Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXIII-33,444 in ROI(1,792 deaths) 9,541 in NI(577 deaths)(22/09)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,184 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Polar101 wrote: »
    I think the idea was to point out that just because they've had some cases, they don't need to be locked down right now.

I think the numbers of people waiting for beds around the country shows that while cases are bad in Dublin , no area of the country can afford to be complacent .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

petes wrote: »
    Ah great, we have another who won't answer a direct question.

Again, what is your suggestion/proposal rather than withering on about politics?

You show me how to condense thousands of pages of information into a digestible post on a message board, and I'll show you how to cure this pandemic.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,354 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

If you left Mitchelstown you’d be in Northern Ireland before you’d be at the opposite side of the county.

Just to prove how big Cork is

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Necro wrote: »
    Sligo is grand, we have a border set up and are ready to shoot out of county folk on sight :p

What about the free folk of Leitrim?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

What about the free folk of Leitrim?

Lost causes already :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,184 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

marno21 wrote: »
    If you left Mitchelstown you’d be in Northern Ireland before you’d be at the opposite side of the county.

You mean if I drive from Dublin to NI ?
    Or are you taking the pvss? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Gradius wrote: »
    You show me how to condense thousands of pages of information into a digestible post on a message board, and I'll show you how to cure this pandemic.

Nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭bb1234567

France going the way of Spain now with caseloads now translating to deaths/hospitalisations..124 ICU admissions and 130 deaths in France in the last 48 hours

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Yes.
    Apparently all warned 5 years ago about getting the health and other services ready for just this scenario.
    But no government in this country has ever done more than lurch from crisis to crisis.

No "apparently" about it. Strategies were completed 8 years ago and given to every government.

They were also specifically warned about China, right down to the genetic variables of potential zoonotics arising from that place.

But, you know, cheap labour and maximum profit were given precedent. I wonder are they laughing now watching economies die :p I won't pretend, there's a schadenfreude to the whole disaster.

petes wrote: »
    Nonsense.

Says bloke :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

jojofizzio wrote: »
    Takes about an hour to drive from Co.Kerry from Skibbereen

Was looking at the map a*seways :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Can we start the new thread, but leave the last 200 posts left in this thread before the 10k limit for those who want to argue the ratio of Dublin's width to Cork's height please.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Goldrickssan

Can we start the new thread, but leave the last 200 posts left in this thread before the 10k limit for those who want to argue the ratio of Dublin's width to Cork's height please.

I think we're close to a cure for Covid though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Goldengirl wrote: »
    You mean if I drive from Dublin to NI ?
    Or are you taking the pvss? :)

He's right:eek: Google mapped it 2 hours 51 to the border near Newry and 2 hour 51 to Lambs head Co. Cork both from Mitchelstown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

marno21 wrote: »

Good point but have to factor in how good the motorway system is and how ****e some of our normal roads are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Just got to level 3 already for the above average counties. Get it over and done with

You have made a good point. There are no metrics associated with the different levels. What is the target for Dublin to be back to level 2, or indeed what level would indicate it reaching level 4? There is plenty of stuck but not much in terms of a carrot.

And can we do all this with having 40 super spreaders sitting in a room together for 6 hours A day 5 days a week, and then going home to their families every evening and weekends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Spleodar

Rates in Cork beginning to look quite scary now. 34 cases today...

If you adjusted that to compare to Dublin...it would be like having 200+ cases a day in Dublin or more. WOW

Pop Cork: 542,868
    Pop Dublin: 1,347,359

So there’s 2.482 times the population of Cork in Dublin.

So it would work out at 84 cases per scaled up to Dublin pop, which is giving Cork a similar level of cases as Dublin was having over the last few days.

We need to start publishing cases in per 100,000 figures as I’m finding, as is always the case in Ireland, we tend to see counties as identically comparable blocks.

I mean the counties go from 1.3m to 0.55 million and then you’re down 0.25 million for Galway and everything smaller than that is less than 200,000

11 of the 26 are less than 100,000, with Longford and Leitrim at less than 50,000.

Leitrim isn’t much bigger than a Dublin or Cork suburb.

The other issue I would like to see ironed out is urban cases per 100,000.

It’s hard to get a sense of what’s happening in Cork City for example if we are rolling in case loads from rural areas and meat processing outbreaks and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,638 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Spleodar wrote: »
    Pop Cork: 542,868
    Pop Dublin: 1,347,359

So there’s 2.482 times the population of Cork in Dublin.

So it would work out at 209 cases per scaled up to Dublin pop, which is giving Cork a similar level of cases as Dublin was having over the last few days.

We need to start publishing cases in per 100,000 figures as I’m finding, as is always the case in Ireland, we tend to see counties as identically comparable blocks.

I mean the counties go from 1.3m to 0.55 million and then you’re down 0.25 million for Galway and everything smaller than that is less than 200,000

11 of the 26 are less than 100,000, with Longford and Leitrim at less than 50,000.

Leitrim isn’t much bigger than a Dublin or Cork suburb.

The other issue I would like to see ironed out is urban cases per 100,000.

It’s hard to get a sense of what’s happening in Cork City for example if we are rolling in case loads from rural areas and meat processing outbreaks and so on.
    I think you're after making a b*lls of that calculation.
    34 * 2.482 = 84..

There are many secrets the government doesn't want you to know.

For instance, you are immune to the virus if you breathe backwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Hows does that work?

In through the mouth out through the nose?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

I heard that anyone who has died from Covid had a pre-existing condition called lungs. Open your eyes sheeple.

Hows does that work?

Easy. Take a deep breath and let it out. Well it's just like that but in reverse.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Goldrickssan

Hows does that work?

In through the arse out through the ears

Seriously, people need to watch that film called "Contagion".

Theres a character played by Jude law that is a social media personality, and he's a charlatan spreading disinformation and doubt in order to become wealthy, making things much worse for everyone else in the process.

It's actually quite bizarre seeing fiction come to life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

https://twitter.com/FatEmperor/status/1308475255841841156?s=20

beneath the tweet there's an icon that looks like an arrow pointing out of a box. click that and then "Copy link to tweet". Then just paste.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,638 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Seriously, people need to watch that film called "Contagion".

Theres a character played by Jude law that is a social media personality, and he's a charlatan spreading disinformation and doubt in order to become wealthy, making things much worse for everyone else in the process.

It's actually quite bizarre seeing fiction come to life.
    Watched it back in March. Insane how alike to now it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Spleodar

I think you're after making a b*lls of that calculation.
    34 * 2.482 = 84..

My phone rang mid calculation so you'll just have to excuse it - edited.

Watched it back in March. Insane how alike to now it is.

It's fairly accurate for a good reason, the cast and crew met with disease experts for consultation here in Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 466 ✭✭DangerScouse

Cases now headed to a very bad place in the UK. Going to be a very bleak few months there as things fall apart. I think we are roughly 15-20 days behind them in Dublin with the rest of the country another 10 days back. We still have a window to act but it is closing, fast.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement