Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia RTX Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Where did you pick it up adverts?

Yup, reputable seller wanted a quick sale. Reputable buyer picked it up :)

I think they are selling closer to 700 there ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Nedved85 wrote: »
    Yup, reputable seller wanted a quick sale. Reputable buyer picked it up :)

I think they are selling closer to 700 there ..

Yeah I'm half thinking this route myself, cause let's face it the 2080ti is currently the 3rd most powerful card overall in the line up and will probably stay that until the 3080ti/super and the 3070 ti/super make it what the 5th, so if it can be had at a decent price below the 3080 FE say around 600 euro or less then it's a decent deal.

Let's face it the standard 3070 will be at best only better in select titles from a ray tracing point of view as per nvidias marketing spiel so unless you get an FE you will be paying 600+ for one due to all the "reputable" retailers bumping prices due to demand or what ever the excuse is.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

It will be lower when AMD release their line up as well but it's still a good buy for €500. Better than a 3070 I would say.

I have a feeling AMD are going to have a €500 card that blows it out of the water though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭Homelander

My big problem with that is that you're buying a 2nd hand card with no warranty. Some sellers will say "still has two years left with the manufacturer" or whatever, but that's a huge pain if it comes to that.

You have to trust that the seller will fully accommodate an RMA, supply the details, and then will hand over the repaired/new card once it's returned.

I just wouldn't be into it at all. I've no problem buying 2nd hand cards at lower prices, but no way I would be dropping €500-600 on one with no effective warranty.

I personally don't care that much about the ray tracing aspect, but I would much prefer just wait to get a brand new card with bulletproof warranty at this point for the same price, even if it means waiting a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Homelander wrote: »
    My big problem with that is that you're buying a 2nd hand card with no warranty. Some sellers will say "still has two years left with the manufacturer" or whatever, but that's a huge pain if it comes to that.

You have to trust that the seller will fully accommodate an RMA, supply the details, and then will hand over the repaired/new card once it's returned.

I just wouldn't be into it at all. I've no problem buying 2nd hand cards at lower prices, but no way I would be dropping €500-600 on one with no effective warranty.

I personally don't care that much about the ray tracing aspect, but I would much prefer just wait to get a brand new card with bulletproof warranty at this point for the same price, even if it means waiting a few months.

If you find a reputable seller, you should be ok I'd say...

I do get what you are saying though.

In my case, the card was fully boxed, immaculate condition , invoice included.

Seller was sound and you can tell a lot by their reputation and past items they've sold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Bungusbeefcake

For those of you thinking of an AIB board, Scan.co.uk will be getting in stick between tomorrow and Friday:

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭eigenboggle

For those of you thinking of an AIB board, Scan.co.uk will be getting in stick between tomorrow and Friday:

I think this is just stock to fulfill the preorders they have already taken.

At least I hope so anyway, I bought at launch and haven't heard anything after they emailed to say expect it on the 21/09

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Would not buy it from them to be honest. Id rather wait......

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭vlad2009

Is it even worth getting anything other than the FE version with all the issues I'm hearing about?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

vlad2009 wrote: »
    Is it even worth getting anything other than the FE version with all the issues I'm hearing about?

EVGA reckon theyve cracked it but the ASUS TUF gaming has six sets of the better caps and is reportedly crashing so I'd wait until the dust settles personally. That said given stock levels you might not have a choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭vlad2009

I see.

I was planning on building a new rig over the next couple of months and would have loved to get a 3080 in there, but it seems unlikely now. Going to wait for the new AMD cpus/gpus to get announced and see if anything changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭JoyPad

EVGA reckon theyve cracked it but the ASUS TUF gaming has six sets of the better caps and is reportedly crashing so I'd wait until the dust settles personally. That said given stock levels you might not have a choice.

Did I read somewhere that Nvidia are sending some updated drivers?

In my book, Nvidia are the main culprit here, with their insane launch constraints. AIBs didn't have access to drivers for testing until very late?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

JoyPad wrote: »
    Did I read somewhere that Nvidia are sending some updated drivers?

In my book, Nvidia are the main culprit here, with their insane launch constraints. AIBs didn't have access to drivers for testing until very late?

Rumour is the firmware will be updated to lower boost clocks.

Rumour is the firmware will be updated to lower boost clocks.

They have already released the drivers, and yes they have lowered the boost clocks by 20-30 MHz at least, or so I read.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

They have already released the drivers, and yes they have lowered the boost clocks by 20-30 MHz at least, or so I read.

I checked a good few of the crashing cards and none of them guarantee 2k+ of boost, so I would say there is little to no come back for the AIB's here. New firmware fixes it, card delivers on specs, case closed.

Inquitus wrote: »
    I checked a good few of the crashing cards and none of them guarantee 2k+ of boost, so I would say there is little to no come back for the AIB's here. New firmware fixes it, card delivers on specs, case closed.

Yep, exactly. The card is advertised at 1,710MHz, that's really all they're legally obliged to provide.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Cordell

I won't have any issue whatsoever with such a small boost limit decrease, but I will have an issue having a card running that close to its limit. They may be fine for a couple of months, but after that some may degrade and require a new boost reduction.
    That is, if only I had one :)

Cordell wrote: »
    I won't have any issue whatsoever with such a small boost limit decrease, but I will have an issue having a card running that close to its limit. They may be fine for a couple of months, but after that some may degrade and require a new boost reduction.
    That is, if only I had one :)

Maybe we can apply a more drastic decrease of the boost clock on Day 1, and save ourselves some disappointment in the months to come.

JoyPad wrote: »
    Maybe we can apply a more drastic decrease of the boost clock on Day 1, and save ourselves some disappointment in the months to come.

A lot of people seem to be using MSI Afterburner and undervolting as well which should alleviate the issue.....bit of a pain though

Undervolting should not be required, normally it makes it less stable but cooler, and they don't have a temperature issue, but it may work because as a side effect it will reduce the boost also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

Weirdly, despite being one of the cheapest cards, the Zotac Trinity has zero issues becuase Zotac saw the problem last minute and the cards shipped with a bios that mitigates the issue.

Weirdly, despite being one of the cheapest cards, the Zotac Trinity has zero issues becuase Zotac saw the problem last minute and the cards shipped with a bios that mitigates the issue.

527806.png

Id say be the time I actually get a 30 series everything now and in the near future will be sorted!

Cordell wrote: »
    Undervolting should not be required, normally it makes it less stable but cooler, and they don't have a temperature issue, but it may work because as a side effect it will reduce the boost also.

https://wccftech.com/undervolting-ampere-geforce-rtx-3080-hidden-efficiency-potential/

Yes, it's exactly what I was saying, it's undervolting and reducing boost, the card tweaked like this will boost 50MHz lower than stock. This is for gaining efficiency while sacrificing performance which honestly no one really wants :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

The founders cards used always be a limited run and I was never that interested in them because of the blower style.

This new style FE is something that I'm really considering but I had always planned on a "christmas present" rather than F5ing the arse out of my keyboard in mid-October.

Has anyone seen confirmation that this FE won't be a limited edition like previous models?

Edit: I realise that stock may be non-existent until the new year - I have no problem with this. I'm just afraid of no new FE ones being made after X month.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

The founders cards used always be a limited run and I was never that interested in them because of the blower style.

This new style FE is something that I'm really considering but I had always planned on a "christmas present" rather than F5ing the arse out of my keyboard in mid-October.

Has anyone seen confirmation that this FE won't be a limited edition like previous models?

Edit: I realise that stock may be non-existent until the new year - I have no problem with this. I'm just afraid of no new FE ones being made after X month.

The 20 series founders cards weren't blower style but were fairly limited also. It'll likely be the same thing here, Nvidia would rather just sell the boards to AIB partners to keep producing as opposed to constantly producing full cards themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

I skipped the 20 series!

Moving up from a 1070.

An AIB wouldn't be the end of the world but I'm liking all I see in this FE.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Personally was thinking founders aswell but thermals are not as good as some of the similar priced aib cards,the TUF is probably what I'll get stock permitting.

• Advertisement

I would love an FE it has a lovely timeless look about it, but my god the connector arrangement is so bad. The way things are going I will have to pay the extra ASUS money for one of their cards, seem to be made the best.

Advertisement