Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia RTX Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Overclockers emailed me to say I'm currently in position 306 for the EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Black

• Registered Users Posts: 27,927 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

cookie1977 wrote: »
    Overclockers emailed me to say I'm currently in position 306 for the EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Black

You might have it next week if you're lucky then?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

TitianGerm wrote: »
    You might have it next week if you're lucky then?
    Well all I was hoping for would be for it to arrive by Christmas so next week would be fab.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

cookie1977 wrote: »

that prompted me to check my email, didn't even know they were notifying buyers of their queue position

Screenshot-1.jpg
    image uploading

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

slade_x wrote: »
    that prompted me to check my email, didn't even know they were notifying buyers of their queue position

Screenshot-1.jpg
    image uploading

If I taught I would get an even decent number in the queue I would order a card, but the thoughts of 900 euro gone from my account and getting the long finger for a few mths just does not sit right with me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    If I taught I would get an even decent number in the queue I would order a card, but the thoughts of 900 euro gone from my account and getting the long finger for a few mths just does not sit right with me.

If I didn't get one when I did and at the original price before the price hike I wouldn't bother pre-ordering until I knew there was sufficient supply to get one in a week or two

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

AdoredTv rating Ampere on "power, price & performance" against previous nvidia gens.

If his figures are right he makes a pretty compelling argument. Shots fired anyway (he really doesn't like nvidia does he? :))

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭Cordell

Compelling argument for what? For not buying a 3080 because... 3090 have a very bad price/performance ratio? Or because 10 years ago Nvidia such and such?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,816 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Mucashinto wrote: »
    AdoredTv rating Ampere on "power, price & performance" against previous nvidia gens.

If his figures are right he makes a pretty compelling argument. Shots fired anyway (he really doesn't like nvidia does he? :))

Hates Nvidia, loves AMD. He was more objective a few years back, but now it's atrocious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,938 ✭✭✭circadian

I think purely on the academics of it he made a good point but I feel that he's ignored the fact that progression will at times be a lot slower.

A lot of the YouTube tech guys don't like nvidia for their pricing and money grabbing which I would tend to agree with. I think that the 3080 at €700 is a decent buy though, much better than €1200 that the 2080ti was at the time. I rally was expecting 3080 to be closer to €1000 and 3090 to be around €1500 so the massive price gap means that you could get a 3080 and know you're not missing out on a whole lot.

I think he hates Intel even more, but even so, all his "facts" are cherry picked and mostly irrelevant.

circadian wrote: »
    I rally was expecting 3080 to be closer to €1000 and 3090 to be around €1500 so the massive price gap means that you could get a 3080 and know you're not missing out on a whole lot.

You're not missing on anything but, ahem, 8K gaming by not getting a 3090. For 4K and below you're only getting a 10-15% lower performance with a 3080.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

Cordell wrote: »
    Compelling argument for what? For not buying a 3080 because... 3090 have a very bad price/performance ratio? Or because 10 years ago Nvidia such and such?

Haha, yeah this is true. Not sure tbh.

He probably argues nvidia's claims about the cards aren't true, by a long way, but that's hardly new for advertising. Digital Foundry won't come out of that well for me though. Seemed to rubber stamp nvidia's statements in the guise of a review. Pretty sure Leadbetter reckoned this could be the biggest architectural leap in 10 years. Adored's saying almost the opposite.

But probably overthinking this, as circadian says above €700 for the 3080 is a long way from some kind of disaster.

Pretty sure Leadbetter reckoned this could be the biggest architectural leap in 10 years
    It's hard to argue either way, but 10 years ago die shrink alone usually brought significant performance leaps, and there there were significant feature leaps. Those days are long gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

slade_x wrote: »
    If I didn't get one when I did and at the original price before the price hike I wouldn't bother pre-ordering until I knew there was sufficient supply to get one in a week or two

My thoughts EXACTLY!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Adored is basing most of his claims based on the 3090 compared to previous flagships as well. I don't buy that. It's not a normal card.

It's far more comparable to previous titans in which case it's relatively great value. There will be a 3080ti at some point. I'm sure there may be a proper titan at some point as well but I don't know how they can push the power or memory of these cards any higher without another node shrink or a different architecture. Maybe using 2gb memory chips they can go up to 48gb of memory without big power costs.

I'm skeptical of Nvidias reasoning for delaying the 3070 launch as well. I think they are waiting to see AMD's performance and pricing before revealing their own pricing on what is usually their best selling xx70/xx60 line. Delaying it until 1 day after AMD's reveal is too suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,927 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

BloodBath wrote: »
    Adored is basing most of his claims based on the 3090 compared to previous flagships as well. I don't buy that. It's not a normal card.

It's far more comparable to previous titans in which case it's relatively great value. There will be a 3080ti at some point. I'm sure there may be a proper titan at some point as well but I don't know how they can push the power or memory of these cards any higher without another node shrink or a different architecture. Maybe using 2gb memory chips they can go up to 48gb of memory.

I'm skeptical of Nvidias reasoning for delaying the 3070 launch as well. I think they are waiting to see AMD's performance and pricing before revealing their own pricing on what is usually their best selling xx70/xx60 line.

The 3070 had it's price announced at £469 already.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

The must feel that the 3070 will stack up well when compared to AMD - otherwise they'd be rushing it out to have the sales secured before the AMD launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

TitianGerm wrote: »
    The 3070 had it's price announced at £469 already.

Ah right, I missed that. Could well have price drops on hand if AMD are competitive though.

AMD need to pull their finger out on the software support side as well. Outside of gaming there's still a lot of software than can make use of cuda and even the new RT and tensor cores to speed up workflows. Plenty of which don't have any or poor AMD card support.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,629 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

The must feel that the 3070 will stack up well when compared to AMD - otherwise they'd be rushing it out to have the sales secured before the AMD launch.

Depends. They've shown with the 3080 and 3090 that rushing it out doesn't secure them sales, because they couldn't meet any reasonable demand even remotely.

If they went the same route with the 3070 where there was yet another shítstorm of a release with minimal stock, I could see an awful lot of people getting truly pissed at Nvidia and just waiting until November for the AMD launch, particularly if the specs are decent.

It was (and still is) a sh!tshow alright.

Phantom launch!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

So Jim from Adored is now claiming Hardware Unboxed are paid-for Nvidia shills. The absolute drama.

https://twitter.com/HardwareUnboxed/status/1312385403417104384?s=20

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    So Jim from Adored is now claiming Hardware Unboxed are paid-for Nvidia shills. The absolute drama.

https://twitter.com/HardwareUnboxed/status/1312385403417104384?s=20

Tweet now unavailable!

Have always thought the Unboxed guys were great!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

cheaping out on the capacitors used in their third-party RTX 3080s.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/9/29/21493946/nvidia-rtx-3080-capacitors-crashing-issues

https://www.theverge.com/2020/9/29/21493946/nvidia-rtx-3080-capacitors-crashing-issues

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

FINALLY!

Managed to snag a 3080, and one of the more premium cards that I would have preferred too.

Had some gift cards on Amazon.co.uk to use too, so offset the balance a bit.

Delighted :D

TQlgZec.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    FINALLY!

Managed to snag a 3080, and one of the more premium cards that I would have preferred too.

Had some gift cards on Amazon.co.uk to use too, so offset the balance a bit.

Delighted :D

TQlgZec.jpg

You are not loved :(

That is all, *slides down corner wall of room in tears

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

You are not loved :(

That is all, *slides down corner wall of room in tears

LOL!

Are you failing to get one too?

This is what I used to help me get mine. https://github.com/Hari-Nagarajan/nvidia-bot

Advertisement