Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXIII-33,444 in ROI(1,792 deaths) 9,541 in NI(577 deaths)(22/09)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Can someone tell me what number of cases per 100,00 population does it take for a county to go into Level 3 or down to Level 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Can someone tell me what number of cases per 100,00 population does it take for a county to go into Level 3 or down to Level 1?

It's a secret

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

It's based on more factors than a simple case count per 100k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Spleodar

I think you're after making a b*lls of that calculation.
    34 * 2.482 = 84..

It's something I'm actually getting a bit concerned about. I'm making an absolute bollox of minor calculations and really simple errors way too frequently.
    I couldn't remember my phone number yesterday at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Cases now headed to a very bad place in the UK. Going to be a very bleak few months there as things fall apart. I think we are roughly 15-20 days behind them in Dublin with the rest of the country another 10 days back. We still have a window to act but it is closing, fast.

You have a lovely way of building the tension, I hope you are a novelist or similar for a living.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Cases now headed to a very bad place in the UK. Going to be a very bleak few months there as things fall apart. I think we are roughly 15-20 days behind them in Dublin with the rest of the country another 10 days back. We still have a window to act but it is closing, fast.
    Can you provide the modelling for your conclusions?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Can you provide the modelling for your conclusions?

It's such a complex algorithm they couldn't possibly divulge!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,010 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Oh **** me, its like the 2 weeks behind Italy stuff from February. Have you anything remotely positive to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

Let the kids and adults have some fun. Show must go on :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Spleodar

They’re factoring in the R0 number, which gives you a sense of how fast it’s likely to spread, things like ICU capacity, hospital capacity etc etc etc

There isn’t a simple calculation. It’s more of a risk assessment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

You have a lovely way of building the tension, I hope you are a novelist or similar for a living.

He's right about the window of opportunity.

If this thing is still on rinse/repeat with lockdowns come January, I think it's fair to say public confidence in guidelines will be severely eroded.

Then you will have no path to victory, as now, AND an uncooperative population.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Level 1 is incredibly unlikely before winter is over. Most optimistic bet would be that if a vaccine starts being rolled out and is seen as being effective that they'd move us to level 1 then and then after some time passes give the all clear and be done with levels altogether.

Gradius wrote: »
    He's right about the window of opportunity.

If this thing is still on rinse/repeat with lockdowns come January, I think it's fair to say public confidence in guidelines will be severely eroded.

Then you will have no path to victory, as now, AND an uncooperative population.

There won't be a lockdown, UK just announced a lockdown, the pubs have to close at 10 pm, there may be measures, shut the pubs, as for worrying about the people becoming uncooperative, that ship has sailed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Fairly serious in the UK with the penalties and restrictions there and them being told it’ll likely last 6 months. Hopefully our 3 week one will sort it out. Also interesting to see him say that cocooning is a load of crap as it’ll get to old people anyway and overrun the system of measures not in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Fairly serious in the UK with the penalties and restrictions there and them being told it’ll likely last 6 months. Hopefully our 3 week one will sort it out. Also interesting to see him say that cocooning is a load of crap as it’ll get to old people anyway and overrun the system of measures not in place.

As much domestic politics as anything else....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Gradius wrote:
    It's actually quite bizarre seeing fiction come to life.

Watched it back in March. Insane how alike to now it is.

I watched it earlier in the year as well, while a lot of stuff had a lot of similarities. The main big difference was that the fatality rate of the disease in that film was something like 30% and not 0.05% or what ever the true rate is now.

Very interesting thread. Some believe that since June, our testing methods have changed, and a higher amount of false positive tests are being returned.
    https://twitter.com/kilkelly/status/1307052803957960704?s=20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Looks like it's back in the nursing homes. Issue this time is staff moving between facilities. No doubt they'll blame the people in Oliver Bond and call for a lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭landofthetree

polesheep wrote: »
    Looks like it's back in the nursing homes. Issue this time is staff moving between facilities. No doubt they'll blame the people in Oliver Bond and call for a lockdown.

But that's literally how it gets into nursing homes.

Level 1 is incredibly unlikely before winter is over. Most optimistic bet would be that if a vaccine starts being rolled out and is seen as being effective that they'd move us to level 1 then and then after some time passes give the all clear and be done with levels altogether.

When we get nearing that stage I reckon there will be some political "fun" going on. When a critical number (practically all vulnerable vaccinated and remainder vaccine program just commenced) we will be at that level, and then there'll be some hiccup or blunder about availability of further vaccines, with what would then be seen as an unnecessary continuation with any restrictions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Which is it, staff moving between facilities or people having a Rave (applying a very loose definition of Rave).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Good point but have to factor in how good the motorway system is and how ****e some of our normal roads are.

Yes roads up here to Belfast are great . That journey from Mitchellstown to Castletownbere is tougher going .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Or Tony Hoolahan.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,364 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Illustrative again of how "just isolate the vulnerable" is easier said than done.

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Yes roads up here to Belfast are great . That journey from Mitchellstown to Castletownbere is tougher going .

Will ye stop, what few dubs haven't been down the last few months will be down

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭bb1234567

niallo27 wrote: »
    Oh **** me, its like the 2 weeks behind Italy stuff from February. Have you anything remotely positive to say.

Hard to say anything positive about Europe at this minute, it's a pretty rapid decline of the situation, over 400 ICU admissions in the EU in the last 48 hours. Some positive news is it is stabilising in much of South America, it is really good news there has been a lot of suffering there in recent months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Some ICUs in Madrid are full.
    This already generates a very difficult problem for us to solve.
    We may be sending a non-infected person to catch the virus just because they have a cold,
    and send asymptomatic infected to the clean area. It has already happened to us several times.
    A person who comes for any ailment, you go to a clean area, you do the PCR like everyone else and it comes out positive.
    This puts health workers and patients at risk ”, indicate health workers.
    That the pictures are less severe, or even asymptomatic, does not mean that the virus is now less lethal.
    “A few days ago, a 19-year-old girl came to us with anxiety, that led to cardiac arrest and she died right there.
    She died of a massive thrombus. I have already had four cardiac arrests of people under 25 years of age due to thrombi,
    people who did not present unusual external symptoms ”.

https://twitter.com/DrZoeHyde/status/1308372692857356288?s=20

You don't think rules around staff doing overtime in multiple facilities would be useful? You prefer to think that staff partying in Oliver Bond is the issue?

Fairly big development in the last hour.
    HSE admits that 70-80 cases per day (for 10000 tests) are false positives.
    Christ.
    https://twitter.com/DavQuinn/status/1308493818027741184?s=20

• Advertisement

Arghus wrote: »
    Illustrative again of how "just isolate the vulnerable" is easier said than done.

No, illustrative of how those responsible cannot protect those that are obviously the most vulnerable.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement