Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anything genuinely creepy or unnerving ever happened to you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭XLR 8

Did she see you ? any kind of salute or anything?

No salute or eye contact. I'm sure she seen me and the kids and the dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Tig98

One night me and a few friends tried to make an Ouija board, we just ripped a page out of a copy and wrote the alphabet in pen. It didn't work so two of us went out the back door to try and burn the page, didn't want the bad juju in the house etc. When we tried lighting it it started to hail huge hailstones the size of coins...

.. because they were coins, that a friend lobbed at us from an upstairs window 😅 we screamed and scattered, we had no clue what happened it was so dark.

For real though, my uncle is a priest and he has a few horror stories of trying to get spirits out of houses. One in particular, the family were woken up at all times of night with banging and rattling on the walls, things breaking in the middle of the night and even burn marks. The parents called him as a last resort not knowing what else to do, and he rightly accused their children of using an Ouija board. He said you could sense a terrible dark presence in the house and they were all terribly unhappy there

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭NCS

When I was about 6 or 7, some of my cousins (older teens) decided to hold a séance in a living room. My parents weren't up for this so took me out for a walk... but after a few minutes I shook them off, sneaked back into the house and went to a slight gap in the sliding double doors to hear what was going on inside.

"Is there anybody there?" my cousin's girlfriend said in appropriately hushed tones.

I left it a moment, then hissed "Yeeesss!"

Uproar ensued.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Tig98 wrote: »
    One night me and a few friends tried to make an Ouija board, we just ripped a page out of a copy and wrote the alphabet in pen. It didn't work so two of us went out the back door to try and burn the page, didn't want the bad juju in the house etc. When we tried lighting it it started to hail huge hailstones the size of coins...

.. because they were coins, that a friend lobbed at us from an upstairs window �� we screamed and scattered, we had no clue what happened it was so dark.

For real though, my uncle is a priest and he has a few horror stories of trying to get spirits out of houses. One in particular, the family were woken up at all times of night with banging and rattling on the walls, things breaking in the middle of the night and even burn marks. The parents called him as a last resort not knowing what else to do, and he rightly accused their children of using an Ouija board. He said you could sense a terrible dark presence in the house and they were all terribly unhappy there

Was your Uncle a trained Exorcist? Only a few left I understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭tamara25

These ouija boards are very dangerous. I had a friend years ago who used it sometimes to try to contact a serial killer that had died. Don’t know if anything unusual happened when they were using it. They are easy to buy also if one wanted to....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,911 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

tamara25 wrote: »
    These ouija boards are very dangerous. I had a friend years ago who used it sometimes to try to contact a serial killer that had died. Don’t know if anything unusual happened when they were using it. They are easy to buy also if one wanted to....

Pffff!!! Hasbro, the toy company, make ouija boards. They’re no more dangerous than any of their other products - like Hungry Hungry Hippos, Operation or Scrabble. How could a sheet of cardboard with the alphabet printed on it be dangerous? You’d be hard pressed to even get a paper cut off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Pffff!!! Hasbro, the toy company, make ouija boards. They’re no more dangerous than any of their other products - like Hungry Hungry Hippos, Operation or Scrabble. How could a sheet of cardboard with the alphabet printed on it be dangerous? You’d be hard pressed to even get a paper cut off it.

They do seem to have an “effect” on people. Whether it’s all in their head, or if it’s supernatural, is up for debate.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Tig98

saabsaab wrote: »
    Was your Uncle a trained Exorcist? Only a few left I understand.

Nah just a "regular" priest, although he's been called a few times in his life to try clear out bad spirits. He said it nearly always involves an Ouija board.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

Didn’t happen to me, but happened to my Dad. When he was 19 (late 50s) he got a job in the Pathology department of the College Of Surgeons. First day, the lads in the department brought him in a tour of the place. They ended up in the cellar, where there was a furnace that heated the building. They had the lights off, so there was just the glow of the furnace flames lighting the place. They sat down on some wooden boxes, and the lads told him a few stories about work and stuff.

After a while, one of them pointed at the box my Dad was sitting on and said “open it”. He stood up and lifted the lid. In the flickering glow of the flames, what he saw was the body of a young child floating face up in a tank of formaldehyde.

Although totally shocked, he managed to keep it together enough that when the lads stopped laughing, they slapped him on the back and said he’d do alright.

Eh wow

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

They do seem to have an “effect” on people. Whether it’s all in their head, or if it’s supernatural, is up for debate.

There's no debate, it's entirely in their head. It's an interesting phenomenon all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,996 ✭✭✭joeguevara

They seem to have an effect on 'friends of aunties' rather than anyone else though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Kingp35 wrote: »
    There's no debate, it's entirely in their head. It's an interesting phenomenon all the same.
    Did you ever try using one before?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

XLR 8 wrote: »
    No salute or eye contact. I'm sure she seen me and the kids and the dog.

Did your children mention seeing her?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭talla10

I did many times. Nothing remotely interesting ever happened just lads laughing and moving the glass ourselves

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

A good few times. I'm into paranormal/mysteries type stuff even though I'm a complete non-believer. I find it fascinating as to why people believe certain things, that's why I love this thread despite not believing any of the paranormal stuff.

The planchette moved on a few different occasions for me. It never spelled out any words though, only when one of my mates was messing. As I posted before, the movement can be explained by the ideomotor effect where the brain subconsciously makes the hand move the planchette.

Also a lot of stories posted on this thread about friends having used a Ouija board. The first question you should always ask is if the incident being described ever happened in the first place, or as described, before you start looking for an explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ande1975

Wouldn't classify this as strange or unnerving but got me thinking when I relayed this to a friend recently.

I don't visit my Dad's grave as much anymore as I find it hard but every now and then the guilt sets in and I take a trip out.

A few weeks ago, I went out in the afternoon. I spent a bit of time there trying to talk to him when I looked to my left and off in the distance I spotted a man who looked exactly like Dad. Dressed in the exact same clothes he would wear. It nearly took my breath away.

This happens quite a bit and anyone who goes through a bereavement can 'see' them regularly in crowds.

I turned back as I didn't want to be staring but I couldn't help myself. I looked again and there was no sign of him..... got a bit of a jolt but he was bent over working on the grave he was visiting. There was also a balloon attached to the grave.
    I noticed he was looking in my direction as well so I stopped staring.

Eventually he left and I went to leave and I walked past the grave he was visiting. It was his daughter (or I assumed it was) . Her anniversary was the day before and there was a photo of her on the grave.

I told a friend this recently and she said he probably thought you were like his daughter from the distance. Same age, hair colour and I was wearing a light white wrap (which the girl was wearing in the photo).

Ande1975 wrote: »
    This happens quite a bit and anyone who goes through a bereavement can 'see' them regularly in crowds.

This just reminded me of something.

2 years ago, my dad got sick and ended up in Beaumont hospital. I travelled across the country to him as soon as I heard. He wasn’t himself, and was acting very weird - visibly ill, confused, but denying he was sick. The next morning, I back went up to see him, and he was gone from the ward. His coat and bag were there, but the nurses didn’t know where he was. He wasn’t answering his phone, and we were all very worried.

Security searched the hospital for him and I said I’d look outside. The amount of people that looked, walked, dressed and sounded exactly like my dad while I was frantically searching for him was unreal. He was wearing beige trousers, a light blue shirt, and this sleeveless kaki jacket he had - and I kept seeing the same clothes everywhere. At one point I just sat on the ground with my head in my hands, because I was just overwhelmed by the amount of false sightings I was having if him.

He eventually answered his phone. Turns out he took the bus into the city centre for lunch, we managed to get him into a cab back to the hospital - he was in terrible shape - and by the next morning he was in critical condition ICU, and so began a 7 month stay in hospital and then over a year in a nursing hone, and rapid descent into dementia that he never recovered from. He never made it back home and died this May.

A couple of weeks ago, I was showing my kids his house on Google Street View. I clicked a coupe of times to navigate down the road, when one of them shouts “there’s Grandad!”. I felt an actual shiver down my spine, but sad no, it couldn’t be. I clicked back, and there he was - pictured walking down his road in the Street View, wearing the exact same beige, blue and kaki clothes he was wearing the day he went missing from the hospital.

Immortalised walking fit and healthy outside his home.

This didn't happen to me, but to a relative, or so she says. She was visiting a friend and they were having coffee out in the garden, and when her friend went in to grab something, a woman in full bridal gear walked down the avenue to the house, and around the back.

My relative thought this woman might be an actress, because it was just across the road from RTE. When her friend came out to the garden she inquired as to the woman in the wedding dress. Her friend told her that this woman had been seen before, that long ago a young woman had lived in the house who was engaged to be married. This lady ran off with another man on the day of her wedding, and when her father found out, he shot her and her lover stone dead.

I always wondered if the whole thing was made up. If anyone knows if a shooting like that ever happened on Nutley Road in Dublin, I'd be keen to know.

Might as well tell the other ones while I'm at it.

She went to see an acupuncturist in Galway, a Chinese doctor, for arthritis. For whatever reason he was showing her around his house, he had lots of Oriental artefacts. He showed her into a room and she got a cold chill and insisted there was something awful in that room. She didn't know what it was but said it smelt like human blood. He walked over and picked up a Japanese ornamental sword, one of the traditional varieties that was used to behead people. Probably just a coincidence but as far as she was concerned, that cemented her status as a certified (or certifiable) psychic.

When she was a child, she looked into a thistle-knot (magic) and had a vision of their house burned to its core, and near the end of her life, the house was gutted in a fire.

These are all superstitions, there are plenty of claims of this kind, but I used to like hearing them as a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ande1975

A couple of weeks ago, I was showing my kids his house on Google Street View. I clicked a coupe of times to navigate down the road, when one of them shouts “there’s Grandad!”. I felt an actual shiver down my spine, but sad no, it couldn’t be. I clicked back, and there he was - pictured walking down his road in the Street View, wearing the exact same beige, blue and kaki clothes he was wearing the day he went missing from the hospital.

That's a thing https://time.com/5762743/google-maps-deceased-family-photos/
    Sorry to hear about your Dad. Save that off in case google decide to update again.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Recliner

A few years ago I was in the back seat of my sisters car, her husband was driving. We were stopped at a roundabout and my sister said only for she knew I was behind her she would have sworn I was in the back seat of the car in front. The person turned around again and I swear it was like looking in a mirror. She was identical to me.

A sister in law of mine apparently had a full blown conversation with me in Limerick. Except it wasn't me. She's convinced to this day that it was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

2 years ago, my dad got sick and ended up in Beaumont hospital. I travelled across the country to him as soon as I heard. He wasn’t himself, and was acting very weird - visibly ill, confused, but denying he was sick. The next morning, I back went up to see him, and he was gone from the ward. His coat and bag were there, but the nurses didn’t know where he was. He wasn’t answering his phone, and we were all very worried.

Security searched the hospital for him and I said I’d look outside. The amount of people that looked, walked, dressed and sounded exactly like my dad while I was frantically searching for him was unreal. He was wearing beige trousers, a light blue shirt, and this sleeveless kaki jacket he had - and I kept seeing the same clothes everywhere. At one point I just sat on the ground with my head in my hands, because I was just overwhelmed by the amount of false sightings I was having if him.

He eventually answered his phone. Turns out he took the bus into the city centre for lunch, we managed to get him into a cab back to the hospital - he was in terrible shape - and by the next morning he was in critical condition ICU, and so began a 7 month stay in hospital and then over a year in a nursing hone, and rapid descent into dementia that he never recovered from. He never made it back home and died this May.

Could it of been your dad on the day he went missing and Google haven get updated it since? It’s nice to have that footage in a way I suppose. My condolences also.

Could it of been your dad on the day he went missing and Google haven get updated it since? It’s nice to have that footage in a way I suppose. My condolences also.

Cheers.

Nah, the GSV pic is May 2018, and his trip from the hospital was July. Just a coincidence he was wearing the same clothes. It is nice to have, I have the picture saved (although Google lets you look back at street view history to see all the old pictures of any given place, which in itself is going to be fascinating in a few decades time).

Is it odd that I've been pictured twice in Google street view that I know of? I know people can get caught once but twice...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Is it odd that I've been pictured twice in Google street view that I know of? I know people can get caught once but twice...

Pic or GTFO!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

I had a dream the other night.About the ghost of my old house.He had followed me here,it really freaked me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

dubstarr wrote: »
    I had a dream the other night.About the ghost of my old house.He had followed me here,it really freaked me out.

The ghost of your old house, as in the ghost who haunted the house or the ghost of the “actual” house, itself?

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

The ghost of your old house, as in the ghost who haunted the house or the ghost of the “actual” house, itself?

It was the actual ghost man himself.
    I haven't thought about it for ages.but up he pips and unsettles me

New Home wrote: »
    Pic or GTFO!! :pac:

If I posted them I'd have to kill you to protect my identity. Do you still want to see them? :D

I'd be a tad scared too if I thought I had a ghost stalking me. Tell us more about him?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Would you mind telling us some things you experienced in the old house?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Maybe it wasn't the house that was haunted... :eek: :eek: :eek:

Advertisement