Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut Megathread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

I’m off to Belfast for a few days break .
    I’m going to top you my Revolut with a few hundred euro to cover me for beer/ grub/ general day to day spending .

When I top up in euro , should I leave it in euro or should I convert the whole lot to sterling and pay that way ?
    What’s the best option ?
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

andrew1977 wrote: »
    I’m going to top you my Revolut with a few hundred euro to cover me for beer/ grub/ general day to day spending .

When I top up in euro , should I leave it in euro or should I convert the whole lot to sterling and pay that way ?
    What’s the best option ?
    Thanks

Leave it in Euro, it'll convert as you spend

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

jeffk wrote: »
    Has anyone found a way to lodge money from a credit union

I tried and said some issue with IBAN or BIC
    I semi-regularly top up my Revolut account by EFT from my credit union account using the cuAnywhere app. Typically takes less than 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭jeffk

Quackster wrote: »
    I semi-regularly top up my Revolut account by EFT from my credit union account using the cuAnywhere app. Typically takes less than 24 hours.

I went back in to see and there is a Revolut in as a payment , but there's either the IBAN, BIC or both now in the name, I just named it Revolut

Tried sending 50,least I know takes less than a day thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Convert it before the weekend. If you leave it convert as you go then the rates are higher at the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭adam88

Unless exchange rates take some mad swings.

The dollar is after weakening lately and I’m hoping to be there for paddy’s so I took a gamble and bought a bit of it trying to capture in the good rates there at the moment but in the main stay rates aren’t going to change drastically and what a lad would be spending on a lads weekend it’s not that much

Unless exchange rates take some mad swings.

The dollar is after weakening lately and I’m hoping to be there for paddy’s so I took a gamble and bought a bit of it trying to capture in the good rates there at the moment but in the main stay rates aren’t going to change drastically and what a lad would be spending on a lads weekend it’s not that much

• Registered Users Posts: 10,185 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

andrew1977 wrote: »

What’s the best option ?
    Thanks

Personally, I’d change before you go. If you’re budgeting, you’ll always be trying to work out the price in Euro if you leave it

However if you have a sterling wallet of £xxx you’ll have a much handier sense of what you’ve spent and what’s left

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭SB71

Have many on here just closed their bank account and get their salary paid into Revolut?i have Revolut premium and rarely use my bank anymore except to transfer money into my Revolut account.

Just wondering if anyone uses it as their sole bank and of encountered any issues?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

SB71 wrote: »
    Have many on here just closed their bank account and get their salary paid into Revolut?i have Revolut premium and rarely use my bank anymore except to transfer money into my Revolut account.

Just wondering if anyone uses it as their sole bank and of encountered any issues?

Wouldn't think there would be any issues but i wouldn't personally lodge my salary into Revolut...saying that as a day 1 Revolut user!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭ooter

Is anyone having log in issues on the app at the moment?
    Keeps telling me I'm putting in the wrong pin but I'm not and I can't contact them unless I ring the uk number and I would prefer not to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭Doge

Just spotted that AIB charge 20 cent per revolut top up and I've racked up a large fees bill for the last quarter.
    I use my aib debit card to top up.

Is there anyway of avoiding this without changing my bank or making larger top ups to revolut?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Pacifico wrote: »
    Wouldn't think there would be any issues but i wouldn't personally lodge my salary into Revolut...saying that as a day 1 Revolut user!

Have moved all my direct debits and linkages (amazon, PayPal etc) to Revolut and planning to get month end salary paid to N26 (as it has bankINg licence and my savings there), will fund Revolut once a month and after 20 odd years closs my BOI shortly.

BoI will then just have my credit card and if N26 start using as I think I read they would, that will be moved too.

Sick of BOI constant archaic systems, they'll always be behind the 8 ball.

Pacifico wrote: »

why wouldnt you?

im sick of getitng fleeced by Ulster bank on fees so im strongly considering binning them for good.

• Moderators Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Spocker

Doge wrote: »
    Just spotted that AIB charge 20 cent per revolut top up and I've racked up a large fees bill for the last quarter.

Is there anyway of avoiding this without changing my bank or making larger top ups to revolut?

Use SEPA transfers instead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

why wouldnt you?

im sick of getitng fleeced by Ulster bank on fees so im strongly considering binning them for good.

They could shut up shop tomorrow with no notice...your money isn't guaranteed in anyway.

I use Revolut for all my day to day spending but rarely keep more then €100 on it. Thankfully i have free banking with PTSB so don't have a reason to close my main account and use Revolut for the App and Apple pay

• Registered Users Posts: 9,431 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Keep a balance of €2500 in your AIB current account instead of a savings account to qualify for free banking. Well worth it even if all you're saving is the €4.50 quarterly fee considering there's next to no interest in savings at the moment.

• Administrators Posts: 53,459 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

TheChizler wrote: »
    Keep a balance of €2500 in your AIB current account instead of a savings account to qualify for free banking. Well worth it even if all you're saving is the €4.50 quarterly fee considering there's next to no interest in savings at the moment.

They're getting rid of that in a few months.

awec wrote: »
    They're getting rid of that in a few months.

Close your account is the answer so!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭Doge

Spocker wrote: »
    Use SEPA transfers instead

I have charges that say "SEPA credits" which are 20 cent a pop also.
    Looks like I need to move banks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 norbias

I usually transfer money once a week to save on charges in AIB

Other option is to setup standing order for spending money to be transferred every week.

What are Ulster bank charging for REVOLUT top ups

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

why wouldnt you?

No bank guarantee if anything goes wrong with them.

No bank guarantee if anything goes wrong with them.

But as as been said multiple time’s your money is ring fenced into accounts in UK banks. They won’t and they can’t just keep your money. He scaremongering around Revolut “going bust and taking your money” is growing tiresome.

The chances of something going wrong is close to non-existent to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

But as as been said multiple time’s your money is ring fenced into accounts in UK banks. They won’t and they can’t just keep your money. He scaremongering around Revolut “going bust and taking your money” is growing tiresome.

The chances of something going wrong is close to non-existent to begin with.

No offence but anyone who takes financial advice from you needs their head examined.

Didn't you recently advise people to put money in Nexo (a spectacular house of cards where the crash will be spectacular) and state that credit unions are a ponzi scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I top up Revolut using Apple Pay from my AIB account. I could be wrong but I think it’s free for these types as they fall under contactless payments. So maybe that would be an option?

DubDJ wrote: »
    I top up Revolut using Apple Pay from my AIB account. I could be wrong but I think it’s free for these types as they fall under contactless payments. So maybe that would be an option?

Unless you're in a shop Apple Pay counts as a regular debit transaction.

No offence but anyone who takes financial advice from you needs their head examined.

Didn't you recently advise people to put money in Nexo (a spectacular house of cards where the crash will be spectacular) and state that credit unions are a ponzi scheme?

Yes I did and I have a large sum of money in Nexo myself. The scaremongering around it is laughable, it’s an established a company and doing very well. Just paid out a big dividend to nexo token holders on top of the 8% interest paid on just leaving a balance.

I also didn’t call the credit unions a Ponzi scheme, you are the second person unable read my post at the time and accuse me of saying that.

What I said in response to someone calling Nexo a Ponzi scheme was that Nexo was no more of a Ponzi scheme than a credit union - i.e. neither are Ponzi schemes.

I highly doubt Revolut will go bust if anything they'll continue to grow so i think ill close my Ulster Bank account and just use this as my primary account.

• Advertisement

adam88 wrote: »
    What are Ulster bank charging for REVOLUT top ups

the user said AIB not Ulster Bank.

Advertisement