Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

San Francisco 49ers Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

That was bad, there's no sugar coating it.

Jimmy was awful, some of his throws were just a case of lobbing it up there and hoping for the best, he missed open receivers and was indecisive a lot of the time.

Injuries to Kittle and no WR mitigate this somewhat but I'm not seeing any improvement from last year.

Defensively we were owned by Murray and Co, couldn't get off the field, and gave up way too many silly penalties. Doesn't bode well for this season though you'd expect them to improve. They really need some receiver help.

Taylor and Pettis contributed nothing, bourne was ok but he should be a WR3 at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,048 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

adrian522 wrote: »
    That was bad, there's no sugar coating it.

Jimmy was awful, some of his throws were just a case of lobbing it up there and hoping for the best, he missed open receivers and was indecisive a lot of the time.

Injuries to Kittle and no WR mitigate this somewhat but I'm not seeing any improvement from last year.

Defensively we were owned by Murray and Co, couldn't get off the field, and gave up way too many silly penalties. Doesn't bode well for this season though you'd expect them to improve. They really need some receiver help.

Taylor and Pettis contributed nothing, bourne was ok but he should be a WR3 at best.

Jimmy was dire. They seemed shell shocked from the punt block until the 4th quarter. Even just in the last drive, that was an easy TD for Bourne with a better throw (though Bourne should have still done better with it) and the last throw to Taylor was late.

For all the blame on Jimmy, it didn't seem like Kyle was even calling plays to the WRs. We've seen similar from him in previous years. Whether it is not trusting Jimmy or the WRs, either way they need to get rid of whoever they don't trust.

As I mentioned in the main thread, this isn't a huge surprise given the injuries and how they've struggled with the Cards and mobile QBs in general. Hopefully not jinxing things too much but the next 2 weeks should give them a chance to play themselves into some form.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭myate

It's the first game of the season...in general it's always a game of getting the rust off, especially with no preseason. Last years first game against the Bucs was pretty bad but the D showed how good it could be & the team got the win. Yesterday was awful. Very few positives. But nobody said it would be a perfect season! The team could barely contain mobile QBs last year, and nothing looks to have changed. This loss will wake them all up.

myate wrote: »
    It's the first game of the season...in general it's always a game of getting the rust off, especially with no preseason. Last years first game against the Bucs was pretty bad but the D showed how good it could be & the team got the win. Yesterday was awful. Very few positives. But nobody said it would be a perfect season! The team could barely contain mobile QBs last year, and nothing looks to have changed. This loss will wake them all up.

After sleeping on it, despite all the injuries and everything going terribly they should have still won the game with a TD at the end, if they had slightly better play by either the QB or WR.

First time live tackling in 7 months being against such a mobile QB was not a good situation to be in.

The margins are just so tight in the NFL and the majority of those games went for the 49ers last year.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I was really expecting JG to improve this year but there was little enough evidence of that. I'm still hopeful but the early signs are not encouraging. The lack of receivers is not helping but his accuracy and decision making don't seem to have improved. He also had a couple of throws that should never have been made and was lucky to avoid turnovers.

On a positive note he didn't throw any passes directly to opposition defenders.

• Advertisement

I was really expecting JG to improve this year but there was little enough evidence of that. I'm still hopeful but the early signs are not encouraging. The lack of receivers is not helping but his accuracy and decision making don't seem to have improved. He also had a couple of throws that should never have been made and was lucky to avoid turnovers.

On a positive note he didn't throw any passes directly to opposition defenders.

I've been very much a JG defender but he was very poor. Saw an interesting stat that each season he had poor performances regarding accuracy so there is potential that he should improve (he went to average or above average by week 2 or 3 each season).

Yeah, we'll see. I'm not writing him off based on one game without WR1, WR2 and TE1 out there as a decoy. But all the issues we've seen in the past were still there.

Hopefully we see these issues getting ironed out over the next few weeks.

Yeah, we'll see. I'm not writing him off based on one game without WR1, WR2 and TE1 out there as a decoy. But all the issues we've seen in the past were still there.

Hopefully we see these issues getting ironed out over the next few weeks.

I remember posting here with happiness over Chip's first win and we saw where that went.

Game 1 does not make or break a season :D

I'm all in on no.10 too and yes, 2018, 2019 opening games have been pretty poor from him also. Improvements came quick then (before the ACL in '18), so he needs a big bounce back in Metlife next two games. The team needs a WR too, and probably take someone off p-squad...and finally get rid of Pettis. It's year 3, no more 'he's got potential'. He didn't go for a big pass from Jimmy as he would have taken a big hit...a bit overthrown but didn't even make an attempt for it. And Jets run to the 1 yard line, any other receiver in the area would have blocked big time & he might have got in...Pettis gives a small shove & Jet goes down before the goal line.

The real concern with jg is he's not young anymore in nfl terms. He's 29 now and on season 6 of his career.

No excuses left, he's simple not looking like the finished article.

• Advertisement

Richard Sherman has just gone on IR...just dropped.

WTF.... Serious issues now, I think Verett is still injured so its pretty much Witherspoon and Mosely with Williams in the slot and not a whole lot behind them. Sherm will miss at least the Jets, Giants and Eagles games.

WTF.... Serious issues now, I think Verett is still injured so its pretty much Witherspoon and Mosely with Williams in the slot and not a whole lot behind them. Sherm will miss at least the Jets, Giants and Eagles games.

At least it is that run rather than a tougher part of the schedule. After Eagles it is the Dolphins but then the hardest stretch of the season kicks in

Foxtrol wrote: »
    At least it is that run rather than a tougher part of the schedule. After Eagles it is the Dolphins but then the hardest stretch of the season kicks in

Calf strain apparently. But yeah, thankfully next 3 games aren't too bad...or shouldn't be!

You kidding me...Witherspoon is in concussion protocol from Sunday!

So we could be rolling with Johnson and Mosely at CB?

This will end well.

Then there's this:

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1306320518749003777

Ward or Moore could be pushed out also.

We'd be murdered with a QB that can make themselves time but for the next 4 weeks I think our DL should be able to put enough pressure to make them get the ball out quickly or be sacked. They got 15 pressures on Murray before tiring late.

Kittle out now as well. Garland and Aiyuk should play, Spoon still in concussion protocol but has a chance to play.

Kittle out now as well. Garland and Aiyuk should play, Spoon still in concussion protocol but has a chance to play.

Dee Ford also out.

Bosa and Thomas both look to have picked up serious injuries. Not much sign of WR's so far.

• Advertisement

Disaster of a day for injuries. With Barkley out they should have enough to get by the Giants, even with Mullens.

The loss of Bosa is a season changer though. Ford (presuming he comes back) is no where near as effective when he doesn't have someone else soaking up double teams. Despite DL depth, we'll need to turn to our offense once the key guys are back.

There were a few positives from the game - Jimmy looked a hell of a lot better, Reed looked great (though I hold my breath on every hit he takes), McKinnon is playing well, and some defensive depth showed up. Hard to tell how many of those were the weakness of the competition though.

Gloria from White Men Can't Jump said it best - Sometimes when you win you really loose...that's how that win yesterday felt. Bosa & Thomas within 2 plays of each other going out with probable season ending ACL's. Jimmy getting banged up but his 1st half play was good, very good. Mostert...who knows whats up with him...will find out later. D stepped up nicely in 2nd half, but lets be honest, it was the Jets!
    I like Nick Mullens & he can fill in nicely for a few games, especially easier games.
    They couldn't agree terms with Ziggy Ansah last week...I think that might change today! Tough season...a lot of players etc said it would be an injury plagued season (for all teams)...they're not wrong so far.

Listening to Kyle's press conference.

Ansah confirmed pending COVID.

Jimmy potentially not as bad as feared. I'd be surprised if he is risked if not 100% healthy.

Coleman also injured and Ford's injury has gone from neck spasms to back issues

I'd be surprised/amazed if Kittle or Garoppolo played on Sunday even if they are healthy they will be held back.

Very little depth along the defensive line now. Mostert and Coleman also out for a few games.

Hopefully they can get over the Giants, then get Jimmy, Kittle, Deebo back for the Eagles and Dolphins. Both of those games are winnable.

Just needs the offense to step up now as the defense won't have the same sort of pass rush as before. On the plus side Jimmy was probably having his best game as a 49er statistically agianst the Jets. Just need to see that more consistently.

McKinnon had a game but a round of applause for the backups who came in and did very well

Great performance from the back ups and they even got to rest some guys towards the end. Thankfully, it sounds like the injuries weren't close to as bad as last week. Aiyuk's performance giving a lot of hope he'll break out earlier this season than Deebo did last year. Having both of them, Kittle, and Reed on the field with whichever RB should cause opposing Ds nightmares

Rams and Cardinals losing adds to the successful week (pity the Seahawks squeaked put another one score game).

Sunday Night Football next week with a demoralised Eagles side coming off a battle with Bengals, going the full way through OT and picking up some more injuries. Hopefully we can get a few of our guys back and build off the performances from today.

SNF next week....I bet the NFL wished they could flex that game out with the Eagles!!
    Solid performance for Mullens...he balled in 2018 & lost a few close ones...not afraid to let the ball rip & spread it around. Even that endzone throw to Reed was perfect & should have been caught.
    Aiyuk is solid with great hands....get Deebo back & there's 3 solid receivers there with Sanu too. The potential is there for the offence to turn it on. Receivers are good, TEs are excellent, RB are solid (all of them!). Last year the D was leading the team for the most part, this year it has to be the offence helping the D.

Anyone care to explain what Johnson was doing on that play and just how he's still seeing the field?

Anyone care to explain what Johnson was doing on that play and just how he's still seeing the field?

Everyone else is injured. He had to start tonight because Sherman, Mosley, Witherspoon were out. Verett and Williams spent time out tonight too.

• Advertisement

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Everyone else is injured. He had to start tonight because Sherman, Mosley, Witherspoon were out. Verett and Williams spent time out tonight too.

He's a liability. I cannot fathom why we keep bringing him back

Advertisement