Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain piss off and get on with Brexit II (mod warning in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

loughside wrote: »
    Aye, think i`ll take my chances with that chicken over Irish beef riddled with angel dust.

What do ya think??

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/27-cattle-test-positive-for-angel-dust-in-co-monaghan-case/

I may clash sometimes with other posters but I believe Irish beef is well managed and Ireland is right to be proud of it`s beef and dairy herds.I also quite like Monaghan so the fact the angel dust was detected is testament to Ireland`s responsible methods.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,506 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Seems from todays events the eu wants a hard border- its now up to them to create one - in RoI.

It is the UK that reneging on the WA!
    Good luck to them trying to sell that to the Irish- whom incidentally are slowly waking up to the fact the Big Time Charlie T-shirt has sold them short.

The Irish know what is going on, they can read both UK and Irish papers and are well aware of how the UK has treated NI and Ireland throughout this process.
    RoI is about to become very isolated indeed,

Geographically, yes it is going to feel like that. Luckily, over the last 40 years or so, thank in large part to the EU, we have spread our wings such that we are no longer so dependent on the UK. Technology has also moved considerably meaning that geography is less of an issue than it used to be, particularly for a service based economy that we have become and we have worked very hard to sell our agriculture to new and high value markets.
    add to that the doubled contributions and harmonised CT rates....hmmmm

The future of RoI as a member is not looking rosy.

Ireland has a Veto over that and since the EU has already lost the UK I doubt that the EU will be doing anything to place the membership of other members in doubt in the coming years.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

GazzaL wrote: »
    I would encourage individuals and businesses to avoid buying British where possible. There are lots of great Irish and fellow EUropean businesses to support instead.

It's unfortunate and regrettable that we've gone from arguably the best period of Irish-British relations to the current state of affairs in such a short space of time, but we've seen the anti-Irish rhetoric throughout the Brexit debacle. Many British businesses still haven't got a clue about the realities of Brexit, particularly in relation to tariffs, contracts and data protection, you might as well be talking to the wall.

I wouldn’t bother being Anti British business for nationalistic standpoints but for the sheer unreliability and currency fluctuations you’d have to be mad not to be seriously developing alternatives. This isnt a country you can trade safely and maturely with and comes with massive risks built in. Such a pity as I believe fully in free trade and countries trading with one another under fair on same level pitch rules. Clearly the current U.K. inc doesn’t and throws childish temper tantrums at any that suggests otherwise. Time to move on from this farce.
    Like an alcoholic determined to pickle their livers there only so much talking you can do, comes a point where you let them go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

LOL!! Erm, the people up north as you put it are the UK,
    anyway the ROI produce nothing that the UK needs, the ROI are utterly dependent of goods from outside, when the EU shafts you with Corporation Tax and Microsoft et al move to N.I or GB you`re in for a rude awakening.
    you dont know your history mate, we have been shafted by the english more times than I can count, The EU have helped make Ireland the great country it is today, we will be fine, but I think the mainland will be finished, but it will make an ideal location to shoot the next Mad max movie

I think you mean the uk is about to become very isolated mate, after the crap of the last few days no country will trust them again

What was left of their supposed reputation has been flushed down the bog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

Hey lads, from your last few posts...

Stockholm Syndrome is alive and well !!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,139 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Cork_Guest wrote: »
    Not sure how that helps in any way, she’s got a losing horse in the presidential race and a trade deal doesn’t go anywhere near her house for ratification.

There are strong cross party support and links for Irish issues in DC. She is the one making those noises now because she is the one who currently holds the sway.

Not sure where you are getting your info about a ratification from

you dont know your history mate, we have been shafted by the english more times than I can count, The EU have helped make Ireland the great country it is today, we will be fine, but I think the mainland will be finished, but it will make an ideal location to shoot the next Mad max movie

What’s telling really is how little real panic there is in Ireland re brexit hard or otherwise. The main concern centres around the border and not wanting a return to the Troubles. Accounts for approx 10% of Ireland’s exports, we buy a lot more off the U.K. than the other way round for historical reasons. If they want to jump off a cliff at this stage I say let them off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

road_high wrote: »
    I wouldn’t bother being Anti British business for nationalistic standpoints but for the sheer unreliability and currency fluctuations you’d have to be mad not to be seriously developing alternatives. This isnt a country you can trade safely and maturely with and comes with massive risks built in. Such a pity as I believe fully in free trade and countries trading with one another under fair on same level pitch rules. Clearly the current U.K. inc doesn’t and throws childish temper tantrums at any that suggests otherwise. Time to move on from this farce.
    Like an alcoholic determined to pickle their livers there only so much talking you can do, comes a point where you let them go

I buy both goods and services from the UK. The goods will be subject to tariffs and increased handling costs. The services will require contractual clauses to comply with GDPR, reasonably straightforward, but the UK service providers have buried their heads in the sand and are telling me that's my problem. Thankfully I have alternatives to both.

I buy both goods and services from the UK. The goods will be subject to tariffs and increased handling costs. The services will require contractual clauses to comply with GDPR, reasonably straightforward, but the UK service providers have buried their heads in the sand and are telling me that's my problem. Thankfully I have alternatives to both.

Yes I don’t think they get it really. The implications of leaving a completely free trade area to WTO terms is absolutely massive- result is it becomes semi impossible to trade under them- especially when you compare alternatives it becomes a no brainer.

• Advertisement

What’s telling really is how little real panic there is in Ireland re brexit hard or otherwise. The main concern centres around the border and not wanting a return to the Troubles. Accounts for approx 10% of Ireland’s exports, we buy a lot more off the U.K. than the other way round for historical reasons. If they want to jump off a cliff at this stage I say let them off

A study by HSBC showed just 43% of Irish businesses saw Britain as 'an important trade partner' in 2019, down from 73% in 2018. Most Irish businesses in that survey were forecasting significant sales growth, and it showed that the Irish are focused on opening up new markets. Brexit has already done irreparable damage in this respect.

you dont know your history mate, we have been shafted by the english more times than I can count, /QUOTE]

YOU clearly don`t know what happened a couple of years ago mate never mind history

Who bailed out your basket case of a country as it was about to go down the bog?? Yep, you remember now don`t you, no banging on then on how awful the british were when you brought out the begging bowl.
    Read this if in fact you`ve forgotten -> https://www.theguardian.com/business/2010/nov/22/ireland-bailout-uk-lends-seven-billion

A study by HSBC showed just 43% of Irish businesses saw Britain as 'an important trade partner' in 2019, down from 73% in 2018. Most Irish businesses in that survey were forecasting significant sales growth, and it showed that the Irish are focused on opening up new markets. Brexit has already done irreparable damage in this respect.

Why would you go back? Unless you had a severe punishment complex!
    More over the currency volatility is a real killer

• Registered Users Posts: 19,139 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

you dont know your history mate, we have been shafted by the english more times than I can count,

YOU clearly don`t know what happened a couple of years ago mate never mind history

Who helped bailed out your basket case of a country as it was about to go down the bog?? Yep, you remember now don`t you, no banging on then on how awful the british were when you brought out the begging bowl.
    Read this if in fact you`ve forgotten -> https://www.theguardian.com/business/2010/nov/22/ireland-bailout-uk-lends-seven-billion

UK gave Ireland a loan because the UK banks were on the hook for so much if the Irish government ran out of funding

Why would you go back? Unless you had a severe punishment complex!
    More over the currency volatility is a real killer

That's it. I could've bought significant amounts from UK suppliers over the last 2 years, but I held off because of the various cliff edges. I didn't see the point in buying from them if I'd have to drop them in a few months.

Currency fluctuations could become a bigger issue. It already can be a pain in the backside, particularly where margins are tight. Very unattractive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭joeguevara

So joe pray tell what things aren`t true?

@seth: No, couldn`t care less re. Irexit,

None of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

you dont know your history mate, we have been shafted by the english more times than I can count, /QUOTE]

Who bailed out your basket case of a country as it was about to go down the bog?? Yep, you remember now don`t you, no banging on then on how awful the british were when you brought out the begging bowl.
    The tan loan was interest bearing and only 1/20 of the EU loan

The tan loan :pac:

UK gave Ireland a loan because the UK banks were on the hook for so much if the Irish government ran out of funding

It was a bit more than that. Property rates in London would have nose dived if Irish banks had been liquidated and been forced in to a fire sale. The U.K. had also spent a fortune bailing out RBS, due in no small part to the massive debt Ulsterbank had racked up on Irish property, so getting the Irish economy working again was in their best interests.

The tan loan :pac:

What is a tan loan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Aegir wrote: »
    What is a tan loan?

a loan from tans

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭fash

And then - unlike every other lender - refused to accept early pay back of the loan so that they could continue to leach off Ireland on their high interest loans. Sounds more like a parasite than a friend.

a loan from tans

Is that what the micks called it? I hadn’t heard that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

What is a tan loan?

Fake Tan. It goes away after a few days

fash wrote: »
    And then - unlike every other lender - refused to accept early pay back of the loan so that they could continue to leach off Ireland on their high interest loans. Sounds more like a parasite than a friend.

Errr, no.

All the loans had clauses which meant that if Ireland paid back the IMF loan it would have had to repay a substantial part of the U.K. loan. The U.K. (and the Eu, Denmark and Sweden) agreed to waive this so that Ireland could repay the IMF loan early and get out of their clutches.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Is that what the micks called it? I hadn’t heard that.

the micks. LOL. you're funny

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The British are playing a blinder here. The ultimatum of a physical border on the island of Ireland is something that no Irish Government can agree to, otherwise Micheal will be joining another famous Cork Micheal that was assassinated by his own.

So essentially the EU will have to shaft Ireland. The EU can't be seen to shaft Ireland either. They found the weak spot and will exploit it.

Irish government and EU are coming out with buzz words like "trust" and "confidence". It is all meaningless marketing speak. It means nothing. There are plenty of countries around the world with trade agreements that don't trust each other. USA and China have a trade agreement. Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union had a trade agreement FFS :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,506 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

If they are your two best examples I am not sure you are making the case you think you are.

...and the EU loan was also made up of what?.... yes??.. bit slow but you got it... the British taxpayers contributions!!

So in reality you have to wind yer neck in and be doubly thankful to the British! ;)

• Advertisement

The British are playing a blinder here. The ultimatum of a physical border on the island of Ireland is something that no Irish Government can agree to, otherwise Micheal will be joining another famous Cork Micheal that was assassinated by his own.

So essentially the EU will have to shaft Ireland. The EU can't be seen to shaft Ireland either. They found the weak spot and will exploit it.

Irish government and EU are coming out with buzz words like "trust" and "confidence". It is all meaningless marketing speak. It means nothing. There are plenty of countries around the world with trade agreements that don't trust each other. USA and China have a trade agreement. Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union had a trade agreement FFS :pac:

... and that`s about the long and short of it as it stands

Advertisement