Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXIV-37,063 ROI (1,801 deaths) 12,886 NI (582 deaths) (02/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

GooglePlus wrote: »
    1 in 10 infected globally would mean a prevalence around 20 times higher than global testing shows. I'd well believe it's high but with that in mind, we would have had 760,000 infected in Ireland as opposed to 38,000.

The roughly 1 in 19 infected being missed applies much more to developing countries like India rather than Ireland. Certainly in Ireland 19/20 infections were not going unreported

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

If you currently believe a vaccine may never exist you need to read more

Yes, I'll read more about their efforts to find a cure to a disease and that will make it 100% a fact.

Sure why not throw in a cure for cancer too?

Just because you really want something doesn't make it an inevitability. Planning your life on something that may or may not happen is insanity.

Yes, hope for the thing to materialise, but don't plan on it.

What if it's 2022 by the time something is created? Happy to live in this joke until then?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Sources indicate he has MM cowering behind the chair and still hasn't discovered Leo hiding behind the curtain yet. Éamon Ryan is off having a lunchtime siesta in the Dáil chamber.

"What the **** happened. I left you alone for five minutes you bumbling fool"

i can actually picture him taking off his belt and whipping them in a corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭robfowler78

Hooked wrote: »
    Are we talking about the 'Rona or the Cervical Check Scandal...?

Tony can pîss off...

At least with Tony back there is a good job he will feck this up so much and try to cover his ass that people will finally wake up. To quote Monty pyton "he's not the messiah he's a very naughty boy"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭Hooked

Gradius wrote: »
    Yes, I'll read more about their efforts to find a cure to a disease and that will make it 100% a fact.

Just because you really want something doesn't make it an inevitability. Planning your life on something that may or may not happen is insanity.

What if it's 2022 by the time something is created? Happy to live in this joke until then?

Just to add... this is NOT living...

Hook the virus to my veins now so I can take my chances with it.
    Because the current 'cure' is FAR worse than the damn thing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

titan18 wrote: »
    When should we know the positive swabs. Can at least see from that is it looking bad, as they had rose on Saturday.

Usually between 3:30 - 4:30

• Registered Users Posts: 12,487 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

The fawning over Tony Holohan is more than a little weird.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 285 ✭✭TexasTornado

Unfortunately people can not be trusted. You only have to look at the disgraceful scenes yesterday at the Cork GAA match to see that. These people screw us all and put us back into these lockdowns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

AdamD wrote: »

Seems amnesia is very prevalent amongst a certain cohort.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,487 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Unfortunately people can not be trusted. You only have to look at the disgraceful scenes yesterday at the Cork GAA match to see that. These people screw us all and put us back into these lockdowns.

This is such a red herring. Numbers go up when we open up the country. Swear some people just love trying to assign blame. Numbers are up in every bloody country in Europe, we are not unique, there is no need for blame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,944 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Wolf359f wrote: »
    Usually between 3:30 - 4:30

Eurghh, ages away

• Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Gradius wrote: »

100s of vaccines have been created and some are in widespread use. We’re realistically going to have some sort of distribution happening by the end of the year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 141 ✭✭Thomas..

Having MM at the helm doesn't inspire much confidence

There'll be some sort of a fudge come out today , that's all he's good for

• Registered Users Posts: 15,209 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

If you currently believe a vaccine may never exist you need to read more

I wouldn't bother. Same poster referred to the GFA as a little bit of political paper and wanted the gov to break international law last night.

Better off banging your head against a wall

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

queues outside toy shops being reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,209 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Ministers and senior officials believe it is unlikely that a decision to immediately begin a new lockdown will be taken on Monday. Some sources said that they expected the level of restrictions to be increased - possibly to Level 4 in Dublin and Level 3 three around the country - but that a move to Level 5 was unlikely.
    https://twitter.com/PatLeahyIT/status/1313075806671953921?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

froog wrote: »
    everywhere green until we get a vaccine. amber if cases are rising for a period of 3-5 consecutive days. RED if cases still rising two weeks after going AMBER.

no debating, no sub committees. the levels enforced immediately. everyone knows the criteria.
    Sounds good.

I think the problem currently is that this lockdown seems to have come out of the blue. I know NPHET have a difficult job monitoring data and trying to make decisions, but we need to know why there was no need for Level 3 a few days ago, and now we've jumped to Level 5.

Businesses in particular need to be able to plan. They can't cope with 24 hours notice (or less) of everything being shut down. They can cope a bit if they get a week, or longer, notice.

It's one of the reasons I like the "circuit breaker" ideas. Flag a period in advance where you inform the country that everything is going to be shut down for 2 or 4 weeks. If we have to do 2 months open 1 month closed for the next 12 months let's do that to get us to vaccines and rapid testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Ministers and senior officials believe it is unlikely that a decision to immediately begin a new lockdown will be taken on Monday. Some sources said that they expected the level of restrictions to be increased - possibly to Level 4 in Dublin and Level 3 three around the country - but that a move to Level 5 was unlikely.

Level 4 in Dublin and level 3 nationwide is waaaay more realistic

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭batman75

I’m expecting a lockdown to be announced today. I would rather not be in lockdown but ultimately people’s health has to take centre stage above all else.
    Going forward there needs to be consistency from the Govt on what gets shuts down.
    Pubs being opened is a no no as far as I’m concerned until a proven vaccine is found. This buy food is a load of crap. Once alcohol is consumed people can drop their guard. Also most Irish pubs are small so socially distancing is not possible.
    Pleased to see Dr Holohan back. He did a sterling job until tragic personal circumstances took him understandably out of circulation. Keep safe everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Kicking the can down the road, IMO

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

100s of vaccines have been created and some are in widespread use. We’re realistically going to have some sort of distribution happening by the end of the year.

And what about the anti vaxxer nutjobs that will refuse to take a vaccine should one be developed? What then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

I wouldn't bother. Same poster referred to the GFA as a little bit of political paper and wanted the gov to break international law last night.

Better off banging your head against a wall
    It really was insane stuff. We just shut down the entire country and wall off the border with soldiers. No rational whatsoever. Madman stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Level 4 in Dublin and level 3 nationwide is waaaay more realistic

Level 4 in Donegal surely? Dublin numbers are growing at a slower rate than rest of country.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,855 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Dr Mary Favier, a former Irish College of General Practitioners president who sits on NPHET, said the “inevitable truth” was a lockdown was needed to protect the country’s vulnerable healthcare system.

The reality is that if we keep going the way we are, if you or I had a bad road traffic accident in November, or needed emergency cardiac surgery, there might not be an intensive care bed for you or I,” she told RTÉ Morning Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

And what about the anti vaxxer nutjobs that will refuse to take a vaccine should one be developed? What then?
    That will be their problem

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

Can't wrap my head around the sudden desire for them to move to level 5. How can they last week justify all bar two counties remaining at level 2 but then a week later realise they made a mistake and they all need to go to level 5 pronto?

I just don't get how they can justify this change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

Holy Moses.

Sure if that's easy why haven't we bothered with all diseases then?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 141 ✭✭Thomas..

AdamD wrote: »

You cannot have a situation where 1 man is calling the shots like this if this is indeed what happened yesterday

It's akin to a dictatorship and the government needs to find it's voice today

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

Thomas.. wrote: »
    Having MM at the helm doesn't inspire much confidence

There'll be some sort of a fudge come out today , that's all he's good for

No way he’ll stand up to Nphet and their crazed obsession with already failed lockdowns. This is easily the most serious crisis I’ve experienced in this country and I’ve lived through a few recessions. We could actually work our way out of those, this is an altogether different circumstances.
    There is absolutely no way a respiratory virus can be controlled in this way as we’ve already demonstrated several times over

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/tv-radio-web/and-that-s-irish-people-expert-surprised-one-third-would-not-take-covid-vaccine-1.4370278

Lot of nutjobs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement