Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

San Francisco 49ers Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

The team was built to win this year. They have around 40 free agents. They have non CB's signed next year. I guess this offseason:

* Sign Trent Williams
    * Sign Jason Verrett
    * Let Sherman go
    * Cut Dee Ford
    * Kawann Williams - Probably have to let him go given the cap situation.
    * Jimmy - I think you bring him back there are no better options there right now.
    * Draft a QB (Not necessarily in the first round but someone with some potential)
    * Bring in a veteran QB to complete and at least act as a competent backup.
    * Move on from Mullens/Bethard
    * Extend Fred Warner
    * Draft a CB, Interior O-Line, Pass Rusher (again)
    * Top up talent along O-line and secondary in free agency.
    * Figure out an option at Center.
    * Don't waste any money on running backs.
    * Consider cutting Juzchek and Gould to free up some cash.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

49ers have signed Josh Rosen apparently.

EDIT: Mullens done for the year apparently:

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1341518478197616640

Should have brought kaep back for the last 2 games. :)

Not sold on jimmy still. Injuries abound but losing bosa, kittle and the whole back field nearly, hard to see how we could salvage the season.

Still, decent draft position and losing a few overpaid pieces that can be replaced cheaper should hopefully mean we can still have a crack next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭myate

"Sometimes when you win, you really lose, and sometimes when you lose, you really win". Suits this win for sure.

Well they didn't free up any money by cutting Gould, they gave him a fully guaranteed 2 year deal making him the 4th highest paid kicker in the league. He had been the 2nd highest paid kicker so thats something, but for a team in cap trouble that is too much to be paying their kicker.

What it does tell me though is that the 49ers see themselves as contenders next season, as if they were going into a rebuilding year they could have released Gould and gone cheaper at that position. Bringing back Gould implies that they feel they need a reliable kicker for a potential playoff run.

The 49ers currently own the 15th draft pick though a lot can change this week, there are 5 teams currently on 6-9, with a further 4 on 5 wins. The 49ers have played one of the toughest schedules this year which means they will likely lose out on tie-breakers with teams of the same record.

So we are rooting for the following teams this week:

New England v Jets
    Minnesota v Detroit
    Chargers v Chiefs
    Dallas v Giants
    Denver v Las Vegas
    Carolina v New Orleans

Though Carolina one doesn't really matter as we would likely lose the tie breaker on SOS.

• Advertisement

Gould was a luxery I dont think we can afford. Dont get me wrong, I agree that theres worth in a reliable kicker but this isnt 2018 or 2019 when we were swimming in cap space and rookies. We need to free up cash. Replacing Gould with a rookie was a no brainer in my mind.

Perhaps thats why Im a schmuk on the couch and KS is earning millions to be an NFL coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,032 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

adrian522 wrote: »
    Well they didn't free up any money by cutting Gould, they gave him a fully guaranteed 2 year deal making him the 4th highest paid kicker in the league. He had been the 2nd highest paid kicker so thats something, but for a team in cap trouble that is too much to be paying their kicker.

What it does tell me though is that the 49ers see themselves as contenders next season, as if they were going into a rebuilding year they could have released Gould and gone cheaper at that position. Bringing back Gould implies that they feel they need a reliable kicker for a potential playoff run.

The 49ers currently own the 15th draft pick though a lot can change this week, there are 5 teams currently on 6-9, with a further 4 on 5 wins. The 49ers have played one of the toughest schedules this year which means they will likely lose out on tie-breakers with teams of the same record.

So we are rooting for the following teams this week:

New England v Jets
    Minnesota v Detroit
    Chargers v Chiefs
    Dallas v Giants
    Denver v Las Vegas
    Carolina v New Orleans

Though Carolina one doesn't really matter as we would likely lose the tie breaker on SOS.

Likely getting ahead of myself but they are definitely contenders next year. Despite injury upon injury to nearly every key player they were a handful of below average rather than dire backup QB performances away from the playoffs. A lot has been made about the number of FAs but the large majority of them can be relatively easily replaced and we aren't quite in the same kind of cap hole as a lot of teams. Gould's contract is a saving on average numbers and I wouldn't be at all surprised in finding it is heavily backloaded to the 2nd year, saving even more money for when things are tight.

From that list of games, I'd say it is quite likely the first 4 could happen (presuming Chiefs rest their stars). Even though I'd love a higher draft spot I'm very happy the team won last weekend. It helps the culture and the team going into the off season. No one knows how the draft or prospects will play out, that win however boosts the morale of the team and could help locking down a player or two on a slightly more team friendly deal.

New England v Jets :D
    Minnesota v Detroit :D
    Chargers v Chiefs :D
    Dallas v Giants :mad:
    Denver v Las Vegas :mad:
    Carolina v New Orleans N/A

So things went pretty good for the 49ers. Dallas came up short, mainly because of a dodgy Dante Pettis Catch and no challenge from Dallas. Denver lost on a 2-pt conversion at the end of the game.

The 49ers will pick at 12th. The win against Arizona 'cost' them 3 places in the draft.

That Seattle game is what we needed against Arz last week...play hard, come up just short! Oh well!

myate wrote: »
    That Seattle game is what we needed against Arz last week...play hard, come up just short! Oh well!

Strongly disagree. The team and staff spent over a month away from their families, mostly having to stay alone in hotel rooms and supposedly not even interacting with each other outside of the practice field. It would have been horrible for them to go through that only for 5 losses in a row. I'm much happier to see them fight to the end even if that means a slightly worse draft pick, which are dart throws at the best of times.

After only skimming a lot of the draft coverage until FA last year, due to the deep run, post super bowl depression, and the expectation of only having a very late pick, I'm looking forward to diving deeper this year. This offseason should be really interesting, especially what they do at QB - though this might change at this point I'm open to nearly whatever they decide, FA, trade up in draft for the top tier, draft a 2nd/3rd tier guy, stick with Jimmy, or a mix of those. The one option I'm very much against is having Jimmy's full cap hit on the books and moving up to draft a top tier QB - it is just too much resources for that position to win when either Jimmy or a young QB would need that support elsewhere.

Given our draft history, presuming we can Williams back at LT, I am mentally prepared for us to pick up another DL this year, once it is an edge guy.

• Advertisement

Seeing as it kinda began a few weeks ago with Jimmy, it's gonna be a long offseason with rumours & rumours. Deshaun Watson to the Niners! Can't see it happening but would be nice! I guess we'll have to wait until March when Jimmy's contract is due.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Johnrazz

myate wrote: »
    Seeing as it kinda began a few weeks ago with Jimmy, it's gonna be a long offseason with rumours & rumours. Deshaun Watson to the Niners! Can't see it happening but would be nice! I guess we'll have to wait until March when Jimmy's contract is due.

I think it’s only SF and Miami that could give Houston what they want. A QB that could slot right in for them and picks, they need picks badly.

Jimmy a first and a second for Deshaun, who says no?

Miami better placed if they decide to move on from Tua they could give them back the #3 pick and Tua and they’ll still have a first rounder.

If I was Houston I'd say no to that. Even with the number 3 pick they are not getting a QB in the same league as Watson. Houston would be insane to even consider trading him to be honest.

Gonna take more than 1st, 2nd & a player. More likely minimum two 1st's and a 2nd and a player. But if someone really really wants him, three 1st's. Jamal Adams was two 1st's and he's not a QB! Trades are now like contracts...the next big player traded always commands more than the last!

You know I'm starting to think drafting Solomon Thomas may have been a mistake :)

Never forget...this day last year we were playing in the Divisional Round! https://imgur.com/a/Ul7GWVf
    Now it's Jimmy to stay or go!

Would you take the rumoured trade? Jimmy and picks for Lamar?

Hes a great player and I love a QB that can take off on a sneak but hes gonna cost a lot and I think we need the draft picks.

Lamar? Do you mean Watson?

I would say yes, in a heartbeat but I don't see any way it happens unfortunately.

Lamar? Do you mean Watson?

I would say yes, in a heartbeat but I don't see any way it happens unfortunately.

Yeah. My bad

Lamar...thats a new one! Definitely not on the rumour mill. And no I wouldn't want him, he is Kap 2.0...wait & see! Watson yes (discussed a few posts back)...happy to hand over 3 1st rounders too, and Jimmy. Very surprised if Lynch & Kyle do it though. They tend not to listen to Jerry Rice, Michael Irvin etc!

• Advertisement

Miami can offer a better package for him if they were interested, Tua, plus 2 first round picks this year (including #3), plus whatever else Houston is looking for. Funny that pick was originally Houston's before they traded it to Miami.

Anyway I think Houston would be crazy to even consider trading Watson at any price so I think they will sort out whatever problems there are but if they are trading him Miami can make a better offer than us.

Only chance would be if Watson was to be adamant about where he wanted to go but that is a fairly remote possibility.

Despite having more picks this year than recently, we simply don't have the capital other teams do. I'd put the front runners to be the Dolphins, who we wouldn't have a chance to compete with. The only way we have a chance is if he forces a trade and they decide they want him out of the AFC.

I'd happily give them 2 1sts and Jimmy plus a few later round picks, even a 3rd first at a push.

I don't think he moves now though, rumours are that the Texans have now requested an interview with Bienemy - one of the things that Watson was apparently really annoyed they didn't do. In normal Texans fashion, they've put themselves in a bad spot now, as they missed the window where he could have interviewed so have to wait to interview - meaning they may miss out on other options if the interview doesn't go well or Bienemy turns them down.

And Saleh is gone to the Jets. Great for him and well deserved, more for this year than last even! We get an extra 3rd round pick out of it. Looks like the next DC will be an internal guy and it looks like Saleh is taking Matt LeFluer with him for OC.

Nice to get a free third round pick I guess but 2 big coaching losses right there. They'll probably pick upa few of our free agents too with all their cap space.

I was hoping we could resign Verett and Kawann Williams for reasonable deals, Tartt too. I'd imagine Saleh may take a look at those guys now too.

Be nice for Verett to resign. Took a massive chance on him and it finally paid off this year. But yeah, you'll see guys go with him now. He can have Sherman though!! Thanks for the last few years but those last few games he had checked out.

Good move by Saleh. hes got a good team to work with and the tools to do it.

I think he probable should take Sherman with him, lets not underestimate the stabilising effect he had on the dressing room when he landed.

Yeah, happy with that landing spot for Saleh. Some of the other places look like nightmare spots - when I heard he was interviewing for Philly I was scared for him.

Not the end of the world when it looks like we're keeping Peters, Mayhew, get the two 3rd round picks, and promote Ryans to DC. Ryans seems to be widely respected within the team and Warner has given him huge credit for his development. If we didn't promote him it would be very likely he'd be snapped up elsewhere this offseason or next. He has been pointed to having the trajectory of being a HC in the future so we could get more picks down the line (especially likely if Saleh does well).

Losing LaFleur isn't ideal but this is why I'm so happy having our HC being the driver of our offense. He can't be stolen away and a shiny new OC is always more enticing for a HC than a DC. I'm sure there will be plenty of interest from the top young bright coaching talent to join the 49ers and learn under Shanahan. Having said that, it seems Mike McDaniel might be targeted by a few teams as their OC so it will be great if we can manage to keep him and some continuity below Shanahan.

FAs going to the Jets will be tough for us but they are still unlikely to challenging for a few years so you can't fault guys getting their money. Having that relationship within the Jets should give us an inside track if looking to trade up to their 2nd or trying for Darnold - avoiding us getting screwed around like we have been for a few guys we tried to work trades out with.

Anyone for Aaron Rodgers? Something I thought might happen, if GB got to the playoffs but blew up, he might want out. Well they didn't blow up, but lost again at the last hurdle and his interview after was almost like a goodbye to GB! Hard to know with him though, he's kind of very hard to read...he knows how to play the off field game better than most.
    I'd put him top of the list to try to get, followed by Stafford, then Watson. Interesting few weeks coming up!

So the QB roster for 2021 is Watson, Rodgers, Stafford. Who is starting?:D

• Advertisement

Let Rodgers start, then Watson, definitely Stafford to finish!

Advertisement