Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

San Francisco 49ers Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Good interview with Kyle Shanahan on the KNBR Murph & Mac podcast today if anyone is interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,010 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Happy enough with that preseason game. Most of the draft picks look good, with the quality of Hurd, Deebo, Greenlaw, Wishnowsky standing out. Hard to tell too much from it with all the players not dressing but similar issues as last year standing appearing again, injuries and discipline.

Below is the shocking list of injuries at this point, though thankfully for now most are relatively short term.

https://twitter.com/CamInman/status/1160383681539690501

Game 3 definitely an improvement and I'm struggling to contain optimism heading into the season.

Really hoping Kyle's keeping 3 QB comment is a bluff to try to get a team to trade for Mullens/CJ. It would be a complete waste of a spot on the roster when we have good WR/RB/DL guys that would have to be let go to keep the third QB. Obviously CJ is who I'd want rid of.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭myate

Game 3 first half not bad alright! Roll on Tampa now! From listening to John Lynch on KNBR, Bosa is still being managed but looking ok. Dee Ford looks to be back! But McKinnon sounds like he's done, possibly for good. Don't think we'll ever see him playing in a Niners uniform. For him, really hope he gets back playing at some point and doesn't have to retire.
    I think we take 3 qb's on the roster and I'm all for that. Seen last year what happens when no 1 goes down, then no 2 goes down! Mullens should be the backup but Kyle does like CJ a lot! Neither one of them can go onto the practice squad as they wouldn't last a day there.

myate wrote: »
    Game 3 first half not bad alright! Roll on Tampa now! From listening to John Lynch on KNBR, Bosa is still being managed but looking ok. Dee Ford looks to be back! But McKinnon sounds like he's done, possibly for good. Don't think we'll ever see him playing in a Niners uniform. For him, really hope he gets back playing at some point and doesn't have to retire.
    I think we take 3 qb's on the roster and I'm all for that. Seen last year what happens when no 1 goes down, then no 2 goes down! Mullens should be the backup but Kyle does like CJ a lot! Neither one of them can go onto the practice squad as they wouldn't last a day there.

Who do you drop from the squad to keep a 3rd QB?

It is made a bit easier now that they've stashed Harris and potentially Street (again) on season ending IR. Even if we give up on McKinnon for the season/good you're likely to have to cut a good DL or WR to keep CJ.

If we get to the point where we're on our third string QB the season is a write off anyway, might as well keep a better non-QB player you can use if the season is going well or keep a guy who you can develop for future years.

• Advertisement

McKinnon on season ending IR. Looks like he'll never see a snap as a 49er :(

Roster hopefully is far from finalized. 3 QBs and 4 TEs with 3 safeties and 5 LBs is very lopsided. OL looks light also in talent and potentially numbers.

2nd spot in waivers should hopefully allow for some talent to be added.

After the game last night I feel even more confident about the performance at the weekend. Bucs defense looked solid and even on a short week and playing on the road their offense looked better, which plays into the comments from Evans after the game about how impressed he was by the 9ers defense.

Despite not being 100%, having barely any training for a few weeks before, or playing in a game since 2018, Bosa looks as good as advertised as the best player in the draft. The whole DL looked so much better than last year and that should only get better as Ford and Bosa get up to speed. Really hoping the secondary can keep close to that level of performance.

Big thing, as every year, is penalties continue to hurt us, with 3 TDs called back. Hopefully this isn't a false dawn and the team can build on that tough road win by picking up another.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,343 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Pretty happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Dymo

They were very impressive last night, they tore the Bengals apart. I was trying to remember the last time they went 2-0 at the start of the season and it goes back to 2012.

There still lacking in the WR department, but Kittle is performing great and there is still a lot of work to do but with the Steelers and Browns next they should get the time to try a couple of new things, they could be looking at 4-0 if they can hold it together!

Joe Staley is a big loss but hopefully they will have backups.

I forgot how enjoyable it is to be following a winning team!

Heading into another Sunday with optimism feels strange. The team hasn't really gotten quite the credit it deserves yet and is going under the radar in the broader media, which will likely continue even if they beat the Steelers today, given that Big Ben is out. Small sample size but both the Bengals and Bucs looked much better on the road in the other game they played than at home against the 49ers.

Secondary is performing above expectations and despite 2 of the 3 best DL playing through injuries, they're getting plenty of sacks and pressures despite being one of the lowest blitzing teams. On offense we're finally starting to see what the team has been building towards the last 2 season and hopefully it'll keep improving as Jimmy gets back up to speed. I know I may jinx it here but I suspect Shanahan to target Fitzpatrick if Tomlin follows through and plays him a lot straight away. You can't learn a defense and communication that quickly and stressing those aspects of a defense is Kyle's bread and butter.

The Staley loss is obviously huge, though I'm hoping that Shanahan will scheme some support for Skule and the bye week will give them a chance to work on it further or get someone else in. The team has had one of the top OL so far and it would be great if that didn't completely fall off a cliff now

• Advertisement

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Heading into another Sunday with optimism feels strange. The team hasn't really gotten quite the credit it deserves yet and is going under the radar in the broader media, which will likely continue even if they beat the Steelers today, given that Big Ben is out. Small sample size but both the Bengals and Bucs looked much better on the road in the other game they played than at home against the 49ers.

Secondary is performing above expectations and despite 2 of the 3 best DL playing through injuries, they're getting plenty of sacks and pressures despite being one of the lowest blitzing teams. On offense we're finally starting to see what the team has been building towards the last 2 season and hopefully it'll keep improving as Jimmy gets back up to speed. I know I may jinx it here but I suspect Shanahan to target Fitzpatrick if Tomlin follows through and plays him a lot straight away. You can't learn a defense and communication that quickly and stressing those aspects of a defense is Kyle's bread and butter.

The Staley loss is obviously huge, though I'm hoping that Shanahan will scheme some support for Skule and the bye week will give them a chance to work on it further or get someone else in. The team has had one of the top OL so far and it would be great if that didn't completely fall off a cliff now

And I jinxed it...

2 tipped INTs not great.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,579 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

This is bonkers

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

That was a pretty messy performance. No two ways about it really.

5 turnovers is pretty unforgivable, against a better team we would have lost by 20+

The defense was great for the most part, Verett got beaten on his first 2 plays then got called ashore. The defensive line was very very good, constantly in the back field and it really is helping out the secondary.

I thought Garoppolo was pretty great throughout , a few off target throws but he was great for staying in the pocket, taking the hits and getting his throws off.

Overall great to be 3-0 but plenty to work on in the bye week

adrian522 wrote: »
    That was a pretty messy performance. No two ways about it really.

5 turnovers is pretty unforgivable, against a better team we would have lost by 20+

The defense was great for the most part, Verett got beaten on his first 2 plays then got called ashore. The defensive line was very very good, constantly in the back field and it really is helping out the secondary.

I thought Garoppolo was pretty great throughout , a few off target throws but he was great for staying in the pocket, taking the hits and getting his throws off.

Overall great to be 3-0 but plenty to work on in the bye week

They definitely need to tighten up on things, though most of the turnovers seemed to be incredibly unlucky rather than a deep rooted problem. It is rare that you have that many bounces go against you and still come out on top, with the luck of the team the last 2 season they'd have definitely lost it.

Not sure what to make of Verrett. Obviously those plays were terrible but I'm not sure if it is a fair reflection of the player he is now or he is just rusty and coming cold. Definitely a concern.

I complained about an early bye but it is coming at a good time. Should allow some injuries to clear up, Ford, Bosa, Hurd, Witherspoon, Ward and give time for the likes of Skule and Verrett (if required) time to bed in a bit more. Plenty of time to gameplan for the Browns and I think the pass rush could cause Baker a lot of problems.

Last undefeated team in the NFC :cool:

Injuries, Injuries Injuries:

OT Joe Staley (leg) Out another 3 to 4 weeks

CB Ahkello Witherspoon (foot) 3 to 4 weeks

FB Kyle Juszczyk (knee) 4 to 6 weeks

RT Mike McGlinchey (knee) 4 to 6 weeks

The next 6 weeks are:

@LA
    @Washington
    vs Carolina
    @Arizona
    vs Seattle
    vs Arizona

You'd hope they could go 4-2 in hose games, even with the injuries, but at least 3-3, leaving them 7-3 and hopefully healthy heading into a stretch that includes Green Bay, Baltimore and New Orleans before finishing with Atlanta and return games with Seattle and LA.

Please let the injuries stop though.

Injuries, Injuries Injuries:

OT Joe Staley (leg) Out another 3 to 4 weeks

CB Ahkello Witherspoon (foot) 3 to 4 weeks

FB Kyle Juszczyk (knee) 4 to 6 weeks

RT Mike McGlinchey (knee) 4 to 6 weeks

The next 6 weeks are:

@LA
    @Washington
    vs Carolina
    @Arizona
    vs Seattle
    vs Arizona

You'd hope they could go 4-2 in hose games, even with the injuries, but at least 3-3, leaving them 7-3 and hopefully healthy heading into a stretch that includes Green Bay, Baltimore and New Orleans before finishing with Atlanta and return games with Seattle and LA.

At least they aren't all season ending like recent years. Also having Taylor and Hurd on IR has impacted our WR depth.

Probably the best run of games to have injuries, though there's obviously no guarantees the list won't grow.

Jimmy has done a great job of getting the ball out quickly so far but the OT injuries probably pose bigger concerns for the running game. Still feel Kyle will be able to scheme up enough to get at least that 4-2 win you mentioned, more if the defense can keep playing at the level they are.

Between Gurley being questionable, their OL drop off this year, and how Goff is generally terrible when he is put under pressure I think the team has a decent chance of winning on the road this weekend, even with all the injuries.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,343 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

@LA
    @Washington
    vs Carolina
    @Arizona
    vs Seattle
    vs Arizona

Yeah, 4-2 seems very reasonable in that stretch. Would be annoyed if they don't win at least 1 of the Seahawks, Rams and Panthers games but obviously very possible with the injuries. Other 3 really shouldn't be an issue with the way they are going at the moment.

This weekend will be a good test of where the team really are.

I know wins and losses are all that counts but this paints a nice picture if it can be continued

https://twitter.com/Wittnessed/status/1183624251183489024

• Advertisement

Even when things were going badly the previous two seasons, the team seemed to be very close with each other. Now that they are winning they are out there having a great time together every week

https://twitter.com/TheSFNiners/status/1186341132722032640

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Hopefully we pick up a WR before the trade deadline, I had heard previous rumours of Sanu (just signed for the Pats) and Devantae Parker.
    Due to the broadcast camera angles it's always hard to tell if your WR's are getting separation or not, I just fear that the moment will come that our run and short pass game will come unstuck and Jimmy G wont have anywhere to go with it...

shoutman wrote: »
    Hopefully we pick up a WR before the trade deadline, I had heard previous rumours of Sanu (just signed for the Pats) and Devantae Parker.
    Due to the broadcast camera angles it's always hard to tell if your WR's are getting separation or not, I just fear that the moment will come that our run and short pass game will come unstuck and Jimmy G wont have anywhere to go with it...

Your wish has been already answered, we picked up Sanders this evening!

Not too expensive either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Your wish has been already answered, we picked up Sanders this evening!

Not too expensive either.

I drafted him late on my fantasy team too...

Not a huge fan of the trade. 3rd round pick is a lot to give up for a 32-Year Old receiver who is probably not all that much better than what we have, is often injured and will need a new deal next season.

AJ green would have been a better target but Sanders I guess is fine, healthy right now but no pick from rounds 2-4 next year will hurt and we will probably have to overpay to keep him. Hasn't played a 16 game season since 2014.

Not a huge fan of the trade. 3rd round pick is a lot to give up for a 32-Year Old receiver who is probably not all that much better than what we have, is often injured and will need a new deal next season.

AJ green would have been a better target but Sanders I guess is fine, healthy right now but no pick from rounds 2-4 next year will hurt and we will probably have to overpay to keep him. Hasn't played a 16 game season since 2014.

He is definitely better than what we have. He is instantly WR1 and is coming from a system that comes from Shanahan's. Right now we have 2 guys on IR that we don't know if they'll come back or how they'll look, Deebo - a rookie that has shown flashes but is currently injured, Pettis - a second year player that again flashes but has a lot of drops this year, Goodwin - picked up a lot of injuries the last 2 years and hasn't looked the same, Bourne - consistently inconsistent, James - a special teamer more than anything, and Matthews - yet to catch the ball since being re-signed.

I'd be against the move if it wasn't for the start we've had. Very few would have even hoped to be undefeated at this point in the year and I'd rather be aggressive now than look back at what could have been. For all we know we have a run of injuries to key players next year and aren't in this position again.

Having no picks 2-4 next year hurts but not nearly as much now that we have a reasonably deep squad with minimal likely losses in FA. We shouldn't have a glaring need where we can't trade back one or more times from the 1st round pick and gather up some more mid-round picks.

Nice having a quiet Sunday to enjoy the other games after the somewhat stressful end to Thursday night.

2 stats I saw that I didn't realize beforehand:
    - first time to beat Cardinals since 2014
    - clinched being .500 or above for the first time since 2014

We have been bad for a while, this season had been a dream so far.

Staley and Kittle both out for Sunday.

Staley and Kittle both out for Sunday.

Think they came out and backtracked a bit on the Kittle statement, saying what Kyle meant to say was that he isn't confirmed out but he has to plan as if he will be. Pretty likely he'll be missing though.

Staley didn't do well last week but he's another loss. Hopefully he can come back soon as I feel he'll need a few games to get back to top performance prior to knockout football.

At least it looks like Sanders is day to day. Presuming he plays I feel the game on Sunday should go more smoothly than the game in Arizona. Hoping they used up all the wrinkles and that we've tightened up on defending screens.

• Advertisement

Never in Doubt!

Advertisement