Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 Executive Officer Civil Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭fergald

Dont forget a county can take a lot more internal if places are owed. So might never get called of open.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭doc22

fergald wrote: »
    Dont forget a county can take a lot more internal if places are owed. So might never get called of open.

They can just work internal and owe the open panel too,From memory there was a deficit of 1000 EO places owed to the open which was reduced to a few hundred in 2018(just forgotten about due to SO switch).

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭mayo londoner

redmgar wrote: »
    Within your department, its usually when you pass probation. But it can differ.
    Would many positions typically come up internally within departments? Would they be promotions say from CO to EO?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭MonikaB

Would many positions typically come up internally within departments? Would they be promotions say from CO to EO?

Internal competitions happen often, they aren't automatic promotions. You go through a selection process, it will be slightly different than open competition

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭RWC15champions

Thanks a mill Always Number 1, that's not worth the jump for the extra responsibility and possible parking/travelling costs

You'll be starting on a new payscale getting increments every year though!
    Think of what the difference will be 5 or 10 years down the line, not what you will be getting in your first payslip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Sharri

Sorry if this is a bit OT but I am a CO and anticipating I will be out on sick leave for the next 1-2 months.
    Thinking ahead, if I am successful in this competition will my sick leave record then impact me ? Like when it comes time for references....

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Skweefie

Sharri wrote: »
    Sorry if this is a bit OT but I am a CO and anticipating I will be out on sick leave for the next 1-2 months.
    Thinking ahead, if I am successful in this competition will my sick leave record then impact me ? Like when it comes time for references....

Sick leave is considered. There are certain illnesses you can have discounted but you have to get sent to your cmo to be reviewed. That's confidential information what you disclose to cmo, and local management dont need details, but they can advise whether the leave should be discounted or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Dramaqueeny

You'll be starting on a new payscale getting increments every year though!
    Think of what the difference will be 5 or 10 years down the line, not what you will be getting in your first payslip.

ok, fair enough, im currently at top of Co scale not Eo scale so a few more increments if i get it. great stuff that makes it a bit better alright!thanks a mill

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Marie20201

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this process as its my first time to apply for the civil service.

I have found this thread so helpful. Would anyone have any insight into what the levels of recruitment in Leitrim? My oom is currently in the early teens but I'm unsure how to feel about it given Leitrim is such a small county.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Justaburner

Marie20201 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

I am new to this process as its my first time to apply for the civil service.

I have found this thread so helpful. Would anyone have any insight into what the levels of recruitment in Leitrim? My oom is currently in the early teens but I'm unsure how to feel about it given Leitrim is such a small county.

With an OOM in early teens youre bound to be called for an etray. As to when though, thats impossible to know I'd imagine. Theres a link in a post above to the locations of EO in the CS. Could be worth looking at that to get an idea of how many are in Leitrim and that might give you an idea of the demand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Bellemcnally

I no some1 had this up already but how do u appeal if you missed out by a point on 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Marie20201

With an OOM in early teens youre bound to be called for an etray. As to when though, thats impossible to know I'd imagine. Theres a link in a post above to the locations of EO in the CS. Could be worth looking at that to get an idea of how many are in Leitrim and that might give you an idea of the demand.

Thanks so much for your response, I just seen that link. I will check it out

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭fionnr01

Gov are throwing money at all departments today..... That usually means more civil servants!! Fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭acawarrior

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Well you have Johnstown Castle, the Port, and there must be a few other departments there, Social Welfare etc.
    If you get through e-tray and the interview, and allowing for people who won't take an offer due to their current work, etc, you should have a good chance.
    Probably need to get into the high teens or low twenties after interview..
    Of course, less EO's are hired than CO's, but still, I'd be hopeful.

When would the e-tray test be?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Buster97

I no some1 had this up already but how do u appeal if you missed out by a point on 1.

The appeal process is outlined in the information booklet but from what I can see it only covers if the reason for refusal was based off of an actual persons view rather than meeting the minimum grades in the tests (I’ve tried to post the link to the booklet but it is not allowing me to post a URL). I’d suggest maybe just contacting PAS but I can’t imagine they’ll be of much help seeing as it is a minimum requirement to pass the assessments and the probability of a mis-grade is relatively low.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭delricyo

Buster97 wrote: »
    The appeal process is outlined in the information booklet but from what I can see it only covers if the reason for refusal was based off of an actual persons view rather than meeting the minimum grades in the tests (I’ve tried to post the link to the booklet but it is not allowing me to post a URL). I’d suggest maybe just contacting PAS but I can’t imagine they’ll be of much help seeing as it is a minimum requirement to pass the assessments and the probability of a mis-grade is relatively low.

In my opinion the only way a review would be successful for the automated tests stage is that if there was an error in the calculation of your grade. This is unlikely.
    And if there was, it would mean that there probably would be lots of others in the same boat.
    So, when you think about it, you could move up a point. And everyone else moves up a point. And then the cutoff would be just moved up one point - meaning you would miss out by a point again :(

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭336699

Requests for Feedback/Test Rechecks
    Feedback in relation to the selection process is available on written request. There are no specific timeframes set for the provision of feedback or for carrying out rechecks.
    Please note that the Review Process as set out in the Code of Practice is a separate process with specified timeframes that must be observed. It is not necessary for a candidate to compile a detailed case prior to invoking the appeals mechanism. The timeframe set out in the CPSA Code cannot be extended for any reason including the provision of feedback and/or the outcome of rechecks.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭336699

Procedure for Informal Review

A request for Informal Review must be made within 5 working days of notification of the decision, and should normally take place between the candidate and a representative of the PAS who had played a key role in the selection process.

Where the decision being conveyed relates to an interim stage of a selection process, the request for informal review must be received within 2 working days of the date of receipt of the decision.

Where a candidate remains dissatisfied following any such informal discussion, he/she may adopt the formal procedures set out below.

If the candidate wishes the matter to be dealt with by way of a formal review, he/she must do so within 2 working days of the notification of the outcome of the informal review.

Procedure for Formal Review of Selection Process

The candidate must address his/her concerns in relation to the process in writing to the Chief Executive, outlining the facts that they believe show an action taken or decision reached was wrong.

A request for review must be made within 10 working days of the notification of the selection
    decision. Where the decision relates to an interim stage of a selection process, the request for review must be received within 4 working days.

Any extension of these time limits will only be granted in the most exceptional of circumstances and will be at the sole discretion of the Chief Executive.

The outcome must generally be notified to the candidate within 25 working days of receipt of the request for review.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Darren1881

Hi everyone just curious if anyone is aware of any movement in the following two regions. I am currently 245 for the interdepartmental for Dublin and 34 for the inter in Meath. That is having completed stage 2. Waiting for the etray now i believe

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Nicole O.

I recently passed the EO exams last September 2020 but placed on the 3540 in the open stream. Will I ever be called for the next stage or just forget about it 😭?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 CucamarMor

Can anyone explain how to interpret the results and what the difference is between open and interdepartmental?

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭newbie18892

CucamarMor wrote: »
    Can anyone explain how to interpret the results and what the difference is between open and interdepartmental?

Open: public
    Interdepartmental: serving member of civil service

• Registered Users Posts: 22 EO2020

Interdepartmental is for people who are current serving civil servants with 2 years experience, you also don’t need qualifications
    The open stream is like a general stream for everyone and you do need qualifications
    You can be on both if you’re qualified for both and you can be reached on either depending on your oom

• Registered Users Posts: 7 briancummins79

Does anyone have links to sample e-tray tests?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Puguchung

I had a baby earlier in the year and *if* I make it through the assessments and am offered a job I would want to avail of whatever maternity arrangements are available, presumably allowances like working part time for a while, possibly others. At what point should I raise this during the process - at interview, at contract signing? I don’t want to put myself at a disadvantage before being offered anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

Puguchung wrote: »
    I had a baby earlier in the year and *if* I make it through the assessments and am offered a job I would want to avail of whatever maternity arrangements are available, presumably allowances like working part time for a while, possibly others. At what point should I raise this during the process - at interview, at contract signing? I don’t want to put myself at a disadvantage before being offered anything.

I would think there's no reason to raise it until you are formally offered a position

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭MrsBean

With respect, I think you're jumping the gun a bit here. If you're lucky you will be placed on a panel before the end of this year but this competition could realistically continue throughout 2021 and into 2022.
    There is no automatic entitlement to any maternity benefits after the fact, as in if you had a baby in April 2020 and get placed February 2021 you would be expected to start as full time. And you can use you annual leave, flexi leave and parental leave as required.
    If you have another baby while employed by the civil service that's a different story and maternity leave will apply.
    Once you pass probation (usually 1 year) you can apply for things like shorter working year. It is possible local HR will be accommodating to your needs but I wouldn't expect it straight out the gate. I am open for correction on this!

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Anonire

To the best of my knowledge people usually work a year in a department before they can apply for parental leave. It will be at the discretion of the department then how you will be allowed to take that leave e.g one day a week.
    There isn't any point I don't think of raising this at interview as it's very unlikely any of them will actually work in the department you will be placed in.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Dublintigger

Does anyone have links to sample e-tray tests?

I posted these earlier -post 1507 - hope it helps

Hi Folks

Re eTray - I found these for free...

https://www.assessmentday.co.uk/e-tray-exercise.htm
    https://www.practiceaptitudetests.co...lated-exercise - there are 3 samples here

and how to pass your eTray - but you have to pay for this one...
    https://www.assessmentcentrehq.com/a...tray-exercise/

If anyone has any others, please share

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

Anonire wrote: »
    To the best of my knowledge people usually work a year in a department before they can apply for parental leave. It will be at the discretion of the department then how you will be allowed to take that leave e.g one day a week.
    There isn't any point I don't think of raising this at interview as it's very unlikely any of them will actually work in the department you will be placed in.
    Edited, sorry I misread. You do indeed need 1 years continuous service for parental leave

Advertisement