Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Pandemic Information- Local and Worldwide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Settle lads, the newest estimate in that article was 1 in 50 had some recurring symptoms 2 months later. That's not very high especially when some of those symptoms would be caused/made worse by the restrictions on society

Settle lads, the newest estimate in that article was 1 in 50 had some recurring symptoms 2 months later. That's not very high especially when some of those symptoms would be caused/made worse by the restrictions on society

If you get it it becomes 100%, that's the issue.

If you get it it becomes 100%, that's the issue.

These same types of side effects have always been occurring from hundreds of common viruses. Too many people have gotten addicted to the relentless hysteria

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭jaymla627

These same types of side effects have always been occurring from hundreds of common viruses. Too many people have gotten addicted to the relentless hysteria

It won't be a patch on the outrage, when the lightbulb moment hits the highly paid public sector upper class that their high earning salaries and gold plated pensions will vanish overnight when the sheer scale of goverment debt becomes unmanageable....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,976 ✭✭✭alps

Gov need to start making people pay now..

Can't make out why fines are not part of the enforcement process..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,976 ✭✭✭alps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

alps wrote: »

Yeah, saw that earlier. Some people don't have the sense they were born with.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,836 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

We don't know what the side effects will be long term. This is a new virus and such impacts are still accumulating and not fully assessed yet.

It's hardly relentless hysteria to be concerned whether this will have a wider impact on that front than say, the common cold, if that's one of the "hundreds of common viruses" you are comparing this to.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,856 ✭✭✭endainoz

Yeah, saw that earlier. Some people don't have the sense they were born with.

And this is proof that level 3 won't change much at all. The 201 Beemer in the driveway just adds to the self entitlement.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Gov need to start making people pay now..

Can't make out why fines are not part of the enforcement process..

Because we're not in 1980's East Germany.

Civil liberties are being quickly thrown to one side by people in this country.

It's becoming neighbour informing on neighbour to the authorities. Exactly like East Germany.

https://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/east-german-domestic-surveillance-went-far-beyond-the-stasi-a-1042883.html

People want to cop themselves on. And that's not just the ones with beemers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭emaherx

There are 3 marquee's up outside some houses in a housing estate up the road from me and cars parked up all along the main road in front of the estate since the weekend. Doubt the Gardaí will have the balls to visit that particular gathering though.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    We don't know what the side effects will be long term. This is a new virus and such impacts are still accumulating and not fully assessed yet.

It's hardly relentless hysteria to be concerned whether this will have a wider impact on that front than say, the common cold, if that's one of the "hundreds of common viruses" you are comparing this to.

We have even less of an idea of what the long term societal and economic impacts will be...
    Assuming covid will be worse is a very dangerous game to be playing.
    A large number of people do run into complications from benign viruses. Most of these conditions are never linked to their cause but society is very much in the mindset of drawing links from every condition going to covid

• Registered Users Posts: 29,355 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

emaherx wrote: »
    There are 3 marquee's up outside some houses in a housing estate up the road from me and cars parked up all along the main road in front of the estate since the weekend. Doubt the Gardaí will have the balls to visit that particular gathering though.

I was going to a game in navan a few weeks ago. I got lost and ended up in an estate were I didn't want to be. A big marquee on the green, loads of empty cans and bottles around. Fire still smoking. Doubt they kept to the guidelines

endainoz wrote: »
    And this is proof that level 3 won't change much at all. The 201 Beemer in the driveway just adds to the self entitlement.

Has everyone forgotten about all the house parties taking place back in the spring, black lives matter protests etc and still numbers dropped with a tiny proportion of people wearing masks...
    But now all of a sudden fairly minor number of infringements are the cause of all the increases...

We have even less of an idea of what the long term societal and economic impacts will be...
    Assuming covid will be worse is a very dangerous game to be playing.
    A large number of people do run into complications from benign viruses. Most of these conditions are never linked to their cause but society is very much in the mindset of drawing links from every condition going to covid

It's not a dangerous game at all, it is an entirely reasonable and prudent response and frankly absurd to suggest otherwise i.e. that we shouldn't be more concerned about a new virus causing such impacts than known entities for example, the cold or known flu strains.
    Yes, in assessing whether covid turns out to be more severe, we can use them as benchmarks. But to simply presume, oh it'll fall the same pattern as cold or flu is a dangerous game imo.

What does the long economic impacts have to do with whether people are experiencing long term symptoms or not???
    Why are you deliberately muddying the waters by linking them somehow?
    You are attempting to tie the two together in such a way as implying we should ignore or downplay such long term health repercussions for economic reasons. If that is your position I utterly reject it as dishonest.
    If it's not your position, stop muddying the waters in such a way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Slurry tank and rain gun would sort them scumbags out fairly quickly. ACI flat earth society.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭emaherx

whelan2 wrote: »
    I was going to a game in navan a few weeks ago. I got lost and ended up in an estate were I didn't want to be. A big marquee on the green, loads of empty cans and bottles around. Fire still smoking. Doubt they kept to the guidelines

Could well be the very same estate.

Has everyone forgotten about all the house parties taking place back in the spring, black lives matter protests etc and still numbers dropped with a tiny proportion of people wearing masks...
    But now all of a sudden fairly minor number of infringements are the cause of all the increases...

House parties in the spring were not that common, there were only a few blm protests in Ireland and while there wasn't 100% mask wearing there was a lot. What you didn't mention was that at the time of those protests cases were quite low anyway, due to the restrictions before that.

Are you trying to say that restrictions don't make a difference to cases rising or falling at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

jaymla627 wrote: »
    It won't be a patch on the outrage, when the lightbulb moment hits the highly paid public sector upper class that their high earning salaries and gold plated pensions will vanish overnight when the sheer scale of goverment debt becomes unmanageable....

Public service will be paid well no matter how poor the country is, we all know civil servants that moved house during the last recession when prices were on the floor....... they were the only ones that were in a position to do it.
    It's ironic that the last increases they got before the recession benefitted from what was called ''benchmarking'' , that term disappeared from negotiations very quick after

odyssey06 wrote: »
    It's not a dangerous game at all, it is an entirely reasonable and prudent response and frankly absurd to suggest otherwise i.e. that we shouldn't be more concerned about a new virus causing such impacts than known entities for example, the cold or known flu strains.
    Yes, in assessing whether covid turns out to be more severe, we can use them as benchmarks. But to simply presume, oh it'll fall the same pattern as cold or flu is a dangerous game imo.

What does the long economic impacts have to do with whether people are experiencing long term symptoms or not???
    Why are you deliberately muddying the waters by linking them somehow?
    You are attempting to tie the two together in such a way as implying we should ignore or downplay such long term health repercussions for economic reasons. If that is your position I utterly reject it as dishonest.
    If it's not your position, stop muddying the waters in such a way.

Social distancing, reducing contacts, being cut off from hobbies etc etc all have negative health effects and a depressed economy also has negative health effects. Those are facts.
    What seems to be the accepted strategy is ASSUME covid has worse effects despite no solid data to back that up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Just sit back and watch the maddening crowd.

Better still if you've a literary mind.
    Write a book or diary on it.

House parties in the spring were not that common, there were only a few blm protests in Ireland and while there wasn't 100% mask wearing there was a lot. What you didn't mention was that at the time of those protests cases were quite low anyway, due to the restrictions before that.

Are you trying to say that restrictions don't make a difference to cases rising or falling at all?
    There was so many posts about house parties in the spring and nphet mentioned it numerous times as a major problem.
    The effect of restrictions is overblown. We never had 100% compliance and numbers reduced, but yet there seems to be the belief now that a minority of people infringing on restrictions is the sole reason for the numbers increasing and if we do hit 100% compliance that all of a sudden we can eliminate covid.
    Winter, workplaces, schools and other essential services will keep the virus present in our population even with all of the regulations followed to the letter.

There was so many posts about house parties in the spring and nphet mentioned it numerous times as a major problem.
    The effect of restrictions is overblown. We never had 100% compliance and numbers reduced, but yet there seems to be the belief now that a minority of people infringing on restrictions is the sole reason for the numbers increasing and if we do hit 100% compliance that all of a sudden we can eliminate covid.
    Winter, workplaces, schools and other essential services will keep the virus present in our population even with all of the regulations followed to the letter.

Parties in spring and parties in winter with schools open are a totally different set of risks.
    I don't see how you can say "the effect of restrictions is overblown".

It's not the sole reason, but indoor parties (likely to be indoor as we head into winter) have potential to be large scale super-spreader events. More so than workplaces or other essential services.
    If you have super-spreader events and schools open, that is going to make it very hard to contain clusters & keep it out of households even those following the restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

It's simple enough really, everyone back to work, sport and school back happening so there was more interactions therefore cases go up. No one area to blame imo. The problem will be the same one every winter, health service is badly managed. Whether or not covid makes it worse will remain to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,355 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

10%increase in covid related hospital admissions in 12 hours. Nursing home situation getting worrying again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

Had they come up with a really good specific plan for the vulnerable, or nursing homes, over 70,s, obese ect and leave things as they are there might be some logic. For example a small compliant local business a rural tea coffee shop closed on Monday and letting the meat processors carry on despite their belligerent indifference to their workforce is ridiculous.

whelan2 wrote: »
    10%increase in covid related hospital admissions in 12 hours. Nursing home situation getting worrying again

And this is entirely the point of why higher restrictions should be in already. How will the hospital admissions look like this time next week?

We got cases down to single figures in the summer, hard to imagine that now. This isnt some faux outrage either, the knock of effect from a prolonged lockdown could be devastating. Not just for businesses, but for other medical issues, cancer screenings, elective procedures, all getting pushed to the side. If it had been level 5, strictly obeyed for four weeks, I'd even give the guards extra and then open again I'd be ok with it. East German/Soviet Russia/China for four weeks? If it ment a shorter lockdown overall, I'd take it.

There is no good solution, but I'd be one for taking the short term hit now rather than when it's too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

And this is entirely the point of why higher restrictions should be in already. How will the hospital admissions look like this time next week?

We got cases down to single figures in the summer, hard to imagine that now. This isnt some faux outrage either, the knock of effect from a prolonged lockdown could be devastating. Not just for businesses, but for other medical issues, cancer screenings, elective procedures, all getting pushed to the side. If it had been level 5, strictly obeyed for four weeks, I'd even give the guards extra and then open again I'd be ok with it. East German/Soviet Russia/China for four weeks? If it ment a shorter lockdown overall, I'd take it.

There is no good solution, but I'd be one for taking the short term hit now rather than when it's too late.
    Restrictions need to be directly targeting areas like this.
    Schools are staying open because children are now recognised as not being the enormous vectors of transmission they were thought to be in the beginning. Strong healthy young people are going to have to be let carry on living in tandem with protecting the vulnerable. Lock downs will not create any immunity in the populace that will bring the circuit breaks needed in the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,261 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The decision has as much to do with prioritising essential service. Schools have a knock on for parents who work in the economy also. It is a matter of trade offs. Other areas are restricted in order to let schools continue.

• Advertisement

Water John wrote: »
    The decision has as much to do with prioritising essential service. Schools have a knock on for parents who work in the economy also. It is a matter of trade offs. Other areas are restricted in order to let schools continue.

Passed a national school yesterday at pick up time, fair sized groups of parents waiting outside chatting. Not one mask to be seen.

Advertisement