Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anything genuinely creepy or unnerving ever happened to you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

saabsaab wrote: »
    I've heard it said that some people have weird dreams after getting the flu shot. Amyone? It can make the arm sore for a bit alright.

I seen a post on boards before saying get a quartz crystal and put it under your pillow and see what happens. I'm not into anything like that so i said, i'll get one and do it and i bet nothing happens. So i did it and had about a week of the weirdest, wildest dreams i have ever had....which apparently is what was supposed to happen.

Now it could be coincidence, as i said i'm a very skeptical type of person, but it was a genuinely bizzare experience. (I rarely remember my dreams, although the ones i do remember, do tend to be batshít crazy) I'd actually compare it to taking acid or mushrooms. I still have the crystal at home but it seems to have lost it's mojo unfortunately:D

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Capt. Autumn

Around about 1985 I went through a phase of mitching school with my brother and close friend.

As anyone who has ever mitched off school will know, the biggest problem is what to do with yourself for the day. You can't go home, it's too late to head back into school and it seems everyone you meet knows that you are up to no good. One of the places we used to hang out it was the old RIC barracks in Mountrath. If I could explain the set-up here, this was a disused, ancient building consisting of four three story buildings set around a courtyard. It was an ideal haunt, remote, loads to explore, lots of old newspapers to read and bric and brac to sift through.

One afternoon we were idly throwing stones across the courtyard, trying to hit and smash some panes of glass on the buildings on the other side. Suddenly, from a second story building I saw the form of a woman's face looking out from a window ledge glancing in our direction. She was translucent, almost floating, she looked quizzically at what we were doing. She did not look real. I convinced myself that it was a trick of the light. I hadn't really seen anything.....then I saw her again. There she was in the window, floating, staring at us. 'What the f***', I said. I looked over at my brother. He was standing mouth agog, staring at the window. I wanted to be sure that he saw what I saw so I said nothing and asked him to describe what he saw. 'A floating woman, over there in the window, staring at us'. 'Yes', I shouted, 'I saw her too!!'

We froze. Our friend, who had seen nothing, started taking the p*** saying that we were having him on. We assured him that this was no wind-up. It took at least half an hour before we plucked up the courage to go across the courtyard and investigate the sighting. As we walked across we convinced ourselves that there would be some logical explanation, a torn piece of polythene hanging from a nail or debris all over the second storey floor. Something that would explain what had fooled a couple of obviously deliriously bored teenagers into thinking they had seen some sort of other-worldly spirit. When we reached the building and walked into the ground floor below the window from which we had seen the vision, our blood ran cold.

There was no ceiling, no floor above our heads. We stared at the window standing isolated eight feet from the ground floor below. There was no debris, no stray piece of plastic swinging in the wind. It was obvious that nobody had been there today, nobody had been there for years and years. There followed a cameo from Scooby Doo when I swear I saw my legs frantically spinning but my body wasn't moving, or at least wasn't moving fast enough to get the hell out of there as fast as possible. We all exited through a small window in the back of the building. Of course I was the last one through and I was convinced the 'white lady' was going to grab me by the throat as I made good my escape....

Over the years, my brother and I often recall that afternoon. We both agree that it was the weirdest, most unexplainable thing that has happened to either of us. For years we promised ourselves we would go back some night and see if she would make another appearance, especially if we were after having a few drinks and were feeling brave, but we never summonsed up the courage. We did some research and, incredibly, did mange to dig up some sketchy details of a famous ghost in Mountrath, known as 'The White Lady'... I can't remember all the details now but apparently she died a violent death and there were numerous sightings of her in various locations around the town down through the years.

The courtyard behind the barracks is gone now. Most of the out-buildings levelled to make way for flats. Whenever I visit home and I drive by I can't help but glance over at the windows. Does the spirit still hang out there or did she finally relinquish her grip on this dimension when the wrecking ball levelled the old RIC out-buildings in Mountrath........?

https://www.omnia.ie/index.php?navigation_function=2&navigation_item=%2F15414%2Fniah_search_jsp_type_record_county_LA_regno_12900610&repid=1

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I seen a post on boards before saying get a quartz crystal and put it under your pillow and see what happens. I'm not into anything like that so i said, i'll get one and do it and i bet nothing happens. So i did it and had about a week of the weirdest, wildest dreams i have ever had....which apparently is what was supposed to happen.

Now it could be coincidence, as i said i'm a very skeptical type of person, but it was a genuinely bizzare experience. (I rarely remember my dreams, although the ones i do remember, do tend to be batshít crazy) I'd actually compare it to taking acid or mushrooms. I still have the crystal at home but it seems to have lost it's mojo unfortunately:D

It runs out of juice just like your phone. You need to charge it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

Around about 1985 I went through a phase of mitching school with my brother and close friend.

As anyone who has ever mitched off school will know, the biggest problem is what to do with yourself for the day. You can't go home, it's too late to head back into school and it seems everyone you meet knows that you are up to no good. One of the places we used to hang out it was the old RIC barracks in Mountrath. If I could explain the set-up here, this was a disused, ancient building consisting of four three story buildings set around a courtyard. It was an ideal haunt, remote, loads to explore, lots of old newspapers to read and bric and brac to sift through.

One afternoon we were idly throwing stones across the courtyard, trying to hit and smash some panes of glass on the buildings on the other side. Suddenly, from a second story building I saw the form of a woman's face looking out from a window ledge glancing in our direction. She was translucent, almost floating, she looked quizzically at what we were doing. She did not look real. I convinced myself that it was a trick of the light. I hadn't really seen anything.....then I saw her again. There she was in the window, floating, staring at us. 'What the f***', I said. I looked over at my brother. He was standing mouth agog, staring at the window. I wanted to be sure that he saw what I saw so I said nothing and asked him to describe what he saw. 'A floating woman, over there in the window, staring at us'. 'Yes', I shouted, 'I saw her too!!'

We froze. Our friend, who had seen nothing, started taking the p*** saying that we were having him on. We assured him that this was no wind-up. It took at least half an hour before we plucked up the courage to go across the courtyard and investigate the sighting. As we walked across we convinced ourselves that there would be some logical explanation, a torn piece of polythene hanging from a nail or debris all over the second storey floor. Something that would explain what had fooled a couple of obviously deliriously bored teenagers into thinking they had seen some sort of other-worldly spirit. When we reached the building and walked into the ground floor below the window from which we had seen the vision, our blood ran cold.

There was no ceiling, no floor above our heads. We stared at the window standing isolated eight feet from the ground floor below. There was no debris, no stray piece of plastic swinging in the wind. It was obvious that nobody had been there today, nobody had been there for years and years. There followed a cameo from Scooby Doo when I swear I saw my legs frantically spinning but my body wasn't moving, or at least wasn't moving fast enough to get the hell out of there as fast as possible. We all exited through a small window in the back of the building. Of course I was the last one through and I was convinced the 'white lady' was going to grab me by the throat as I made good my escape....

Over the years, my brother and I often recall that afternoon. We both agree that it was the weirdest, most unexplainable thing that has happened to either of us. For years we promised ourselves we would go back some night and see if she would make another appearance, especially if we were after having a few drinks and were feeling brave, but we never summonsed up the courage. We did some research and, incredibly, did mange to dig up some sketchy details of a famous ghost in Mountrath, known as 'The White Lady'... I can't remember all the details now but apparently she died a violent death and there were numerous sightings of her in various locations around the town down through the years.

The courtyard behind the barracks is gone now. Most of the out-buildings levelled to make way for flats. Whenever I visit home and I drive by I can't help but glance over at the windows. Does the spirit still hang out there or did she finally relinquish her grip on this dimension when the wrecking ball levelled the old RIC out-buildings in Mountrath........?

https://www.omnia.ie/index.php?navigation_function=2&navigation_item=%2F15414%2Fniah_search_jsp_type_record_county_LA_regno_12900610&repid=1
    Probably one of the best written, well described events to date on this thread...

Literally the hairs on the back of my next are standing to attention...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

It runs out of juice just like your phone. You need to charge it.

Do i just leave it under a rainbow or what? :D

• Advertisement

Do i just leave it under a rainbow or what? :D
    I think you can leave it outside overnight and there are different ways too. Check online or ask the person you bought it from, I'm suprised they didn't tell you that about it at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭john123470

When i used to traipse round the world.

One of my traipsings saw me in Osaka, Japan.
    I was doing physical work at the time so would
    come home exhausted in the evenings just
    available for bed.

One nite i was sleeping under my fotatsu (low
    heated wooden table covered with a fouton).

I was living on top floor of a 3 storey house in Kyoto
    near my work.
    There was an office mid floor (of the Korean Co
    i worked for) .. and an empty ground floor.
    I stayed alone there overnight.

One night, I awoke in terror .. convinced I'd heard 3
    distinctive loud knocks on my door. I threw open the
    door. Nobody there

Next evening when I returned from work, the Korean
    Secretary from the office .. hollered upstairs
    "- John-san, your father is dead - "

Talking with my sister later, I learned my Da
    had passed away the previous nite

I've always thought the 3 door raps were too
    distinctive to be co incidental

If he was saying goodbye, i always thought there
    might be a more gentle, tender way to do so ..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

My mother, when she was younger, saw her dead neighbor walking around said neighbors garden in the middle of the day.

Apparently the neighbor was dead about a week at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,743 ✭✭✭saabsaab

My mother, when she was younger, saw her dead neighbor walking around said neighbors garden in the middle of the day.

Apparently the neighbor was dead about a week at this stage.

Same story. A lady also told me she saw her next door neighbor in the garden but he had died a few years earlier!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Liebling

Parents had cowboys painting the outside of the house years ago. They were fierce dodgy characters and would make inappropriate comments as we passed them coming in from school. Ignoring them didn't work and out of frustration one day I said "you better mind yourself or you'll fall off that ladder". As we headed in the door we heard an almighty crash - your man had fallen off the ladder. Felt fierce guilty about it at the time - even made a card for your man.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭9db3xj7z41fs5u

Has anybody ever used a Ouija board?

It's not advisable tbh.

I know of someone back home who used one and it was an unpleasant experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

It was a great craze for a short while when I was at college.

Mixed reviews; mostly we thought people were cheating: by - consciously or unconsciously - pushing the gadget that made the letters spell out words.
    A few odd experiences did happen, though I never witnessed anything definitely supernatural.
    Went out of fashion, -- a lot of people seem to be very uneasy about this.

I admit that I retain a certain curiosity!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,743 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Many stories on this thread. As someone said most are second or third hand. Not many from personal experience.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Poundland AKA Dealz of all places selling them atm.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=8220416361338815&id=199098633470668

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

Nah, they always have given me the creeps. They got very popular back in the early-mid 90's and friends of mine at the time did it, they didnt have a good experience with it, don't know what it was, or if they just worked themselves up so much doing it but you cant mention it to them ever, even 20 odd years later....

One thing that freaked me out not so long ago, I was chopping food at the counter and my 5 year old son was at the table, I had my back to him. He was playing away and then asked me was I afraid, and I answered 'afraid of what baby?' And he replied 'of that man standing behind you?"
    Holy hell I turned around so fast I nearly got whiplash. No one there obviously. So I asked was he still there and he said, nope hes gone now. Hasn't mentioned seeing him since. Kids are freaky.
    The younger one who's 4 has a habit of coming into our bed room in the middle of the night and just stands beside the bed looking at you until you sense his presence, always scares the sh*te out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,007 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

There is nothing sinister about Ouija boards.
    Some of the stories around them would make you think they are dangerous. but they aren't.

Urban myths.

I strongly urge people not to get a Ouija board.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

NIMAN wrote: »
    Some of the stories around them would make you think they are dangerous. but they aren't.

Urban myths.

It's sustained taboo alright. But why?
    We, Boardsies, could always create a mass experiment, video recorded for concrete evidence, to see if the 'myth' holds true.
    ( Not me btw.)

NIMAN wrote: »

Urban myths.
    Why take a chance?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Hand in Your Pants

Hi folks,

Something very unnerving happened earlier. I was setting up a Bluetooth speaker to play medieval tunes for a gaming night and just after successfully connecting to my device it cut out and starting to produce a very strange and deep undulating sound out of which I could distinctly hear birdsong. I immediately checked my device which was paused on the medieval music page, and all the while this eerie noise was emitting from the speaker. Then I heard several very loud burping or retching sounds from the speaker, this was not white noise but definitely and distinctly human or animal sounding, but it scared the hell out of me.

Does anyone know what this could have been? Can Bluetooth speakers tune into other people's devices or radio waves?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

I'd say the speaker threw up at the thought of the drudgery ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

That's ghosts. Do you know any priests?

Just reading online about many other people who have reported similar unexpected noises from their devices.

Many reports of guttural, belching or growling sounds as well as wretching or choking sounds or otherwise menacing and otherworldly noises. Many with this undulating low frequency sound cutting in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

Delete all you devices then log back on

Bluetooth only goes about 35 feet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Toothy critters

• Registered Users Posts: 14,686 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Funny oul name isn't it, Bluetooth.

I'd have gone with AlabasterSkull I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭Trouser Snake

When you say Bluetooth OP, do you mean "cup against the wall"??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Just reading online about many other people who have reported similar unexpected noises from their devices.

Many reports of guttural, belching or growling sounds as well as wretching or choking sounds or otherwise menacing and otherworldly noises. Many with this undulating low frequency sound cutting in.

Wtf that would scare the **** out of me
    Any explanation as to why this occurred

• Advertisement

I'm just not sure what happened here. I tuned into something happening in the neighbours house and heard birdsong, rumbling (possibly a washing machine?) And at that exact moment they start making some very deep burping and wretching noises? What is the most reasonable explanation for this?

Advertisement