Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A 30 KPH limit for Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Joey321

As a mod. You know you should not cut and past stuff out of a post trying to cause a stir, you should really try harder

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Joey321 wrote: »
    Not saying you introduced the idea of them and us but there is that attitude out there and it over shadows the real issues,
    What are the real issues?
    Reforms of public transport are opposed by people who want to be able to use their cars wherever they want. Look at BusConnects for a great example of how politicians pandered to a minority of the electorate who had personal agendas.
    As a cyclist I would like to cycle through the city centre in proper cycle lanes but that's a long way off until they provide alternatives for car coming into the city and reduce the volume of cars coming in.
    The pandemic has shown that many commuters can work from home which should have a massive impact on the volume of traffic going forwards.
    There are alternatives. People just don't think they're convenient and are generally resistant to change. Either way, the car is the least efficient form of transport within a city. No excuses should allow it to have priority over public transport or active travel modes.
    Similarly, we should have much stricter punishments for drivers who flout bus lane rules, break traffic lights, etc.
    These measures of trying to force drivers not to drive into the city centre by reducing speed limits and adjusting light sequences will never work without putting proper alternatives in place first, until then there is always going to be them against us attitude.
    They are not trying to force drivers to nor drive into the city. They are trying to change the priority on the roads from the least efficient (the car with its usual single passenger) to sustainable modes such as busses and active travel. You and I as drivers are not victims in all of this!
    Lastly, the them Vs us attitude is only used by some motorists who believe they should be prioritised. This can be demonstrated in the recent disclosure that many objected to the new changes on the basis that cyclists could be faster than cars :rolleyes:

Please get real, if you think they are not trying to force drivers of the road your in another world, but force drivers off the roads by giving alternatives to them, you are clearly any moterist, all you comments are clearly towards motorests, as a cyclest both are at fault everyday on the roads not just motorists which you seem to keep point out, reduce traffic by giving alternatives and put in proper cycle lanes, don't start with half hearted efforts like this so they can say they are dealing with the issue, the issue is not been delth with, traffic is worst than ever in the city centre so what does that say??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Sorry Seth, the bus connects was not a good idea, although the revised plan is better.
    In the original plan , for example, they wanted 6 lanes on Rathgar road for example (2 bus, 2car 2 cycle) . They also wanted to remove the cycle lanes from Rathmines road.
    The net effect was to create extra capacity on these roads for cars, as buses were removed from the car lanes.

Why dont they introduce congestion charge like they do in London.
    Simple and it makes money to improve public transport.

Please get real, if you think they are not trying to force drivers of the road your in another world, but force drivers off the roads by giving alternatives to them, you are clearly any moterist, all you comments are clearly towards motorests, as a cyclest both are at fault everyday on the roads not just motorists which you seem to keep point out, reduce traffic by giving alternatives and put in proper cycle lanes, don't start with half hearted efforts like this so they can say they are dealing with the issue, the issue is not been delth with, traffic is worst than ever in the city centre so what does that say??
    You do know that "proper cycle lanes" will involve segregating the people on bikes from cars and will require more road space (I.e. taking more away from cars). Is this what you're asking for?
    Either way, the balance is changing whether you like it or not. It's not just Ireland. Other cities are doing it. Look at Paris for example (despite the French government having a vested interest in keeping cars on the roads).
    Now it's Saturday night. I'm going to have a drink and not care about people unhappy with progress for the many rather than stagnation to suit the few.

• Advertisement

Your obviously not reading the post correctly, the whole idea is to keep cars out of the city centre by givi g alternatives to people driving in from all major routs into the city, by doing that you can have more roads surface to put these cycle lanes in, not just create more congestion by doing what they are suggesting to introduce. The plan at the moment is not working either for cyclists or moterests so why make things worse by introducing more restrictive conditions, until other options are explored things will only get worse, Enjoy you drink.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Edit: wrong forum

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

... force drivers off the roads by giving alternatives to them....

That's what they are trying to do I think. The alternatives, for the average commuter are walking, cycling and (hopefully in time again) public transport. Leave driving for those with long commutes.

Looks like all mods sticking together here instead of giving there options or alternatives to the subject issue,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,623 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I would like to cycle through the city centre in proper cycle lanes but that's a long way off until they provide alternatives for car coming into the city
    okay, i'll play ball. i had wrongly assumed that my previous response to this was obviously about the contradiction inherent in this statement.
    just to be clear, the decent cycle lanes *are* an alternative to cars coming into the city.

• Advertisement

Looks like all mods sticking together here instead of giving there options or alternatives to the subject issue,
    Jesus, what other options are there? Your suggestions have proven themselves to not work.
    What is being rolled out now has shown itself to work in several countries. This has nothing to do with being a mod so take off your tinfoil hat :rolleyes:

They are an alternative for who,? Traffic is worse than ever, so they are not working, what are they doing for people who have to drive in from outside Dublin, what alternatives have they got, people have been crying out for park and rides on the major rouths coming into the city, they have provided a few but far too little, when the so called alternatives they are putting in place are making things worse they we have a major problem, not sure if you drive or cycle but that is not the issue, the issue is the problem is worse than ever by these alternatives, time to think outside the box and if we have not got the people in place to do this then we need a change of personnel at the front.

@Seth how are they working, traffic in the city centre is worse than ever

Ok we're going around in circles here.
    What alternatives have you looked into and why did you rule them out?

@Seth what suggestions have I made that are not working

@Seth, read my posts,

@Seth, maybe you can suggest some alternatives instead of just say that these alternatives work in other countries, and are clearly not working here

@Seth what suggestions have I made that are not working
    Keeping traffic structursmes the way they are.
    Car nunbers need to be reduced in order to allow sustainable modes of transport access the city.
    All of your suggestions want to keep letting cars come in until whatever alternatives are completed. You can't possibly do this.

@Seth, read my posts,
    I have.
    Why will bus not suit you?
    Why will train not suit you?
    Why will getting the luas from the red cow not suit you?
    Why will cycling not suit you?
    Why will parking in the outskirts and travelling in somehow not suit you?

@Seth, maybe you can suggest some alternatives instead of just say that these alternatives work in other countries, and are clearly not working here
    Alternatives to what? I'm not the one objecting to what they're doing!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,623 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I was just reading an article about the traffic control measures in grangegorman in Dublin, and one of the respondents they talked to, who was complaining about the measures, drives from stoneybatter to her job in ballymun. She's a ten minute walk from the number 4 bus which goes through ballymun. That's the mindset we need to change.

,the issue is the problem is worse than ever by these alternatives
    Are you saying 'despite' or 'because of'?

@Seth, As I have already said I cycle/walk all over the city, but you would want to be blind to see that these option by reducing speed limits are making things worse, look at the volume of traffic in the city, all day everyday it is getting worse, they are not providing enough park and ride facilities for people traveling in from outside Dublin, these have been asked for for years now and still only a token number have been supplied. Stop traffic before it reaches the city then you will solve the issues. This is not about me so why are you asking why all these things will not suit me, don't make it personel, it is a discussion

@magic., can you tell me that traffic is not worse now in the city centre than it was three years ago?

you would want to be blind to see that these option by reducing speed limits are making things worse, look at the volume of traffic in the city, all day everyday it is getting worse
    The first half of your statement does not support the second half in any way at all. If all traffic is moving slower than 30km/h, how can a 30km/h limit have any effect.

Yet you said it yourself. The volume it traffic is the issue.

When you combine slower speeds to adjusting traffic signal you have a traffic jam all day long, what part of that is working to reduce pollution

Anyway, it's a lovely day outside, time to get out and enjoy the traffic jams in our lovely city, traffic jams that we're never there before on a Sunday are now a constant everyday of the week now, but hey all these measures work in other countries so it must be working here

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭M256

The solution to city center traffic is simple - stop putting more and more offices into the docks, create business parks outside of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭micar

Bring on the 30kph around the city, do the clowns in the green party not realise this will cause more pollution, stop people traveling into the city, business having more hardship due to a fall off in footfall, bring it on I say., bring it on.

The decision is made by DCC.

Out of 63 seats, the green party has 10 .....equates to 16%

FF 11, FG 9, Labour 8, SF 8.

The Green Party wpuld be pro to his ......but they arent the only party.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

I was just reading an article about the traffic control measures in grangegorman in Dublin, and one of the respondents they talked to, who was complaining about the measures, drives from stoneybatter to her job in ballymun. She's a ten minute walk from the number 4 bus which goes through ballymun. That's the mindset we need to change.

She is a ten minute walk from a bus stop, perhaps crowded with orher cold miserable people, waiting on the off chance that a bus might show up, might not be full. Even if it does show up you then have to negotiate the hostile driver who wont give you change and then squash into the cold wet Covid 19 petri dish to be dropped off wherever CIE think you might like to go. Thats the reality informing the mindset to take the car every time.

Advertisement