Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 Executive Officer Civil Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭carleigh

In my Department, there is no parental leave or shorter working year permitted during probation. And no automatic entitlement to either once probation is over, different sections within departments all permit such leave at their discretion. Luckily I’m on SWY at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭336699

carleigh wrote: »
    In my Department, there is no parental leave or shorter working year permitted during probation. And no automatic entitlement to either once probation is over, different sections within departments all permit such leave at their discretion. Luckily I’m on SWY at the moment!

Parental leave is a statutory entitlement as set out in the Parental Leave (Amendment) Act 2019. You cannot be denied parental leave if you meet the criteria. So, once you pass your probation you are legally entitled to take parental leave once you fit the bill.

But yes, SWY is not guaranteed. We have it in our place thankfully!

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/parental_leave.html

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭tomjmsn

Sorry to be a pain here if I'm repeating previous posts but I've been trawling through these pages with little luck - this is my first time applying to the civil service and I'm Open 115 Interdepartmental 45 for Dublin. Are these rankings any good and to what extent are they changed/ redetermined by the etray?

I wish everyone the best of luck with their applications

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭carleigh

336699 wrote: »
    Parental leave is a statutory entitlement as set out in the Parental Leave (Amendment) Act 2019. You cannot be denied parental leave if you meet the criteria. So, once you pass your probation you are legally entitled to take parental leave once you fit the bill.

But yes, SWY is not guaranteed. We have it in our place thankfully!

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/parental_leave.html

Very true, but you may not get specific days etc for Parental Leave based on the work pattern in the office. Plenty take it in my building and rightly so, it doesn’t impact other colleagues requests for Annual Leave etc but the Parental Leave work pattern of other staff members is taken into account when new PL requests are forward (where I work anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Madelyn

tomjmsn wrote: »
    Sorry to be a pain here if I'm repeating previous posts but I've been trawling through these pages with little luck - this is my first time applying to the civil service and I'm Open 115 Interdepartmental 45 for Dublin. Are these rankings any good and to what extent are they changed/ redetermined by the etray?

That is excellent scores for Dublin.
    If this is your first time applying for the civil service you do not qualify for the interdepartmental, you have to be in the civil service 2 yrs to qualify for this.

The open competition has certain qualification to be eligible.

All that considered you could do the Etay and fail and that is you finished in the competition.

You could pass with a better score and get to interview, you might fail the interview and you are finished.

You could pass the Etray and interview but never get placed, they might not reach your number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Seesee

Are you sure about your open competition OOM as I’m also 115? Can more than one person be if we got same result? If so then there might be far more than 115 ahead of us! But I suppose etray will change things.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Buster97

Seesee wrote: »
    Are you sure about your open competition OOM as I’m also 115? Can more than one person be if we got same result? If so then there might be far more than 115 ahead of us! But I suppose etray will change things.

I think I read more than one person can have the same OOM. Say you both have the same score you would share an OOM. I’d imagine one e-tray and interview are done and presuming you pass, your new OOM would be an individual number that just you have.

So if 10 people have the same score as you, you will have the same OOM. But the next person with one point below you lot would be 125.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Seesee

Buster97 wrote: »
    I think I read more than one person can have the same OOM. Say you both have the same score you would share an OOM. I’d imagine one e-tray and interview are done and presuming you pass, your new OOM would be an individual number that just you have.

So if 10 people have the same score as you, you will have the same OOM. But the next person with one point below you lot would be 125.

Yes that makes sense alright. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Darren1881

If this is your first time applying through the civil service how do you have a position on the interdepartmental section? That is for serving civil servants, but your numbers are very good. However if you are selected for inter and are not currently a civil servant it will be dismissed .

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Aleece2020

What's the story with the e-tray? Will we be called in batches for it (and if so, how large are the batches) And then an interview if we pass e-tray?

• Advertisement

Darren1881 wrote: »
    If this is your first time applying through the civil service how do you have a position on the interdepartmental section? That is for serving civil servants, but your numbers are very good. However if you are selected for inter and are not currently a civil servant it will be dismissed .

Thanks for your help - I didn't understand that either. It appears I mistakenly ticked both the open and interdepartmental sections on my form. I have tried to e-mail them to correct this but not sure if it is too late..

• Registered Users Posts: 42 rusty1983

If you are not a civil servant you are not eligible for the Interdepartmental

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭jules86

Thanks for your help - I didn't understand that either. It appears I mistakenly ticked both the open and interdepartmental sections on my form. I have tried to e-mail them to correct this but not sure if it is too late..

I wouldn't worry about it, loads of people do it. Won't be an issue until after interview.

Now did anyone email about next stage and get reply from PAS?

Seesee wrote: »

Just double checked and I'm definitely 115. Maybe we're lined up for a job-share haha

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭jules86

Just double checked and I'm definitely 115. Maybe we're lined up for a job-share haha

Or you just got the same score

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I think we need an update from gestappo on what he thinks the timing of the next steps are!

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭jonnybangbang

This might be a silly question and you might already of answered this but are ye both comparing oom for the same county?

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭gestappo

I think we need an update from gestappo on what he thinks the timing of the next steps are!

:o I'm thinking we might hear this afternoon how they plan to go forward.

If not, then by next Friday at the latest as according to their own timeline, they're leaving things quite late for mid November starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

gestappo wrote: »
    :o I'm thinking we might hear this afternoon how they plan to go forward.

If not, then by next Friday at the latest as according to their own timeline, they're leaving things quite late for mid November starts.

Highly unlikely that a panel will be in place by mid-November, more than likely there will be another stage followed by an interview. Realistically it would be mid December.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 OliverAngler

I presumed from reading the stuff sent they will call people to etray where there is vacancies planned.

So it will go by region not your current OOM. e.g call 400 people to do etray from dublin first. maybe few from other counties and none from others.

Some people despite a high oom maybe waiting until later next year to hear anything about an etray.

Im hoping as the etray will be done online they should have the capacity to call more. Last years 2019 EO OOM was based off score on verbal supervised test and etray result which u sat on the same day you needed to just pass maths. They then called people to interview based on the OOM.

• Advertisement

redmgar wrote: »
    Highly unlikely that a panel will be in place by mid-November, more than likely there will be another stage followed by an interview. Realistically it would be mid December.

Just reiterating what Public Appointments have mentioned before.

Just reiterating what Public Appointments have mentioned before.
    Yeah I'm not disputing it, just being realistic with the timeframe.

Yeah I'm not disputing it, just being realistic with the timeframe.

I know they’re under pressure especially from DEASP so they could still get people in from end of Nov. But 100% timeline is incredibly tight.

I know they’re under pressure especially from DEASP so they could still get people in from end of Nov. But 100% timeline is incredibly tight.

They are still placing people from the 2019 panel, so they could be used for this.

They are still placing people from the 2019 panel, so they could be used for this.

I’ve been following that thread, but it has slowed down a good but and nearing its end.

500 spaces need to be filled between EOs, COs & TCOs asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭insert name here 123

I'm going to say, will get notifications next Friday (for those in first batch) 23rd of October.

Here's hoping anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

I’ve been following that thread, but it has slowed down a good but and nearing its end.

500 spaces need to be filled between EOs, COs & TCOs asap.

I think with the possibility of level 5 coming, they may use temporary assignments to buy some time.

I know in march some departments had hired staff with contracts signed but couldn't start them until June. Its a long time to have people on the payroll if they can't train them into the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Madelyn

I think who ever starts this year is lucky because there will be an embargo next year on hiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭MrsBean

I don't think you should say there will be an embargo unless you know there will be an embargo. And you don't know if there will be one because govt haven't even started discussing it properly yet so no one knows. At the moment it's just hearsay. That's not to say it's impossible but this time circumstances are different to the recession and there are lessons learned from the last recruitment embargo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

MrsBean wrote: »
    I don't think you should say there will be an embargo unless you know there will be an embargo. And you don't know if there will be one because govt haven't even started discussing it properly yet so no one knows. At the moment it's just hearsay. That's not to say it's impossible but this time circumstances are different to the recession and there are lessons learned from the last recruitment embargo.

Correct, wasnt there a budget day announcement that their hiring 500 extra clerical staff to free up gardai from desk duties. Also the austerity way of dealing with things seems to be a thing from the past , with all talk of stimulating the economy to get things moving again whenever things get back to normal.

Advertisement