Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A 30 KPH limit for Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Have people really forgot....
    We need to shut China out .....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

sdanseo wrote: »
    It's stunning how these busy fools can create something with so much detail in so many pages, yet the end result is still so objectively wrong.

Not from the viewpoint of an entitled driver, but from a basic application of common sense: 30km/h on 4-lane dual carriageways is just too damn slow.

If they want to promote cycling, then spend the money put into these reviews on a (gas-masked and essential) council field trip to Eindhoven and see how it's really done, then let them come back and figure out how to apply that here.

What 4 lane dual carriageways are proposed 30kph?

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭jams100

Yeah yeah yeah it's only ever people cycling that break red lights. It's never people driving.
    There's no need for a speed limit reduction. We just need to ban cycling :rolleyes:
    https://twitter.com/AlanDub13/status/1298582540232646659?s=19

You hear what you want to hear, I never said that drivers don't break red lights they 100% do. I was merely pointing out an area where a cycling lane was designed badly along with the stupidity of certain cyclists who think that red lights don't apply to them.
    I never even slightly suggested banning cycling, if you actually read my comment you would see that I both drive and cycle.
    The logic of saying the speed limit on oconnell street, dame Street or a residential area should be the same as a straight road like Isle land bridge is FARCICAL and only serves as a justification for drivers not to obey the 30km/h limit where its currently in place, which at the minute is appropriate.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Looks like there's a fair bit more in the pipeline other than the new speed limits. According to a report in the Irish Times today, Dublin City Council met with Eamon Ryan and requested 17 legislative changes, including:
    • Ability to ban taxis from certain bus lanes
    • Enforcement powers for red light cameras
    • increase in clamping and tow away fees
    • Higher clamping and tow away fees for parking in loading bays, bus and cycle lanes, footpaths and in clearways
    • More enforcement powers for city centre HGV ban (at the moment the vehicle has to be observed passing a sign, making it pretty much unenforceable.
    • Ban on rickshaws and regulation of electric scooters

• Registered Users Posts: 24,305 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Looks like there's a fair bit more in the pipeline other than the new speed limits. According to a report in the Irish Times today, Dublin City Council met with Eamon Ryan and requested 17 legislative changes, including:
    • Higher clamping and tow away fees for parking in loading bays, bus and cycle lanes, footpaths and in clearways
    • More enforcement powers for city centre HGV ban (at the moment the vehicle has to be observed passing a sign, making it pretty much unenforceable.

All those are generally fair enough in my opinion

Well maybe except for banning rickshaws? What's that about?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

This is basically over a child that was hit that was out playing on a road where he wasn't being minded by his parents..... Yes fully appreciate the sadness and horror and not wanting to come across as a Roth a hole but a road isn't for playing on but it seems the norm now...
    I'm actually amazed it doesn't happen more often.....
    Having minded nephews, nieces, friends kids, and my own, kids can get away from you in a split second, could happen to anyone, when I cycle and i see a crowd of school kids or a toddler walking with their parents, actually, even adults when I think about it, I move out a bit, as I would in a car of travelling in any way fast because there is always a chance they will step out, fall off the kerb etc. This is just good driving behaviour.
    Yes of course there are places even if it were posted 200,km/h 30km/h would be adequate or even too high.... It really comes down to responsibility and personal responsibility.
    Every week we see proof that personal responsibility, while taken by many, is not enough of a carrot to get safe roads, hence we need the stick of enforcement.
    It's not how it works.... Go and see Dundrum.
    Go and drive a bus for the day....

Cyclists don't use infrastructure provided good or bad....
    Some do, some don't. I move in and out, there is very little good infrastructure on my route though. Issues with bus drivers are rare though. Dundrum is a sh1t show for all users, pedestrians, cyclists, cars, buses. If your issue driving in Dundrum is cyclists then you're missing alot there. Promoting active travel and public transport in Dundrum is that places only hope, glad I am nowhere near there anymore.
    Truthvader wrote: »
    Whatever. Winter is coming. Hope yourself and your family enjoy the misery of your "active travel" delusion
    LOL, I cycle more during the bad weather. Time to work in good weather 42minutes. Time in bad weather 43minutes both if cycling. Driving, the latter can be over 2 hours on occasion.
    Because it is sh1t. I cycled to school every day as a kid. It was sh1t. The people who are forced into this bullcrap the most are schoolkids. And the first thing every kid wants when they leave school and get a jpb is a car.
    I come from the country and had a car before I left school, first thing I done in Dublin was sell it. Lived abroad for years and the driving in Dublin is exceptionally bad to my other experiences, it's really not worth it. If your in a major town or city, give cycling a try on bad traffic days, you might see the benefit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

lawred2 wrote: »
    Will maybe except for banning rickshaws? What's that about?
    they're competition for the white water rafting thrillseeking crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭Chiparus

lawred2 wrote: »
    All those are generally fair enough in my opinion

Well maybe except for banning rickshaws? What's that about?

Sop to Taxi drivers- competition for the lucrative weekend city center clientele.

They do need to be insured and regulated- or else they will become unregulated electric taxis , especially as power and range increases.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Avoid public transport. But also don't drive your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

More of the same "make life **** for everyone" policy. At least they have abandonned the pretendy "consultation" nonsense. All the bicycle loons here are going to get everything they want. Hard to see where it will all end. Pity all those forced into this medieval fantasy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

More of the same "make life **** for everyone" policy. At least they have abandonned the pretendy "consultation" nonsense. All the bicycle loons here are going to get everything they want. Hard to see where it will all end. Pity all those forced into this medieval fantasy

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Joey321

Bring on the 30kph around the city, do the clowns in the green party not realise this will cause more pollution, stop people traveling into the city, business having more hardship due to a fall off in footfall, bring it on I say., bring it on.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Joey321 wrote: »
    Bring on the 30kph around the city, do the clowns in the green party not realise this will cause more pollution, stop people traveling into the city, business having more hardship due to a fall off in footfall, bring it on I say., bring it on.
    And here is the evidence to show how you can argue against proven facts but still believe that you are correct. :rolleyes:

What evidence are you talking about

There's ample evidence against everything you claimed in your rant.
    A quick Google and you may find yourself more informed on the matter.

Rush hour traffic average speed is much less than 30kmh. Id bet off peak traffic isnt far from 30 either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

ronoc wrote: »
    Rush hour traffic average speed is much less than 30kmh. Id bet off peak traffic isnt far from 30 either.

So why change it then? From your logic the only difference is now you can get penalty points and lose your license.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

begbysback wrote: »
    So why change it then? From your logic the only difference is now you can get penalty points and lose your license.
    Its a win/win.

As I said, bring it on, at the moment on the queys you have one lane blocked of for cycling but you still get clowns zigzagging between cars, the pollution in the city centre on the queys is terrible with all the cars stop starting, you have the greens banging on about pollution levels and not a mention of the impact of there 30kpm rules, not once during this pandemic have I herd anyone in power promote the use of the public parks for exercise, you have a fantastic park right in the centre of Dublin and as a regular user this is a perfect place to go for exercise but very few use this on a daily bases even tough there is a lane on both side for cycling but yet they still bang on about banning cars,

As I said, bring it on, at the moment on the queys you have one lane blocked of for cycling but you still get clowns zigzagging between cars, the pollution in the city centre on the queys is terrible with all the cars stop starting, you have the greens banging on about pollution levels and not a mention of the impact of there 30kpm rules, not once during this pandemic have I herd anyone in power promote the use of the public parks for exercise, you have a fantastic park right in the centre of Dublin and as a regular user this is a perfect place to go for exercise but very few use this on a daily bases even tough there is a lane on both side for cycling but yet they still bang on about banning cars,
    I assume the people cycling along the quays are predominantly commuting.
    As for the pollution levels along the quays from cars: there is a simple and obvious solution to that...

• Advertisement

What is the solution

What is the solution
    To which particular issue?
    You appear to have an issue with road space being taken from cars and the cars left being forced to abide by a lower speed limit.
    Other road users will think this is great: busses will move more quickly, it will be safer for cyclists and pedestrians. The air will be so much cleaner that people's health will improve.
    With less people sitting in their single occupancy but four armchaired vehicles, their health will improve. There are no negatives to this apart from the complaints of a few disgruntled, I'll informed, self entitled drivers who believe that a city congested with cars is somehow a good thing.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I'm not sure what's so "medieval" about discouraging people from parking in bus lanes, considering neither buses, cars, nor indeed bicycles existed back then. If Dublin City Council were proposing a return to horses are carts, then perhaps...

I don't have an issue with road space been taken, I walk or cycle most places in the city centre, my point been is the way they are trying to drive motorist of the road is causing higher pollution in the areas they are trying to promote cycling, I'm not disgruntled or ill advised, maybe look closer to home to find that, if you are going to promote greener way of life don't cause higher pollution while trying to do this, how is cycleing/walking along the queys healthier if you are breathing in fumes from cars idling. As I said bring it on but do it right.

begbysback wrote: »

Average speeds. That isn't to say there arent people doing stupid speeds in built up areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

What is the solution

Stop voting for the nannies in the Green Party
    Assasinate Owen Keegan
    Build an underground
    Re - open all the roads that have been deliberately blocked off or artificially narrowed or otherwise compromised
    Decommission all bus lanes and return the road to all users
    Widen all roads by demolishing stuff (most of which is rubbish anyway bar a few squares the Brits built before they left
    Build underground car parks under Stephens Green Fitzwilliam Square Mounjoy Square etc serviced by "Port tunnel" like access tunnels
    Close down Dublin Bus
    Welcome all immigrants to Dublin with the words "Welcome to Dublin here is your taxi. You can charge €2 per mile and all you earn is tax free"
    Make it an offence to cycle if over the age of 19- indictable if wearing lycra
    Have Frank MacDonald prosecuted for fraud and sedition

Genius or madman?????

...indictable if wearing lycra

Ah here!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,305 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I'd agree with you if it weren't for all the evidence to the contrary.

What evidence to contrary, how can you ignore higher pollution caused by an unnessary build up of traffic were cars/buses idling in queues, look at the cyclest wearing mask, walk along the queue of cars and smell the fumes. Maybe expand on all the evidence.

• Advertisement

@truthvader, who votes for the greens, what's your point with immigrants? Don't be shy, say what you feel.

Advertisement