Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Guinness 470ml can

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭dzilla

This Guinness can draught tap is not new. I have seen it in Spain since the 00s . There's a special can you can buy I think they are even on Amazon that cannot be openned by hand. I think it was specifically for the tourist trade back then. Nowadays I think they get the kegs out there so not much of a market for the can tap. It was the system in the video posted here and not the surger can.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The surger cans are 520ml. I was saying I reckoned you need 530-540ml to fill a pint properly. The settled surger cans at 520ml show it is still not enough, they have an overly large head.

What I'm saying is any busy pub's barstaff will look at yer man's instructions for pouring one can into a glass, t
    And I was saying it can likely be poured in 1 go, just like a regular can, and just like a regular pub taps can if you are skilled enough. I reckon part of the reason for the 2 pour gimmick is to make is easier on barstaff.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Marty1983

rubadub wrote: »

And I was saying it can likely be poured in 1 go, just like a regular can, and just like a regular pub taps can if you are skilled enough. I reckon part of the reason for the 2 pour gimmick is to make is easier on barstaff.

Its a pain in the hole for bar staff, especially if its busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭almostover

rubadub wrote: »
    The surger cans are 520ml. I was saying I reckoned you need 530-540ml to fill a pint properly. The settled surger cans at 520ml show it is still not enough, they have an overly large head.

What sort of an abomination is that? It's the kind of gimmick I would love but the pint at the end looks a little bit lacklustre. Best way to deal with the 470ml cans, buy a slab of beamish boi!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

almostover wrote: »
    What sort of an abomination is that?
    A minor variation on the steel keg abomination used to serve Guinness in Irish pubs since the early 1960s.
    1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
    2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
    3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    Someone on the beer bargain thread that has done a blind taste test comparing the 470 and 500ml cans, with predictable results if you’ve ever witnessed blind taste testing. Credit to the poster for novel use of face masks.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057168220&page=630

I hope to repeat it with the same trio this weekend, but with the 0.0 (if it's available)

I would hope that the three of us will notice some difference on this taste test. The hope is that the difference is not too much as it would be nice to have a few pints of 0.0 and drive.

Ugh. London Guinness is not good Guinness. Either no head or half the pint is head, and always too warm.

The old Park Royal guinness was muck. It was so bad that many Irish pubs imported kegs directly.

The most important ingredient in beer is water and London water is recycled on average seven times.

But it closed many years ago and any decent pub that looks after it's lines will serve a decent pint. Problem is that many English pubs don't look after their lines terribly well.

I'm fond of Arthur's pour in the local, there isn't a snowball's chance in the Sahara I'll be touching a Brexit influenced folly. They can shrink my Cadburys, they won't shrink my Guinness. Lockdown or no lockdown, send it back to the Diageo execs at room temperature with vinegar on top.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Darc19 wrote: »
    The most important ingredient in beer is water and London water is recycled on average seven times.

I'm sure the 192 breweries based in London would tell you that's not an issue.

The process for reverse osmosis of water was industrialised in the late 1960s. Breweries the size of St James's Gate and Park Royal don't just turn on the tap and hope for the best. When Park Royal wanted Dublin water, they simply made some.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 396 ✭✭Open the Pubs

Ugh. London Guinness is not good Guinness. Either no head or half the pint is head, and always too warm.

It's actually amazing how terrible Guinness is in London compared to here. Surely there has been enough Irish over in London and involved in pub trade that would have improved things.

There are some gems though, I try get to the Auld Triangle in Finsbury Park when over for matches. Best I've had outside Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭91wx763

The old Park Royal guinness was muck. It was so bad that many Irish pubs imported kegs directly.

But it closed many years ago and any decent pub that looks after it's lines will serve a decent pint. Problem is that many English pubs don't look after their lines terribly well.

Park Royal Guinness (apparently) wasn't that bad at source, an issue alleged was that the kegs had a gas unit in the keg which often applied too much gas and then ran out too soon. GB pubs also had "one push" button dispense which served exactly a pint each time which didn't really work for Guinness. To this day pubs also still manage to put the wrong blend of gas on.

Today all Guinness comes from Dublin, yes like you say some pubs in GB don't clean their lines but that was no different to Ireland years ago when pubs used to clean (or not clean !) their own lines which is now done by a Guinness man in a van unlike in GB.

It is in no publican's interest to serve nasty beer and unlike Ireland where Guinness is the lowest cost product to a publican, in GB it is a premium priced product where the likes of Carling and Blackthorn cider would be the lowest.

irish_goat wrote: »
    I'm sure the 192 breweries based in London would tell you that's not an issue.

Not an issue if that is what you are used to. But make any of the beers that those 192 breweries in say the north of Scotland and you will notice a difference.

The regulars would then call the Scottish version of their brew "muck".

We were so used to the local irish guinness that the old park royal stuff tasted different, and in time honored tradition, we called it "muck" even if it was OK.

Same with the 470ml, the notion that it is different makes people think it is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭91wx763

Not an issue if that is what you are used to. But make any of the beers that those 192 breweries in say the north of Scotland and you will notice a difference.

We were so used to the local irish guinness that the old park royal stuff tasted different, and in time honored tradition, we called it "muck" even if it was OK.

Same with the 470ml, the notion that it is different makes people think it is different.

You'd find quite a few pubs in GB now stocking a "nitro" stout, and some at a lower price than Guinness (see previous post). A pub I visit in Worcester stocks a stout from Kent !!! The small real ale breweries often keg their stouts in a similar manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭almostover

BeerNut wrote: »
    A minor variation on the steel keg abomination used to serve Guinness in Irish pubs since the early 1960s.

I'm 29, this does not bode well for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

These new cans are a bit like a priest. Get a bad one and they'll rip the hole off ya!

As The Beer Nut says though, you can adjust the water to match any location in the world. Usual Guinness bolloxology by the sounds of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Wrong, English pubs would clean their lines weekly.

Irish pubs can't do it themselves so have to get someone in.

Main problem in English pubs is a single chiller for all their lines. Hence the extra cold crap

RasTa wrote: »
    Main problem in English pubs is a single chiller for all their lines. Hence the extra cold crap

Diageo in Ireland tend now to run all their beers through one chiller as well. Also, the anecdote in this thread is that London Guinness is served too warm.

Diageo in Ireland tend now to run all their beers through one chiller as well. Also, the anecdote in this thread is that London Guinness is served too warm.

No chiller then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,741 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Does any other product produce as many "experts" who spout completely uninformed nonsense about said product.

I mean do fans of Brennan's bread think that they are experts on all things bread and baking and come up with hair brained theories as to why Brennan's is unlike any other bread and behaves differently to any other bread and you have to be trained and experienced to butter it?

Does any other product produce as many "experts" who spout completely uninformed nonsense about said product.

I mean do fans of Brennan's bread think that they are experts on all things bread and baking and come up with hair brained theories as to why Brennan's is unlike any other bread and behaves differently to any other bread and you have to be trained and experienced to butter it?

You not drinking with your eyes?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Aidan Harney

I've heard a fair amount of **** talked about both whiskey and coffee.

Separately obviously ðŸ˜.
    Having said that I've recently drank jameson blended with coffee.. I digress..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,741 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I've heard a fair amount of **** talked about both whiskey and coffee.

Neither coffee of whiskey are brands.
    It's not comparable.

While you might find it wanky and are not interested, in my experience, the coffee **** mostly know what they are talking about.
    Yes, there is a lot of boloxology around whiskey but, again, it isn't reserved for one particular brand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 396 ✭✭Open the Pubs

Bad start for Guinness 0.0, it's contaminated and being recalled. Anyone who already purchased is urged to discard.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/food-and-drink/guinness-recalls-new-non-alcoholic-stout-in-precautionary-move-1.4406226?mode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Bad start for Guinness 0.0, it's contaminated and being recalled. Anyone who already purchased is urged to discard.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/food-and-drink/guinness-recalls-new-non-alcoholic-stout-in-precautionary-move-1.4406226?mode=amp

There's a lot of chat about this in the alcohol free thread.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=115254255#post115254255

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

"While there is not likely to be many people in Ireland in possession of the cans of the new stout, anyone who does have a can is being encouraged to dispose of it."

Wait, what? Dispose of it? Eh - if I had any (and would have purchased some to try, I'd love a 0.0 stout) - then no, I would not be pouring it down the sink, I'd be bringing it back to the retailer for a full refund. What a stupid thing to print!

Wait, what? Dispose of it? Eh - if I had any (and would have purchased some to try, I'd love a 0.0 stout) - then no, I would not be pouring it down the sink, I'd be bringing it back to the retailer for a full refund. What a stupid thing to print!

Judging by this forum I don't think they've sold any. So anyone with a can has probably gotten it as a free sample.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Judging by this forum I don't think they've sold any. So anyone with a can has probably gotten it as a free sample.

I saw a couple of Irish beer bloggers had cans, but they were all promo cans sent by Guiness. As evidenced in the alcohol free thread, no retail over the last couple of days despite the supposed 9 November launch. I suppose this explains it.

• Advertisement

The email I got today from their PR firm offered to come round and collect it.

Advertisement