Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut Megathread.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,277 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Seems to be a few issues this morning, noted on tbeir website.

If someone sends me a link to claim funds from their Revolut, why does it not show in my app, its asking me to put in my mobile phone number then create a new account?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

talkabout wrote: »
    Topping up Revolut is free from a Debit Card and the just transfer to N26, no charge either side and its in your N26 in seconds.

Do revolut not have sepa instant?

I think traditional banks are a long long way from offering anything close to what Revolut offers. Not even the other fine tech banks like N26 haven’t pulled it off as good as Revolut have.

Legacy banks here are talking to each other about combining efforts and resources to fight the likes of Revolut.

Is behind a paywall but a clip of today's Business Post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Legacy banks here are talking to each other about combining efforts and resources to fight the likes of Revolut.

Prob won't be allowed again due to competion law Revolut could complain they have an unfair advantage & that would screw that than.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Legacy Irish banks need to move from the dark ages and start offering some proper modern tech and less fees so they can compete. The likes of KBC and N26 will wipe the floor with them

Legacy Irish banks need to move from the dark ages and start offering some proper modern tech and less fees so they can compete. The likes of KBC and N26 will wipe the floor with them

True, but even with an injection of tech the legacy banks are like a lot of old businesses (Dublin Bus, Irish Rail, An Post, Aer Lingus among others). They have a their historical baggage, the benefit Revolut, Starling and N26 have is they are building from the ground up. There's no way you would a bank today based on the way AIB or BOI is staffed or operated.

Re whether the banks getting together to pool tech spend and resources, thats not really anti competitive as they still have to deliver a product to the market and even with the best will in the world they are behind the curve for the reasons above.

As for wiping the floor, irish consumers as a whole are lazy/slow to switch service providers compared to other countries. These latest BOI increases might increase that but people here appear to like to bitch about fees but not actually move.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Quintis

Quintis wrote: »
    Anyone notice Touch ID is no longer available on IOS after the latest update?

Seems to be an issue with the latest update, app needs to be deleted and reinstalled to re-activate Touch ID

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

Thanks for posting.

Hopefully their "joint venture to speed up payments" is about supporting SEPA instant, rather than an Ireland-specific reinvention of the wheel.

They're also going to need to do more than just play catch-up with payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭timetogo1

I know a couple of guys working for one of the bigger banks here. From the way they tell me stuff is run, the upstarts have nothing to worry about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Changing phone number... how do you get revolut to update this. Do you need a new account

Changing phone number... how do you get revolut to update this. Do you need a new account

https://www.revolut.com/business/help/profile/can-i-change-my-phone-number

• Site Banned Posts: 280 ✭✭CertifiedSimp

It says 1 free cross border each month.

I assume this doesn't mean contactles or chip and pin abroad.

Is the contactless/low fx fee limitless abroad?

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭username?!

Does anyone have experience with Revolut to UK bank transfer?

Both the bank and Revolut are part of the UK "Faster Payments" and it mentions the payments are instant if not within 2 hours.

I'm buying a car in the UK tomorrow and plan to do the transfer after viewing the car. I don't want to end up hanging around or worse still not being able to take the car due to payment not being recieved.

Any input would be great.

Just did a transfer from Revolut to N26....was instant :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,169 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

username?! wrote: »
    Does anyone have experience with Revolut to UK bank transfer?

Both the bank and Revolut are part of the UK "Faster Payments" and it mentions the payments are instant if not within 2 hours.

I'm buying a car in the UK tomorrow and plan to do the transfer after viewing the car. I don't want to end up hanging around or worse still not being able to take the car due to payment not being recieved.

Any input would be great.

Unless the amount triggers an account review/block by revolut the payment should be there quickly.

• Administrators Posts: 53,561 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Mr.S wrote: »
    Fees, is probably the biggest one they need to overcome.

It's a no brainer to use Revolut when abroad vs your legacy bank where you get a worse exchange rate, and a foreign transaction fee ontop.

App wise, I have to say Revolut is nothing to write home about - especially the god-awul new layout. Much prefer AIB's. But I do like Revolut's app features like vaults.

Will be interesting to see how the banks react once Revolut get their Irish banking license and use it.

Agreed, I bank with AIB. If AIB allowed me some free exchanges every month, and had a vault feature, I wouldn't bother with Revolut.

I see no value in the premium / metal plans, they are just not worth it. This will be a problem for them eventually as they cannot remain loss making forever. Apparently they are trying to make a profit this year, but I will believe it when I see it.

I suspect at some point the free offering will change.

I’m not familiar with AIB as I bank with EBS (and BoI until recently) who don’t have an app but I use features like instant Revolut to Revolut transfers on a daily basis, used split bill and request money a lot when we were going to pubs and restaurants, Face ID to log in, Apple Pay, instantly add beneficiaries none of the messing you have to do with traditional banks on getting confirmation codes. Multiple currency wallets, vaults, shares, built in currency converter so you know what your rates are, no limits on transfers etc etc.

I could see no reason to use any traditional bank as my main day to day bank account. I don’t even think any of the other fine tech banks are close to Revolut.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,174 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I'm astounded how none of the banks here yet have an app with similar functionality to Revolut, sure I think there's even only 1 that you can use Android/Apple pay with?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I’m not familiar with AIB as I bank with EBS (and BoI until recently) who don’t have an app but I use features like instant Revolut to Revolut transfers on a daily basis, used split bill and request money a lot when we were going to pubs and restaurants, Face ID to log in, instantly add beneficiaries none of the messing you have to do with traditional banks on getting confirmation codes. Multiple currency wallets, vaults, shares, built in currency converter so you know what your rates are, no limits on transfers etc etc.

I could see no reason to use any traditional bank as my main day to day bank account. I don’t even think any of the other fine tech banks are close to Revolut.

My bank in Holland has all of that except the vaults and multiple currency wallets. And i know some of the dutch banks have vaults as well. Irish banks are a bit behind but they will catch up. Revolut will get more expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,561 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Hurrache wrote: »
    I'm astounded how none of the banks here yet have an app with similar functionality to Revolut, sure I think there's even only 1 that you can use Android/Apple pay with?

AIB, Ulster Bank and KBC all support Apple pay and presumably Android.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,174 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

BOI and PTSB still lagging behind so. Poor form these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Hurrache wrote: »
    BOI and PTSB still lagging behind so. Poor form these days.

BOI do finally have Google Pay but too little too late for many.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Amouar

I thought that Revolut's FX limit for standard users will be 1000 Euros starting from this month, but I do see that the limit is still 6000 Euros in my account. Did I miss anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

It was supposed to start some time in August, but it seems it didn't happen. I still have a €6000 limit too.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭msmx5

carrotcake wrote: »
    It was supposed to start some time in August, but it seems it didn't happen. I still have a €6000 limit too.

Ditto, same here €6k

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Has anyone found a way to lodge money from a credit union

I tried and said some issue with IBAN or BIC

• Moderators Posts: 6,857 ✭✭✭Spocker

jeffk wrote: »
    Has anyone found a way to lodge money from a credit union

I tried and said some issue with IBAN or BIC

How did you ty and make the transfer? In-branch or via the CUs website?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Spocker wrote: »
    How did you ty and make the transfer? In-branch or via the CUs website?

On their website, they have a add a payee option

Is a community credit union, I know they're different ones with different Web pages etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭_Godot_

With the new update (I'm in the beta), despite having haptic feedback turned off for everything in settings, it now vibrates when I put my passcode in. Very annoying for me.

Advertisement