Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beggars sitting outside shops

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I frequent the Fresh supermarket in Smithfield during the week- there is always, without fail, people directly outside the door asking for change.

They're not aggressive, but you need to almost squeeze past them to get in the door- and of course they never wear masks. It's off putting at best, frightening at worst.

Security don't give a sh*t about them- they only exist to make sure nobody's on the rob.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

GarIT wrote: »
    I've seen it with my own eyes.

Forgive me if I don't believe you.

Augeo wrote: »
    In Dublin 2019...... https://www.housing.gov.ie/housing/homelessness/minister-murphy-publishes-winter-rough-sleeper-count-homeless-quarterly#:~:text=It%20represents%20a%2041%25%20decrease,lowest%20since%20Rebuilding%20Ireland%20began.

Winter Rough Sleeper Count

The Official Winter Rough Sleeper Count was carried out on the night of 26 November into the morning of 27 November 2019.
    It represents a 41% decrease on Winter 2018 figure – a total of 92 persons are confirmed as rough sleeping across the Dublin region in Winter 2019 compared to 152 in 2018.

I fail to see how the persons conducting that count could have traversed every single, street, park, bridge, overpass, alleyway, etc. in the city in one night.

I counted 10 on Henry street alone many a orning. MAybe the people doing the counting know exactly where the rough sleepers sleep, I'm not disputing it but the figure does seem low. Maybe we think it's a lot higher because we see them on nearly every street that WE walk down but there might only be 10 or 20 main streets where the homeless sleep and we ourselves happen to walk those same streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,827 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Ask the premises so, maybe they aren't bothered by him

To be honest , they should be bothered if he is bothering customers in a borderline aggressive and intimidating manner. They can’t be oblivious it’s on their premises.

I can empathize, as it must be gravely difficult being in his situation but I know of one other guy who id regularly help out in the city who is just polite and not hassling people.

If I had a business on a property where somebody was using my premises, intimidating people and getting lippy with customers for not helping him the only thing he’d be getting is a one way ticket away from there.

How many are you putting up in your house?

Ah the old bullsh1t extreme choice argument again.

It's either give them nothing and sneer at them or give them everything you own, right?

Nothing in between, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I fail to see how the persons conducting that count could have traversed every single, street, park, bridge, overpass, alleyway, etc. in the city in one night.

I counted 10 on Henry street alone many a orning. MAybe the people doing the counting know exactly where the rough sleepers sleep, I'm not disputing it but the figure does seem low. Maybe we think it's a lot higher because we see them on nearly every street that WE walk down but there might only be 10 or 20 main streets where the homeless sleep and we ourselves happen to walk those same streets.

That's the official DRHE rough sleepers count out twice a year.Its probably the most accurate count of all.Full time DCC staff, homeless service social care workers and experienced volunteers participate.
    Its planned about six weeks or so in advance and around about a hundred + people count.
    You are given specific areas to count in , you might be asked to count the GPO side of O Connell street and the streets/lane immediately behind it.
    Another will count in neighbouring streets and lanes and so on.You only count in your specific area.
    You also count people bedded down, evidence of somebody bedded down and if you meet someone you know is homeless through the area and very clearly differentiate what you say.

Obviously use your common sense and dont enter or count in a dangerous area.

It is by far the most accurate count.

You can volunteer or you may asked to take part.

MarkY91 wrote: »
    I never said they were in any way to blame. I simply just can't understand how they're treated better than homeless Irish people.... In Ireland.

Would you like to explain why?

Edit: and please don't bring Syrian refugees into this if you want to go on a rant about fleeing a war torn county. Explain why a Gypsy from Eastern Europe is more important in Ireland than an Irish person.

Who says they are more important and what's this talk about them being "given" a house?

Nobody in Ireland just gets given a house.

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Nobody can share an opinion these days without being some sort of "ist". PC culture has taken over.

Here's another "ist" for you......bullshit artist. It refers to someone who tries to maintain that people are just given houses to live in.

Nexytus wrote: »
    I think the obvious solution would be to have some sort of means test and periodic assessment following on from which a Certificate of Authenticity is
    issued. This would valid for a specified period and would have to be prominently
    displayed at the begging site. Potential donors are allowed to examine the Certificate and put any questions they feel necessary to the prospective beggar.

This is fucking priceless.

So means test people to determine if they are legitimately destitute and when you determine the ones who are indeed rock bottom you don't actually give them state assistance you give them a fucking permit to beg.

Mind-blowing.

So none then, save for one personal experience. Would it be fair to say, you recognised you had mental health issues and sought out help (regardless of how much help was actually received).

Is it not a bit fanciful to suggest the vast majority of long term unemployed are suffering from various complex mental health issues, without any concrete evidence or professional background? Some may well be.

It's equally valid therefore for me to suggest with my only professional experience having been a period of unemployment which I spent re-educating that a large percentage of people (not all) who remain endemically long term unemployed are in fact lazy and too dependent on the handout to sort their situation out.

You were asked a question, i.e. "what about the people with complex mental issues?"

EDIT: You weren't asked the question, but nonetheless you didn't contribute anything to answering it.
    You didn't or couldn't answer the question but instead just said that a lot of these complex mental issues are imaginary or some such drivel. So the question remains "what about people with complex mental difficulties?"

• Advertisement

kravmaga wrote: »
    They are SLOVAK, I was on a Ryanair flight a few weeks ago from Bratislava to Dublin. Ive travelled all over the Czech republic and Poland on various hols, did not see many roma there. Have never been to Hungary, so cant comment.

Early morning flight , we arrived at Bratislava airport at 06:30am.

Walked in side to get a coffee and low and behold its full of roma gypos.

Teeth missing, some had gold teeth, cheap ear rings, the women wearing the typical long dresses , black hair.

I couldnt believe it, all going to DUBLIN.

It got worse when we took our seats they were all seated around us, Id say about 25 of them, like a team, all in high spirits, laughing joking , sharing sambos and crisps, drinks with each other, they were speaking in there own ****ty roma language.

Low and behold when aircraft lands at Dublin they all clap and laugh, then revert into speaking in English.

None of them were aware of the HSE Covid Passenger locater forms and were trying to fill in at the last minute before approaching INIS-Immigration booths. A male was refused entry for no form filled out in front of me just threw his hands up and walked back to get another form.

Some were stopped and taken by immigration for further questioning. But the majority got through, I waited with the gf to see.

Seems Dublin is a popular destination for them. No wonder the city is crawling with them, seems to be teams arriving in large numbers.

And if the recent edition of Crimecall showing roma females in large groups fleecing a retailer/toy shop in a rural town recently is anything to go by.

Its just going to get worse, 37,500 of them in Irelands according to Eurostat. Only 3,000 here in 2004. Do the math.

https://www.aljazeera.com/features/2017/5/10/life-in-slovakias-roma-slums-poverty-and-segregation#:~:text=Numbering%20half%20a%20million%20and,ethnic%20minority%20in%20the%20country.

So what's your solution to people legitimately coming to Ireland from another EU country?

I'm betting that you are happy to accept money from the EU to develop the country but not so delighted with other "benefits" of EU membership such as the free movement of people.

Indeed, it's likely inaccurate "The Official Winter Rough Sleeper Count was carried out on the night of 26 November into the morning of 27 November 2019" ........... but to be fair I was just posting it as someone mentioned they'd read it and I remember reading it also.

As inaccurate as it may be I doubt it's out by a factor of two or anything........ the folk doing the count would be liaising with the groups giving out food etc so they'd not be total novices in knowing where rough sleepers sleep.

Augeo wrote: »
    Indeed, it's likely inaccurate "The Official Winter Rough Sleeper Count was carried out on the night of 26 November into the morning of 27 November 2019" ........... but to be fair I was just posting it as someone mentioned they'd read it and I remember reading it also.

As inaccurate as it may be I doubt it's out by a factor of two or anything........ the folk doing the count would be liaising with the groups giving out food etc so they'd not be total novices in knowing where rough sleepers sleep.

I've done it myself a few times , it's as accurate as can be bearing in mind the issues rough sleepers present with .

Strumms wrote: »
    To be honest , they should be bothered if he is bothering customers in a borderline aggressive and intimidating manner. They can’t be oblivious it’s on their premises.

I can empathize, as it must be gravely difficult being in his situation but I know of one other guy who id regularly help out in the city who is just polite and not hassling people.

If I had a business on a property where somebody was using my premises, intimidating people and getting lippy with customers for not helping him the only thing he’d be getting is a one way ticket away from there.

Well, that's their choice I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Theres certain places they sleep in that are quiet ,if you cycle round dublin every morning you,ll see at least 5 tents where they sleep,
    most of them have a just sleeping bag,.
    In some american citys they have given over whole hotels to provide rooms for homeless people .
    some people do not want to go to hostels and prefer to sleep on the streets .
    i dont see them blocking the door .who is going to tell a homeless person to wear a mask.
    we have loads of empty hotel rooms , since theres very tourists coming to ireland.

I've done it myself a few times , it's as accurate as can be bearing in mind the issues rough sleepers present with .

I'd not seen your post when I replied, your answer is the facts of what I was guessing. Thank you for the factual detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Who says they are more important and what's this talk about them being "given" a house?

That old line is always trotted out. They "take our jobs" too even though during the Celtic tiger, you couldn't find an Irish person doing a "menial" job because it was beneath them. They are "given houses" and there's usually something about them "leaving brand new buggies at the bus stop because they can just claim a new one". Probably "takin our wimmin" too :D

It's that old "look after our own first" angst from people who don't really give a hoot about anyone, "our own" or otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭bmc58

humberklog wrote: »
    Pain in the hole and it's getting way worse.

I live on the Northside of Dublin and in my area they're outside every Spar and petrol station and a lot of shopping centres every day. And before anyone calls them "Homeless" they're not. There's 8 regular beggars in my area outside shops and all of them live in the modern apartment complexes beside me.

Whatever about those on the public pavement outside Spars (with Gardai almost having to step over them to get into the shop) how come they're not ran off petrol station forecourts and shopping centre entrances?

I've chatted to the housing association that house these beggars and they say whilst their case workers are disappointed in their behaviour there's nothing they can do about it.

The people I get most annoyed with is the people that regularly give money to them (and don't kid yourself- they don't want food or coffee). They are actively maintaining the problem.

Some of your points are totally correct.BUT in my town there are an orginased group of Romanians who are regulary driven into town early in the morning to take up their places to beg for the day.These are orginised without question.But there are a few sad locals who have succumbed to the drug scourge and are homeless and are desperate.I give nothing to the Romanians but I always give a couple of euros to the locals who I know are(sadly) genuine.

Well, that's their choice I guess

Absolutly... as is my choice to take my business elsewhere which i think ill be doing.. :)

That's the official DRHE rough sleepers count out twice a year.Its probably the most accurate count of all.Full time DCC staff, homeless service social care workers and experienced volunteers participate.
    Its planned about six weeks or so in advance and around about a hundred + people count.
    You are given specific areas to count in , you might be asked to count the GPO side of O Connell street and the streets/lane immediately behind it.
    Another will count in neighbouring streets and lanes and so on.You only count in your specific area.
    You also count people bedded down, evidence of somebody bedded down and if you meet someone you know is homeless through the area and very clearly differentiate what you say.

Obviously use your common sense and dont enter or count in a dangerous area.

It is by far the most accurate count.

You can volunteer or you may asked to take part.

Appreciate the feedback. I often wonder why homeless people choose where they do to bunk down for the night. I would be terrified to sleep in the doorway of a main business street. I understand that shelter from the rain is a priority hence sleeping in a place under an awning or some kind of protection but there must be thousands of spots in the city where you could be sheltered and not have the worry of some thug attacking you or urinating on you in your sleep. I think I would sneak into the grounds of a church after dark and hopefully find a dry spot. It would be quiet and no passersby to fcuk with you. You wouldn't have the cacophony of delivery trucks and stuff like that rumbling around you at 7am.

I would challenge anyone to take to the streets for a few weeks and practise what they preach. You have the clothes on your back, a sleeping bag and maybe 5 or 10 euros. You can't call any rich uncle for help to put you up in the Shelbourne. Your first 3 nights you HAVE to sleep rough. So the 10 euros goes towards something to eat. After that it's beginning to get dark and you need to find a place to sleep. You've called the freefone number but it's too late because all the available beds are taken. So you decide on the GPO. You don't get a wink of sleep (try sleeping on your kitchen floor with the doors open, the lights on and the radio playing...but at least you won't have to worry about getting kicked in the head by drunken scrotes going home from the club in your kitchen). You get up at 8am, shivering, knackered and nauseous. Oh and now you need to take a massive sh1t. Where does that happen? You try McDonallds but security refuse you entry. You try a few more places with the same result and eventually resort to a back alley. Newspaper to do the wiping. 3 or 4 days of that and you're going to look and smell pretty ripe. But now it's time to get one of those jobs that are so easy to come by. Do you rock up to the IFSC and stroll into the lobby of JP Morgan and ask for an application form? Walk into a restaurant, bar, retail outlet? Good luck with that.In the meantime you need money for food. Where does that come from. So you get a free sandwich and a cup of tea/soup...great. Try living on tea and a processed sandwich with no fruit or vegetables for a few days and see how you look. See how your skin is, your bowels, your eyes. Then go for that interview stinking to high heaven with no fixed abode.

I'm sure they'll throw a 20 grand signing-on bonus at you, replete with company car, use of the corporate box at Anfield and a generous remuneration package.

• Advertisement

Absolutly... as is my choice to take my business elsewhere which i think ill be doing.. :)

Why punish the shops? You can always ignore the beggars.

Antares35 wrote: »
    That old line is always trotted out. They "take our jobs" too even though during the Celtic tiger, you couldn't find an Irish person doing a "menial" job because it was beneath them. They are "given houses" and there's usually something about them "leaving brand new buggies at the bus stop because they can just claim a new one". Probably "takin our wimmin" too :D

It's that old "look after our own first" angst from people who don't really give a hoot about anyone, "our own" or otherwise.

And "they" come here claiming all sorts of government handouts yet they "take our jobs".

Which is it now? They are working of they are sponging?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

They go to a quiet lane , they also sleep in churchs or parks,
    jump over a fence , put down a sleeping bag, use a bag as a pillow.
    i see 3 tents every day, in the same place city centre area.
    Many business, s are closed at the moment.
    they don,t care if someone sleeps in a tent a car parking space .
    i think 90 per cent of homeless ,go to a hostel, hostels open at 11.30pm,
    people that sleep on the streets maybe do not like hostels .

i don,t know why a garage would allow someone to beg on private property on a forecourt
    That might put off potential customers there to buy petrol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Ok tell me where these Gypsies are sleeping rough so. I bet you can't tell me. As all of them have a cosy home to go back to after being driven home from their begging.

bmc58 wrote: »
    Why punish the shops? You can always ignore the beggars.

How would I or anyone be punishing the shops ? I’m simply choosing not to shop or buy petrol there because they are permitting and encouraging an environment where an individual continues to abuse customers and ignore social distancing not just outside their shop, ON their property :). You can’t access the shop without passing within a foot of him. The individual was ignored by myself quite simply. Punishing ? NO, being choosy who I give my money to, yes.

I stopped going into a pub about 4 years ago which I otherwise liked to pop into after shopping in the city on a Saturday or Sunday evening because they were that short staffed behind the bar that from getting up to get a pint to returning to your seat was about 10 minutes. Barman was useless. He saw us waiting once, acknowledged us then continued to stack till rolls for about 3 minutes and then without an apology which in fairness wouldn’t have made a difference..requested our order , an American friend who had a background in the service industry who I was with was picking her jaw off the floor at this and despite being their first time there was “sorry, no thanks we’ll go elsewhere ”. ...

Always be picky where you spend your money, if the shop / pub or venue don’t enable your comfort and safety, money gets spent elsewhere.

How would I or anyone be punishing the shops ? I’m simply choosing not to shop or buy petrol there because they are permitting and encouraging an environment where an individual continues to abuse customers and ignore social distancing not just outside their shop, ON their property :). You can’t access the shop without passing within a foot of him. The individual was ignored by myself quite simply. Punishing ? NO, being choosy who I give my money to, yes.

I stopped going into a pub about 4 years ago which I otherwise liked to pop into after shopping in the city on a Saturday or Sunday evening because they were that short staffed behind the bar that from getting up to get a pint to returning to your seat was about 10 minutes. Barman was useless. He saw us waiting once, acknowledged us then continued to stack till rolls for about 3 minutes and then without an apology which in fairness wouldn’t have made a difference..requested our order , an American friend who had a background in the service industry who I was with was picking her jaw off the floor at this and despite being their first time there was “sorry, no thanks we’ll go elsewhere ”. ...

Always be picky where you spend your money, if the shop / pub or venue don’t enable your comfort and safety, money gets spent elsewhere.
    Well it's your money and you can spend it where you want.But a beggar outside a shop wouldn't stop me shopping there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Antares35 wrote: »
    even though during the Celtic tiger, you couldn't find an Irish person doing a "menial" job because it was beneath them.

That's not true. I worked on a lot of different construction projects during the boom and there were plenty of Irish people labouring, cooking in the canteens, doing the security on the gate.
    Many hotels also had Irish staff changing the beds, housekeeping and working in the bars.

It's a bullshít statement that's trotted out all the time. Loads of foreign nationals in "menial" jobs but many Irish people also and who never would have thought it was beneath them.

Well I've never felt threatened by a poor sad person begging out a shop.They are normally holding a coffee cup and and just ask "any loose change"?I don't see anything threatening with that.

riclad wrote: »
    They go to a quiet lane , they also sleep in churchs or parks,
    jump over a fence , put down a sleeping bag, use a bag as a pillow.
    i see 3 tents every day, in the same place city centre area.
    Many business, s are closed at the moment.
    they don,t care if someone sleeps in a tent a car parking space .
    i think 90 per cent of homeless ,go to a hostel, hostels open at 11.30pm,
    people that sleep on the streets maybe do not like hostels .

i don,t know why a garage would allow someone to beg on private property on a forecourt
    That might put off potential customers there to buy petrol

The majority of hostels or emergency accommodations are open 24hrs , theres not that many night shelters and all open well before 11.30pm.

• Advertisement

riclad wrote: »
    Theres certain places they sleep in that are quiet ,if you cycle round dublin every morning you,ll see at least 5 tents where they sleep,
    most of them have a just sleeping bag,.
    In some american citys they have given over whole hotels to provide rooms for homeless people .
    some people do not want to go to hostels and prefer to sleep on the streets .
    i dont see them blocking the door .who is going to tell a homeless person to wear a mask.
    we have loads of empty hotel rooms , since theres very tourists coming to ireland.

theres plenty of hotels and B&Bs being used. Gardiner Street for example is nearly all homeless now

Advertisement