Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

San Francisco 49ers Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,010 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

That was way more stress than I needed yesterday. Team was extremely flat coming out, which is understandable given what they went through physically and emotionally on a short week.

Jimmy continues his trend of throwing head scratching interceptions but aside from that looked great, especially given the injuries to his best receivers. Cardinals appeared to follow the Seahawks plan, and theirs two weeks ago to be fair, of selling out to stop the run and pressure the QB and then seeing if Jimmy could beat them. It ended with Jimmy having very similar drives as he did on Monday, that would have won that game also, but this time they caught the ball more often than not. He'll unlikely get the credit he deserves from the wider media or fans but the win is all that matters.

Already can't wait for next week. Hopefully Kittle and Sanders will be able to play. Having played 3 weeks in a row against extremely mobile QBs the defence might be even looking forward to Rogers being slightly easier to target (which says more about their recent opposition than Rogers). Given how the team fared last year in Lambeau, while being a shell of what they currently are, I'm more excited than worried.

Lastly on the Cardinals, it looks like my fears at draft time are coming to pass. Even with a poor team Murray looks great and just as we're entering Wilson beginning to slow down it seems we'll be facing another houdini for the next decade. Kingsbury also appears to be learning as the year goes on. They've still to play the Rams twice and the Seahawks once and I feel they'll win at least one of those games.

When you add this to the guys on IR, this list of injuries is a disaster and destroys most of our depth. At least this season our mass injury curse waited until nearly the playoffs before fully kicking in.

With the win last week and the loss by the Seahawks, we're in the position where it isn't the end of the world if we lose either of the Falcons or Rams games. Barring another Seadhawks loss it will all come down to the last game of the season for the bye.

The offense has really gotten going so hopefully will make up for the defensive losses.

https://twitter.com/49ersSportsTalk/status/1204878990143569920

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Dymo

49ers Clinch The Playoffs For The 1st Time Since 2013

Sherman was badly missed last night, he would of held Jones.

Overall they're still in a good position, but last night I just felt they were flat from the beginning the fire wasn't there as much, this might be the best thing for them so they don't get too sure of themselves. I still think they have the potential to get to the Superbowl but some defence calls were questionable last night, How the feck did we not put coverage on Jones when he was in the slot. I'm an idiot on the couch and I saw that coming.

Dymo wrote: »
    49ers Clinch The Playoffs For The 1st Time Since 2013

Sherman was badly missed last night, he would of held Jones.

Overall they're still in a good position, but last night I just felt they were flat from the beginning the fire wasn't there as much, this might be the best thing for them so they don't get too sure of themselves. I still think they have the potential to get to the Superbowl but some defence calls were questionable last night, How the feck did we not put coverage on Jones when he was in the slot. I'm an idiot on the couch and I saw that coming.

Out of the remaining games it was the one that we could afford to lose and still keep getting #1 seed in our own hands.

Still an obvious trap game and even though it was highlighted by the coaches as being so in advance it is hard to get yourself up for it, especially with all the guys missing. The players rightfully sounded very annoyed with their performance after the game so hopefully they'll be in a good mindset for the Rams coming in on Saturday.

Best thing of all is that it sounded like no new injuries so hopefully we can start getting some of the guys that were out back.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I was trying to hold back my optimism at the start of the season, given the several seasons of pain we've gone through, and can't believe we've won the West and are NFC #1 seeds.

No matter what happens, what an incredible job Lynch and Shanahan have done to rebuild that team in such a short time. Despite my feelings, I love the mindset of the team that 'the west is not enough'. The roster hasn't had a bye week since Week 4 so the rest should do them wonders and hopefully get the likes of Ford and Tarrt back.

Witherspoon gave up 6 catches on 8 targets for 71 yards, 141.1 passer rating given up. YIKES.

He's had two bad games in a row now and was benched for the critical last drive last night. Do you think they start with Mosely in 2 weeks time?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,441 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Well from a post here where I said I had a good feeling about the niners which was rightly meet with a healthy dose of "hang on a second chief" given what had happened the previous seasons I was a leap of faith to see them doing what tey did. And outside of the eagles making the playoffs the next best thing is I'm happy the 49ers are back as the no1 seed in the NFC. The NFL needs the niners to be good imo.

Now if by some magic the eagles end up playing the niners in the NFC playoffs then this good will will stop for a bit but until then we'll done on the niners being back at the top table.

• Advertisement

So it is Vikings next week. Hadn't really considered them as a potential opponent.

They seem to be an up and down team. A lot of travel for them and a short week too.

Hopefully Kyle has been doing his homework this week, he should already know how to stress out Kirk.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭myate

No playoff game is easy. But definitely there are teams you'd prefer to see. Vikings are one of them. As you say, up & down but solid. They're also a dome team and it looks like next Saturday could be a bit wet in Levis...I'm heading over for the game & watching the weather! The niners have played lights out all year, they just need to continue that, get a few players back & get that D rolling again. Kwon is mentioned again as being game time decision for the divisional! Dee Ford looks good to go.

myate wrote: »
    No playoff game is easy. But definitely there are teams you'd prefer to see. Vikings are one of them. As you say, up & down but solid. They're also a dome team and it looks like next Saturday could be a bit wet in Levis...I'm heading over for the game & watching the weather! The niners have played lights out all year, they just need to continue that, get a few players back & get that D rolling again. Kwon is mentioned again as being game time decision for the divisional! Dee Ford looks good to go.

That will be some event. I made it to a play-off game in Candlestick during the Baltimore Super Bowl season and the atmosphere was intense. My two trips to Levis so far were pretty disappointing but this year it finally seems to have gotten noisy.

I may live to regret it but with how the other game went I'd rather the Vikings over another game against the Toots. Prefer for our pass rush to have a more stationary target than dealing with Wilson and his magic.

Given that JJ survived his comeback game I'm a bit more optimistic about Kwon. Presume if he plays this week they'll aim to have him on the field for obvious passing downs, as I wouldn't want him in trying to stop a full speed Cook, when he isn't the best tackler when he isnt carrying an injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

I live around the corner from Levi's stadium and get to a few matches every season at least. Less so in the past couple of years with kids coming along :)

Looks like rain alright, but seems to be light showers in the morning and a few in the afternoon. Mightn't be too bad - around 13 Celsius it seems.

If you need any local tips let me know!

Foxtrol wrote: »
    My two trips to Levis so far were pretty disappointing but this year it finally seems to have gotten noisy.

Yeah, there were games in the past 3 or 4 years where it was dead. You could get tickets for $20, even in the days coming up to the game. I was chatting to a guy sitting next to me and he was a die hard fan... season ticket holder from the candlestick days with his dad, brothers, cousins. 7 or 8 of them all sitting in a row and all season ticket holders. They paid big money to move their tickets to Levi's (think it was something stupid like 10 grand - then you have to pay your season ticket on top of that every year). Those guys were really annoyed with the team at the time. The fella I was chatting to was seriously considering selling his ticket and trying to get back whatever money he had invested in it. He was hurting badly :)

It was a bad loss that day from what I can remember, but coming from those days not so long ago to this season is such a transformation. Not a sniff of a ticket these days on resell sites at the 'old' prices. Luckily I can get the odd ticket here and there through my work (they sponsor the 49ers). If it wasn't for that it would be very hard to get a ticket without paying big money.

I live around the corner from Levi's stadium and get to a few matches every season at least. Less so in the past couple of years with kids coming along :)

Looks like rain alright, but seems to be light showers in the morning and a few in the afternoon. Mightn't be too bad - around 13 Celsius it seems.

If you need any local tips let me know!

Thanks mate! Lucky to have been there twice already! Against a Falcons team with the great Blaine Gabbert making his first start for us in 2015 (and actually Kaps last snaps ever!). And last year for MNF against the Giants. I've been to Giants Stadium aswell to see Niners & Levis for sure is a different atmosphere! The MNF game was good, even with Nick Mullens playing! But yeah, looking forward to seeing the stadium get proper loud!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Thanks mate! Lucky to have been there twice already! Against a Falcons team with the great Blaine Gabbert making his first start for us in 2015 (and actually Kaps last snaps ever!). And last year for MNF against the Giants. I've been to Giants Stadium aswell to see Niners & Levis for sure is a different atmosphere! The MNF game was good, even with Nick Mullens playing! But yeah, looking forward to seeing the stadium get proper loud!!

Oh cool! yeah love Giants Stadium as well. I lived in NY for a while and Giants are my East Coast team :) Loved the old Giants Stadium. Haven't been in the new Met Life yet, but looks class!

https://www.theringer.com/2020/1/8/21055879/san-francisco-49ers-versatility-kyle-shanahan-george-kittle

Good piece here on the 49ers offensive scheme, particularly the use of Kittle, Deebo and Juszczyk

Well the atmosphere at Levis was unreal! Probably not the best game for the neutral but if you were at the stadium wearing red, it was all good and then some!
    https://imgur.com/a/Ul7GWVf

Well the atmosphere at Levis was unreal! Probably not the best game for the neutral but if you were at the stadium wearing red, it was all good and then some!
    https://imgur.com/a/Ul7GWVf

That looks fantastic. As a home fan I can imagine the game flow was great, initial tense back and forward and then domination and celebration towards the end of the game.

How was the Bosa resurrection moment in person?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

The 49ers are going to win the SB this year - and I am p*ssed - Kyle Shanahan should be the HC of the Denver Broncos - f*ck you Joe Ellis for being such a dick.

• Advertisement

The 49ers are going to win the SB this year - and I am p*ssed - Kyle Shanahan should be the HC of the Denver Broncos - f*ck you Joe Ellis for being such a dick.

I don't believe Kyle going to the Broncos was happening once the 49ers offer was on the table. It sounds like a rumour to feed into the completely understandable dislike Broncos fans have for Ellis.

Aside from the 6 year deal, Kyle got to hand pick his GM and the power to basically make all personnel decisions. Elway was never going to hand over that power and the Broncos were never getting rid of Elway.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    That looks fantastic. As a home fan I can imagine the game flow was great, initial tense back and forward and then domination and celebration towards the end of the game.

How was the Bosa resurrection moment in person?

Absolutely...first half was a bit tense, 2nd half we just dominated...never looked in doubt.

Bosa was a beast all game...that moment was unreal...hard to get a whole stadium shout a players name! He's a player that had social media/injury issues before the draft...he'd definitely a fan favourite there now....every other jersey is a 97! Watching him warm-up was something else...his legs are like tree trunks, but he moves so quickly.
    From my seat I had a great views of the Sherman Int, muffed punt & a couple of TD's. Definitely worth the long (short) trip! Jerry Rice was right in front for the whole game too...he had the whole section shouting JERRY for about half the game!! You know he'd love to play too...that was my third game, and third time to see Jerry there & each time, he goes out for 2/3 catches in warm-up!!

The last decade felt like an emotional roller-coaster and it turns out the facts back it up. Not sure any other team has had such a wild journey.

https://twitter.com/AlSacco49/status/1216744804052238336

“People who know me well will tell you that I’m not into a whole lot of promises, but I will make a few. I’ve been pretty clear in saying that this week, [head coach] Kyle [Shanahan] and I are on the same page that we’re going to put together and assemble a team and how long that takes we don’t know, but we’re going to assemble a team that will make you proud. I can promise you this; we’re going to have players that will compete, that will compete every day, that will compete to be the best that they can be. They’re going to be great teammates. We’re going to have a team that plays fast. We’re going to have a team that plays physical. We believe in those things. We’re going to have guys with great character, football character and we’re going to have guys that are interested in making their community a better place.”
    --John Lynch, February 2017.

https://www.ninersnation.com/2020/1/17/21069347/nfc-championship-preview-john-lynch-press-hiring-press-conference-promises-kyle-shanahan

I gave Jed York a lot of abuse over the years but the guy has grown into a great owner and shown what a decent person he is.

Took him a while to get his feet but from the getting rid of the coaching/front office dead wood, to putting himself out there with long contracts for the current hires, to his position with the police brutality protest, and for him today pass off the trophy to let Mike give it to Kyle rather than take the glory post the abuse he took. Whatever happens in 2 weeks I'm proud of my team form top to bottom.

Been waiting a long time for this! Anyone remember the 2016 season under Chip...2-14. Can't help but think the team needed the Tomsula/Kelly years to get Jed York to realise he needed to do something. ps: Mostert joined the team under Kelly!!
    It's rare to see a team get to the Superbowl because of the team as a whole. Not one bad person on this team with issues...no individuals wanting glory. It's all about the common good.
    Have to say it would be great to see Jimmy put up some numbers in Miami...seeing as it was against the Chiefs where he tore the ACL!

Super Bowl week... Feels great, baby!

https://twitter.com/49ers/status/1221840289683464193?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 19,579 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Soooo...are we confident?

Ol' Donie wrote: »

Not particularly, I think the 49ers should be the favourites but only very slightly.

Big problem is that no matter what the score there won't be a moment of relaxation, given the power of the two offenses. It will be a long, long evening but it is much better than discussing who we'll pick at number 2 :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Ol' Donie wrote: »

Annoyingly so. I just can't shake the feeling that 9ers are better on both lines and that is where the game is normally won...

Advertisement