Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Go-Ahead Dublin City Routes - Updates and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

devnull wrote: »
    Yep, exactly like that.

Must keep my eyes peeled for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Just seen this on the Dublin Bus & Go-Ahead Ireland Facebook group, first pic I've seen of the TFI livery on an AX!

p_haugh wrote: »
    Just seen this on the Dublin Bus & Go-Ahead Ireland Facebook group, first pic I've seen of the TFI livery on an AX!

I'm guessing these are a temporary/stop gap solution until they get some hybrids

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭ax586

GT89 wrote: »
    I'm guessing these are a temporary/stop gap solution until they get some hybrids
    GAI wont be getting hybrids this time round,as the fleet they have is very young.

ax586 wrote: »
    GAI wont be getting hybrids this time round,as the fleet they have is very young.

Yes indeed but I find it odd that they are getting fairly ancient DB buses that would otherwise likely be withdrawn

• Advertisement

Yes indeed but I find it odd that they are getting fairly ancient DB buses that would otherwise likely be withdrawn
    Cheaper than trying to source extra hybrids for them would be my guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭john boye

It's probably a short-term measure that's been sprung on them at fairly short notice. Not much chance of them getting anything much newer.

Perhaps if/when it lasts long-term they could be transferred some GT/SG types to replace the AXs when DB start getting their hybrids.

Hopefully go-ahead don't have to wait donkeys years before getting any of the hybrids however

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The hybrids have specific routes that will benefit most from them, of which GAI have very few

L1011 wrote: »
    The hybrids have specific routes that will benefit most from them, of which GAI have very few

I know in London for example the hybrids are mostly used on central routes whilst the standard diesel buses have been cascaded out to the outer suburbs. The best option for the NTA would be to transfer some more DB GTs or SGs to GAI once they receive more hybrids.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Partly it's a short term thing because the capacity of the Streetlites are not really sufficient for the routes they currently run on when social distancing is taken into account.

The AXs help overcome this.

Partly it's a short term thing because the capacity of the Streetlites are not really sufficient for the routes they currently run on when social distancing is taken into account.

The AXs help overcome this.

So will DB be keeping their AXs in service for longer than originally envisaged now also I wonder.

They should have never gotten the streetlites and just gave GAI an all double deck fleet in my opinion. The main cost of running a bus is the driver not the fuel. How much fuel saving is a Streelite making compared to a double deck I wonder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

L1011 wrote: »

Not only that, but getting to and from most of their termini out-of-service involves going up and down the M50, which might not be the most efficient use of a hybrid.

.anon. wrote: »
    Not only that, but getting to and from most of their termini out-of-service involves going up and down the M50, which might not be the most efficient use of a hybrid.

I've seen plenty of DB buses use the M50 too whilst dead running

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I can't imagine GAI getting any hybrid double deckers soon when one of their selling points was the ability to run zero emissions in the city centre. GAI will likely get quite a few of the fully electric single deckers on tender though.

By then, the new network will be in place and DB might be needing more single deckers too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Are Go-Ahead retrofitting their vehicles with white LED displays?

I've seen both an ex Dublin Bus GT and SG with them today.

Are these LEDs fitted on the front, side & back of these buses?

New extra services for Go Ahead to cater for the demand with schools coming back have been announced, which we will most likely see the AXs on - https://www.transportforireland.ie/go-ahead-ireland/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

New extra services for Go Ahead to cater for the demand with schools coming back have been announced, which we will most likely see the AXs on - https://www.transportforireland.ie/go-ahead-ireland/

This list also mentioned route 75 reverting to the direct route through dundrum, but in one direction only. This is consequent on main Street becoming one way, supposedly for the duration of the covid pandemic.

I wonder will these S routes be exclusively for school children or will ordinary members of the public be able to use them too

Gemma O'Doherty was arrested by Gardaí over the weekend after putting up anti-vax & anit mask signs and for being abusive to a Garda on a footbridge near Topaz in Kilmacanogue on the N11. This is also the terminus of the 45A/45B routes run by GAI. I would imagine the GA drivers & management would not be too happy to hear from the Gardaí that one of those signs could have had the potential to fall off the footbridge & hit their buses while they are out on duty.

She is due in court on the 21st of September. I hope she gets karma.

• Advertisement

Gemma O'Doherty was arrested by Gardaí over the weekend after putting up anti-vax & anit mask signs and for being abusive to a Garda on a footbridge near Topaz in Kilmacanogue on the N11. This is also the terminus of the 45A/45B routes run by GAI. I would imagine the GA drivers & management would not be too happy to hear from the Gardaí that one of those signs could have had the potential to fall off the footbridge & hit their buses while they are out on duty.

She is due in court on the 21st of September. I hope she gets karma.

I'd imagine they couldn't care less as it has nothing to do with them

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭d51984

Theres an alx400 type on the 17A. Paintjob on the front looks horrific. Too much yellow down the bottom.

Its a disgrace Joe!

Most of the GAI routes have returned to their normal timetables with some changes in place for some routes.

The new timetables for routes operating for school re-openings in North Dublin have also come into place since today.

More info below.

https://www.goaheadireland.ie/sunday-30th-august-timetable-changes

d51984 wrote: »
    Theres an alx400 type on the 17A. Paintjob on the front looks horrific. Too much yellow down the bottom.

They got 9 AXs from DB that were supposed to be withdrawn to provide extra capacity for social distancing now the schools are back

Why is it only GAI routes getting extra departures for schools but nothing for any DB routes

Why is it only GAI routes getting extra departures for schools but nothing for any DB routes

There's a few extras on some of the Tallaght routes.

There is one change that I noticed on the 17/17D timetable.

On Sunday mornings; the 9:40 bus which is the 17D from Dundrum Luas to Rialto has been dropped.

This means that the first 17 bus from Blackrock on Sunday will be at 9:45.

Well in terms of the N11 corridor, from today the 116, 118 & 46e are running again - and I would assume the extra peak time 47 to Belarmine that starts at the top of Nutley Lane is back running (if it wasn't already). Pre-covid, the 116/118 were always jammed with school kids from colaiste eoin & colaiste iosagain.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭d51984

Was looking at a photo of one the TFI/Go Ahead AX type bus on Darren Halls flickr. Anyone else think theres far too much yellow at the front?

IMO that little smily face bit over the headlights would look far better painted blue.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Advertisement

d51984 wrote: »
    Was looking at a photo of one the TFI/Go Ahead AX type bus on Darren Halls flickr. Anyone else think theres far too much yellow at the front?

IMO that little smily face bit over the headlights would look far better painted blue.

Yes far too much yellow. My first thought was that the blue should come up to the smiley.

Advertisement