Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masks

Options
1322323324325326328»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

brianhere wrote: »
    Covid which has been proven to be a very mild disease.

893,000+ deaths so far

yeah, it's all made up to keep the pubs closed :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭moonage

Graham wrote: »
    :confused:

So disturbing you went searching for a Youtube video of children wearing masks?

No, of course I didn't go searching for this nonsense.

It showed up as a recommendation from a lockdown/mask sceptic's channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,218 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

brianhere wrote: »
    All measures taken recently are intended to be permanent, don't be like the publicans and be strung along with a hope they will be opened this week and then the next week etc! That's why they call it the new normal.
    After all look at it another way, there are always going to be infectious diseases, and the vast majority of them have hugely greater fatality rates than this Covid which has been proven to be a very mild disease. So once you have established the principle of destroying social and commercial life in the country for a very mild infectious disease, then that principle will carry you forward ad infinitum with respect to all the other diseases.

You don't understand that the threat represented infectious disease isn't just the fatality rate - you are forgetting to factor in how contagious a disease is.
    And you don't understand politics either if you think "communism is the virus."

Now back to masks.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

What's the story actually with the masks law? Is there an expiry date on it? Or is this going to go on forever or in other words until the government thinks the general opinion tide has turned? Genuine question.

The statutory instruments expire on 5th October. It's almost certain they'll be renewed.

I'd like to know what are the criteria for the lifting of mandatory masks. How low should death/hospitalisation rates be and for how long? I'm sure the government hasn't such a plan and they're just winging it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

No: other
    moonage wrote: »
    The statutory instruments expire on 5th October. It's almost certain they'll be renewed.

I'd like to know what are the criteria for the lifting of mandatory masks. How low should death/hospitalisation rates be and for how long? I'm sure the government hasn't such a plan and they're just winging it.
    Yeah, it's barely a month away. I could see them doing a rolling 28 day extension and as happened with LOKdown end them instantly at some point.

• Advertisement

893,000+ deaths so far

yeah, it's all made up to keep the pubs closed :rolleyes:

God, that sound like a very big number!

But it's about 0.01% of the world's population. And how many of those died with Covid rather than from Covid?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

But it's about 0.01% of the world's population. And how many of those died with Covid rather than from Covid?

It seems extraordinary that a virus which is highly transmissible and has spread to every part of every country in the world, (apart from a few remote islands), has infected such a small proportion of the world’s population.
    Even countries such as Belarus which didn’t bother with restrictions still only had a small percentage of their population infected.

I suppose some might consider the guts of a million dead as insignificant but sure if masks disturb you I suppose it's a small price to pay.

I suppose some might consider the guts of a million dead as insignificant but sure if masks disturb you I suppose it's a small price to pay.

Context is everything. About 38 million people globally have died since the start of the year.

This is from last May when Covid was a lot worse than it is now:

responsive_large_webp_sJcmFPq6L89cbxsu-GcL5mJFmNRJdGkJsedjQz8oqNA.webp

Context is everything. About 38 million people globally have died since the start of the year.

This is an infectious disease.
    Its numbers follow a different curve to cancer, heart disease, vehicle or work accidents etc
    That is the context.
    You cannot by your actions reduce or increase the risk of someone else getting heart disease.

With some cancers you can which is why smoking is banned in the same places you are now being mandated to wear a mask.

You can reduce the spread and severity of covid19 by wearing a mask.

• Advertisement

odyssey06 wrote: »
    You can reduce the spread and severity of covid19 by wearing a mask.

That's a moot point.

The evidence isn't strong enough to show they make any difference. Therefore they shouldn't be mandatory.

That's a moot point.

The evidence isn't strong enough to show they make any difference. Therefore they shouldn't be mandatory.

Fortunately that decision has been taken away from those not qualified to make it.

That's a moot point.

The evidence is strong enough to convince the CDC and ECDC.
    What they have presented convinces me.

Fortunately that decision has been taken away from those not qualified to make it.

Unfortunately politicians—those not qualified to make it—made the decision to make masks mandatory. For political, not health, reasons.

Unfortunately politicians—those not qualified to make it—made the decision to make masks mandatory. For political, not health, reasons.

I have no idea what you mean.
    Only politicians can make something mandatory. It is their decision always.

You will have to find me the link where NPHET or CDC advised against mandatory masks.
    They have recommended they be worn in enclosed public places.

If you want to buy into the conspiracy theories, knock yourself out.

There will always be a subset of the population that gets their opinion from social media.
    It showed up as a recommendation from a lockdown/mask sceptic's channel.

To my mind it just confirms the need for legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭brianhere

The above link I posted doesn't seem to work now, here is the book, on Ireland's response to the virus: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vgx5mzntpjyqvj9/Communism%20is%20the%20Virus.pdf .

http://www.orwellianireland.com

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Is there some mask manufacturer in Ireland that politicians have secretly been increasing their shares in??? The only 2 reasons I see a politician backing a *bad* idea is if they make money from it or it is a populist thing and increases their chance of re-election (and more money). Neither seem to fit here. Plus most qualified organisations seem to support mandatory mask wearing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

No: I will wait for the HSE to recommend
    ShooterSF wrote: »
    Is there some mask manufacturer in Ireland that politicians have secretly been increasing their shares in??? The only 2 reasons I see a politician backing a *bad* idea is if they make money from it or it is a populist thing and increases their chance of re-election (and more money). Neither seem to fit here. Plus most qualified organisations seem to support mandatory mask wearing...

Billions worth of PPE not fit for medical purpose.

That would be a no then.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,559 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

No: I don't care enough
    New thread here

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement