Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A 30 KPH limit for Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭SC024

Grassey wrote: »
    Just wait until its 80km motorway limits everywhere...

-the-growing-case-for-an-80km-h-motorway-limit

sure we'll all start walking to work

Well done you.
    For reference, the tweeter has confirmed that this happened when they had a green pedestrian & cycle light and the vehicle that hit them broke a red light at a busy inner city intersection (all apparently captured on camera)...
    https://twitter.com/yascaoimhin/status/1298527182097199104

still had time to take a selfie?

Well done you.
    For reference, the tweeter has confirmed that this happened when they had a green pedestrian & cycle light and the vehicle that hit them broke a red light at a busy inner city intersection (all apparently captured on camera)...
    https://twitter.com/yascaoimhin/status/1298527182097199104

kind of proves my point no ? look left look right look left & listen ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

SC024 wrote: »
    Just to be clear, are you blaming the person crossing on green for getting hit by someone running a red. Just want to make sure, that is what you're saying. I read it, and I just want to be certain, you're implying it's the fault of the person who was hit by a red light jumper.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,895 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Rule 57 of internet commentary. It's always the victim's fault.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,420 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you mean while waiting to be knocked down?
    or do you mean that help arrived so quickly (he was hospitalised) that he didn't have time for a photo?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

So you mean we should always wait at a green man in case every approaching vehicle might break the red light?
    At what point then should people actually cross the road?

After the event.
    What's your point though?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

some people dont have the option of driving a car or getting a bus/park & ride into the city. some people need there car/van etc during the day as could be making 5/6 or more different calls during the day

Lots and lots of people drive 5km - 10km to work. Could take 15 to 30 odd minutes on a bike, but an hour plus on heavily congested roads in a car

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

At what point then should people actually cross the road?

They should be in their cars where it's safe obviously.

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    Just to be clear, are you blaming the person crossing on green for getting hit by someone running a red. Just want to make sure, that is what you're saying. I read it, and I just want to be certain, you're implying it's the fault of the person who was hit by a red light jumper.

Im not doling out blame here, what I am saying if people had some more basic common sense / personal responsibilty & actually looked before crossing a road alot of these things could be avoided. Is common sense too much to ask nowadays?

Im not doling out blame here, what I am saying if people had some more basic common sense / personal responsibilty & actually looked before crossing a road alot of these things could be avoided. Is common sense too much to ask nowadays?

Was he half way across when he was hit, just stepped out, nearly fully across. You don't know, neither do I so your comment was not really helpful. A ped crossing outside my sons school often has cars continue through on red, to the point where if you waited for cars to stop, you'd never get across. Sadly I often have to fake stepping out to scare cars into stopping, its insane.

I'd put money on it that if you came to a ped crossing which had a green light and others were crossing, you'd follow them without thinking to yourself whether some prick driver will decide to break the red light and looking each way to fully confirm.

I'd put money on it that if you came to a ped crossing which had a green light and others were crossing, you'd follow them without thinking to yourself whether some prick driver will decide to break the red light and looking each way to fully confirm.

foolish bet that lol we're not all like sheep here.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭M256

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Is that a joke? People working in docklands offices are probably the least likely demographic to be car dependant in the entire GDA, they mostly live in the city centre itself and walk or cycle or live in the inner city districts like Ranelagh and Donnybrook which are served by Luas, Dart and the bus.
    Do or did you work in the docks? I did and I talked to many people. Either they are forced to suffer long commutes on public transport, or find parking somewhere quite far away and walk (which costs you at least 10 euro a day) or rent expensive apartments near by. None of those options are particularly pleasant. Commute to the docks is just monumental waste of time.

And somehow contrary to your statement, city center and the docks are full of traffic. Where are all those people driving?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

M256 wrote: »
    Do or did you work in the docks? I did and I talked to many people. Either they are forced to suffer long commutes on public transport, or find parking somewhere quite far away and walk (which costs you at least 10 euro a day) or rent expensive apartments near by. None of those options are particularly pleasant. Commute to the docks is just monumental waste of time.

And somehow contrary to your statement, city center and the docks are full of traffic. Where are all those people driving?
    The city *is* full if traffic tho, not necessarily caused by those mentioned there. And that experience tally's with mine- most people that work in the area live close enough or commute by rail/bus/bike.

A few people I know out off 100s working in that area would have driven and they would have parked in places a km or two walk away where there are still pockets of free parking.

Remember- Dublin inner city streets are ****e. Small, winding and not fit for the volume of use required of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

kenmm wrote: »
    Remember- Dublin inner city streets are ****e. Small, winding and not fit for the volume of use required of them.

Nothing wrong with the streets, everything wrong with how so many people use them.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with the streets, everything wrong with how so many people use them.

Eh? That's what I'm saying, they are not fit for the volume of usage. Did I sound too streetist or something?! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭M256

And if those offices were decentralized fewer people would be using these streets. Isn’t that obvious?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I work in the docks. Most people travel using public transport, by cycling or walking. It's undeniable.

There are small numbers of underground spaces for the select few but that's it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

And if those offices were decentralized fewer people would be using these streets. Isn’t that obvious?

Decentralise them to where?

Where people don't want to work?

I don't actually think this is a good idea. It would in fact be bad, IMO, for the environment, financially and for investment. Decentralisation costs more, pushes people towards cars as PT is not feasible. I really thing its not a good call but that's me.
    lawred2 wrote: »
    I work in the docks. Most people travel using public transport, by cycling or walking. It's undeniable.

There are small numbers of underground spaces for the select few but that's it.
    I both lived there and, have family and friends who work there. Car usage in the area is actually non existent in terms of workers commuting in, that traffic is mainly through traffic and also, its not that much traffic, it just seems like it is because it takes up so much space with single occupier vehicles. One bus load of people (pre COVID 19) on the quays, is the equivalent of a tail back from Spencer Dock to the point in single occupier vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Agreed, I've yet to come across a 30km/h on a main road, and I dare say it will be interesting when I do even just to see if it's possible to maintain such a low speed on a main thoroughfare for any length of time. Will people overtake, will they get restless with the pedal, will cyclists whizz past with a smirk?

30km/h in housing estates is good news though.

Drive in any major eu city and there will be 30/40 kmph limits all over, even on what works out as a main road in Dublin.

It's easy enough to maintain.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,420 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

will cyclists wizz past with a smirk?
    very hard to urinate while maintaining 30km/h+

anyway, why are motorists so concerned about this? most commuting cyclists cycle below 30km/h.

...anyway, why are motorists so concerned about this? most commuting cyclists cycle below 30km/h.

Concerned because of the practice of trying to maintain 30km/h on main roads, quite tricky to do for any length of time, specially on a road that was designed for much greater speeds.

i meant concerned that cyclists might be able to do 30km/h.
    it's a moot point.

Concerned because of the practice of trying to maintain 30km/h on main roads, quite tricky to do for any length of time, specially on a road that was designed for much greater speeds.

If its hard to maintain 30/35 then its probably time to give up driving. Seriously. Its annoying, yes, it feels slow, yes, but its not hard to do.

kenmm wrote: »
    If its hard to maintain 30/35 then its probably time to give up driving. Seriously. Its annoying, yes, it feels slow, yes, but its not hard to do.

You obviously haven't been behind the wheel for a long time, if ever?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭Allinall

You obviously haven't been behind the wheel for a long time, if ever?

What do you mean by "hard"?

Is it that it's mentally hard, or a physical difficulty with the controls of the car?

Advertisement