Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

San Francisco 49ers Discussion

Options
1525354555658»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,010 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

If I was in charge I'd have kept him. The cap savings are going to be around what a good backup would be next year. I dont have comfort in Darnold at all - if Purdy went out I'd rather see what Lance had, he has shown he can play well enough to win with the stacked 49ers team.

Can understand why they moved him though. It sucks out the very likely calls for Lance to come in if Purdy struggles at all - that is very unlikely with Darnold now. They've gone all in on Purdy so doing everything to support that is the logical move. They will live or die by that decision (though I dont think Kyle will be on the hot seat regardless of what happens).

A 4th is more than I expected for him given the cool market until now. At the same time it is a great roll of the dice move by the Cowboys, 4th round picks are always gambles. Surprised a few more teams weren't in for him. Despite the CMC trade we have so much draft capital going into the next draft (12 picks and 9 in the first 5 rounds) so wouldn't be surprised if there isn't a trade or two made for cheap guys before cuts or the deadline.

Big next thing is the Bosa signing - they need to just get it done.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Saving 5M next year is not exactly a small consideration either.

It is and it isnt.

Really depends who they have as backup next year. Darnold's cap hit this year is potentially more than 5m. The low end if he doesn't see the field or plays poorly is ~4m, while the high end playing well and winning would be ~10m cost this season.

Unless they go for a cheaper backup next year, whoever they bring in is likely going to cost around the same or more than what it would have been to keep Lance.

Having said that, in a scenario where they don't trust Lance and wouldnt be comfortable with him as #2 then it makes sense to take the savings.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭myate

As Belichick would say....we're on to Pittsburgh! Finally, no more contract/trade/backup talk. We're on to football & the Steelers! 6pm Sunday, yew!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

How are we feeling ahead of tonight?

25 years ago we had the below classic, one of the most memorable games of my lifetime for sure.

9 future hall of famers, back and forth game, luckily no replay reviews then and one of the most iconic plays in 49ers history

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I'd settle for what ye did two years ago.

Any team can lose a game if enough bounces of the ball go against them but it would a complete disaster if the team doesnt win tonight.

Love looks like he'll be a star and they're in a decent run of form but believe they're very overhyped. Their run in has been against a lot of very poor sides and have been fighting for their lives for weeks vs the 49ers who should be fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

I don't know about any of the rest of ye but I went through an entire spectrum of emotion last night. Absolutely buzzing today though.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭myate

The win is superb, no doubt. But that team right now isn't beating any AFC team if they get to Vegas. They haven't been the bulldozer 49ers since mid-December against Arz. Almost like the Ravens did what we normally do to teams...it's still lingering somehow. They didn't look fresh (bar CMC) but it wasn't rust...like how the Ravens looked with the slow start. Purdy has played in the rain before but that play was pretty bad, except the last drive and the odd throw. Throws were high, wide, long...just bad. But he delivered at the end when it mattered most (and that 3rd down throw to JJ was simply perfection). Run D was bad. D line wasn't great, not bad but not what it should be...Armstead definitely not right still. Don't know how GB didn't target Thomas more...thought he had cleaned all those penalties up but that was rookie style Ambry.

It rained a lot in Santa Clara this week...I can't understand how they couldn't get their cleats right...on their own field.

Weather looks good for next week. Deebo looks like he should be ok - definition of a game changer 100% in the playoffs. This game might be what wakes them up proper because they were close to going out. The win is great for sure & great they won playing pretty poorly and it isn't Superbowl or bust, nobody will be getting fired here...but anything other than Superbowl will be disappointing...Packers, Bucs, Lions all can say nobody thought we'd get here, we're building nicely for the future. Everyone thought Niners would/should get here.

Crazy game but it felt great going into one of those back and forth games when so many things go wrong and still come out the right side of it.

I definitely underestimated the Packers but am still confident for next week no matter who we face.

• Advertisement

Think I'm nearly ready to turn the page on the SB and think towards next season. Lots of understandable doom and gloom but they can easily keep the majority of the team together and Purdy should have his first ever offseason as an NFL starter - so a further jump from him might be on the cards, wild to think.

Great news with the salary cap increase, helps most a team like us with a lot of top quality players already on the roster.

Interesting in how they play FA, no risk of losing major starters. Can restructure a few to make a splash if they want to but not sure how wise it is with so many core team out of contract the following years and wanting to get paid. Hopefully they can keep some of the depth guys, maybe one or more of Young, Kinlaw, Ferrell if they don't get big offers, and then add a few cheaper guys who might be ring hunting. Then we have 11 draft picks coming in to bolster.

They're really dragging the arse out of the DC hire. Presume they have to be negotiating with someone external if it is taking this long. Big name hire? Not sure how that will work with Kyle though, even if it is someone he has a huge amount of respect for (even in a shock like Bill).

Sorensen promoted to DC and Staley brought in as Assistant HC.

Actually like the balance - Shanahan clearly knows what he wants the defense to run and in that scenario you might as well do an internal hire - especially as the players seemed to have an issue with an outside voice. Bringing Staley in to provides a new flavour that they can sprinkle in, especially if moving from the many roles of HC allows him to get back to the type of coach that made that Rams defense so dangerous when he was DC.

If it doesn't work out there is likely many more options next year, especially if Jets clear house.

Interesting pick last night.

Firmly in that second bucket of receivers and he was likely going to be gone pretty soon in the 2nd round, with the number of WR needy teams picking early in that round. Probably a slight reach but he looks like a really good player and most analysts seem to see him as a great fit for Kyle.

It does leave the door open to trading one of our WRs but I dont feel that is likely at this stage. Feel Deebo could go if they got the right offer for him, though it would weaken us in our current window. Most likely Aiyuk gets resigned, Pearsall works behind him and Deebo and then they move on from Deebo next offseason.

Advertisement