Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A 30 KPH limit for Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Joey321 wrote: »
    @magic., can you tell me that traffic is not worse now in the city centre than it was three years ago?

The point is that it has been deliberately made worse and now having made it as bad as possible they are forcing a bicycle/ CIE solution on everyone. So you got what you wanted. Everyone here thinks its great. Lets see how it goes

• Registered Users Posts: 3 TowerofBabel

It is a daft idea because at 30 mph you could not get out from a secondary road onto a main road during peak times unless there were lights or some motorist on the main road obliged and stopped to let you out. This is because there would never be any gaps because everyone would be doing 30 mph or slower. There would just be a continuous stream of slow moving traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭micar

Truthvader wrote: »
    . Even if it does show up you then have to negotiate the hostile driver who wont give you change and then squash into the cold wet Covid 19 petri dish to be dropped off wherever CIE think you might like to go. Thats the reality informing the mindset to take the car every time.

Dublin bus hasn't given back change in years.

They give you a receipt which you can go into Dublin Bus on O'Connell street and claim back.

Very easy to buy a Leap Card which you can top up.

Only need to find out the cost of the fair.....easy to determine using the DB App or just asking the Driver.

Don't think I've ever come across a hostile driver.

The bus stops are all pre determined. You just need to figure out where to get off.

Finally, wear a mask.

You're trying to make it as difficult as possible which it isn't

Alternatively....cycle.

At this time , I would not get on a bus....bike all the way.

I cycle to work.....25 mins each way. Much much quicker than any bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭bb1234567

M256 wrote: »
    The solution to city center traffic is simple - stop putting more and more offices into the docks, create business parks outside of Dublin.

Is that a joke? People working in docklands offices are probably the least likely demographic to be car dependant in the entire GDA, they mostly live in the city centre itself and walk or cycle or live in the inner city districts like Ranelagh and Donnybrook which are served by Luas, Dart and the bus.

It is a daft idea because at 30 mph you could not get out from a secondary road onto a main road during peak times unless there were lights or some motorist on the main road obliged and stopped to let you out. This is because there would never be any gaps because everyone would be doing 30 mph or slower. There would just be a continuous stream of slow moving traffic.

First post...welcome to boards.

But, ....what nonsense.

Its 30 km p/h not 30 m p/h.

30 miles = 48 km

Around school starting and ending, there are loads of kids on the road, ..... surely then is the time to be driving slower.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,545 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

right. so gaps only appear in traffic which is moving faster than 30km/h. okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,295 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Good grief

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Just wait until its 80km motorway limits everywhere...

-the-growing-case-for-an-80km-h-motorway-limit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Grassey wrote: »
    Just wait until its 80km motorway limits everywhere...

-the-growing-case-for-an-80km-h-motorway-limit

Paywall- what's the angle? Environmental?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,545 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, it's manchan magan from the irish times, main benefits argued are environmental.

• Advertisement

I think we are a long way off 80 kmph motorways. Probably more likely to have semi auto driving more widely available where you will join a self driving convoy and gave no control on speed.

kenmm wrote: »
    I think we are a long way off 80 kmph motorways. Probably more likely to have semi auto driving more widely available where you will join a self driving convoy and gave no control on speed.

Dunno a lot of enthusiasm here for any measure that gets car owners. Suspect most have not managef to get a car of their own so no idea how slow 30km per hour is. They will be quite happy to turn the three hour trip to Clare into a 6 hour journey

Dunno a lot of enthusiasm here for any measure that gets car owners. Suspect most have not managef to get a car of their own so no idea how slow 30km per hour is. They will be quite happy to turn the three hour trip to Clare into a 6 hour journey

Not the same really city centre Vs motorway.

Don't think people are out to get car owners, and a lot would be cyclists and car owners. I'd say a lot of the cyclist own bikes more expensive than car owners cars as well so the 'managed to get a car of their own' just comes across as petty baiting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Beltby

Not the same really city centre Vs motorway.

Don't think people are out to get car owners, and a lot would be cyclists and car owners. I'd say a lot of the cyclist own bikes more expensive than car owners cars as well so the 'managed to get a car of their own' just comes across as petty baiting.

You don't get raped to death taxing, insuring and fuelling a bicycle.

Beltby wrote: »
    You don't get raped to death taxing, insuring and fuelling a bicycle.

And?

It's actually worse value mile on mile as I need to insure and tax a car I hardly use, pay insurance on a bike and that's on top of a Fu(k load of income tax.

I suppose if you only have a car you are getting more bang for your buck as it were.

Suspect most have not managef to get a car of their own so no idea how slow 30km per hour is.
    au contraire, i cycle at 30km/h on average so know exactly how fast it is, much better than most motorists.
    one thing i can tell you is that it's faster than city centre traffic in dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

au contraire, i cycle at 30km/h on average so know exactly how fast it is, much better than most motorists.
    one thing i can tell you is that it's faster than city centre traffic in dublin.

The Dublin cyclist commuter is probably much wealthier than the Dublin motorist commuter. Same as in London. They leave the expensive car outside their expensive comfortable Dublin suburban home and cycle to work on a nice racer/new electric bike. Truthvader is possibly insecure, trying to rationalise sitting in the car for hours on end each week.

And their avg speed is likely much higher than that of the motorist in the CC. There are school children leaving motorists for dusht.

And?

It's actually worse value mile on mile as I need to insure and tax a car I hardly use, pay insurance on a bike and that's on top of a Fu(k load of income tax.

I suppose if you only have a car you are getting more bang for your buck as it were.

Motorists who don't cycle simply don't get this.

Since lock down I've been working from home.

Still paid my tax and insurance in July.

I'm doing far less driving now when I was actually cycling to work.

Motorists who don't cycle don't realise that I probably pay more in motor tax and insurance on an per 1000km basis than they do.

I wish motor tax and insurance was based on a per 1000 km driven cos I'd pay fu(k all.

Only saving I'm making from reduced fuel cost

It's not just about cycling. I've been a car owner for about ten years, driving for about 25. I've not driven into work in those ten years. Did public transport for work instead for years. however, I'm lucky to live somewhere that allowed that - near DCU to leopardstown, bus and luas if on PT.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,295 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I'd be increasing motorway limits personally

• Advertisement

lawred2 wrote: »
    I'd be increasing motorway limits personally

Same probably, but doubt it will happen due to a combination of factors, mainly environmental.

They nearly done it as a vote winner in UK but u turned again- although motorways are much busier over there, so not sure how often you would get the benefit from it.

A lot of countries in EU have at least 130 on motorways and 30/40 in city centres, seems to work well from the little driving Ive done over there.

It's not just about cycling. I've been a car owner for about ten years, driving for about 25. I've not driven into work in those ten years. Did public transport for work instead for years. however, I'm lucky to live somewhere that allowed that - near DCU to leopardstown, bus and luas if on PT.

There are actually very fees times I've had to own a car. Usually rent them for out of town trips and cycle most of the other time.
    Haven't driven to work in Ireland, had to in other countries.
    Try and avoid public transport at all costs, disease ridden vessels :pac: (and that's since before COVID)

And that, except maybe down to 25/27 since my COVID belly arrived!

But more often than not I'm held up by folk that are slow or sh!t at driving..

Sp much enthusiasm. Lets see how it goes in the real world

Sp much enthusiasm. Lets see how it goes in the real world

The 30kmph limit?

It's obvious, it will be heavily policed for a few weeks then business as usual. A few roads that were put to 30 might be increased and there will be another 3, maybe 4 threads like this where the same arguments will be repeated.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭SC024

You mean when the pedestrian has a green light, traffic has a red yet several cars still speed through?
    Pedestrians should know to expect dangerous drivers all the time.

isn't look left, look right, look left & listen not a given anymore? ive a child & have drummed this into her since she started walking,

There are park and rides. Nobody is forcing anyone to drive into the city and make traffic worse. You want to drive, fine. But don't expect to be given priority over other road users.
    I love driving but it is impossible to drive with any enjoyment in Dublin. It is far, far more efficient to cycle which is why I commute by bike. However my choice of transport mode does not give wan*er drivers the right to bully me because they believe that roads are just for cars.
    Cars are the least efficient of transport mode in a city yet most people who drive one believe that they should have more rights to road space over other road users. Thankfully this selfish mindset is being forced to change.

some people dont have the option of driving a car or getting a bus/park & ride into the city. some people need there car/van etc during the day as could be making 5/6 or more different calls during the day

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

SC024 wrote: »
    isn't look left, look right, look left & listen not a given anymore? ive a child & have drummed this into her since she started walking,
    Well done you.
    For reference, the tweeter has confirmed that this happened when they had a green pedestrian & cycle light and the vehicle that hit them broke a red light at a busy inner city intersection (all apparently captured on camera)...
    https://twitter.com/yascaoimhin/status/1298527182097199104

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

SC024 wrote: »
    some people dont have the option of driving a car or getting a bus/park & ride into the city. some people need there car/van etc during the day as could be making 5/6 or more different calls during the day
    ...and what?
    Nobody is forcing you out of your vehicle. Just don't expect to have the same priority as you had before. As more people travel into the city using both public transport and active travel, it's only fair that they get priority.
    The vast majority of people who drive into the city *choose* to do so. They do not *need* to do so.

• Advertisement

I was just reading an article about the traffic control measures in grangegorman in Dublin, and one of the respondents they talked to, who was complaining about the measures, drives from stoneybatter to her job in ballymun. She's a ten minute walk from the number 4 bus which goes through ballymun. That's the mindset we need to change.

not everyone lives that close to the bus or can avail of it or it just plain doesnt work for them?

Advertisement