Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

KCross wrote: »
    Yea, things like... Two EV's, Upgrade of heating to a heat pump, electric showers etc

Your current supply is probably 60A. An EV will be using 32A of that for several hours. Bumping the supply up to 80A gives you more wriggle room but not absolutely necessary, but if he is pulling a new cable anyway why not have it future proofed.... if its not much different in price.

What's max current carrying capacity for 16sq?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,072 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Felexicon wrote: »
    What's max current carrying capacity for 16sq?

Arent you a spark, no?

25mm² is what is usually recommended for the enhanced ESB supply for 16kVA. Its what I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

sekond wrote: »
    House is late 70s, fusebox that was done in the last 10 years or so (before we moved in).

Looking at the quote I was given it seems it needs
    - mains upgrade to 16sq-something
    - new earth for that cable
    - a cable into the hot press? and connecting to the boiler
    - new earth rod and cable to that.

We've no problem getting it done if it's needed, it's just very frustrating that we could have been getting it done while waiting for the charger, but they didn't survey until today when he was due to install. (And I'm not sure there are any questions they could have asked me in advance that would have meant they would have known in advance)

We had to do similar, ran all the cables internally ourselves (underneath floorboards upstairs) and had sparks do all the connecting. Actual cable was cheap (5-10 e per m)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Alkers wrote: »
    We had to do similar, ran all the cables internally ourselves (underneath floorboards upstairs) and had sparks do all the connecting. Actual cable was cheap (5-10 e per m)
    You shouldn't be running the cables.

These are Restricted Electrical Works and should only be carried out by a RECI contractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

Cyrus wrote: »
    if you want the grant itll have to come from the main board.

if you dont im sure you can find someone to do it the way you want.

not true, i got the grant and the installer installed a new fuseboard and made the one in the middle of the house a secondary one. so the charger comes off the main board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Repolho

Any places that sell chargers on their own without installation? Any of the sites that i am getting on a google search are for supply & install but I'm having my own electrician do the install so just looking to buy the unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,874 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Repolho wrote: »
    Any places that sell chargers on their own without installation? Any of the sites that i am getting on a google search are for supply & install but I'm having my own electrician do the install so just looking to buy the unit.

If you go to the manufacturers page they often sell them, EO, Zappi and Wallbox to name a few

You can also search on eBay or Amazon

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Have not had any dealings with them, so not a recommendation but https://midsummer.ie/ seems to sell Zappi and EO units.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

I bought here https://www.bhcdistributors.co.uk/index.php/products/electric-vehicles-3/zappi-type2.html €610+vat

• Registered Users Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

eoferrall wrote: »
    not true, i got the grant and the installer installed a new fuseboard and made the one in the middle of the house a secondary one. so the charger comes off the main board.

So it’s coming off the main board ?

• Advertisement

Finally got our grant in our account today, no correspondence as of yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

kieran. wrote: »
    zappi-type2[/url] €610+vat

€732 - I presume that's a good price for this charge point?

The anorak in me, few quick sums:

Average EV owner, driving 15,000kms per year, charging at home on night rate electricity @ 7.7c/kWh.

They will pay 40% more for each unit, so almost 11c/kWh, for 10 years, to recover that €732 :eek:.
    Double that if they pay the same for install, so a 20 year payback, or 10 years if paying 80% more for electricity.

A €200 charge point supplies the exact same electrons to your car - these are mainly just 32a outdoor sockets.

Get a Zappi if you've solar PV, or you prefer the look of it or like gadgets/apps etc.

If you don't, save some money :).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Risteard81 wrote: »
    You shouldn't be running the cables.

These are Restricted Electrical Works and should only be carried out by a RECI contractor.

Anybody can run cables.
    It’s work around the consumer unit that needs a safe electric registered sparks.

Kramer wrote: »
    €732 - I presume that's a good price for this charge point?

The anorak in me, few quick sums:

Average EV owner, driving 15,000kms per year, charging at home on night rate electricity @ 7.7c/kWh.

They will pay 40% more for each unit, so almost 11c/kWh, for 10 years, to recover that €732 :eek:.
    Double that if they pay the same for install, so a 20 year payback, or 10 years if paying 80% more for electricity.

A €200 charge point supplies the exact same electrons to your car - these are mainly just 32a outdoor sockets.

Get a Zappi if you've solar PV, or you prefer the look of it or like gadgets/apps etc.

If you don't, save some money :).

I done that :)
    Bought my ABL unit second hand for €200 on the Facebook group and spent €80 fitting it and then €100 getting it certified by a local sparks.

Then sold it 2 years later for €275.
    Bought a bmw wallbox on DoneDeal for €250 and sold that recently for €300.

A small unknown is that EV chargers have gone up in value second hand. Supply and demand. I remember seeing EV charger for €150 give or take. Now, nothing sells for less than €300 ish

I now use my Tesla UMC that came with the car and a 32a commando connector that comes with the UMC. I get the same 7kw charging at home and I’ll keep the charger funds in a Revolut vault in case I need to buy a charger in the future :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

When ESB were giving them away they were cheap, now that there is a grant for €600 they became expensive, hmm, I wonder what the correlation is?

Gumbo wrote: »
    Anybody can run cables.
    It’s work around the consumer unit that needs a safe electric registered sparks.

Exactly, I didn't connect anything, only fed the cables through the house and left the two ends exposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,874 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

liamog wrote: »
    When ESB were giving them away they were cheap, now that there is a grant for €600 they became expensive, hmm, I wonder what the correlation is?

The wonders of capitalism :rolleyes:

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Anybody can run cables.

There are two aspects to it....

- If the electrician who is signing it off hasnt eyeballed the cable that you ran how does he know you havent tapped that cable off another spur or have joiners or mounted it in a dangerous way, is it inside insulation or not etc. If he can see the full run of the cable then there shouldnt be a problem.

- Its just a way for an electician to say he wants the entire job and not be turning up for you to expect him to ask for just €50 for his work! ;)

I'm not agreeing/disagreeing with any of the above, just explaining the rationale.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

KCross wrote: »
    There are two aspects to it....

- If the electrician who is signing it off hasnt eyeballed the cable that you ran how does he know you havent tapped that cable off another spur or have joiners or mounted it in a dangerous way, is it inside insulation or not etc. If he can see the full run of the cable then there shouldnt be a problem.

- Its just a way for an electician to say he wants the entire job and not be turning up for you to expect him to ask for just €50 for his work! ;)

I'm not agreeing/disagreeing with any of the above, just explaining the rationale.

Aye thats the problem. 99% of the lads, like myself, who run the cables have a dicky bird what they are doing and understand it, but all it takes is one lad and he will bring a whole world of hell onto the house.
    Though the spark should also carry the responsibility as they are signing off on it too remember.

Anybody can run cables.
    Absolutely incorrect. Any and all Restricted Works MUST by law only be carried out by a RECI member. Nowhere is the running of cables stated to be excluded from this legislation, which would result in the commission of a crime were it ignored.

• Advertisement

Alkers wrote: »
    Exactly, I didn't connect anything, only fed the cables through the house and left the two ends exposed.
    Not "exactly" at all.

You broke the law, pure and simple.

Not "exactly" at all.

I bet he wasn't wearing a mask at the time either - lock him up :rolleyes:.

By that logic, unwinding my vacuum cable makes me a criminal!

Electricians are taking the p1ss with these €700+, 2 hour "charger" installs. It's the new gold rush.
    Sure if you can afford a €60,000+ Tesla, you can well afford a €2k charger, aren't the gubbermint even paying €600 - that's cream for me!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Unwinding a vacuum cable isn't the same thing at all.

As I'm sure you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

Cyrus wrote: »
    So it’s coming off the main board ?

exactly, the main board is the new board.

that is my understanding of the set up that the company explained to me. I checked with ESB and they had no issue with them connecting the tails to the new one, and also I rang Safe electric, who wouldn't give me a specific answer as I was not a registered electrcian so they could not give me formal advise, but they did say in general what I had described didn't appear to be unreasonable, but if I rang back with the electrician there they could give more of an answer.

but the two responses where enough for me to give go ahead to have work done.

Absolutely incorrect. Any and all Restricted Works MUST by law only be carried out by a RECI member. Nowhere is the running of cables stated to be excluded from this legislation, which would result in the commission of a crime were it ignored.
    Not "exactly" at all.

There you go. SI 264 of 2013.
    Definition of Restricted Electrical Works

in a Domestic Property.

Restricted Electrical Works does not include:

Minor electrical works which include very small works such as like-for-like replacements (e.g. switches), moving light fittings without affecting the circuit and adding a socket to an existing circuit.

So your telling me I can add sockets, replace switches, but I cant run a cable and leave open at both ends as it’s against the law. The mind boggles at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Kramer wrote: »
    I bet he wasn't wearing a mask at the time either - lock him up :rolleyes:.

By that logic, unwinding my vacuum cable makes me a criminal!

Electricians are taking the p1ss with these €700+, 2 hour "charger" installs. It's the new gold rush.
    Sure if you can afford a €60,000+ Tesla, you can well afford a €2k charger, aren't the gubbermint even paying €600 - that's cream for me!!!

Who is charging €700 for an install? And who is paying it.

Unfortunately that is happening. Examples are on this thread. The grant is being creamed off by some electricians.... no two ways about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Rip off trades people in Ireland is hardly breaking news. Electricians are no different.

€1600 a guy on Facebook got quoted today for a zappi install.
    Rang another guy, €1200.

For a glorified external socket.

• Advertisement

Who is charging €700 for an install?

I'm not going to put an electrician's name up here now, am I?
    And who is paying it.

People who don't know any better :D.

Advertisement