Advertisement
Boards Golf Society are looking for new members for 2022...read about the society and their planned outings here!
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards

N86 - Tralee to Dingle [advance works ongoing for Phase 3]

145679

Comments



  • I think they should spend their money re-establishing the rail line :pac:

    In all seriousness, if there is a protected cycle path along there, it will only help motorists as they wont have to be driving slowly behind and waiting for an opportunity to overtake




  • Mc Love wrote: »
    I think they should spend their money re-establishing the rail line :pac:

    In all seriousness, if there is a protected cycle path along there, it will only help motorists as they wont have to be driving slowly behind and waiting for an opportunity to overtake
    Problem with these shared walking/cycling paths is they don't suit some cyclists who will then continue to use the road. IMO a much better solution is to have a shared walking/cycling path on just one side of the road (like on the Tralee Bypass but wider) whilst also having hard shoulders of reasonable width too.

    But the powers that be know better...




  • I was in Dingle last week. The sooner the upgrade to surface in Annascaul village gets done the better. Its shocking. Gleann na nGealt is a dream to drive but between the old fish farm on the lispole straight and the turn up to the high road into Dingle is fairly poor and bumpy...as you leave Dingle towards lispole...around 200 metres before Vincent Henahans Garage..any car would be close to getting airborn doing 100 kmph with the series of bumps there. I know there's no tour busses heading west compared to other years but surely kC Council could have done some
    Necessary upgrades during Covid quiet traffic




  • Some initial work has started on the Ballinclare section: there seems to be some earth removal on the right hand side as you drive to Dingle - Raidio Na G says it's to see if an archeological survey is required? I thought all schemes had that included as standard; there's a small site yard just on the left past Ballinclare graveyard - it's a dangerous spot as traffic tends to speed up as they leave the bends coming from Dingle; there's some small activity at the old site yard at the Garrynadur scheme too. R na G said they had been told (Cllr Seamus Fitzgerald) that the scheme will commence as expected in 2021 and extends to the eastern side of Annascaul village.




  • lottpaul wrote: »
    Some initial work has started on the Ballinclare section: there seems to be some earth removal on the right hand side as you drive to Dingle - Raidio Na G says it's to see if an archeological survey is required? I thought all schemes had that included as standard; there's a small site yard just on the left past Ballinclare graveyard - it's a dangerous spot as traffic tends to speed up as they leave the bends coming from Dingle; there's some small activity at the old site yard at the Garrynadur scheme too. R na G said they had been told (Cllr Seamus Fiyzgerald) that the scheme will commence as expected in 2021 and extends to the eastern side of Annascaul village.

    The western side, surely? Unless they're going to bypass Anascaul.... :-P


  • Advertisement


  • The western side, surely? Unless they're going to bypass Anascaul.... :-P
    I know :) but they definitely said the eastern side - I think they were talking about the repaving of the main street.

    Will be great fun if they discover some unique ruins in the archeological survey - and being west Kerry the place is littered with them. We'll wait and see :)




  • Eastern side of Annascaul is correct - the pavement through the village is being done too.




  • marno21 wrote: »
    Eastern side of Annascaul is correct - the pavement through the village is being done too.

    My apologies, that's great news. My camper shakes itself to bits every time I drive through there.




  • 2021 is very late, the whole scheme Dingle-Tralee was meant to be complete in 2021 according to the original plan.




  • spacetweek wrote: »
    2021 is very late, the whole scheme Dingle-Tralee was meant to be complete in 2021 according to the original plan.
    Where did you get 2021 from?

    It's been clear for years to me, as a very close follower of this scheme, that it'll be a long time before this finishes up. I have a small hope that a Green Transport Minister may accelerate parts of it due to the cycling component.

    Here's where we stand now:

    Completed:
    b. Lispole to Ballynasare Lower (2.7km) [completed in 2018]
    d. Annascaul to Gortbreagoge (4.2km) [completed in 2012]
    g. Ballygarret to Camp (1.1km) [completed in 2018]

    Construction in 2021:
    c. Ballynasare Lower to Annascaul (4.7km)
    f. Doonore North to Ballygarret (2.3km)

    Planned:
    a. Dingle to Lispole (10.7km)
    e. Gortbreagoge to Dooneen North (7.3km)
    h. Camp Upper to Camp Lower (1.3km)

    The schemes then line up as above from a. at Dingle to h. near the R560 junction at Camp. The villages of Annascaul and Lispole will not be bypassed. The schemes in total comprise 28km of roadway.

    By 2023, we will have 15km complete with 19km left to complete. The 4.2km section completed in 2012 was not part of the major N86 Tralee-Dingle scheme and completed separately but is included here for reference.

    The one plus is that the most challenging sections of the route from an engineering perspective will be complete by 2023. Most of what's left is the cheapest parts on a per kilometre basis.


  • Advertisement


  • You'd think the Dingle to Lispole even though the longest would be the cheapest to do? They have a good bit outside Ballintaggart lined up for widening/straightening for the past odd 7 years




  • marno21 wrote: »
    Where did you get 2021 from?

    It's been clear for years to me, as a very close follower of this scheme, that it'll be a long time before this finishes up. I have a small hope that a Green Transport Minister may accelerate parts of it due to the cycling component.

    Here's where we stand now:

    Completed:
    b. Lispole to Ballynasare Lower (2.7km) [completed in 2018]
    d. Annascaul to Gortbreagoge (4.2km) [completed in 2012]
    g. Ballygarret to Camp (1.1km) [completed in 2018]

    Construction in 2021:
    c. Ballynasare Lower to Annascaul (4.7km)
    f. Doonore North to Ballygarret (2.3km)

    Planned:
    a. Dingle to Lispole (10.7km)
    e. Gortbreagoge to Dooneen North (7.3km)
    h. Camp Upper to Camp Lower (1.3km)

    The schemes then line up as above from a. at Dingle to h. near the R560 junction at Camp. The villages of Annascaul and Lispole will not be bypassed. The schemes in total comprise 28km of roadway.

    By 2023, we will have 15km complete with 19km left to complete. The 4.2km section completed in 2012 was not part of the major N86 Tralee-Dingle scheme and completed separately but is included here for reference.

    The one plus is that the most challenging sections of the route from an engineering perspective will be complete by 2023. Most of what's left is the cheapest parts on a per kilometre basis.

    Do you have any sources for outline route maps overlayed on the existing road?




  • Reuben1210 wrote: »
    Do you have any sources for outline route maps overlayed on the existing road?

    It does say 2021 on Spacetweek's Irishmotorwayinfo.com




  • It does say 2021 on Spacetweek's Irishmotorwayinfo.com

    ok. I'm just wondering if there is any outline routes to view out of curiosity..




  • marno21 wrote: »
    Where did you get 2021 from?
    I no longer have that noted anywhere, but I believe when the scheme began serious work in 2016 it was stated that it would be complete by 2021.




  • https://www.radiokerry.ie/tender-documents-major-kerry-road-upgrade-due-year-end/

    * Project will go to tender before end of 2020
    * €1.4m allocation for 2020 was used to finance land acquisition
    * Advance works & ground investigations coming to a conclusion




  • Why not a 2x2 road anyone know.

    I see Turlough to Westport is 2x2




  • Paddico wrote: »
    Why not a 2x2 road anyone know.

    I see Turlough to Westport is 2x2

    Wesport to Turlough is a National Primary, whereas the N86 is a National Secondary route, and a tourist one at that, so traffic levels only justify single carriageway.

    Pedestrians and cyclist will benefit greatly, too, as the new road is a Type 3 Single Carriageway, with seperate cyclepaths/footpaths.




  • Great video by Pat Duffy of the site of the archeological works on the Ballinclare to Baile na Saor section. It's only when you see it from above that you get a good idea of how much of an improvement the new section will be. (It's speeded up a bit - just in case anyone thinks that's how we drive back here!)
    From the beginning to about 1.28 is looking west to Lispole, then from there to the end is looking back east towards Annascaul.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMum-XBgcDE




  • Great video indeed! I actually love driving this road, those hairpins add great character to the route, but obviously from a safety point of view they've got to go.
    The deep ravine at 2.08 in the video, is the new road going straight across it? Serious amount of fill required if so!


  • Advertisement


  • Kevwoody wrote: »
    Great video indeed! I actually love driving this road, those hairpins add great character to the route, but obviously from a safety point of view they've got to go.
    The deep ravine at 2.08 in the video, is the new road going straight across it? Serious amount of fill required if so!


    I'd presume so. I'm not sure though whether it's a direct straight line or whether it will curve inwards a bit and avoid the deepest part of the drop. It's also on a very steep climb so that may be a factor in the design too.




  • Any word locally on what the hold up is here?

    Given the cycleway element I would have thought this would sail ahead but it doesn't seem to be moving at all.




  • Don't have any info I'm afraid. Am not over east too often but had to go to Annascaul today and saw several (4 or 5) cars parked in the site yard on the eastern side but no activity at all, bar one guy on his hands and knees with what my passenger declared to be a trowel - I couldn't honestly tell you: it's a busy corner and not one to linger on! There was one machine parked up at the western end of things and it didn't seem to have moved for a while.
    Clearly there are people on site but there's no sign of any construction work or the machinery needed to do it at all.
    Have heard no mention at all on R na G either so will ask around in the next few days to see if anyone has heard what's going on - or not, as seems to be the case.




  • Looks like there was a holdup with archaelogical work during the lockdown in early 2021 according to the Council here: http://docstore.kerrycoco.ie/KCCWebsite/meetings/castle/minutes/mar21.pdf

    At a guess that would mean a tender issue in Q3 2021 unless some other speed bump has been hit. The advance works is very visible along the N86 between the end of the recently complete Ballynasare section and Annascaul village now.





  • I noticed today that the temporary car park and container-type offices etc have been removed from the eastern end of Annalack bends (first acute bend coming from Dingle) and the area levelled. There's no sign of anything at the previous site on the western side either. It's now all clear and ready for work by machines, whenever that may happen.





  • Well, better get down there with the camera!

    Me: (remembers I live in Westmeath with no reliable transportation)

    Bugger.





  • I've had a brilliant idea not related to my post above.

    I have a few pictures of strip maps I hand drew in a notebook. One of them had a scheme for the M21.

    Coupled with the N86 works, if they do an M21 extension to Tralee that would be great for Kerry.

    I've even though of a really bureaucratic name for it: the Strategic Southwest Motorway Plan(SSWMP).

    Part 1(M20 extension, needed to make M21)

    Part 2(the M21 itself)






  • Great idea, but I believe the best we'll get on the N21 beyond Rathkeale will be Type 2 Dual.


    Love the name of it, by the way


    😀



  • Advertisement


    1. Type 2 dual is fine by me! Anything to bypass all the towns mentioned in the map!
    2. Thanks!


Advertisement