Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia RTX Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

I had a Ryzen 1500x for a while and was very happy with it for price/performance but I was doing some stuff on Android Studio/emulator and when I went back to it after a while it didn't run anymore. Quick google showed I'd have to downgrade the driver at the time to get it working(something with the virtualisation).

Maybe not a big deal to most people, and might have gotten fixed, but I don't know. When it was time to upgrade and I found my mobo wouldn't take a 3xxx series CPU anyway I switched to Intel. Was happy to pay a premium not to have these issues/other possible issues like this.

Not sure if these kind of things are less common now though I remember some leaked email where an Intel employee was pointing out that their driver division had more employees than AMD's whole CPU division. Hard to compete with that I imagine.

So I suppose these kind of things also is why some people could be "team blue". For the next gen I'm completely open-minded though, AMD don't seem to have put a foot wrong in the CPU space lately.

EDIT: Back to Nvidia - *new hot take* The 3060 is going to be the champion card of the stack! 85% of the 3070 (which would put it around the 2080?) with the same RAM. Tailor made for me :D

Or else it's some 6gb DDR5 piece of overpriced junk :mad:

Back to the waiting game :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Issues with some AIB cards cutting corners on power delivery capacitors causing crashing when boosting.

https://www.igorslab.de/en/what-real-what-can-be-investigative-within-the-crashes-and-instabilities-of-the-force-rtx-3080-andrtx-3090/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Inquitus wrote: »
    Issues with some AIB cards cutting corners on power delivery capacitors causing crashing when boosting.

Pretty sure the other caps are cheaper but more prone to issues over time. I think this is down to Nvidias spec sheet. AIB'S had no chance to properly test in time and simply followed nvidias principal design and spec.

Thor wrote: »
    Pretty sure the other caps are cheaper but more prone to issues over time. I think this is down to Nvidias spec sheet. AIB'S had no chance to properly test in time and simply followed nvidias principal design and spec.

All Nvidias FE editions have the more expensive MLCC Capacitors. Anyways the solution here is just to downclock the max boost available on the cards with the cheaper capacitors, they will still exceed the stated speeds anyways, it's just you wouldn't want to buy one now with the power of hindsight, you'd want an AIB or FE with the better components.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

All Nvidias FE editions have the more expensive MLCC Capacitors. Anyways the solution here is just to downclock the max boost available on the cards with the cheaper capacitors, they will still exceed the stated speeds anyways, it's just you wouldn't want to buy one now with the power of hindsight, you'd want an AIB or FE with the better components.

Nvidia doing more for FE doesn't negate the fact that they have final say on any design from AIB. Ultimately they okay'd it and didn't see any issues.

That being said. We are seeing the same issue on multiple layouts. With 5 and 1 and some with even 6 sp's not showing the issue as much as others. So I think we are just getting into this and other issues are at play. I think bios updates might be coming soon, if not to limiting clocking on the OC cards, but even then that is begging for trouble.

Thanks for that, pretty much confirms everything Igorslab discovered is true, fair play to eVGA for identifying it and fixing it before retail shipments.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Thanks for that, pretty much confirms everything Igorslab discovered is true, fair play to eVGA for identifying it and fixing it before retail shipments.

There are a lot of AIB early adopters who are going to have a firmware lock imposed on their cards to disable boost clock to prevent crashing. I wouldn't be impressed after dropping a serious wad of cash on one. They better be accepting RMA's.

The manner in which Nvidia have approached this whole launch is questionable. We have AIB's making it perfectly clear that they were unable to properly test the cards due to Nvidia's tight schedule in providing the technical specifications and the fact that no test drivers were made available by Nvidia. It's highly irregular compared to previous launches. Very shoddy, seems to be a paper launch too given the stock issues. Suggests Nvidia are desperate to get out ahead of Big Navi.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

There are a lot of AIB early adopters who are going to have a firmware lock imposed on their cards to disable boost clock to prevent crashing. I wouldn't be impressed after dropping a serious wad of cash on one. They better be accepting RMA's.

Anyone who bought them off snipers on eBay will have no comeback and will have to accept the firmware upgrade/downgrade .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

If any good comes out of it it will be that the scalpers might not find as many customers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭JoyPad

bobbyy gee wrote: »

Where do you see 3090 crashes?
    Can you stop with the HWFO, please?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Clickbait bobby back at it again unfortunately.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Um, kinda misleading... That article only gave a hypothesis as to why a small number of heavily stock-overclocked non-reference 3080s are having stability issues when used at high clocks for long periods. Nothing about reference 3080s or stock-clocked 3080s or any 3090s at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

palit anyone?

oos but can be ordered direct from amazon.fr..

https://www.amazon.fr/Palit-Graphique-GamingPro-DisplayPort-Advanced/dp/B08JCKYYL8/?ref_=d6k_applink_bb_marketplace&th=1&psc=1

didnt last long, was around 835e

• Registered Users Posts: 27,820 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

BArra wrote: »

Says currently unavailable

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

Yeah, it seems like a real thing. Too little time for proper testing with Nvidia's aggressive release schedule.

Solitaire wrote: »
    Um, kinda misleading... That article only gave a hypothesis as to why a small number of heavily stock-overclocked non-reference 3080s are having stability issues when used at high clocks for long periods. Nothing about reference 3080s or stock-clocked 3080s or any 3090s at all.
    try here
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/Low-quality-capacitors-could-be-the-cause-of-Nvidia-GeForce-RTX-3080-crashes.495995.0.html

• Advertisement

That too has no mention of 3090.
    Which is not surprising, considering that not many would have been purchased and delivered already, let alone tested, etc.

Also, if you read the comments on that last article, someone says he has an ASUS TUF with the good capacitors, and still crashes.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Bungusbeefcake

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Realistically, any educated guesses as to when a 3080ti or 3080 super launches.....would it be out before year end?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Realistically, any educated guesses as to when a 3080ti or 3080 super launches.....would it be out before year end?

Vaporware this year I think, how many actual 3080's are in the wild so far?

Duh! He forgot to plug the power cables!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Would be surprised if it wasn't closer to next summer for super/ti variants. Certainly wouldn't be holding my breath for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

So... since I can't get a 3080 right now and I'm not willing to pay the extra $$$ for 10% or so extra FPS on a 3090 - I picked up a 2080ti second hand for €500 to tie me over.

Happy enough with that for now, espicially given the issues with the 3080.

If I saw an EVGA 3080 for sale - I'd be tempted though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,701 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Wonda-Boy wrote: »

It will be to counter AMD's RX 6000 series, which are due in late October/early November.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Just cancelled my 3090. Going to hold off and wait a while to see what else launches.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Nedved85 wrote: »
    So... since I can't get a 3080 right now and I'm not willing to pay the extra $$$ for 10% or so extra FPS on a 3090 - I picked up a 2080ti second hand for €500 to tie me over.

Happy enough with that for now, espicially given the issues with the 3080.

If I saw an EVGA 3080 for sale - I'd be tempted though :)

Where did you pick it up adverts?

Advertisement