Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beggars sitting outside shops

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

If you see someone begging and they have a sleeping bag or a blanket
    its very likely they are homeless .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Can anything be done about them to move them on ?

To where exactly? Another shop? A park bench? Where?

They have as much right to be there as we.

Why are we so much better than they?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

To where exactly? Another shop? A park bench? Where?

They have as much right to be there as we.

Why are we so much better than they?

Maybe a DP centre.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

millions of them up in the phoenix park in tents, and they leave rubbish everywhere, even though the council have left a load of bin bags for them on the gates. This more than anything else piss's me off about them.

millions of them up in the phoenix park in tents, and they leave rubbish everywhere, even though the council have left a load of bin bags for them on the gates. This more than anything else piss's me off about them.
    That kind of happens when you don't have a home.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Just because one is homeless does not mean one forgets how to use a bin.

statesaver wrote: »
    Just because one is homeless does not mean one forgets how to use a bin.
    Just so.

I would then wager there is something more to the situation than at first appears.

Maybe they prefer to sleep in a tent in a park then go to a hostel where some people are using drugs, there could be a risk of getting covid19 there's maybe a few 1000 homeless people in dublin.
    Any woman with children will be living in a hotel

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

mfceiling wrote: »
    That's not true. I worked on a lot of different construction projects during the boom and there were plenty of Irish people labouring, cooking in the canteens, doing the security on the gate.
    Many hotels also had Irish staff changing the beds, housekeeping and working in the bars.

It's a bullshít statement that's trotted out all the time. Loads of foreign nationals in "menial" jobs but many Irish people also and who never would have thought it was beneath them.
    I was talking more about working in McDonalds etc.

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Ok tell me where these Gypsies are sleeping rough so. I bet you can't tell me. As all of them have a cosy home to go back to after being driven home from their begging.

They pay rent, to a landlord.

Pretty obvious I would have thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Antares35 wrote: »
    I was talking more about working in McDonalds etc.

So working in McDonalds is a menial job but sweeping floors on a building site or changing beds in a hotel isn't?
    McDonalds have plenty of Irish people working in it and are great employers to help their staff progress to supervisor/management roles.

Try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Mules

I know a woman living in a homeless hub with her kids. She said it's full of drug addicts and always being raided. You can imagine what the overnight hostels are like if the hubs are that bad. All the same, my understanding is that people who sleep rough have very complex needs that go beyond not being able to pay rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

They pay rent, to a landlord.

Pretty obvious I would have thought.

So why are they begging on the street if they can afford to pay rent? Can't you back your claim up with proof that they're paying rent? Where do they get the money for rent? Definitely not by working.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

Ok tell me where these Gypsies are sleeping rough so. I bet you can't tell me. As all of them have a cosy home to go back to after being driven home from their begging.

Are you a bit simple or something?

I could wait for the penny to drop but with you that could be a long time.

So I'll try to help you along here. Question: Does everyone in Ireland who lives in a house or flat just get given that house or flat?

Mod

Thread banned

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

So why are they begging on the street if they can afford to pay rent? Can't you back your claim up with proof that they're paying rent? Where do they get the money for rent? Definitely not by working.

What difference does it make WHERE they get the fcuking money from?

They are not gifted a house as you have tried to assert.

FFS.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Are you a bit simple or something?

I could wait for the penny to drop but with you that could be a long time.

So I'll try to help you along here. Question: Does everyone in Ireland who lives in a house or flat just get given that house or flat?

Mod

Do not post in here again.

You are very angry.

How prey tell could I back it up with evidence? What, realistically could I produce? I can only speak from experience dealing with them. Plenty sharing places in Dublin 1 and 7.

I don't believe any proof has been produced that they are claiming welfare and free houses either, has it?

They get the money for rent from begging of course. I dare say a bit of stealing from time to time as well. I don't recall saying otherwise.

They get the money for rent from begging of course. I dare say a bit of stealing from time to time as well. I don't recall saying otherwise.

......... a large bit of HAP I'd imagine also.

if you are homeless or living in a hse hostel you do not have to pay rent .
    I think some beggars are homeless ,some are young people who need money to buy drugs or drink.
    Since most young people dress in a similar casual style, jeans ,hoody, sneakers
    its hard to tell if someone is homeless or not.
    A homeless person will probably Not be wearing 500 Euro nike sneakers but i tend to just go into the shop .
    i do not want to get close to anyone who is not wearing a mask in public .
    I get young people walking up to me , saying have you got a euro,
    they are very well dressed ,they look the same as the average young person on youtube .

Augeo wrote: »
    ......... a large bit of HAP I'd imagine also.

Again no. I dunno why it needs to be repeated constantly but Gypsies and in fact no person can just rock into Ireland and voila, welfare.

I know biased propaganda would have us believe that but its not true. I am married to a foreign national, my children are not Irish. Its not that simple.

Very few Gypsies have PPS numbers because they have no interest in legitimate work and want to stay off the official radar. Its a mission to obtain their Romanian (Or other) ID cards off them sometimes.

Now if they really thought longterm, they could arrive with money in the bank and a place in a language school, get a PPS and then get a job long enough to qualify for welfare. Possible some do but they arent the ones I have met
    riclad wrote: »
    if you are homeless or living in a hse hostel you do not have to pay rent .

Thats incorrect. While the rate is very very low, there is a nominal fee involved for single people to obtain a place in a homeless shelter outside of the emergency ones. Theres also a curfew or the bed goes elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Again no. I dunno why it needs to be repeated constantly but Gypsies and in fact no person can just rock into Ireland and voila, welfare.

I know biased propaganda would have us believe that but its not true. I am married to a foreign national, my children are not Irish. Its not that simple.

Very few Gypsies have PPS numbers because they have no interest in legitimate work and want to stay off the official radar. Its a mission to obtain their Romanian (Or other) ID cards off them sometimes.

Now if they really thought longterm, they could arrive with money in the bank and a place in a language school, get a PPS and then get a job long enough to qualify for welfare. Possible some do but they arent the ones I have met

Thats incorrect. While the rate is very very low, there is a nominal fee involved for single people to obtain a place in a homeless shelter outside of the emergency ones. Theres also a curfew or the bed goes elsewhere.

Correct , you have to pay rent in hostels , its between 50 and 70 or so euros a week.STA , TEA type hostels etc.
    Theres not actually curfews , you may be asked to account for yourself if staying out on a regular basis.

If you book a bed in a One night only hostel your bed may be given back to the freephone.

I think the nominal charge is gone now , used to be 4.50.

Correct , you have to pay rent in hostels , its between 50 and 70 or so euros a week.STA , TEA type hostels etc.
    Theres not actually curfews , you may be asked to account for yourself if staying out on a regular basis.

If you book a bed in a One night only hostel your bed may be given back to the freephone.

I think the nominal charge is gone now , used to be 4.50.

You could be right on the 4.50. I shall enquire next time I think of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I’d always throw them a couple of quid, if I have it. If not a simple ‘sorry, I’ve no change’ will suffice.

These people are on one of the lowest “rungs” of society. Firing a few coins their way is the least I can do.

No theyre not, if you took the time some day and waited around until they were leaving, you'd see them getting into a nice big car (usually Mercs/BMW) and being driven home to their house/flat. The vast majority of beggars are not poor and thrive on people like you. Do you think a single one of them would give you a single cent if you were begging on the street? Not a chance, they wouldn't look twice at you.

No theyre not, if you took the time some day and waited around until they were leaving, you'd see them getting into a nice big car (usually Mercs/BMW) and being driven home to their house/flat. The vast majority of beggars are not poor and thrive on people like you. Do you think a single one of them would give you a single cent if you were begging on the street? Not a chance, they wouldn't look twice at you.

You can prove your point without exaggerating. Thats where you lose people. Most are not getting into high spec German cars unless its 20 years old and wouldnt pass an NCT to save the drivers life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

mfceiling wrote: »
    So working in McDonalds is a menial job but sweeping floors on a building site or changing beds in a hotel isn't?
    McDonalds have plenty of Irish people working in it and are great employers to help their staff progress to supervisor/management roles.

Try again.

I'm not getting into a merits debate with you on what constitutes a menial job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

theres plenty of hotels and B&Bs being used. Gardiner Street for example is nearly all homeless now

Staycity apartments Augustine Street also taken over by DCC for homeless people

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭corner of hells

messrs wrote: »
    Staycity apartments Augustine Street also taken over by DCC for homeless people

As a coccooning service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

As a coccooning service.

No not for cocooning. DCC have for the past few years had a number of them apartments taken for homeless but now they have the whole building for them

There are people living in tents on the street s,
    there are people sleeping on the streets at night with just a sleeping bag .why are they not living in a hotel.
    i presume its because they use drugs or else the do not want to live with other people,
    hotels for the hotels have rules,
    you have to go out at 12 noon, you need to come back before 11.30 pm.
    does each homeless person get one room to themselves.
    i do not know .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,884 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

messrs wrote: »
    No not for cocooning. DCC have for the past few years had a number of them apartments taken for homeless but now they have the whole building for them

Why are DCC not obliged to reserve 10% for private rental. Seems to be obligatory the other way around.

A tongue in cheek observation, obviously.

Advertisement