there will be an embargo next year on hiring.

Cannot see this happening to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Madelyn

gestappo wrote: »

It's strange times and if we go into lockdown next week things will change. What happens if we need another lockdown in Feb. The country cannot afford to keep hiring staff.
    AGS are saying those figures every year... mostly covering retirements.

It's strange times and if we go into lockdown next week things will change. What happens if we need another lockdown in Feb. The country cannot afford to keep hiring staff.

Madelyn, can I ask are you working in the civil service?

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Dublintigger

I think who ever starts this year is lucky because there will be an embargo next year on hiring.

Oh?? Has that been confirmed?

• Advertisement

Oh?? Has that been confirmed?

Definitely not.

Me neither - especially with S/Welfare who are looking for huge numbers of EO's and CO's.

Also with Brexit coming down the line
    Also the high numbers of retirements and other promotions to HEO

There is movement in CS - its not all doom and gloom ;)

Me neither - especially with S/Welfare are looking for huge numbers of EO's and CO's.

Also with Brexit coming down the line
    Also the high numbers of retirements and other promotions to HEO

There is movement in CS - its not all doom and gloom ;)

100%

A lot of depts will be running internal promotion comps which will free up space for EOs and COs. There are a lot of retirements due this year and next, add covid into the mix and anyone that is eligible will be also thinking of retiring.

Civil service right now is the busiest ever.

100%

A lot of depts will be running internal promotion comps which will free up space for EOs and COs. There are a lot of retirements due this year and next, add covid into the mix and anyone that is eligible will be also thinking of retiring.

Civil service right now is the busiest ever.

Totally agree - lets keep it real and positive. :)

• Advertisement

"Fresh public sector recruitment ban may be needed, minister told" It is only in discussions and thought about it. It has not been confirmed.

Not only that, this report is dated 02.08.2020 - lots of talks and discussions have taken place since (I'm sure) and they (PAS) wouldnt have put up the comp up. That would have been a waste of their time and ours too.....

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/question/2020-06-30/324/?highlight%5B0%5D=gisc&highlight%5B1%5D=gisc&highlight%5B2%5D=gisc&highlight%5B3%5D=gisc&highlight%5B4%5D=gisc

I wouldn't pay to much heed to AGS figures.

"Fresh public sector recruitment ban may be needed, minister told" It is only in discussions and thought about it. It has not been confirmed.

Nothing is confirmed.. The country is not in a good place going forward so it's common sense there will be a recruitment ban. The dog on the street knows this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 cailn gaelach

I wouldn't pay to much heed to AGS figures.

Where did you read these numbers from AGS as the only place I read this was part of the Budget where there approved recruitment in AGS to recruit Administrative staff to free up Gardaí

Where did you read these numbers from AGS as the only place I read this was part of the Budget where there approved recruitment in AGS to recruit Administrative staff to free up Gardaí

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/question/2020-06-30/324/?highlight%5B0%5D=gisc&highlight%5B1%5D=gisc&highlight%5B2%5D=gisc&highlight%5B3%5D=gisc&highlight%5B4%5D=gisc

Sorry I dont understand your question? The link tells you it is from. Parliamentary questions

Sorry I dont understand your question? The link tells you it is from. Parliamentary questions[/
    You stated I wouldn’t pay heed to AGS figures. I asked where did you read that from AGS? The PQ you linked is going back to June of this year. As part of the the budget last week they gave funding for the recruitment of 620 new Garda Members and for 500 Garda staff so it’s the Government announcing the figures not AGS. I hope this makes sense.

That is going back to June of this year in the budget last week they gave funding for the recruitment of 620 new Garda members and for 500 Garda staff.

They gave funding in the last budget also but they didn't reach the numbers promised which is why the question was raised. If they cant reach the numbers in the good times it doubtful they will be reached next year.
    No garda members can be recruited until medicals are allowed again. Is Templemore back in action?

They gave funding in the last budget also but they didn't reach the numbers promised which is why the question was raised. If they cant reach the numbers in the good times it doubtful they will be reached next year.
    No garda members can be recruited until medicals are allowed again. Is Templemore back in action?

My point was it’s not AGS giving the figures it’s the Government.

My point was it’s not AGS giving the figures it’s the Government.

The minister for Justice gave the figures. Do you not think they should know as it's their dept?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭TrishaK

Madelyn do you currently work in the civil service and getting this information from your own HR or are you simply pulling articles and spinning them to sh!t stir???

I currently work in the CS and I can tell you that there has been no talk of freeze on promotion or hiring of new staff. I personally know of 7 people that have received their start dates (starting in November and end of October) and these are CO and EO posts from external comps. And these are all people being placed in depts outside of Dublin.

This is unprecedented times that we are in not only with Covid but also with the amount of retirements being projected for the coming 12-24 months.

There is an awful lot of experienced staff due to retire and while the government MAY discuss the POSSIBILITY of an embargo on recruitment the last time this happened those who were retired were replaced but Depts could not hire staff in excess of the overall level of staffing in place from the time the embargo started.

For example if Revenue had 2500 staff and the embargo was put in place and then 10 of these staff retired they were able to make a case for replacing those 10 staff but they could not look to hire 15 staff as that would bring them over the staffing level of 2500

• Advertisement

I do apologies for having an opinion, seems as you are the internet police your opinion is allowed.
    I wont be posting again.The articles are online for anyone to read. I didnt make them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Vologda69

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Divisadero

I understand that people want these jobs and want to remain positive but expections need to be managed. During every major recession in my memory the Civil Service either had a full embargo or a defacto embargo. By which I mean a hiring freeze is never announced but the panels don't move or slow to a trickle.

Yes Social Protection for example needs staff (they usually do) but during the last downturn they were crying out for staff but to a large extent just had to make do. The same re retirements. If things get really bad Govt Depts and offices will just have to make do with what they have. That is what happens when the money runs out or is severely limited.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade and I hope you will all get a fair chance at a job. But it doesn't do anyone a service by sticking your head in the sand either. I know it might not be easy but try to keep focused on your preparation as none of us know for sure how it will all play out.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Mellybelly

Mobility in cs back open on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Ernesto Guevara

Divisadero wrote: »
    I understand that people want these jobs and want to remain positive but expections need to be managed. During every major recession in my memory the Civil Service either had a full embargo or a defacto embargo. By which I mean a hiring freeze is never announced but the panels don't move or slow to a trickle.

Yes Social Protection for example needs staff (they usually do) but during the last downturn they were crying out for staff but to a large extent just had to make do. The same re retirements. If things get really bad Govt Depts and offices will just have to make do with what they have. That is what happens when the money runs out or is severely limited.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade and I hope you will all get a fair chance at a job. But it doesn't do anyone a service by sticking your head in the sand either. I know it might not be easy but try to keep focused on your preparation as none of us know for sure how it will all play out.

Good luck.

To be fair in previous recessions we also couldn't borrow from the markets at effectively 0% interest rates. Tax intake has still held up strong too, not like last time when our tax base was wiped out once the housing market crashed. Coupled with the amount of retirements due in the coming years, I don't see any embargo happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭doc22

To be fair in previous recessions we also couldn't borrow from the markets at effectively 0% interest rates. Tax intake has still held up strong too, not like last time when our tax base was wiped out once the housing market crashed. Coupled with the amount of retirements due in the coming years, I don't see any embargo happening.

We are borrowing 20bn this year and next, how long do you think we can keep that up. The PUP payments aren't even coming from borrowing rather the PRSI fund is being emptied. Of course the tax base held when you're pumping 20bn into it, what happens when the money stops and interest rates increase on refinancing the 200bn of existing debt(pre covid). Outside the DEASP and health there's a fair portion of public servants doing factions of previous work due to covid that on retirement there'll be in no rush to replace.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Ernesto Guevara

doc22 wrote: »
    We are borrowing 20bn this year and next, how long do you think we can keep that up. The PUP payments aren't even coming from borrowing rather the PRSI fund is being emptied. Of course the tax base held when you're pumping 20bn into it, what happens when the money stops and interest rates increase on refinancing the 200bn of existing debt(pre covid). Outside the DEASP and health there's a fair portion of public servants doing factions of previous work due to covid that on retirement there'll be in no rush to replace.

This isn't an economics thread so I'm wary of going too far off topic. For starters, the tax base has proved resilient, that's a fact. The level of borrowing doesn't negate that. A substantial rise in interest rates would require unprecedented growth in Europe, and even in the long term, interest rates are expected to remain low.
    Anyhow, regardless of what I say I doubt you'll agree so I'll leave it at that.
    As a general point, can we stop scaremongering about embargos or pretending to be in the know about what is to come? Nothing has been decided yet, if it happens it happens, but there's no point worrying too much about it for the moment. Just focus on the competition and take it as it comes. Good luck everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Spore

doc22 wrote: »

Pure balls. In my department they’re hiring like the clappers ahead of brexit. Govt is also take on hundreds more nurses and guards. There is an obvious strategy in place to create jobs across the public sector as a means of restoring confidence in the public and to create jobs as a means to offset recession contagion. It’s a great time to apply for a PS position. Stay positive. The service is a fantastic place to work

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭blondie007

Question for anyone who's done an E-tray test for the CS before- how long is the exam please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Divisadero

I did one at the start of this year. I'm going to guess 50 mins to just over an hour. It could be longer though. You get a fair bit of time beforehand to familarise yourself with it before the actual test starts. Make use of it!

Anyway someone else will hopefully post with an exact answer.

Advertisement