Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Guinness 470ml can

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 396 ✭✭Open the Pubs

One might think this little switcharoo would be publicised or have a price reduction? Of course not in the rip off republic!

Just seen a family member has purchased 24 of these bad boys, that won't fill the glass. How many will do the same and they piss off in the process? Nice one Diageo! How can they run out of widgets!?

L1011 wrote: »
    The last alcohol excise increase was 2013; the "old reliables" just became the "old reliable" of tobacco in recent years.

I think that excise increase was actually just returning it to an older level as it had actually been cut to try help the sector in the crash; but I might be imagining that!
    Isn't there minimum pricing coming soon too? Although from what I gather this will affect the Tesco cider and Dutch Gold drinkers rather than Guinness?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

What's also coming soon is a ban on price based promotions, and quantity discounts. What that means is, if you offer, say 24 cans of 500ml for €24, then if you also sell single cans of the same product they cannot be sold for more than €1.
    But if you sell, say slabs of 470ml cans, but don't offer the same product in lesser quantities, then quantity discount doesn't come into play.

Or, you know, maybe they're just out of widgets, as the rep said...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

Less is More

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

noby wrote: »
    What's also coming soon is a ban on price based promotions, and quantity discounts. What that means is, if you offer, say 24 cans of 500ml for €24, then if you also sell single cans of the same product they cannot be sold for more than €1.
    But if you sell, say slabs of 470ml cans, but don't offer the same product in lesser quantities, then quantity discount doesn't come into play.

I think this is it in a nutshell. The new law comes into effect in early January when stock of Christmas slabs are likely to still be floating around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

There is only 1 solution to this. Book a return flight to Australia, quarantine for 2 weeks in a hotel at your own expense, then head into the city and buy yourself a scooner glass and then fly home. Then you can pour the Guinness and it will be a full glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

There is quite a difference.
    I don't see why we have to bend over for Americanisms all the time.

A proper pint is called imperial pint in the colonies and is 20 fl ounces, not a feeble 16.

cansizes-cc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

noby wrote: »

They may ban sales of more than 2L in a package, so no more slabs of 24 - instead 6 x 4 packs.

It's a psychological thing of loading up a trolley with numerous packs

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Cocoon wrote: »
    Nothing more satisfying than a nicely poured pint, this can't be achieved with a smaller can. Makes no sense.

The trick is to add water to the glass first, then pour the Guinness, and it'll reach the correct level.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

There is only 1 solution to this. Book a return flight to Australia, quarantine for 2 weeks in a hotel at your own expense, then head into the city and buy yourself a scooner glass and then fly home. Then you can pour the Guinness and it will be a full glass.

Probably cheaper to order one off Amazon, but the holiday could be nice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Effects wrote: »
    The trick is to add water to the glass first, then pour the Guinness, and it'll reach the correct level.

Or add guinness from a can. If you do not drink a lot you can pour it in a bottle and keep it in the fridge. About a half inch does it.

If they are doing this to scam the discount system I can imagine the poor (pour?) engineers who worked on this multi million euro project are even more sickened to see them actually reduce it down further!

What a complete and utter waste, I have said before the conspiracy theorist in me makes me think they never wanted people to have a decent pint at home, makes no sense to have the 500ml size, the can is NOT standardised in size in case anybody comes up with that excuse, it had to grow to house the widget. I have never seen a decent looking poured 500ml can of guinness in a 568ml glass, it simply cannot happen, unless your standards are in the gutter.

470 might suit a 500ml glass though, as mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

Noticed the these cans on sale in dunnes on Saturday and thought I was seeing things also I noted on the side on these 470 ml cans that the contact details are for both NI and ROI which I have never seen before - they normally sell 440 ml in the north with UK contact details in then and 500 ml in the south have ROI contacts- also I noticed looking at the base of the cans these are manufactured in Runcorn GH/GJ are the caning lines in Runcorn and GE is the line in Belfast - BG is a canning partner they use when they are busy but only can largers like Carlsberg harp and tuburg no nitro beers - the irish 500 mls are normally canned in Belfast maybe it’s just a one off for Christmas or as pointed out it’s to do with. MUP.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Nothing to do with MUP, but with the ban on multi-buy promotions from January 11th next.

Presumably slab deals will be illegal if the price-per-can works out cheaper than the price a single can retails for but if the slabs consist of cans that aren't sold loose, then that should be fine.

A trick they can do with bars in multipacks is not have the legally required nutritional info listed on the individual wrappers, only on the main one. The "from a mulitpack, not to be sold singly" has no legal bearing.

But now many bars have gone below 50g and I think they might be exempt.

They could have a different barcode on the cans I guess, or if the law covers that it could be reduced to 4.1% like in the UK.

I think I will just pay for the 4, 8 or 12 packs if they remain at 500ml. Why must we be such a nanny state and try to ban everything,

begbysback wrote: »
    If you can’t put the price up, then put the quantity down.

There's a 2 Ronnies sketch about British Rail and theres a line in it something like: "Despite recent inflation we have not increased the price of a cup of tea on our services. We have however, reduced the size of the cup".

Isn't there minimum pricing coming soon too? Although from what I gather this will affect the Tesco cider and Dutch Gold drinkers rather than Guinness?

Theres a huge other thread for that discussion, but do you not think when Dutch Gold costs the same as Guinness, they might put up the price of Guinness to distinguish it from the "cheaper" brands?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Why must we be such a nanny state and try to ban everything,

Cause we drink too much and can't control our own intake. It's seriously bad for your health.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Mod: Please keep the discussion on topic.

Just wondering if the 470ml can is the same height as regular 500ml cans of non-widget beers. Might be handier for can stacking, printing, shrinkwrapping etc.

guy saying/wondering similar here
    tobsey wrote: »
    You lose just over a can in the 24. I'm surprised it took them this long to do it. The widget meant the guinness cans were always bigger. Now I guess they are standard 500ml cans but the widget takes up some space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Chevy RV

Drink Fraud:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

Boycott them

• Registered Users Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I find this pretty funny.
    If craft beer drinkers are freaking out about not 500ml cans I can only imagine the consternation of Guinness drinkers!

500ml good
    568ml good

Any other capacity Nooooooooo!

500ml good
    568ml good
    Neither of them are good, I wonder what the ideal size was they came up with to fill a pint glass. There is no way they overlooked the fact that a 500ml makes for a totally shite bishops collar in a pint glass.

I think 530-540ml would suit a 568ml glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

rubadub wrote: »
    Just wondering if the 470ml can is the same height as regular 500ml cans of non-widget beers. Might be handier for can stacking, printing, shrinkwrapping etc.

guy saying/wondering similar here

The 470ml can is the same height as a standard 500ml non-widget can.

I wasnt going to get these if they were e30 as Aldi for one have 12 for e15.

Went back to Aldi today and they had these for e20 which despite the smaller size is still better value than the smaller packs.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

They are 30€ a slab in D/S got a €5 voucher with my shopping on Saturday so I got the tray for 25€

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

This topic is on whineline today. Diageo will be on with their excuses

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

Diageo are going to comment on this issue on today’s Liveline with Joe Duffy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Topic currently live on Liveline!

Advertisement