Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anything genuinely creepy or unnerving ever happened to you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭JoChervil

BTW cats.

My mum once was preparing to go by train to attend her brother funeral. It was later at night and her cat behaved weirdly. She was very agitated and was all the time getting in my mum's way, between her feet etc. My mum even stepped on her tail by accident (we had to go to vet to check it few days later because it was bent badly). So eventually my mum gave up. The cat obviously didn't want her go. She was really very persistent in it. In the morning my mum was taken to the hospital with heart problems. I don't think she would get good help in the middle of nowhere, when on the train...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

saabsaab wrote: »
    We had a cat that did that once. Sat up looking in the windscreen even when the car started until we took him off it. Very weird never did it after..
    Cats See Loss Adjusters ( are they the fellas / wems that settle insurance claims ):)

I haven't had too many things happen to me, but this happened to me when I was about 10 or 12.

There was a small office in my town. It was just a converted terrace house; many of the rooms were converted into office rooms for the people working there (family business). What would have been the living room, was the office of the guy who owned the business. Anyway, my mother used to clean these offices a couple of evenings per week, she used to bring one or two of us with her. We'd always just kind of amble around, or on a good day, we may even help. I always liked the "main office", because it felt kind of "important".

Anyway, this one particular time, my mother was cleaning the offices, and I went into this main office. And for some reason, that particular time, I hated being in there; it just did not feel right. Prickles on my skin, everything felt kind of dreamy or surreal. So I came out and asked my mother "what's wrong with that room, it's not the same". My mother just stopped, looked straight at me, then asked what I meant. I told it just "felt weird". She finished up as quickly as she could, and practically ran out of the place.

Found out a few years later, that the owner of the business had died in that room about two weeks prior. They had just re-opened the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

I was listening to the Radio this morning and they were on about some nursing Home that had a stray Cat but the Cat would lie down in some random room of a patient and a few day's later the person would die... I think this was after happening about 90 times..

Truckermal wrote: »
    I was listening to the Radio this morning and they were on about some nursing Home that had a stray Cat but the Cat would lie down in some random room of a patient and a few day's later the person would die... I think this was after happening about 90 times..

Sounds like an episode of House.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

House got it from somewhere, too, there have been various reports of cats doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,743 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Some say that cats and dogs can tell if someone is very ill, perhaps through smell and will keep them company.

Not Murders Though :eek:

blinding wrote: »
    Not Murders Though :eek:

I guess you could look at it another way! See the episode of 'The Avengers' sixties series 'Hidden Tiger'

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Some say that cats and dogs can tell if someone is very ill, perhaps through smell and will keep them company.
    They are training sniffer dogs to detect cancer and tumours in patients. I forget what country it was but they are proving themselves to be really accurate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭fleabag

Really enjoying this thread and wanted to add a couple of my own:

One midnight I was just about to head to bed when the radio played it's last song for the day. It was 633 Squadron by Ron Goodwin which was my Dad's favourite. The next morning at 7am, I got a call to say he'd died in his sleep and I like to think it was him signing off to me.

I often walk through the fields near me at dusk or in the dark with the dogs. One night I was passing a field when a really bright light flashed from the bottom of the field. I had a torch too and thinking it was hunters lamping, shone it in the direction of the light. I couldn't see anything or hear anything so just carried on. A couple of weeks later I was out in daylight and crossing into the section of the field where the light came from and Stanley, one of my dogs, started growling and looking in the direction where the light had been. I looked and looked but couldn't see anything. I walked across the field with one dog, but Stanley wouldn't cross the field at all. He went all the way back into the previous fields and up onto the lane and caught up with us further in the walk. The field in question has a spring in it and a limestone outcrop with an erratic boulder. I tried it again a couple of days later with the dogs and Stan crossed the field on this occasion with no bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

During the second war a section was trained in dowsing. They were to identify Japanese machine gun emplacements!

That made me shiver... The water diviner told me though that anyone can do it as long as they believe in it. Which makes sense. The builder that time refused to try. Think I will have a go here later - although the proximity of the ocean man\y stymie it?

They are training sniffer dogs to detect cancer and tumours in patients. I forget what country it was but they are proving themselves to be really accurate

They are now training dogs to detect Covid-19.

Some Dogs Train Humans but its not Easy !

Cats are better at Training Humans !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Ah jaysus can you imagine being a poor auld helpless soul lying in your nursing home bed and seeing the cat of death heading for your room "get out da fcuk!"

Ah jaysus can you imagine being a poor auld helpless soul lying in your nursing home bed and seeing the cat of death heading for your room "get out da fcuk!"
    Especially with an Axe in his Paws !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

SOMEONE is knocking on the wall! Over and over again...

Blowing a gale out there and pitch dark … No house within a mile and in the small hours no one goes out. No street lighting out here.

BANG ! BANG! BANG! Howling gale.... rhythmic banging...

And it is this side of my big LOCKED gate....

No use calling as the wind is too loud...

BANG ! BANG! BANG!

So I get up, light on, manage to get the door open with my stick in my hand.... calling out..

OH NO! NOT THAT!

I left a towel on one of the grab rails along the wall and it is banging in the wind against the thin walls of this place! My punishment is having to creep along the wall to retrieve it...

Always pays to investigate !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Graces7 wrote: »
    SOMEONE is knocking on the wall! Over and over again...

Blowing a gale out there and pitch dark … No house within a mile and in the small hours no one goes out. No street lighting out here.

BANG ! BANG! BANG! Howling gale.... rhythmic banging...

And it is this side of my big LOCKED gate....

No use calling as the wind is too loud...

BANG ! BANG! BANG!

So I get up, light on, manage to get the door open with my stick in my hand.... calling out..

OH NO! NOT THAT!

I left a towel on one of the grab rails along the wall and it is banging in the wind against the thin walls of this place! My punishment is having to creep along the wall to retrieve it...

Always pays to investigate !

It's this lad again is it

Brendan-OConnor.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

Not sure if this qualifies as creepy but it was strange and does make me think I have a doppelganger out there who is slightly famous..

About 8 years ago I was hanging around Trafalgar Square with a friend (after a demonstration/rally) and a group of girl scouts or brownies started taking pictures of us.

Eventually, their adult leader came over and asked if I would pose in a photo with them. It all happened so quickly that I didn't even think to ask why..

To this day I have no idea who they thought I was and I wonder where all those photos ended up! :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Butterface wrote: »
    Not sure if this qualifies as creepy but it was strange and does make me think I have a doppelganger out there who is slightly famous..

About 8 years ago I was hanging around Trafalgar Square with a friend (after a demonstration/rally) and a group of girl scouts or brownies started taking pictures of us.

Eventually, their adult leader came over and asked if I would pose in a photo with them. It all happened so quickly that I didn't even think to ask why..

To this day I have no idea who they thought I was and I wonder where all those photos ended up! :confused:

Post your pic up here and we'll let you know!

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Butterface wrote: »

I can't believe it's not Butter(face)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭joeguevara

I freak myself out sometimes. My dad was driving me up to Dublin today and he had his Spotify on. Now mostly 70s folk rock. But then this happened.

I started telling him about the Mandela effect and specifically mentioned Cats in the Cradle and most people think that it’s written by cats Stevens. Now, baring in mind the music playing was nothing to do with this. I also telling him about jaws and ET and the Mandela effect.

Then, fcucking next song was Cats Stevens Father and Son. This is the main reason for Mandela effect with Cats in the Cradle. Anyway we were laughing and he calling me a freak. But then, it gets freaky and I am going to preface this with I hadn’t a fcuking clue about this song.

For no reason I pulled out my phone and showed him a picture of my mate on Facebook. My dad would know him from playing music in my pub. He said ah that’s Eric who played a Paul Brady song, when Brady was in the ajohnstons. I said yeah, And told him he sold out the National concert hall with a Leonard Cohen tribute. Now that was years ago and I had no reason to be even talking about it. And also I had no clue and never knew this next bit.

The next song that played was Paul Brady and Johnston’s singing Leonard Cohen’s ‘hey that’s no way to say goodbye’.

https://youtu.be/L3wpPe4uzHY

It really is freaking me out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Spotify have an algorithm that does that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭joeguevara

s1ippy wrote: »
    Spotify have an algorithm that does that :D

It’s not the algorithm. I get that. It’s the fact that father and son played immediately after I said the Mandela effect about cats in the cradle. Everyone thinks cat Stevens wrote it, but mixed up with father and son. But Paul Brady who was in the Johnston’s singing a Leonard Cohen song (which I didn’t know) after I was talking about my mate, who my dad only knows from singing a Paul Brady song, and me telling him about him doing a Leonard Cohen concert (completely out of the blue and completely unconnected to anything my dad knows of him) and then the Johnston’s came on singing a Leonard Cohen cover, and neither of us knew that they recorded it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 AcidLollyPop

Last week (I live on my own in the country side, in a new built house) I could hear myself, while sleeping, saying "the power of Christ compels you, THE POWER OF CHRIST COMPELS YOU".

Woke myself up.

I cant remember the dream or why I was shouting that. I know the line comes from the Exorcist, but haven't seen that film in years.

Last week (I live on my own in the country side, in a new built house) I could hear myself, while sleeping, saying "the power of Christ compels you, THE POWER OF CHRIST COMPELS YOU".

Woke myself up.

I cant remember the dream or why I was shouting that. I know the line comes from the Exorcist, but haven't seen that film in years.

It may mean that mentally you are taking a big step on your own and establishing mature independence. You now want to tell anyone that you can stand alone and don't want any unwanted interference.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

20 years ago on Father’s Day, 17 June 2000, about 10pm at night we were watching a movie when the phone rang. I still remember answering the phone to a woman crying so uncontrollably that I couldn’t figure out what was wrong, really hysterical to the point where she couldn’t speak.
    Eventually someone near her took the phone to tell me that my mums healthy mid 50s uncle had dropped dead.

A moment that I will never forget and I can still point to the chair I was sitting in that night

• Registered Users Posts: 29 AcidLollyPop

It may mean that mentally you are taking a big step on your own and establishing mature independence. You now want to tell anyone that you can stand alone and don't want any unwanted interference.

Very interesting. Never thought about it that way :)

I didn't give it much thought. Other than it was bizaare.

Yes, lots of changes and an assertion of independence!

• Advertisement

I've heard it said that some people have weird dreams after getting the flu shot. Amyone? It can make the arm sore for a bit alright.

Advertisement