Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Mark1916 wrote: »
    Hi all - quick question, wondering has anyone got a charger installed in their garage using the fuse box in the garage instead of the main fuse box in the house?

I have a garage and was going to install it in there rather than on the house somewhere.

Thanks!

Depends on the load on the fusebox in the garage and the breaker where the garage supply is coming from on the main board.
    Most garages have sockets, lights and maybe a fridgefreezer or something and not much else.

But check what you have on the board in the garage and then what breaker the garage is on in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Mine was done like that. But the garage was built much later than the house and has better cable than even the main board has. But it did require an Eddi for the CT clamps to my Zappi because it wasn't feasible to run the usual wire to the garage without significant work.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Well that happened faster than I thought it would.

Submitted application for SEAI grant with all the paperwork about 20/7, got kicked back for some admon reason, resubmitted and got email confirm 31/7.

This morning got an email saying money has been paid and should be in account in next few days.

So about 8 weeks from them accepting the paperwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,874 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

zg3409 wrote: »
    If you don't gave a heavy load item in you house you don't need one. As is no instant electric shower, heat pump etc.

I've charger and heat pump and no issues so far with both running in parallel. Only charging at 3.6kW though, might change when I get a new car and step up to 7kW

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

I've charger and heat pump and no issues so far with both running in parallel. Only charging at 3.6kW though, might change when I get a new car and step up to 7kW

Is the charger limited to 3.6kw? If not and there is no load management you will have issues

• Advertisement

Felexicon wrote: »
    Is the charger limited to 3.6kw? If not and there is no load management you will have issues

No, I've a Leaf 24 so the car's the limiting factor there. I got a 32 amp cable and charger put in for future proofing, so next car will likely be capable of 7kW charging

No, I've a Leaf 24 so the car's the limiting factor there. I got a 32 amp cable and charger put in for future proofing, so next car will likely be capable of 7kW charging

Well be sure to check with the installer if load balancing function was installed or if charger has limit set to 3.6kw because you will blow your main fuse with heat pump and 7.2kw charge at the same time

Well be sure to check with the installer if load balancing function was installed or if charger has limit set to 3.6kw because you will blow your main fuse with heat pump and 7.2kw charge at the same time

It definitely wasn't because my charger predates that addon.

Don't worry, I've got it scoped out for a Zappi with load balancing when I upgrade my car

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

I figured this would be of interest to some here Technology Connections - Car Chargers aren't chargers at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Pique wrote: »
    I figured this would be of interest to some here Technology Connections - Car Chargers aren't chargers at all.

I've tried but it's a waste of time. People want to call them chargers :(.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=112327379

I've been told it's nit picking, splitting hairs etc. It suits manufacturers & installers though - I've seen an invoice for €1,500 for supply & install of a basic unit, untethered, just 4 metres from the consumer unit. One hole drilled, no isolator, as simple as it gets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

The correct term is Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment (EVSE).

• Registered Users Posts: 27,820 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Got the letter of offer from SEAI today for the charger grant. Won't have the car until November but I assume I'm now ok to see about having something installed in the coming weeks?

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Got the letter of offer from SEAI today for the charger grant. Won't have the car until November but I assume I'm now ok to see about having something installed in the coming weeks?

Yes, but I don't think you'll get your refund from SEAI until you have the car as you'll need to send a copy of the registration cert

I'd advise going ahead with the installation if you're okay to wait until November to get your grant money. Pinning down an installer can be difficult, you may literally need to pin them down

Yes, but I don't think you'll get your refund from SEAI until you have the car as you'll need to send a copy of the registration cert

I'd advise going ahead with the installation if you're okay to wait until November to get your grant money. Pinning down an installer can be difficult, you may literally need to pin them down

I'll probably be ordering through the VW site (Elli charger) and they have a early November estimate for delivery which I assume is install.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I'll probably be ordering through the VW site (Elli charger) and they have a early November estimate for delivery which I assume is install.

Decent price on the basic model.

Assume that will charge any EV or PHEV

1600 quid extra to install.......

yop wrote: »
    Decent price on the basic model.

Assume that will charge any EV or PHEV

I'll be going for the middle option that has WiFi.

Either that or go with an EO charger which herself likes better as it's a much smaller box on the wall.

I'll be going for the middle option that has WiFi.

Either that or go with an EO charger which herself likes better as it's a much smaller box on the wall.

Yeah the VW charger is a substantial sized unit alright

Yeah the VW charger is a substantial sized unit alright

It looks flat enough but the EO looks much neater. She's definitely leaning towards that.

Has anyone here had one installed?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

It looks flat enough but the EO looks much neater. She's definitely leaning towards that.

Has anyone here had one installed?

Yes a few. Cyrus to name one.

Gumbo wrote: »
    Yes a few. Cyrus to name one.

Hopefully someone can post about their EO and install process. I'm completely lost on all of this as it's my first EV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Hopefully someone can post about their EO and install process.

Posted already it’s a few pages back :) also on my e-tron thread

Any other qns shout

Cyrus wrote: »
    Posted already it’s a few pages back :) also on my e-tron thread

Any other qns shout

I'll have a look now. Thanks for that Cyrus.

Cyrus wrote: »
    Posted already it’s a few pages back :)also on my e-tron thread

Any other qns shout

I hate you.

My son wud love u though :D

Well wear

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Heroditas

The EO charger is good but don't bother with the smart version. The app is a complete heap of junk and the hub keeps losing connectivity and requires rebooting.

Heroditas wrote: »
    The EO charger is good but don't bother with the smart version. The app is a complete heap of junk and the hub keeps losing connectivity and requires rebooting.

Really? That's a bit of a pain.

Anything of a similar size that might be worth considering?

Really? That's a bit of a pain.

Anything of a similar size that might be worth considering?

Not sure about size. Do you need the charger to be smart?

Not sure about size. Do you need the charger to be smart?

I don't know if I need smart but I thought it might be a nice option to have. I've an ID3 due in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Haven’t had that issue myself but I’d agree the app is very basic. That said all I want from it is off peak charging as Audi made it overly complicated from the car and it works perfectly for that .

I don't know if I need smart but I thought it might be a nice option to have. I've an ID3 due in November.

If you can programme the car when to charge, then go for the dumb version of the charger. In my mind anyway, it makes more sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭eagerv

You will be able to program charge the ID.3 from the car, it's just not there yet.(As far as I can see).
    But you can set it to a limit atm so it's just a matter of plugging in your car after 23:00 (GMT) to avail of night rates and setting it to charge to 80% or whatever.

Advertisement