Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Ionised

NEDDURC wrote:
    Are the Electric ireland chargers good - has anyone ordered this?

Zero issues thus far with the EO mini that was installed by them (well, by KN but via EI)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,874 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

NEDDURC wrote: »
    Are the Electric ireland chargers good - has anyone ordered this?

I didn't get mine through EI but I've an EO mini for over 2 years now. No issues with it, it's a nice basic unit and is discreet unlike some of the bigger units

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

How did you get on with this? Has the installation taken place? I ordered the Volkswagen connect (middle option of the three available) on Monday. Apart from the automated receipt from Elli I've heard nothing else.

Looking at the Bord Gais website they seem to subcontract to "local heroes" and they're all based in Dublin. I'm in the midwest.

I won't have the car for a couple of weeks but I think the installer might look at my prehistoric fuse box and meter and shake their head so I'd like things to get moving

Today I received a mail from Bord Gais with a link to an online survey where I had to upload photos of my fuse box, meter, front of house etc. The last step was to book a phone appointment to discuss the installation so that's scheduled for next week

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Finally got around to getting a home charge point, after much toing and froing about which to get. Zappi (tethered) installed today. If it wasn't for the isolater switch, there wouldn't even by any cable visible.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Has anyone got this connection error message with an EO Mini (purchased through EI and installed by KN).

Had the charger about 6 weeks with no issues, trying to get hold of EI.

Trued resetting the power, the broadband is working OK. Going to get another EV car to try and charge and see if it is the unit or the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Has anyone got this connection error message with an EO Mini (purchased through EI and installed by KN).

Had the charger about 6 weeks with no issues, trying to get hold of EI.

Trued resetting the power, the broadband is working OK. Going to get another EV car to try and charge and see if it is the unit or the car.

did you unpower the smart home box beside your fuseboard?

Cyrus wrote: »
    did you unpower the smart home box beside your fuseboard?

Yep made no difference.

Tried another EV with our cable and theirs and neither worked so pretty sure it is our charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

switch hasnt tripped or isolator isnt turned off by any chance?

Cyrus wrote: »
    switch hasnt tripped or isolator isnt turned off by any chance?

Nope.

Got on to EO Support by twitter then email and they said they've done a reboot of our box from their end, that worked.

Have asked of BB issues in our estate this morning could have caused this (would not have thought that they should)?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

Hi, contacted EI about install, likely to take at least a month.

Any other good options that would be quicker?

I know some electricians - where best to buy a box seperately?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I think I will source the box myself and like wise I know good few sparks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Depends what you you want from your charger.

You can pick them up from any electrical wholesaler

EO mini is a nice simple choice, you can buy direct from EO in the UK
    Zappi and Wallbox are other options which also do direct sales.
    What you need depends on your car/house and what features you want

• Registered Users Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Morec on eBay. Quite a bit cheaper and so far, very reliable.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Lads,
    Just on the "Depends what you need from your charger".
    So I assume that we look at tethered, untethered and that it can charge up to xKw?

For the uneducated (me!) what are the key features a charger should have based on your own experiences.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

My own experience is that a simple charge point is good enough and let the cars handle scheduling, but I don't have solar PV, so keeping it simple (with a priority switch) has been grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,072 ✭✭✭✭KCross

yop wrote: »
    Lads,
    Just on the "Depends what you need from your charger".
    So I assume that we look at tethered, untethered and that it can charge up to xKw?

For the uneducated (me!) what are the key features a charger should have based on your own experiences.

Other considerations which are all personal choice....

App support
    Solar PV integration
    Aestethics
    Price

But the two you listed are the primary ones you really need to get right.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

liamog wrote: »
    My own experience is that a simple charge point is good enough and let the cars handle scheduling, but I don't have solar PV, so keeping it simple (with a priority switch) has been grand.

Same as, 4 years in and never a bother, with a "dumb" charge point there's also a hell of a lot less to go wrong

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

liamog wrote: »

I'm gonna say the opposite that I'd prefer a charger with scheduling built in, although you could do this with one of those rotary timer switches and keep it simple.

The reason being that if you ever have to plug into public AC then you need to remember to disable the charge timer in the car, and of the 3 or 4 times I had to do this I forgot on at least 2 of them and was left with less battery than I'd planned :(

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭C@t

Nope.

Got on to EO Support by twitter then email and they said they've done a reboot of our box from their end, that worked.

Have asked of BB issues in our estate this morning could have caused this (would not have thought that they should)?

I’ve been getting the same error as you, worked fine for a few weeks but for the last few weeks I have to reset the WiFi in the app (Update WiFi Network under Settings and then manually start the charge) every time I want to charge. Really annoying!
    Before installation I was told if there are any connectivity issues the smart part would be by-passed, but looks like it’s the opposite!

Did you have any luck getting on to EI/KN about it? I’m considering asking them to come back and disconnect the smart home box..

• Advertisement

I'm gonna say the opposite that I'd prefer a charger with scheduling built in, although you could do this with one of those rotary timer switches and keep it simple.

The reason being that if you ever have to plug into public AC then you need to remember to disable the charge timer in the car, and of the 3 or 4 times I had to do this I forgot on at least 2 of them and was left with less battery than I'd planned :(

Fair enough point that and I've been there unfortunately.

So is there a "bog standard", tethered, 11kw (is that right?) with a simple scheduler built in available.

I'm sure someone will tell me to pOss off and google it soon ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Does it make any odds if you use 6 quare or 10 square cable, think I'd prefer the 10 just as I'm assuming it's harder wearing, cable will be mainly inside.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Does it make any odds if you use 6 quare or 10 square cable, think I'd prefer the 10 just as I'm assuming it's harder wearing, cable will be mainly inside.

Cost, and wire doesnt "wear out", If you wanted a harder wearing cable, improve the protection on it ie Armoured etc

* if you have a really long run, you may need a 10m2 to avoid voltage drop, but we are chatting 50-100 m here.

C@t wrote: »
    I’ve been getting the same error as you, worked fine for a few weeks but for the last few weeks I have to reset the WiFi in the app (Update WiFi Network under Settings and then manually start the charge) every time I want to charge. Really annoying!
    Before installation I was told if there are any connectivity issues the smart part would be by-passed, but looks like it’s the opposite!

Did you have any luck getting on to EI/KN about it? I’m considering asking them to come back and disconnect the smart home box..

EI didn't give a **** and referred me to EO.

TBH if I knew then what I knoe now and the cheaper non smart EO charger was available through EI I would have gone for that and saved €300 I think it is.

At €1099 for unthered it's not actually that smart at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I'd say 14meters max, I meant as in damaged not wore out. It's running down where I know forks, shovels that kind of thing could be thrown on it.
    Other bits I'm getting are a 40amp rcbo type A and 40amp isolator.
    Can I have the isolator inside behind where the charger is going? Basically behind the garage door.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

I'd say 14meters max, I meant as in damaged not wore out. It's running down where I know forks, shovels that kind of thing could be thrown on it.
    Can I have the isolator inside behind where the charger is going? Basically behind the garage door.

No idea on the isolator

But if it's going in the ground, swa armoured for sure. 6 would be fine, 10 won't have any different protection.

As for the other question, 7kw is the max you can have on single phase 1x 32a

11kw is 3 phases at 16a

And that is dependent on the charger in the car, charge points are fancy sockets with extra safety in it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭JohnC.

The isolator has to be within a certain distance (4m I think I was told) of the unit and has to be accessible, so you can't hide it away with a door between the charge unit and the isolator.

yop wrote: »
    Fair enough point that and I've been there unfortunately.

So is there a "bog standard", tethered, 11kw (is that right?) with a simple scheduler built in available.

I'm sure someone will tell me to pOss off and google it soon ;)

Nah we're all way to polite for that :)

You'll be looking for a 7kW (or 32 Amp) charger since I'm going to guess you're in the 90% of houses that has a single phase supply.

I've been using the EO Mini for 2 years, never had issues with it. They have a newer version, the mini pro which allows control via an app, it can probably do times charging as well

Alternatives that I know of are Zappi and Wallbox, but they might be more than you need.

As I said, you can always slap a rotary timer on the charger for a budget solution

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭meercat

JohnC. wrote: »
    The isolator has to be within a certain distance (4m I think I was told) of the unit and has to be accessible, so you can't hide it away with a door between the charge unit and the isolator.

Within 2m and accessible (as you rightly pointed out)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Go with SWA so.

Why a type A RCBO?

Advertisement