Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Guinness 470ml can

• 09-10-2020 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

I bought a slab of Guinness this evening, poured into my usual glass to discover it doesn't fill it up any more. Not only that but the old style widget is gone too.

New can is only 470ml, fresh stock from Dunnes Stores

Comments

This is due to a shortage of widgets. The usual widgets are being used for regular single can, 8 and 12 packs. The Christmas slabs use a different type of widget in the base of the can.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Oh god, another size for people to complain about! (see the 440ml thread)

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Cocoon

L1011 wrote: »
    Oh god, another size for people to complain about! (see the 440ml thread)

Nothing more satisfying than a nicely poured pint, this can't be achieved with a smaller can. Makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Cocoon wrote: »
    Nothing more satisfying than a nicely poured pint, this can't be achieved with a smaller can. Makes no sense.

Can't be achieved with 500ml either 😂

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Cocoon wrote: »

It'll probably fit the 500ml glasses they recently offered as a retail bonus better than the 500ml can did, though.

• Advertisement

I suspect that it is USA size. 470ml = 16oz or a USA pint.

It'll probably fit the 500ml glasses they recently offered as a retail bonus better than the 500ml can did, though.

This is how it poured in a pint glass..

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Was the difference reflected in the price at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 80,795 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

Ah here 2020 was bad enough without them starting to mess around with can sizes for Guinness.

Maybe there was an argument about, 440ml v 500ml and they split the difference :D:D

(I'll get my coat)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

If you can’t put the price up, then put the quantity down.

Was the difference reflected in the price at all?

Priced at €34 for the slab, if the 12 pack remains unaffected I'll buy that in future.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Darc19 wrote: »
    I suspect that it is USA size. 470ml = 16oz or a USA pint.
    If that's the capacity of the can then you're getting less beer than that because of the widget displacement. Left Hand's nitro-widget cans, which I assume are a standard 16oz, advertise 404ml of beer inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭1990sman

oh God no. say it isn't so!

• Registered Users Posts: 80,795 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

Just a heads up if you hadn't seen it on the BA forum, from tomorrow it's 2 crates of Guinness for €50 in Dunnes so €40 with the voucher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭VeVeX

begbysback wrote: »
    If you can’t put the price up, then put the quantity down.

That's why there's only two bites in a snickers now. You need a microfiche machine to see a current funsize snickers.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Diageo in profit squeezing shocker...

This is literally only affecting the Christmas slabs. All other packs of Guinness are the same as before. They usually do about 700,000 slabs at Christmas but only have 400,000 widgets to spare this year so the slabs get put out in the smaller cans with the different widget in the base.

This is literally only affecting the Christmas slabs. All other packs of Guinness are the same as before. They usually do about 700,000 slabs at Christmas but only have 400,000 widgets to spare this year so the slabs get put out in the smaller cans with the different widget in the base.

How is changing supply chains and production kit to get a smaller can with a different widget that much easier than just making more floating widgets?

How is changing supply chains and production kit to get a smaller can with a different widget that much easier than just making more floating widgets?

I have no idea, it's just what our Diageo rep told us at work.

• Advertisement

I have no idea, it's just what our Diageo rep told us at work.

Diageo excel at marketing spin. Hence the two part pour and indeed every single bit of Guinness mythology.

Its not a plausible reason, basically. What other product (by anyone at all) uses a 470ml can with a fixed widget that would cause there to be a significant supply available?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

I'll be getting a load of Beamish so

• Registered Users Posts: 23,179 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Don’t buy it. Each cab requires a widget , if there’s a widget shortage then are the cans bigger

Please don't talk about Beamish, I'll have to go rock back and forth in the corner if its mentioned too much. The one benefit of visiting lots of vaguely sketchy inner city pubs is they usually have decent pints of Beamish for half nothing and I've been missing it since March.

Please don't talk about Beamish, I'll have to go rock back and forth in the corner if its mentioned too much. The one benefit of visiting lots of vaguely sketchy inner city pubs is they usually have decent pints of Beamish for half nothing and I've been missing it since March.
    This is also how I discovered a taste for it ! It's not bad out of a can (to my surprise).

This is also how I discovered a taste for it ! It's not bad out of a can (to my surprise).

I worry that the pour is illicit. The devil is a terrible paymaster and so is an awkward can decanted into a glass. I fear for the soul of man, is there any hope for absolution.

I worry that the pour is illicit. The devil is a terrible paymaster and so is an awkward can decanted into a glass. I fear for the soul of man, is there any hope for absolution.
    ? You've lost me !

I think bed might be the best for you now haha

BeerNut wrote: »
    If that's the capacity of the can then you're getting less beer than that because of the widget displacement. Left Hand's nitro-widget cans, which I assume are a standard 16oz, advertise 404ml of beer inside.

Legally if it states 470ml contents it must have 470ml.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 396 ✭✭Open the Pubs

First they take our pints and pubs now they take our cans :(

And they're threatening the offies, plus on Tuesday it's the budget we know what that means. :(

• Advertisement

First they take our pints and pubs now they take our cans :(

And they're threatening the offies, plus on Tuesday it's the budget we know what that means. :(

The last alcohol excise increase was 2013; the "old reliables" just became the "old reliable" of tobacco in recent years.

I think that excise increase was actually just returning it to an older level as it had actually been cut to try help the sector in the crash; but I might be imagining that!

Advertisement