Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

San Francisco 49ers Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,010 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

He's a liability. I cannot fathom why we keep bringing him back

They cut him and had him on their practice squad. There aren't too many guys you can pick up off the street that would be better, especially that know the scheme.

Agree that he is very poor but when you get that many injuries there many/any decent replacements.

CJ could have walked in the 2 pointer. Not that it'll make too much difference

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

That was bad. Injuries not withstanding, the performance was sub par. The offensive line is a problem. They giving up too much pressure on the QB, and not opening holes in the running game. Trent Williams was beaten a few times just from watching thegame live, be interesting to see the PFF grades this week.

Mullens was poor right from the miss to Jzuchek at the start he made some awful throws. I'm nt sure benching him was the right call though.

CJ could have walked in the end zone for the two point play and they could have kicked it deep on the kickoff and had a decent shot at a FG at the end.

On the defensive side I'd give a little more leeway due to the injuries but can Saleh put a good defense on the field if he doesn't have the blue chip elite talent? Maybe but I don't think he is as good as a DC as he is made out to be.

Need Jimmy back next week as Miami is must win because after that you get:

Rams, Patriots, Seahawks, Packers, Saints, Rams, Bills. We'd be doing very well to get out of that with 3 wins.

If Williams and Verett are out long term we could be in trouble in the secondary, even more so than the lack of a pass rush with Ansah now also injured.

adrian522 wrote: »
    That was bad. Injuries not withstanding, the performance was sub par. The offensive line is a problem. They giving up too much pressure on the QB, and not opening holes in the running game. Trent Williams was beaten a few times just from watching thegame live, be interesting to see the PFF grades this week.

Mullens was poor right from the miss to Jzuchek at the start he made some awful throws. I'm nt sure benching him was the right call though.

CJ could have walked in the end zone for the two point play and they could have kicked it deep on the kickoff and had a decent shot at a FG at the end.

On the defensive side I'd give a little more leeway due to the injuries but can Saleh put a good defense on the field if he doesn't have the blue chip elite talent? Maybe but I don't think he is as good as a DC as he is made out to be.

Need Jimmy back next week as Miami is must win because after that you get:

Rams, Patriots, Seahawks, Packers, Saints, Rams, Bills. We'd be doing very well to get out of that with 3 wins.

If Williams and Verett are out long term we could be in trouble in the secondary, even more so than the lack of a pass rush with Ansah now also injured.

Agree with most of this.

The OL isn't great and I feel Jimmy has been covering up their issues. A big thing in that game was the fact that the Eagles DL is very good and has a lot of depth. I'd have argued that they should have tried to play more of the game up tempo, like we did towards the end, but our lack of depth of defense meant we couldn't risk quick 3 and outs.

I feel benching Mullens was the right thing. In hindsight, I think we would have won the game if they'd done it before the pick 6. Mullens was chiefly at fault for at least 17 points. The reason why I say hindsight is how little trust I have in CJ, but he played well.

On the defense, I dont think Salah can make a sub par quality players super stars but I don't think anyone can with that Seattle scheme. You need the quality players or it falls apart. For the most part the defense actually played ok but that was against patch work OL and WRs and a QB with confidence issues. I fear for them in that run of games. I think playoffs are still doable but thanks to injuries we'll be battling to make it in instead of battling for #1 seed.

Im ok with the line. Considering the youth thats in it and we are talking depth pieces I think they are doing well. Mullins just needed to release the ball faster. The commentators said it, under 2.5 and hes got a rating of 140. Over 2.5 and it takes a nose dive.

Were banged up, hopefully that eases up and we get some more options other the kittle for the QB which should be Jimmy anyway

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Very good news. Obviously Mostert and Jimmy but for me, Ankhelo while he regressed, is still a far better option in CB

That, was painful. We are suffering a sb hangover I'm afraid with a number of players not stepping up

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭myate

Anyone else feel like they should have seen Jimmy Tomsula or Chip Kelly on the sidelines! That was awful...and it starts on the coaches room. What was Jimmy doing on the field if he wasn't fully healthy, or healthy enough to lean on that ankle & throw the ball properly. And why was Whitherspoon on the sidelines seemingly unable to play, but then suddenly able to play when it was a little late. Players shouldn't be on the sidelines ready to come on unless they're fully healthy able to take hits, run full on with a WR...getting injured in a game & playing on a bit (ala Aaron Rodgers) is different. We're back to 2018 Robert Salah aswell...most people were questioning him that year...then suddenly he gets some mega players & the best/2nd best D in the game for 2019 and he's suddenly great. That D right now is a mess, injuries or not.
    Donald & the Rams are going to have a field day next week. Seahawks isn't going to be nice either. Right now I can see the Packers wanting revenge for that NFC game last year...and they're playing well enough to do it.

That was dire. I think at least in part went to underestimating the Dolphins, thinking we could ease back in several players and still win.

I get a lot of the decisions that were made yesterday:

- Starting a far from 100% Jimmy - needed to give him some time to knock off rust in advance of facing Donald. I presume the plan was for him to game manage.

- Witherspoon on the bench - Seems like he was set to play but then started feeling tightness towards the end of the week, Allen only had 1 practice knowing he was starting. I can see them preferring him not fully fit on the bench in case of emergencies than a 9th string CB (that is how hurt we are), likely one that has barely trained with the team.

The part I didn't get was not pulling Allen sooner when it was obvious Fitzpatrick was going to keep targeting him. Either risk Witherspoon or move over Ward or stick in Moore if necessary. I don't understand what they expected to change for Allen.

I don't judge Salah too much on the performances. As I said above, we've down to our 8th string CB and then add to that being down 5 of our top 6 edge rushers. No defensive coordinator can do anything when all his players that can get pressure and cover are out. Aside from pulling Allen sooner, I'm not sure what more could be expected.

Kyle really needs to realise that it is all on the offense and everything needs to be thrown at opposition. My fear at this point is that we'll get knocked around while hurt and then as we get healthier towards the end of the season we put on a streak that is not good enough for the play-off but still puts us outside a good draft pick. If we can get a few wins during this tough stretch I still hold out hope that the season isn't over already

• Advertisement

Having rewatched some highlights and listening to some analysis, I'm reconsidering my position on Salah for that game. The fact that he didn't switch coverage to provide additional protection to Allen was completely idiotic. I still feel there few coordinators could do much better overall with how many injuries but to fail to identify Fitzpatrick targeting Allen and continuing to leave him on an island until he was pulled is a key part to losing the game.

49ers injury table: Week 7

Name|Injury|Potential Return
    Raheem Mostert|High ankle sprain|IR, at least 3 weeks
    Ben Garland|Calf strain|IR, at least Week 12
    Jaquiski Tartt|Groin strain|TBD
    K'Waun Williams|MCL sprain|IR, Week 9
    Kwon Alexander|High ankle sprain|Weeks 8-9
    Dontae Johnson|Groin|Weeks 8-9
    Nick Bosa|Torn ACL|2021
    Richard Sherman|Calf strain|Weeks 7-8
    Dee Ford|Back/neck|TBD
    Tevin Coleman|Knee sprain|Week 8|
    Jeff Wilson|Calf|Week 7|
    Weston Richburg|Torn patellar tendon/shoulder|Week 12
    Ronald Blair|Torn ACL|Weeks 10-12
    Solomon Thomas|Torn ACL|2021 (FA)
    Julllian Taylor|Torn ACL|Weeks 10-12
    Jalen Hurd|Torn ACL|2021
    Jordan Reed|Sprained MCL|Week 11
    Mark Nzeocha|Quad strain|Week 8
    Ziggy Ansah|Torn biceps|2021 (FA)
    Tavon Austin|Knee|2021 (FA)

If we can push through the next 2 weeks we should be OK come week 9. The majority beyond that are backups anyway

If we can push through the next 2 weeks we should be OK come week 9. The majority beyond that are backups anyway

I'd disagree with that. We are on our 3rd-choice center and will be in that situation for the foreseeable future.

The offense has looked awful without Mostert to be honest. Even on Sunday night when he went out of the game the offense was very poor. 49ers had just one FG in the second half.

If Trent Williams and Tartt both miss time that would also be significant. I don't see much light at the end of the tunnel, the win against LA was good but realistically we are probably not making the playoffs so this season for me is about evaluating who needs to be kept and who we can move on from

At CB I don't think we have anyone under contract for next season for example.

I said most not all. Apart from center anyone due back will be back by week 9. Both Richburg and Garland are expected back week 12 and that just leaves 3 backups that wont see the field anyway.

Bosa and Thomas are obviously season scratches so they can come off the board anyway and not enter the equation.

Bottom line, Jimmy needs to keep his releases under 2.5 and hope we can stay healthy for a few weeks. I was surprised he kept him on the field so late last game. It was over, take him out

Blair, Richburg, Ford, Reed will all see plenty of snaps once they are back assuming they get back this year.

At what point do you think the game was over? It was a one score game right up until the end when Deebo secured the first down that meant they could take a kneel down for the last few snaps.

Absolutely, that game wasn't over until Deebo got that first down. Plus, Jimmy needs all the game reps he can get.

On a plus...the game this weekend is 8:25pm our time due to the US clocks changing! Good chance to beat the Pats...but not going to be easy with them coming off 2 loses. Niners need to do what Steve Young said, score 30+ points a game & they'll be in it.

myate wrote: »
    Absolutely, that game wasn't over until Deebo got that first down. Plus, Jimmy needs all the game reps he can get.

On a plus...the game this weekend is 8:25pm our time due to the US clocks changing! Good chance to beat the Pats...but not going to be easy with them coming off 2 loses. Niners need to do what Steve Young said, score 30+ points a game & they'll be in it.

I'm worried about the Patriots with Bill's knowledge of how to get at Jimmy and also how the entire offense struggled with the Dolphins' defense, which is built and schemed in the same mold as the Patriots. All those injuries listed earlier will hurt a lot also, the OL was just coming together and now the key cog is taken out again and the drop off from Mostert to McKinnon/Hasty is big.

Also FYI, clocks are changing in Ireland at the weekend and staying the same in the US until the following weekend. I don't want you missing out on plans.

[QUOTE=Foxtrol;115007829Also FYI, clocks are changing in Ireland at the weekend and staying the same in the US until the following weekend. I don't want you missing out on plans.[/QUOTE]

Got it wrong way!!! Either way, game is an hour earlier which is great. But yeah, unless the Niners play at their best and Cam has a crap game, gonna be very hard to win this...and it's on the east coast.

Blair, Richburg, Ford, Reed will all see plenty of snaps once they are back assuming they get back this year.

At what point do you think the game was over? It was a one score game right up until the end when Deebo secured the first down that meant they could take a kneel down for the last few snaps.

with 2 minutes to go they could have put Mullins in, its not like they are just picking anyone, he is a QB afterall.

Jimmy needs snaps, I dont disagree but hes also prone to injury. Worth the risk in a game thats almost done and dusted? Imagine he had gotten creamed and was out for the season? That would have hurt far more.

I didnt mention Ford cause he may well be gone for the season. Im only refering to those we know. Blair will get game time but hes not our starter.

• Advertisement

The game wasn't done and dusted or close to that. It was a one score game and you need to move the ball and pick up first downs so you keep your best guys in there. There should be no debate about that.

If the score was 35-3 or something similar but other than that you keep your starter in there.

Blair would be a starter right now if he was available. We don't have any effective pass rushers right now except for Armstead who is better on the inside so Blair would be an automatic starter. Who do you think would be starting ahead of him?

The game wasn't done and dusted or close to that. It was a one score game and you need to move the ball and pick up first downs so you keep your best guys in there. There should be no debate about that.

If the score was 35-3 or something similar but other than that you keep your starter in there.

Blair would be a starter right now if he was available. We don't have any effective pass rushers right now except for Armstead who is better on the inside so Blair would be an automatic starter. Who do you think would be starting ahead of him?

Oh right, so now its who would be starting now as opposed to who would be starting when we have all our players healthy? Strange way of deciding who is a starter and who is a backup.

we were 24 - 9 up with less than 5 minutes to go. they werent coming back

Yes a starter is someone who would start on the team. Not sure what's so complicated about that.

The score was 24-16 with 3:24 left. One score game. You don't put the backup in in that situation ever.

Yes a starter is someone who would start on the team. Not sure what's so complicated about that.

The score was 24-16 with 3:24 left. One score game. You don't put the backup in in that situation ever.

at 3.24, 8 point game and you have the ball. Yeah, you can

as for starters, well thats fine so. Next Sunday we will have all our starters. Great!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

at 3.24, 8 point game and you have the ball. Yeah, you can

There is not a coach in the entire history of the game who is going to pull their starting QB when only up by a score. 3.24 is more than enough time for the opposition to score twice, never mind level the game.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    There is not a coach in the entire history of the game who is going to pull their starting QB when only up by a score. 3.24 is more than enough time for the opposition to score twice, never mind level the game.

You keep saying a score, 2 pointer is far from a given. If they scored, we get the ball back and only need a FG to win. Mullins is not some randomer, he can actually play.

Plenty of players dont play every down when coming back from injury

Some good news on the injury front, Trent Williams practiced today, should be good to go for Sunday.

NAME POS DATE STATUS COMMENT
    Jimmie Ward CB Oct 23 Out Ward has been ruled out for Sunday's game at New England with a strained quadriceps, Nick Wagoner of ESPN.com reports.
    Jeff Wilson Jr. RB Oct 23 Questionable Wilson (calf) is listed as questionable for Sunday's game at New England, Nick Wagoner of ESPN.com reports.
    Kwon Alexander LB Oct 23 Out
    Jaquiski Tartt S Oct 23 Out
    Raheem Mostert RB Oct 22 Out Mostert (ankle) isn't participating in Thursday's practice, Cam Inman of The San Jose Mercury News reports.
    Trent Williams OT Oct 21 Questionable Williams didn't suffer a broken ankle, nor a high-ankle sprain during Sunday's win over the Rams, David Lombardi of The Athletic reports.

Both starting safeties will be Out, along with starting C, RB and LB, on top of all the other injuries we already knew about.

With 3rd string C and Mostert out (don't see Coleman as too much of a loss) I think we'll have struggle with running today and Bill will have plans to put Jimmy off.

Only 3 starters left on the defense from the team at the beginning of the season. The NE offense is the side of the ball that could have been more easily targeted so it leaves today being an even bigger uphill climb.

• Advertisement

Foxtrol wrote: »
    With 3rd string C and Mostert out (don't see Coleman as too much of a loss) I think we'll have struggle with running today and Bill will have plans to put Jimmy off.

Only 3 starters left on the defense from the team at the beginning of the season. The NE offense is the side of the ball that could have been more easily targeted so it leaves today being an even bigger uphill climb.

Yeah but I think the offense should be able to put up some points. I think they have a good chance.

Needs a good jimmy game though.

Advertisement