Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

N86 - Tralee to Dingle [advance works ongoing for Phase 3]

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Great to see this finally open - they have made a fantastic job of it. I was expecting it to be more steep but it really is a great engineering job on what was a shocking stretch of national road.

Roll on the next 2 sections

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Completely agree marno! It's a fantastic job they did on it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Tender issued for resurfacing of the stretch west of Camp that's an embarrassment at the minute

https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase.asp?PID=136041

Not sure what this means for the planned realignment along here. Perhaps the resurfacing can't wait.

Thank the lord - that stretch is brutal, have to slow down to about 40-50 km/h as its terrible bad.

New N86 alignment at Banogue now live on Google Maps. As you can see it's quite an improvement

465140.JPG

I had submitted a request to have it changed :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

The official opening of the 2 upgraded sections of the N86 will take place next Tuesday - according to Raidio Na G - at 12.30pm

Present will be Minister Brendan Griffin, councillor Norma Foley - chair Kerry County Council and other local councillors etc etc. It sounds as if there are 2 separate events - there's definitely a stone wrapped in plastic just outside O'Sullivans bar in Garry - but I'm not sure if there's one over in Camp.

The ceremony has been postponed before but presume it'll go ahead this time - and won't require the closing of the road itself I hope.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

lottpaul wrote: »
    The official opening of the 2 upgraded sections of the N86 will take place next Tuesday - according to Raidio Na G - at 12.30pm

Present will be Minister Brendan Griffin, councillor Norma Foley - chair Kerry County Council and other local councillors etc etc. It sounds as if there are 2 separate events - there's definitely a stone wrapped in plastic just outside O'Sullivans bar in Garry - but I'm not sure if there's one over in Camp.
    I don't see any road changes at Camp? Where is it exactly?

spacetweek wrote: »
    I don't see any road changes at Camp? Where is it exactly?

It's just west of Camp, the road was widened there but it follows the existing alignment pretty much +-50 metres or so

• Advertisement

The ceremony has been postponed before but presume it'll go ahead this time - and won't require the closing of the road itself I hope.
    Officially opened today as per your post - https://www.radiokerry.ie/e8-million-euro-road-improvement-scheme-officially-opened-west-kerry/

Was over at it today. Nice little ceremony - councillors, clergy, school children and some locals. Weather was lovely and the speeches not too long. Great to have it done and it has much improved safety on that stretch of the N86. Look forward to the next phase.

The street lights at Kates Cross will be switched on next Friday after Shane Ross signs some forms with the ESB, or something like that..... though the part about Shane Ross may just have been a rumour ....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

So what is the next phase then?

So what is the next phase then?
    Ballynasare-Annascaul & Doonore South-Ballygarret.

Or for people not from the area, the first part is the remainder of the section between Lispole and Annascaul (the first half of this was done this year, the remainder is 4.7km east of this) and the other part is continuing the 1.1km improvement starting at Camp westwards by another 3.3km.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Paddico

Does this include the mini bypass in dingle town itself?

Paddico wrote: »
    Does this include the mini bypass in dingle town itself?
    Nope that's a separate project (Dingle Relief Road Phase IV) being progressed by Kerry County Council independent of the N86 upgrade.

• Advertisement

marno21 wrote: »
    Nope that's a separate project (Dingle Relief Road Phase IV) being progressed by Kerry County Council independent of the N86 upgrade.

That should be nearly complete right? Havent been down since the food fest but it looked like it was well on its way for completion

Mc Love wrote: »
    That should be nearly complete right? Havent been down since the food fest but it looked like it was well on its way for completion

It has progressed very well but the official open date is sometime near Easter next year I think. I'm still puzzled about how it will tie in to Goat St. at the western end of the road - lights, a roundabout or just a straightforward junction? same for the junction with the Spa road. If there's anything more than a Stop sign or two then there would be a lot of extra work to be done.

TBH I'm not sure if this section is going to speed things up a lot but it will provide an alternative to the Tracks Road, something that was desperately needed a few days back when there was flooding near Milltown Bridge and traffic was diverted into the town itself.

There's several junctions on it too- including one for the secondary school and a new housing development. And I presume there will have to be a pedestrian crossing for the school too? I'd imagine works like that will make the time from now until April.

Tender issued by Kerry County Council for consultants for Phases 5-7 (advance works, construction, handover) of the Ballynasare Lower-Annascaul & Ballygarret-Doonore South sections. That's a further 8km of this scheme which should start within the next 12-18 months.

https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase_frameset.asp?PID=141269&B=ETENDERS_SIMPLE&PS=1&PP=ctm/Supplier/publictenders

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

Tender issued by Kerry County Council for consultants for Phases 5-7 (advance works, construction, handover) of the Ballynasare Lower-Annascaul & Ballygarret-Camp sections. That's a further 8km of this scheme which should start within the next 12-18 months.

Any maps of the planned route for these sections?

Tender issued by Kerry County Council for consultants for Phases 5-7 (advance works, construction, handover) of the Ballynasare Lower-Annascaul & Ballygarret-Camp sections. That's a further 8km of this scheme which should start within the next 12-18 months.

https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase_frameset.asp?PID=141269&B=ETENDERS_SIMPLE&PS=1&PP=ctm/Supplier/publictenders

Bet you, they'll start in the summer, the Ballygarret-Camp section is just terrible!

• Advertisement

Good news:

Works will commence on road surface improvements on the N86 Tralee to Dingle road between Camp and Annascaul on Thursday, 28 February 2019. The resurfacing works will take place between Doonore North and Slieve East and will last for approximately six weeks.

A one-lane, one-way traffic system will be in place from approximately 3km west of Camp village and minor delays can be expected. A speed limit of 60kmh will be in place at the location of the works.

Good news:

Works will commence on road surface improvements on the N86 Tralee to Dingle road between Camp and Annascaul on Thursday, 28 February 2019. The resurfacing works will take place between Doonore North and Slieve East and will last for approximately six weeks.

A one-lane, one-way traffic system will be in place from approximately 3km west of Camp village and minor delays can be expected. A speed limit of 60kmh will be in place at the location of the works.
    These will be fairly minor improvements given they plan to dig that road up in the next few years.

Road surface is pretty brutal too though

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Rojomur

About bloody time🙄🙄. Its shockin bad at the moment....

Tenders out for archaelogical services for the N86 Ballygarret to Donore South and Ballynasare to Annascaul realignments

https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase_frameset.asp?PID=150544&B=ETENDERS_SIMPLE&PS=1&PP=ctm/Supplier/publictenders

Can I just say the resurfacing of that road after Camp was really well done! So smooth and so long in coming!

Can I just say the resurfacing of that road after Camp was really well done! So smooth and so long in coming!

Agreed. I drove it 2 months ago. Makes for a much more enjoyable and comfortable drive. Bring the rest on....

Tender issued by Kerry County Council for consultants for Phases 5-7 (advance works, construction, handover) of the Ballynasare Lower-Annascaul & Ballygarret-Doonore South sections. That's a further 8km of this scheme which should start within the next 12-18 months.

Awarded to RPS.

https://irl.eu-supply.com/ctm/Supplier/PublicTenders/ViewNotice/215481

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

Excellent news. I wonder when we'll see shovels on the ground?

Meant to say that KCC are doing a lot of road relaying over the past week or so on the N86 Tralee to Camp.

• Advertisement

Tender out for ground investigation for the latest phase of this project.

https://irl.eu-supply.com/ctm/Supplier/PublicPurchase/154095/0/0?returnUrl=ctm/Supplier/publictenders&b=ETENDERS_SIMPLE

It looks as though the eastern segment has been trimmed back from 3.3km to 2.25km and now covers from the recently improved section at Ballygarret west of Camp to the townland of Doonore North.

The total length of this phase will be 4.7km + 2.25km = 6.95km. For reference, the contract last year was 4km.

https://twitter.com/countykerry/status/1165909092134731778

Looks like advance works are continuing apace on the next planned section.

There's been no confirmed start date but it would be nice to see it enter the tender process in 2020.

Another 7km of this road, including the completion of Annascaul-Lispole would be most welcome.

https://twitter.com/countykerry/status/1165909092134731778

Looks like advance works are continuing apace on the next planned section.

There's been no confirmed start date but it would be nice to see it enter the tender process in 2020.

Another 7km of this road, including the completion of Annascaul-Lispole would be most welcome.

Absolutely.

The next two worst hairpins after the now-relegated Banogue Hairpin are on that particular stretch.

The resurfacing KCC did as I mentioned already makes a lot of difference - really hope they push on with the upgrade. Road from outside Tralee to Camp needs a bit of work though especially straight after Tralee on the straight stretch

The resurfacing KCC did as I mentioned already makes a lot of difference - really hope they push on with the upgrade. Road from outside Tralee to Camp needs a bit of work though especially straight after Tralee on the straight stretch

Yes, the surface along that stetch is woeful.
    Towing a caravan along it at any more than 60kph means no crockery by the time you reach Dingle...

Tender documents for the next phase of this upgrade are nearing completion (in November so should be further on now) and will be submitted to TII for approval.

Would be wonderful to see the next phase of this start in 2020. A full 7km which is 3km longer than the last upgrade.

Work to commence on the next phase in 2021

https://www.radiokerry.ie/council-urged-seek-funding-repair-works-along-west-kerry-road/

Will include pavement works in Annascaul village also.

Work to commence on the next phase in 2021

https://www.radiokerry.ie/council-urged-seek-funding-repair-works-along-west-kerry-road/

Will include pavement works in Annascaul village also.

Wonderful news.

2 more hairpins removed, and Annascaul gets a badly-needed rebuild of it's main street.

Wonderful news.

2 more hairpins removed, and Annascaul gets a badly-needed rebuild of it's main street.

You said it - its in a right state (the road that is)

• Advertisement

With 25km of this left to do, a project which includes segregated cycling lanes along its length, I would expect this to benefit hugely from the next Government's plan to spend almost €400m on "cycling projects".

I think they should spend their money re-establishing the rail line :pac:

In all seriousness, if there is a protected cycle path along there, it will only help motorists as they wont have to be driving slowly behind and waiting for an opportunity to overtake

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

I think they should spend their money re-establishing the rail line :pac:

In all seriousness, if there is a protected cycle path along there, it will only help motorists as they wont have to be driving slowly behind and waiting for an opportunity to overtake
    Problem with these shared walking/cycling paths is they don't suit some cyclists who will then continue to use the road. IMO a much better solution is to have a shared walking/cycling path on just one side of the road (like on the Tralee Bypass but wider) whilst also having hard shoulders of reasonable width too.

But the powers that be know better...

I was in Dingle last week. The sooner the upgrade to surface in Annascaul village gets done the better. Its shocking. Gleann na nGealt is a dream to drive but between the old fish farm on the lispole straight and the turn up to the high road into Dingle is fairly poor and bumpy...as you leave Dingle towards lispole...around 200 metres before Vincent Henahans Garage..any car would be close to getting airborn doing 100 kmph with the series of bumps there. I know there's no tour busses heading west compared to other years but surely kC Council could have done some
    Necessary upgrades during Covid quiet traffic

Some initial work has started on the Ballinclare section: there seems to be some earth removal on the right hand side as you drive to Dingle - Raidio Na G says it's to see if an archeological survey is required? I thought all schemes had that included as standard; there's a small site yard just on the left past Ballinclare graveyard - it's a dangerous spot as traffic tends to speed up as they leave the bends coming from Dingle; there's some small activity at the old site yard at the Garrynadur scheme too. R na G said they had been told (Cllr Seamus Fitzgerald) that the scheme will commence as expected in 2021 and extends to the eastern side of Annascaul village.

Some initial work has started on the Ballinclare section: there seems to be some earth removal on the right hand side as you drive to Dingle - Raidio Na G says it's to see if an archeological survey is required? I thought all schemes had that included as standard; there's a small site yard just on the left past Ballinclare graveyard - it's a dangerous spot as traffic tends to speed up as they leave the bends coming from Dingle; there's some small activity at the old site yard at the Garrynadur scheme too. R na G said they had been told (Cllr Seamus Fiyzgerald) that the scheme will commence as expected in 2021 and extends to the eastern side of Annascaul village.

The western side, surely? Unless they're going to bypass Anascaul.... :-P

• Advertisement

The western side, surely? Unless they're going to bypass Anascaul.... :-P
    I know :) but they definitely said the eastern side - I think they were talking about the repaving of the main street.

Will be great fun if they discover some unique ruins in the archeological survey - and being west Kerry the place is littered with them. We'll wait and see :)

Eastern side of Annascaul is correct - the pavement through the village is being done too.

Eastern side of Annascaul is correct - the pavement through the village is being done too.

My apologies, that's great news. My camper shakes itself to bits every time I drive through there.

2021 is very late, the whole scheme Dingle-Tralee was meant to be complete in 2021 according to the original plan.

2021 is very late, the whole scheme Dingle-Tralee was meant to be complete in 2021 according to the original plan.
    Where did you get 2021 from?

It's been clear for years to me, as a very close follower of this scheme, that it'll be a long time before this finishes up. I have a small hope that a Green Transport Minister may accelerate parts of it due to the cycling component.

Here's where we stand now:

Completed:
    b. Lispole to Ballynasare Lower (2.7km) [completed in 2018]
    d. Annascaul to Gortbreagoge (4.2km) [completed in 2012]
    g. Ballygarret to Camp (1.1km) [completed in 2018]

Construction in 2021:
    c. Ballynasare Lower to Annascaul (4.7km)
    f. Doonore North to Ballygarret (2.3km)

Planned:
    a. Dingle to Lispole (10.7km)
    e. Gortbreagoge to Dooneen North (7.3km)
    h. Camp Upper to Camp Lower (1.3km)

The schemes then line up as above from a. at Dingle to h. near the R560 junction at Camp. The villages of Annascaul and Lispole will not be bypassed. The schemes in total comprise 28km of roadway.

By 2023, we will have 15km complete with 19km left to complete. The 4.2km section completed in 2012 was not part of the major N86 Tralee-Dingle scheme and completed separately but is included here for reference.

The one plus is that the most challenging sections of the route from an engineering perspective will be complete by 2023. Most of what's left is the cheapest parts on a per kilometre basis.

• Advertisement
Advertisement