Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Gforcemurphy

Quick question:

I am conscious that I needed to have the grant approval before getting work done. However, I didn’t appreciate that this rule necessarily extended to the purchase of a charge point. Looking at my letter of offer I see that this seems to be the case, they consider any purchase prior to the start date to be ineligible. My online Zappi purchase predates my start date by two days. Am I in the sheeeeat?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 JBinWaterford

Quick question:

I am conscious that I needed to have the grant approval before getting work done. However, I didn’t appreciate that this rule necessarily extended to the purchase of a charge point. Looking at my letter of offer I see that this seems to be the case, they consider any purchase prior to the start date to be ineligible. My online Zappi purchase predates my start date by two days. Am I in the sheeeeat?

I'm no lawyer/SME, but I purchased a Zappi knowing we 100% hit grant criteria, and had own (accredited) sparks fit it. Tho I didn't arrange installation until I had grant offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

My online Zappi purchase predates my start date by two days. Am I in the sheeeeat?

You'll be fine. They don't need any invoice/receipt/proof of purchase, just the electrician's certs & form you fill in with the total amount you paid (€600+).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Can I have the isolator inside behind where the charger is going?
    It must be within 2m of the EVSE. So realistically a rotary isolator outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,820 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

May not be the correct place to post so move if necessary mod.

I'm planning on getting my charger installed on the side wall of my house beside the main ESB meter. The Fuse Box is in the utility room at the far side of the house.

Does the installer need to run the cabling from the fuse box or can they hook in from the meter?

I also have outdoor lights that are about 5 meters from the meter. Can the installer extend the cable from here either?

I can add a photo later to explain better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭McHonda

TitianGerm wrote: »
    May not be the correct place to post so move if necessary mod.

I'm planning on getting my charger installed on the side wall of my house beside the main ESB meter. The Fuse Box is in the utility room at the far side of the house.

Does the installer need to run the cabling from the fuse box or can they hook in from the meter?

I also have outdoor lights that are about 5 meters from the meter. Can the installer extend the cable from here either?

I can add a photo later to explain better.

I had the same issue as you and I was consistently told no, you can not hook in from the meter. Others here seem to have gotten around that. Assuming you want the full 7.2kw you will need a 32a cable with it's own breaker on fuseboard to charger. It was minus craic coming up with a route with my electrician but we got there in the end.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

McHonda wrote: »
    I had the same issue as you and I was consistently told no, you can not hook in from the meter. Others here seem to have gotten around that. Assuming you want the full 7.2kw you will need a 32a cable with it's own breaker on fuseboard to charger. It was minus craic coming up with a route with my electrician but we got there in the end.

What breaker did they put in for you?

McHonda wrote: »

Ah feck.

I'll have to see what they say so. Herself will go mad if they need to drill holes everywhere :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Ah feck.

I'll have to see what they say so. Herself will go mad if they need to drill holes everywhere :pac:

if you want the grant itll have to come from the main board.

if you dont im sure you can find someone to do it the way you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

It cannot and must not come from the meter cubicle. This is expressly prohibited and is also a breach of ESB requirements as well as the National Wiring Rules.

• Advertisement

Cyrus wrote: »
    if you want the grant itll have to come from the main board.

if you dont im sure you can find someone to do it the way you want.

I've a cousin who's an electrician so I'll have him take a look.

The installer could run the cable up from the fuse board and into the floorboards for the first floor but that would mean lifting carpets to bring the cable across the house.

How thick is the wire actually? They could go straight up to the attic and back out beside the black plastic pipe for the ensuite toilet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,072 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Technically you cannot run a second cable off (or inside) the meter box.

What you can do is add a second consumer unit next to the meter box and switch the feed from the meter into that new consumer unit and then feed the rest of the house from that new consumer unit and also feed the charge point off that new consumer unit... does that make sense? That is a legit way to do it and wont require any wiring around the house but it will mean a new box on your outside wall.

No, very unlikely a bunch of lights have a cable thick enough to take a 32A charge point. The charge point needs a dedicated cable and RCBO of its own particularly if you want the draw the grant for it.

Ultimately, get your registered electrician to advise and ensure they understand the grant requirements.

KCross wrote: »
    Technically you cannot run a second cable off (or inside) the meter box.

What you can do is add a second consumer unit next to the meter box and switch the feed from the meter into that new consumer unit and then feed the rest of the house from that new consumer unit and also feed the charge point off that new consumer unit... does that make sense? That is a legit way to do it and wont require any wiring around the house but it will mean a new box on your outside wall

Ultimately, get your registered electrician to advise and ensure they understand the grant requirements.

So I could add another Meter in the wall box and hook the house to that?

On a side note - if anyone can recommend an electrician from Wexford who has experience installing chargers then that would be great.

So I could add another Meter in the wall box and hook the house to that?

No, it will be a new box next to the meter box. You are not supposed to put anything into the meter box.

The meter box feeds the new box (instead of the consumer unit in your house) and then the new box feeds the house. The new box can then also feed the charge point as it will be right there next to the charge point.

The existing cable that runs from your meter box to the consumer unit in the house can be reused so it shouldnt require a new cable to be run through the house.

No, it will be a new box next to the meter box. You are not supposed to put anything into the meter box.

The meter box feeds the new box (instead of the consumer unit in your house) and then the new box feeds the house. The new box can then also feed the charge point as it will be right there next to the charge point.

The existing cable that runs from your meter box to the consumer unit in the house can be reused so it shouldnt require a new cable to be run through the house.

Ok so I think I have it now.

1. Disconect the cable from the meter into the house.
    2. Install a new unit (fuse board?) In the wall box beside the meter.
    3. Wire the new unit to the original cable running into the house.
    4. Wire the new unit to the meter.
    5. New cable and fuse from the new unit to power the wall charger.
    6. Install home charger.

Is that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭sekond

Installer arrived today to intall the chargepoint (the Opel/Energia deal), only to say that there was considerable upgrade work that needs to be done. We've been waiting since the end of July for this, which is very frustrating. So another thousand euro worth of work that needs to be put into the house before it can be installed.

So just a heads up to anyone going with this deal that they don't survey the house in advance, they do it when they turn up to do the install.

Ok so I think I have it now.

1. Disconect the cable from the meter into the house.
    2. Install a new unit (fuse board?) In the wall box beside the meter.
    3. Wire the new unit to the original cable running into the house.
    4. Wire the new unit to the meter.
    5. New cable and fuse from the new unit to power the wall charger.
    6. Install home charger.

Is that right?

Yup, that’s it.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,148 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

sekond wrote: »
    Installer arrived today to intall the chargepoint (the Opel/Energia deal), only to say that there was considerable upgrade work that needs to be done. We've been waiting since the end of July for this, which is very frustrating. So another thousand euro worth of work that needs to be put into the house before it can be installed.

So just a heads up to anyone going with this deal that they don't survey the house in advance, they do it when they turn up to do the install.

What kind of upgrades do you need? Is it a very old house?

Yup, that’s it.

Great thanks a million for that.

That really does seem like the best option for my house.

Great thanks a million for that.

That really does seem like the best option for my house.

And just a photo of where I plan to install the charger.

Hopefully just beside the connection box for the phone line.

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    What kind of upgrades do you need? Is it a very old house?

House is late 70s, fusebox that was done in the last 10 years or so (before we moved in).

Looking at the quote I was given it seems it needs
    - mains upgrade to 16sq-something
    - new earth for that cable
    - a cable into the hot press? and connecting to the boiler
    - new earth rod and cable to that.

We've no problem getting it done if it's needed, it's just very frustrating that we could have been getting it done while waiting for the charger, but they didn't survey until today when he was due to install. (And I'm not sure there are any questions they could have asked me in advance that would have meant they would have known in advance)

House is late 70s, fusebox that was done in the last 10 years or so (before we moved in).

We've no problem getting it done if it's needed, it's just very frustrating that we could have been getting it done while waiting for the charger, but they didn't survey until today when he was due to install. (And I'm not sure there are any questions they could have asked me in advance that would have meant they would have known in advance)

Thats going to be an issue for alot of people installing EV charge points in "old" houses. The wiring has to be brought up to current standards for earthing.

Having said that.... if he is putting in a 16mm² mains cable (aka "tails") I'd pay a few extra quid and get it upgraded to 25mm². Its just one cable and the cost difference shouldnt be much and it will allow you at some point in the future to increase the max amps you are allowed pull into the house from 60 to 80. You will have to pay extra for that at the time but at least you wont have to pay for that cable upgrade a second time.

Its worth asking the question anyway... i.e. get a quote for 25mm² instead of 16mm² and see what the difference is.

Thats going to be an issue for alot of people installing EV charge points in "old" houses. The wiring has to be brought up to current standards for earthing.

Having said that.... if he is putting in a 16mm² mains cable (aka "tails") I'd pay a few extra quid and get it upgraded to 25mm². Its just one cable and the cost difference shouldnt be much and it will allow you at some point in the future to increase the max amps you are allowed pull into the house from 60 to 80. You will have to pay extra for that at the time but at least you wont have to pay for that cable upgrade a second time.

Its worth asking the question anyway... i.e. get a quote for 25mm² instead of 16mm² and see what the difference is.

That's really useful, thanks. What are the kind of reasons I might want to increase that max amps - are we talking charging an additional car etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭meercat

That’s not 100% correct
    The main earth connections need to be terminated at the main board. (Rod,gas and supplementary bonding)
    The way you are proposing leaves the main earthing Now connected to the sub Board. This is totally against regulations

meercat wrote: »
    That’s not 100% correct
    The main earth connections need to be terminated at the main board. (Rod,gas and supplementary bonding)
    The way you are proposing leaves the main earthing Now connected to the sub Board. This is totally against regulations

The new board becomes the main board and the existing one becomes a sub board. What extra would be required to align with regs?

Give the new board its own earth rod?
    Or would a new cable need to be run between the boards?... which would defeat the purpose of it in this case.

That's really useful, thanks. What are the kind of reasons I might want to increase that max amps - are we talking charging an additional car etc?

Yea, things like... Two EV's, Upgrade of heating to a heat pump, electric showers etc

Your current supply is probably 60A. An EV will be using 32A of that for several hours. Bumping the supply up to 80A gives you more wriggle room but not absolutely necessary, but if he is pulling a new cable anyway why not have it future proofed.... if its not much different in price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭meercat

The new board becomes the main board and the existing one becomes a sub board. What extra would be required to align with regs?

Give the new board its own earth rod?
    Or would a new cable need to be run between the boards?... which would defeat the purpose of it in this case.

The new board would need its own earth rod.
    It would also need a 10mm cable to the gas meter/boiler
    It would also need a 10mm cable to the hot press to supplement bonding

To comply with regulations

meercat wrote: »
    It would also need a 10mm cable to the gas meter/boiler
    It would also need a 10mm cable to the hot press to supplement bonding

Those two are the kickers there then.

TitianGerm, you'll need to discuss with your electrician as to what needs to be done in your case and/or how hard it is to get those extra cables done to comply with regs.

I know some folks have gone down this sub board route before to avoid running extra cables through the house so YMMV.

Those two are the kickers there then.

TitianGerm, you'll need to discuss with your electrician as to what needs to be done in your case and/or how hard it is to get those extra cables done to comply with regs.

I know some folks have gone down this sub board route before to avoid running extra cables through the house so YMMV.

I don't have gas so that's not an issue.

VW told me they hope to have the car in November so there's no rush on the charger at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Sounds exactly the same as the upgrade work I had to get done (but also had to get earthing done on the gas boiler). €550 plus vat. Then the ESB need to connect to the new tails (another €168) and another call-out to schedule, then you can get the charger fitted. Mine was just a couple of feet from the fuse box. I won't be sharing any photos in a hurry - not the prettiest job - but functional!

Advertisement