Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Guinness 470ml can

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Imagine paying for a nice pint in the pub and getting that sh!te

It looks a lot better than a lot of pints I have got in pubs!

Either the can is not 500ml or the glass is not 568ml, since you cannot get a decent size head like that with a regular 500ml can in a proper pint glass.

You need about 530-540ml to fill a pint glass properly with guinness. The CE mark you see on glasses is to do with the volume, random unmarked "pint glasses" can vary a fair bit. If you keep an extra can on the go you can pour a little in first and then a 500ml can in on top and get a nice head, with the domed top, this results in a nice compact dense foam head, rather than the horrible sparse foamy ones you see people getting when they turn cans upside down in an attempt to get a head reaching the top, looks like washing up liquid froth.

A dome like this
    Guinness-measure.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Surprised you think Guinness tastes the exact same from a can as it does from a proper keg set up.
    Again: what would you expect to be wrong/different with the canned one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

BeerNut wrote: »
    I am sure that there are technical descriptions to describe why I don't find cans "as nice", but suffice to say, I have never found cans as nice as a good regular pint. That's not to say cans aren't nice in their own right, they are, but if I go to a pub to get a pint of Guinness I want a regular pint, not a can poured from a machine designed to make a spectacle of pouring a can.

rubadub wrote: »
    It looks a lot better than a lot of pints I have got in pubs!

Either the can is not 500ml or the glass is not 568ml, since you cannot get a decent size head like that with a regular 500ml can in a proper pint glass.

You need about 530-540ml to fill a pint glass properly with guinness. The CE mark you see on glasses is to do with the volume, random unmarked "pint glasses" can vary a fair bit. If you keep an extra can on the go you can pour a little in first and then a 500ml can in on top and get a nice head, with the domed top, this results in a nice compact dense foam head, rather than the horrible sparse foamy ones you see people getting when they turn cans upside down in an attempt to get a head reaching the top, looks like washing up liquid froth.

A dome like this
    Guinness-measure.jpg
    Yes sh!te was perhaps a bit harsh, it looks tasty enough. I would still feel a bit hard done by if I was expecting a normal pint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

BeerNut wrote: »

Don't think a Guinness can is proper nitro pour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

Here the guys in the Canteen talking about the 470ml cans today saying how bad they are.
    Wonder if Guinness will carry on producing these cans ?

If the head of the Guinness doesn't look like this, I say no thanks and walk out.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Geuze wrote: »
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/pandemic-leads-to-supply-issue-of-floating-widgets-in-cans-of-guinness-39652053.html

Funny:

A third caller, Dave Dunne, said that the missing 30ml is a “mouthful” and in a slab of 24 cans, adds up to “24 mouthfuls”.

“I didn’t realise till I bought them that they were the small cans and they poured very very badly, with a tiny collar

“Someone says to me, it wasn’t dancing in the glass at all, it was like a vicar’s collar,” he added.

The vicars collar thing reminds of our local. Some of the old timers drank Guinness with a drop of port rather than blackcurrant. Afair it was colloquially known as a vicars kiss :pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Here the guys in the Canteen talking about the 470ml cans today saying how bad they are.

Unless the law is changed, almost certainly

Got a slab last week and tried one. Does not taste like normal canned Guinness imo. Not a fan tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭DuffleBag

So did some more investigating. The Micro Draught will be used for the 0.0cans and for in restaurant cafes that don't have taps etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

DuffleBag wrote: »
    So did some more investigating. The Micro Draught will be used for the 0.0cans and for in restaurant cafes that don't have taps etc

I'm assuming the 0.0 cans still aren't out in Ireland yet? I've been keeping an eye out but haven't seen them / heard about them. Am just curious at this point!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

6541 wrote: »
    I was stuck in Fuerteventura at the start of the Pandemic. Stuck in an apartment not allowed leave except for the shop. I used to buy Guinness in the supermarket 4 cans like 16 Euro's. The till operator actually commented on the price and how expensive it was.

Sometimes a guy needs a Guinness.

Guinness is $9 a can at Heavenly Ski Resort in California

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭DuffleBag

Pen Rua wrote: »
    I'm assuming the 0.0 cans still aren't out in Ireland yet? I've been keeping an eye out but haven't seen them / heard about them. Am just curious at this point!

On sale from this coming Monday!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Ah - very good, thanks for the info!

Looking forward to giving this a bash

I'm reliably informed they're not the same cans you can buy etc. They can't be opened by hand. Longer and thinner cans with no hand opening. These machines are also just for pubs who don't have guinness taps (imagine that)
    You can see in the video he shows the can. This is why I was wondering if htey are larger than normal, as 500ml is unsuitable for a pint glass.

I can picture these in the likes of restaurants, esp. where tourists may be about and expect a guinness, it will not be in the likes of O Donoghues on Merrion Row who are contstantly on the pour. Many restaurants already do cans, and they look appalling, since as I said 500ml is not suitable for a 568ml glass.

A pub could possibly get one in on Patricks day if they need more taps, or outside in beer gardens, at gigs, festivals. Rented out for home parties, office parties etc. People in lockdown are already getting full keg setups, you can see it in various forums here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

A pub could possibly get one in on Patricks day if they need more taps, or outside in beer gardens, at gigs, festivals.

No they absolutely could not, not unless they want a riot! If they're really busy, they're not going to faff around with four or five minutes of messing per single can - they'd be lynched!

Especially when good barstaff could have 6 pints pulled in the same time in a pub, and the usual festival setup has multiple multi-pour machines per bar that do up to 16 pints at a time!

No they absolutely could not, not unless they want a riot! If they're really busy, they're not going to faff around with four or five minutes of messing per single can - they'd be lynched!

Especially when good barstaff could have 6 pints pulled in the same time in a pub, and the usual festival setup has multiple multi-pour machines per bar that do up to 16 pints at a time!
    If you ever see good bar staff in a busy pub or festival they will operate several taps all at once. In Iveagh gardens they had single kegs and coolers along the sides of the "pitch", with the main bar towards the back.

You hardly think I am suggesting a buy pub is going to close down their regular taps and ONLY have these?!!

In Leopardstowns races you would see additional little vans etc setup as the bars cannot cope.

The 2 part pour is also probably not needed, it is not needed with real kegs and I guess this would be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

You can see in the video he shows the can. This is why I was wondering if htey are larger than normal, as 500ml is unsuitable for a pint glass.

I can picture these in the likes of restaurants, esp. where tourists may be about and expect a guinness, it will not be in the likes of O Donoghues on Merrion Row who are contstantly on the pour. Many restaurants already do cans, and they look appalling, since as I said 500ml is not suitable for a 568ml glass.

A pub could possibly get one in on Patricks day if they need more taps, or outside in beer gardens, at gigs, festivals. Rented out for home parties, office parties etc. People in lockdown are already getting full keg setups, you can see it in various forums here.

I am nearly 100% certain Guinness had a vibration can system that you would see in overseas bars before this?
    Presume it's that market, would be better than buying a pint that's been sitting in a line forever most likely.

• Advertisement

I am nearly 100% certain Guinness had a vibration can system that you would see in overseas bars before this?
    Presume it's that market, would be better than buying a pint that's been sitting in a line forever most likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭KnicksInSix

Rasta that brings back memories of a few different Irish pubs in Bozen and Innsbruck, I had almost forgotten that existed.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Timistry

I had a slab under my arm today about to go to the till until I remembered the wise words of the people in this thread.

If you ever see good bar staff in a busy pub or festival they will operate several taps all at once. In Iveagh gardens they had single kegs and coolers along the sides of the "pitch", with the main bar towards the back.

You hardly think I am suggesting a buy pub is going to close down their regular taps and ONLY have these?!!

In Leopardstowns races you would see additional little vans etc setup as the bars cannot cope.

The 2 part pour is also probably not needed, it is not needed with real kegs and I guess this would be the same.

I'm not suggesting that at all. What I'm saying is any busy pub's barstaff will look at yer man's instructions for pouring one can into a glass, taking about 4 minutes for a single can, and they'll tell him to feck off with his can-pouring machine, precisely because they can operate several taps at once and can knock out 6 or 8 proper draught pints while Mr Diageo is saying "And if this lights up, it means you need to clean it, but just ignore that, click here to get rid of it..."

Someone mentioned it as a setup for an office party and I can see it working at something like that, or a bbq, but not anywhere mad busy or professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,887 ✭✭✭thesandeman

In my thirty five years of being a barman that contraption is the biggest load of absolute shíte I have ever witnessed.

I remember many years ago being in a bar in London and bravely deciding to try a pint of the local Guinness. I got served a pint with no head on it and when I asked that I be given a proper pint with a head on it. I was told no - thats the way it was served. Not surprisingly I didn't drink or pay for it and we went to another pub. Looks like we're back to that type of crack again tbh.

gozunda wrote: »
    I remember many years ago being in a bar in London and bravely deciding to try a pint of the local Guinness. I got served a pint with no head on it and when I asked that I be given a proper pint with a head on it. I was told no - thats the way it was served. Not surprisingly I didn't drink or pay for it and we went to another pub. Looks like we're back to that type of crack again tbh.

Ugh. London Guinness is not good Guinness. Either no head or half the pint is head, and always too warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭maddness

My father is not very well and obviously staying at home at them moment and like myself missing his pints of Guinness. I’ve been buying him a tray of 24 Guinness cans every now and then and the latest one is the 470ml cans. Every one he’s opened has been flat. Are they all flat? If so I’ll just throw the rest out and look for the 500ml cans for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Someone on the beer bargain thread that has done a blind taste test comparing the 470 and 500ml cans, with predictable results if you’ve ever witnessed blind taste testing. Credit to the poster for novel use of face masks.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057168220&page=630

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,754 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    Someone on the beer bargain thread that has done a blind taste test comparing the 470 and 500ml cans, with predictable results if you’ve ever witnessed blind taste testing. Credit to the poster for novel use of face masks.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057168220&page=630

But still, people won't believe it.

It's amazing how many people "know" stuff about the drinks they consume but absolutely refuse to do blind taste tests because the don't need to!

Advertisement