Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masks

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

GT89 wrote: »
    Even if most people don't want to wear them.

Most people understand the reasoning and wear them anyway.
    Back in March no one was wearing a mask apart from a small minority

True but irrelevant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

No: I will wait for the HSE to recommend
    Graham wrote: »
    Most people understand the reasoning and wear them anyway.

Because their a bunch of sheep?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

No: I don't care enough
    Even if most people don't want to wear them. Back in March no one was wearing a mask apart from a small minority

Back in 1840 there was no speed limits for cars on the road either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Smoking is perfectly legal in the street but most people don't smoke so smoking is unpleasant to them in indoor areas. With masks the majority don't want to wear them so shouldn't have to just because a small few want them.

How is my post riddiculous. If the governemnt advised people to crawl on their hands and knees you'd do it and then you'd campaign them to make it law and when it became law you'd call people walking normally scumbags. In my personal opinion wearing a mask in public is just as riddiculous as crawling around on your hands and knees.

The majority of us do not want to wear masks, but we see the need for them in the middle of a pandemic. And I have no interest in your opinion about the value of masks, it is proper for government to look to experts for advice on these matters.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

A bunch of sheep would apply if there was something pointless or daft being done and with no evidence or reasoning behind why people should do it. There is plenty of evidence about the transmission of the virus, there is plenty of evidence about how masks can help with reducing that transmission and the reasons behind why we should all be wearing masks has been explained multiple times so that everyone can easily understand it.

Where is your reasoning behind not wearing one, other than your previously admitted claim that you don't give a damn about anyone else? If the rest of us do care about others then even your twisted world view justifies everyone wearing a mask in order to show that we care, and make those who don't more obvious to us all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Yes: surgical
    robinph wrote: »
    A bunch of sheep would apply if there was something pointless or daft being done and with no evidence or reasoning behind why people should do it. There is plenty of evidence about the transmission of the virus, there is plenty of evidence about how masks can help with reducing that transmission and the reasons behind why we should all be wearing masks has been explained multiple times so that everyone can easily understand it.

Where is your reasoning behind not wearing one, other than your previously admitted claim that you don't give a damn about anyone else? If the rest of us do care about others then even your twisted world view justifies everyone wearing a mask in order to show that we care, and make those who don't more obvious to us all.

You are wasting your breath. There are none so blind as those who will not see.

The evidence is there. He/She refuses to see it.

The majority of us do not want to wear masks, but we see the need for them in the middle of a pandemic. And I have no interest in your opinion about the value of masks, it is proper for government to look to experts for advice on these matters.

So explain why has covid rates gone up since masks on public transport and in shops. If masks work? It doesn't make sense if masks are the solution why has covid rates gone up since people started wearing them. The pro maskers will say that is because of anything and everything apart from the fact that maybe nmasks are not that effective.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

Ah the old bunch of sheep cliched comment. I was wondering how long it would be before you trotted that out. FYI pal the vast majority of people are following the rules regarding mask wearing because they understand they are for the wellbeing of those vulnerable to the Covid-19 virus. Something that you have repeatedly stated that you couldn`t care less about.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

So explain why has covid rates gone up since masks on public transport and in shops. If masks work? It doesn't make sense if masks are the solution why has covid rates gone up since people started wearing them. The pro maskers will say that is because of anything and everything apart from the fact that maybe nmasks are not that effective.

COVID-19 rates have gone up because people are starting to wilt when it comes to social distancing. Our lockdown has been loosened again adding to the rates going up.

Masks on their own aren't effective. Masks, when used in conjunction with social distancing/hygiene measures actually do help.

Actually, I shouldn't have bothered replying to you. My bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

No: other
    pal the vast majority of people are following the rules regarding mask wearing because they understand they are for the wellbeing of those vulnerable to the Covid-19 virus.

Vast majority are wearing them because its mandatory otherwise they would have worn them beforehand.

• Advertisement

Maybe the masks are not that effective. What else have people been doing recently that they were not doing during April May June? Do masks mean that we can get back to doing some of those things in a modified way whilst no masks mean we can't do them at all?

Which would you prefer, everyone stays locked up for another six months without leaving the house under any circumstances, or you put a mask on and start getting on with things again? Until you figure out a way to tell that someone is infectious before they show symptoms in any way then putting a mask on is by far the simplest way to reduce transmission levels.

That doesn't mean transmission is eliminated though as there are obviously other things happening where transmission happens, and there are the people like yourself who have zero consideration for anyone else you share the planet with who refuse to wear a mask for no good reason.

bush wrote: »
    Vast majority are wearing them because its mandatory otherwise they would have worn them beforehand.

Very many myself included have been wearing them for months long before they were mandatory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

No: other
    Many including myself have been wearing them for months long before they were mandatory.

Good for you but the vast majority didn't wear them

bush wrote: »

Exactly the pro maskers want to dictate to the rest of us to wear them even though we don't want em

Maybe the masks are not that effective. What else have people been doing recently that they were not doing during April May June? Do masks mean that we can get back to doing some of those things in a modified way whilst no masks mean we can't do them at all?

Which would you prefer, everyone stays locked up for another six months without leaving the house under any circumstances, or you put a mask on and start getting on with things again? Until you figure out a way to tell that someone is infectious before they show symptoms in any way then putting a mask on is by far the simplest way to reduce transmission levels.

That doesn't mean transmission is eliminated though as there are obviously other things happening where transmission happens, and there are the people like yourself who have zero consideration for anyone else you share the planet with who refuse to wear a mask for no good reason.

We should go back to full normality now and forget about covid. I want full normality now no masks, no social distancing, no lockdowns. Only the vulnerable die from it

• Registered Users Posts: 28,561 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

We should go back to full normality now and forget about covid. Only the vulnerable die from it

Put me down on the side that cares whether the vulnerable die or not.
    I think that's the pro-mask side.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

We should go back to full normality now and forget about covid. I want full normality now no masks, no social distancing, no lockdowns. Only the vulnerable die from it

I don't think you ever responded to the multiple previous queries about why your wish to not wear a mask trumps my right to stay alive for another 50 years or so?

Exactly the pro maskers want to dictate to the rest of us to wear them even though we don't want em

How many times does it need to be stated that people who wear masks may not necessarily enjoy wearing them but do so in the interests of public health? TBH trying to get that message across to you is like banging your head off a brick wall. As someone who has admitted to not caring about other people that doesn`t mean anything to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭i_surge

RoYoBo wrote: »
    How did a thread about masks during a pandemic descend into arguments about wearing helmets in a car?

Shows how much depth the anti mask "lobby" here have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭i_surge

Initially thought this was a parody post, but chance would be a fine thing

• Advertisement

How many times does it need to be stated that people who wear masks may not necessarily enjoy wearing them but do so in the interests of public health? TBH trying to get that message across to you is like banging your head off a brick wall. As someone who has admitted to not caring about other people that doesn`t mean anything to you.

Why was were most people not wearing masks 6 weeks ago then?

And how the **** do you think that vulnerable people get covid-19? Forget about covid? Just like that? After some of your comments here I think you have other issues that you need to deal with other than just not wanting to wear masks.

And how the **** do you think that vulnerable people get covid-19? Forget about covid? Just like that? After some of your comments here I think you have other issues that you need to deal with other than just not wanting to wear masks.

What other issues do I have?

honestly

who cares

That was 6 weeks ago, we are on about now.

And incase you missed it, why does your desire to not wear a mask trump my right to live?

i_surge wrote: »
    Initially thought this was a parody post, but chance would be a fine thing

Best to ignore this poster which I for one will be doing from now on. Clearly he has issues.

i_surge wrote: »
    Shows how much depth the anti mask "lobby" here have.

fortunately its not a widespread lobby.

I'd say it consists of about 4 people on this thread (it just feels like more).

I don't think you ever responded to the multiple previous queries about why your wish to not wear a mask trumps my right to stay alive for another 50 years or so?

You don't have a right to stay alive for another 50 years you could be killed tommorrow in an accident, have a cardiac arrest or suffer sudden adult death syndrome

You don't have a right to stay alive for another 50 years you could be killed tommorrow in an accident, have a cardiac arrest or suffer sudden adult death syndrome

I do have a right to not be infected by your failure to wear a mask because <something> though.

• Advertisement

Best to ignore this poster which I for one will be doing from now on. Clearly he has issues.

What issues are you on about? The issue for you seem to be that you can't deal with people who have a differing opinion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement