Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anything genuinely creepy or unnerving ever happened to you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,743 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Best watch his nuts, either way.

They are fond of them alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

I know I had the box of wood screws, but why would it explode and scatter them like that?

Where had you left the box of screws that it managed to explode so that it covered three middle steps of your stairs?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

A few weeks ago I was walking down a very quiet, narrow country road around 9:30/10 O'Clock, so it was nearly fully dark, no sign of any cars, when suddenly this blinding light appeared behind me,I heard no engine so I assumed it wasn't a car, so I felt this sense of disorientation for a few seconds before I realised it was just a van with very strong headlights and I hadn't heard the engine yet, I know it sounds pretty mild compared to a lot of stories on this thread but it frightened
    the life out of me.

A few weeks ago I was walking down a very quiet, narrow country road around 9:30/10 O'Clock, so it was nearly fully dark, no sign of any cars, when suddenly this blinding light appeared behind me,I heard no engine so I assumed it wasn't a car, so I felt this sense of disorientation for a few seconds before I realised it was just a van with very strong headlights and I hadn't heard the engine yet, I know it sounds pretty mild compared to a lot of stories on this thread but it frightened
    the life out of me.

Electric van? Some of these are very quiet.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

saabsaab wrote: »
    Electric van? Some of these are very quiet.

No, pretty sure it was diesel judging by the sound it made when whizzed by me.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

If I go into old houses or old buildings or old graveyards I see ghosts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    If I go into old houses or old buildings or old graveyards I see ghosts

Tell us more

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

When I was new to Ireland and the builder brought in a local water diviner to source a supply, he told how when he was younger he drank heavily and his old dad used to go on at him.

One night as he was driving to the pub, he saw his own gravestone in the road in front of him... And never drank again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Where had you left the box of screws that it managed to explode so that it covered three middle steps of your stairs?
    Ah, they were on the ground on the landing but they weren't near the edge. And I'm the only person in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

My grandad used to be a mechanic who lived alone in the middle of nowhere. Genuinely nowhere. Somewhere in Tipperary but it was a five-minute drive to the nearest house. During the summer we used to spend a couple weeks with him and go with him to work. It always puzzled us why he actually went to work, because he'd never, ever get any business. I don't think I saw him fix a single car, until this one day when one magically appears in his garage. Even as kids we couldn't understand how it got there, because we locked up with him the night before and, like always, there was no car. I remember him being spooked by it, but trying not to be. He said his neighbour, Mr Murphy (I've changed the real name), sometimes parks there, but you could tell he was bull****ting us to make us not worry as much, which made me even more worried. I've always been very emotionally intelligent. If the Leaving Cert was scored by emotional intelligence, and not real intelligence, I'd have got about a 2,000 points I think. Anyway, grandad tries to open the car, but all the doors are locked, as is the boot. I think it was a Renault. This wasn't during the summer, but our mid-term break in November. Even at 7am it was still pretty much pitch black and even inside you could see your own breath because it wasn't well insulated. The so-called door was a giant bit of sheet metal on a track that you slid across, and the very bottom was sort of flicked up like a hipster's quiff in some parts. Even when the door was shut, the air still got in, but it wasn't big enough to fit an old Renault unfortunately, as much as I wanted it to be. I wanted some sliver of a possible explanation to relax me. My brother was too young and too stupid to know what was going on, so he was no good to me, and grandad carried on about his business as if everything was grand. He lit a smoke and went straight to the office. He had this drawer with about a billion car keys in it. He put his hand in and started shuffling the keys in it, sort of like when somebody's doing an FA Cup draw. He didn't know what he was looking for but, again, he just wanted to make it look like he had a purpose, a plan, to find out what exactly was happening here. All of a sudden, somebody's on the other side of the 'door'. BANG! BANG! BANG! That's him knocking, not saying the word 'bang' over and over again by the way. I don't know if you've ever heard the sound of a thud against sheet metal, but it's really quite terrifying, especially when there's already skullduggery and mystery afoot. Grandad tells us forcibly to stay in the office, as if we actually wanted to see who it was. He also stubbed out his smoke, which made me more worried because it showed me that he was worried. Even surfing on a tidal wave he'd find a way to smoke the entire length of his cigarette, so this was quite a big deal. We can't see the 'door' from his office, so we have to rely on our ears. We hear the 'door' get slid across a small bit and, expecting dialogue, we hear nothing. Absolutely nothing. I tell my brother that it's probably our dad, knowing full well it absolutely is not. We hear it get slid shut again a few moments later. Still no voices. Then we hear footsteps, just one set. Somebody - hopefully grandad - stands on some glass that was there from the previous summer. A shard of glass must've got stuck on the sole of the foot because there's a crack with each step. The footsteps get louder. The crackle gets louder. And louder. And LOUDER. Somebody's outside the office door. "Grandad?" I call out. Still no voices, but there is a grunt. I forget to breathe when I hear it. The door opens slowly. I'm in absolute tears at this point. And my brother is in absolute tears, just because I'm in absolute tears. "Grandad?" I call out again, hopefully. It was Brendan O'Connor, but before he was famous, when he was about 24. "Morning lads," he goes. We're both ball crying. "What's the matter like?" We don't know who this f*cking guy is. "Where's grandad?" my brother asks. "Wouldn't you like to know boys, ha," says Brendan. We see grandad come up behind Brendan. Relief just isn't the word. "Grandad!" we both shout out, rushing to hug one leg apiece. "Couple of little sh*t bastards you've got there, Seamus," says Brendan. "You don't know the half of it," says grandad. As for who owned the car, well that's a mystery to this day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Hammer89 wrote: »
    My grandad used to be a mechanic who lived alone in the middle of nowhere. Genuinely nowhere. ...

All of a sudden, somebody's on the other side of the 'door'. BANG! BANG! BANG! That's him knocking, not saying the word 'bang' over and over again by the way. I don't know if you've ever heard the sound of a thud against sheet metal, but it's really quite terrifying, especially when there's already skullduggery and mystery afoot.

For a moment there, I thought Trent was going to karate-chop his way through the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

My grandad used to be a mechanic who lived alone in the middle of nowhere. Genuinely nowhere. Somewhere in Tipperary but it was a five-minute drive to the nearest house. During the summer we used to spend a couple weeks with him and go with him to work.

It always puzzled us why he actually went to work, because he'd never, ever get any business. I don't think I saw him fix a single car, until this one day when one magically appears in his garage. Even as kids we couldn't understand how it got there, because we locked up with him the night before and, like always, there was no car. I remember him being spooked by it, but trying not to be.

He said his neighbour, Mr Murphy (I've changed the real name), sometimes parks there, but you could tell he was bull****ting us to make us not worry as much, which made me even more worried. I've always been very emotionally intelligent. If the Leaving Cert was scored by emotional intelligence, and not real intelligence, I'd have got about a 2,000 points I think.

Anyway, grandad tries to open the car, but all the doors are locked, as is the boot. I think it was a Renault. This wasn't during the summer, but our mid-term break in November. Even at 7am it was still pretty much pitch black and even inside you could see your own breath because it wasn't well insulated.

The so-called door was a giant bit of sheet metal on a track that you slid across, and the very bottom was sort of flicked up like a hipster's quiff in some parts. Even when the door was shut, the air still got in, but it wasn't big enough to fit an old Renault unfortunately, as much as I wanted it to be. I wanted some sliver of a possible explanation to relax me. My brother was too young and too stupid to know what was going on, so he was no good to me, and grandad carried on about his business as if everything was grand.

He lit a smoke and went straight to the office. He had this drawer with about a billion car keys in it. He put his hand in and started shuffling the keys in it, sort of like when somebody's doing an FA Cup draw. He didn't know what he was looking for but, again, he just wanted to make it look like he had a purpose, a plan, to find out what exactly was happening here.

All of a sudden, somebody's on the other side of the 'door'. BANG! BANG! BANG! That's him knocking, not saying the word 'bang' over and over again by the way. I don't know if you've ever heard the sound of a thud against sheet metal, but it's really quite terrifying, especially when there's already skullduggery and mystery afoot.

Grandad tells us forcibly to stay in the office, as if we actually wanted to see who it was. He also stubbed out his smoke, which made me more worried because it showed me that he was worried. Even surfing on a tidal wave he'd find a way to smoke the entire length of his cigarette, so this was quite a big deal. We can't see the 'door' from his office, so we have to rely on our ears.

We hear the 'door' get slid across a small bit and, expecting dialogue, we hear nothing. Absolutely nothing. I tell my brother that it's probably our dad, knowing full well it absolutely is not. We hear it get slid shut again a few moments later. Still no voices. Then we hear footsteps, just one set.

Somebody - hopefully grandad - stands on some glass that was there from the previous summer. A shard of glass must've got stuck on the sole of the foot because there's a crack with each step. The footsteps get louder. The crackle gets louder. And louder. And LOUDER. Somebody's outside the office door.

"Grandad?" I call out. Still no voices, but there is a grunt. I forget to breathe when I hear it. The door opens slowly. I'm in absolute tears at this point. And my brother is in absolute tears, just because I'm in absolute tears. "Grandad?" I call out again, hopefully. It was Brendan O'Connor, but before he was famous, when he was about 24.

"Morning lads," he goes. We're both ball crying. "What's the matter like?" We don't know who this f*cking guy is. "Where's grandad?" my brother asks. "Wouldn't you like to know boys, ha," says Brendan. We see grandad come up behind Brendan. Relief just isn't the word. "Grandad!" we both shout out, rushing to hug one leg apiece. "Couple of little sh*t bastards you've got there, Seamus," says Brendan. "You don't know the half of it," says grandad. As for who owned the car, well that's a mystery to this day.

Ah... that's better. Now my eyes can stop bleeding! :pac:

Ah... that's better. Now my eyes can stop bleeding! :pac:

It was by design. Normally people tend to skip large chunks of the story and I didn't want any cheaters to have a part to skip to. Thanks for ruining a very good and very, very true story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

Thanks for ruining a very good and very, very true story.

If you do say so yourself :D:)

It was by design. Normally people tend to skip large chunks of the story and I didn't want any cheaters to have a part to skip to. Thanks for ruining a very good and very, very true story.

Well no; in fact I just could not cope with that unbroken mass of typing so had skipped the post altogether. And was very glad to see the PROPER version.

And as a former English teacher any student who shunned paragraph rules would have got a very low mark indeed if any!

re the water diviner; he taught me how to do that and opined that we can all do it. Used a twisted metal coat hanger.

It was the strangest feeling when the rod started moving against my hands. Weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Tinytemper

I didn't read the post in both forms, can you give me a synopsis?

Tinytemper wrote: »
    I didn't read the post in both forms, can you give me a synopsis?

I can't, no. What i can tell you is that it's genuinely creepy and unnerving.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I can't, no. What i can tell you is that it's genuinely creepy and unnerving.
    Did your Granda just keep the car like? Sell it?

Did your Granda just keep the car like? Sell it?

He sold it - and this is REALLY creepy - but the now-owner ran over an urban fox with it the other night.

• Advertisement

Graces7 wrote: »
    re the water diviner; he taught me how to do that and opined that we can all do it. Used a twisted metal coat hanger.

It was the strangest feeling when the rod started moving against my hands. Weird.

During the second war a section was trained in dowsing. They were to identify Japanese machine gun emplacements!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Godeatsboogers

One of my cats went missing a few years ago so I waited till night time to go look for him. More than likely he was in the back garden of a row of houses on the main street that had a graveyard at the back of it. So I went into the graveyard and jumped up on the walls of each back garden calling his name. One of the houses on that main street was boarded up, windows and doors but when I jumped up on the back wall of this particular house the back windows werent boarded up, and there was candlelight shining from each window. Squatters maybe but very unusual, house is still boarded up to this day, no for sale sign, just boarded up

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

One of my cats went missing a few years ago so I waited till night time to go look for him. More than likely he was in the back garden of a row of houses on the main street that had a graveyard at the back of it. So I went into the graveyard and jumped up on the walls of each back garden calling his name. One of the houses on that main street was boarded up, windows and doors but when I jumped up on the back wall of this particular house the back windows werent boarded up, and there was candlelight shining from each window. Squatters maybe but very unusual, house is still boarded up to this day, no for sale sign, just boarded up
    Some Luantic was up on a back wall behind a house I was squatting in one time Screeching ~ ~ Come Home Satan , Come Home Satan , Come Home Satan.

I don’t mind saying it frightened the life out of us. We left in a hurry the next morning. This only works if your Cat was called Satan ! ! ;)

blinding wrote: »
    Some Luantic was up on a back wall behind a house I was squatting in one time Screeching ~ ~ Come Home Satan , Come Home Satan , Come Home Satan.

I don’t mind saying it frightened the life out of us. We left in a hurry the next morning. This only works if your Cat was called Satan ! ! ;)

A big black cat with a long tail and pointy ears, I presume..

A big black cat with a long tail and pointy ears, I presume..
    Ya should have seen his eyes and the filthy tongue on him ~ foul language ;)

And that was just the Cat !;)

During the second war a section was trained in dowsing. They were to identify Japanese machine gun emplacements!
    Eyes or Metal Detectors might have been better. The old plastic machine guns were no good when they got hot !

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Icbaby

My sisters friend ‘can see things’. My sister moved to the middle of nowhere a few years ago and when her friend called a cat come from somewhere and the friend asked her to keep feeding it to keep it around. My sister hates cats and had 2 dogs so wouldn’t agree but before her friend left she told her just leave out some food each day please. Fast forward a few months and my sister is leaving her house for work, when she gets to her gates that happen to be just off a bad bend she realises they are closed, she thought it was strange as her house as I said is in the middle of nowhere so though maybe her husband had closed them the night before (he was still in home). She gets out and opens the gate and when she got back in the car the cat was sitting on the bonnet and wouldn’t move. So she gets back out and just then a driver ploughed through her gates after taking the bend at speed. If the cat had moved she would’ve been where the car hit and probably wouldn’t have survived the impact. Her and her husband call the paramedics etc and when all has calmed down a few hours later she takes out her phone to call my mam and she has a text from her friend (who doesn’t even live in the same county) saying I’m glad your ok and didn’t I tell you it’d be good to feed the cat. When she rang her, she asked how she heard about the accident (and the cat) and she said she didn’t but she had seen it happen in her mind months before so left her the cat. Even stranger is that the cat never came back again! Thankfully everyone was ok. It’s 15 years later and I still wonder about it and whether her friend did really see it because the texts are just to coincidental!

Icbaby wrote: »
    My sisters friend ‘can see things’. My sister moved to the middle of nowhere a few years ago and when her friend called a cat come from somewhere and the friend asked her to keep feeding it to keep it around. My sister hates cats and had 2 dogs so wouldn’t agree but before her friend left she told her just leave out some food each day please. Fast forward a few months and my sister is leaving her house for work, when she gets to her gates that happen to be just off a bad bend she realises they are closed, she thought it was strange as her house as I said is in the middle of nowhere so though maybe her husband had closed them the night before (he was still in home). She gets out and opens the gate and when she got back in the car the cat was sitting on the bonnet and wouldn’t move. So she gets back out and just then a driver ploughed through her gates after taking the bend at speed. If the cat had moved she would’ve been where the car hit and probably wouldn’t have survived the impact. Her and her husband call the paramedics etc and when all has calmed down a few hours later she takes out her phone to call my mam and she has a text from her friend (who doesn’t even live in the same county) saying I’m glad your ok and didn’t I tell you it’d be good to feed the cat. When she rang her, she asked how she heard about the accident (and the cat) and she said she didn’t but she had seen it happen in her mind months before so left her the cat. Even stranger is that the cat never came back again! Thankfully everyone was ok. It’s 15 years later and I still wonder about it and whether her friend did really see it because the texts are just to coincidental!
    That Cat works for an Insurance Company on commission for preventing accidents. Fat Cat Insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Icbaby

That Cat works for an Insurance Company on commission for preventing accidents. Fat Cat Insurance.

Love it ha ha. Now that’s it settled in my head now.

• Advertisement

We had a cat that did that once. Sat up looking in the windscreen even when the car started until we took him off it. Very weird never did it after..

Advertisement