Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,317 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

eleventh wrote: »
    They could set up a mask-wearing olympics, in a similar vein to those All you can eat contests they have in the US.
    Extreme behaviour of individuals.
    If they really want to test things, get a random sample of 100 mask-wearers off the street, see how they do running 1km or so. Have a control group of non-masked do the same. Repeat the test over time.

You've given the game away by your "extreme behaviour" line.
    Utterly absurd irrelevant and false comparison to the wearing of masks in everyday duties, shopping or on transport.
    It's like using running a marathon as the basis for the long term effects of a daily jog.

To show how ridiculous your comparison is...
    Let's have a control group of people of runners.
    (a) Some are dressed in running shoes, shorts and a vest.
    (b) Some are in tuxedos and dress shoes.
    (c) Some are carrying a backpack and holding up an umbrella.
    We could reasonably expect (a) to be fastest.

Does it tell us anything about the long term health effects of wearing a tuxedo and dress shoes?
    Nope. Of course it doesn't.
    Because it's a false comparison.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Yes: valved
    eleventh wrote: »
    They could set up a mask-wearing olympics, in a similar vein to those All you can eat contests they have in the US.
    Extreme behaviour of individuals.

If they really want to test things, get a random sample of 100 mask-wearers off the street, see how they do running 1km or so. Have a control group of non-masked do the same. Repeat the test over time.

tenor.gif

Sry, back to image posting :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭eleventh

odyssey06, I wasn't talking about speed. The post I replied to wasn't either.
    You can always ask for clarification if you don't understand something (rather than go off on a rant etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

Measc.ie FFP2 and surgical along with some face coverings were tested by Mater surgery this week. No results yet, not expecting any surprises, will be good to have data though and share data from an Irish source.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

No: other
    pjohnson wrote: »
    I wonder are some of these having issue with wearing a mask trying to deepthroat or consume the mask?

Maybe masks just need much much clearer instructions.

Have you tried wearing a mask for 8 to 10 hours in a very hot environment?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

bush wrote: »
    Have you tried wearing a mask for 8 to 10 hours in a very hot environment?

Which of the specified premises, services or businesses operate in a "very hot environment"?

Any of the anti mandatory maskers on this thread want to meet in the city center later for a mask off?

Graham wrote: »
    Which of the specified premises, services or businesses operate in a "very hot environment"?

A kitchen

• Registered Users Posts: 20,934 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Seanergy wrote: »
    Any of the anti mandatory maskers on this thread want to meet in the city center later for a mask off?

You mean 2pm at the custom House? Apparently there's a nutjob gathering scheduled for then.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

A kitchen

Do you have a link to that requirement? I can't find it.

• Advertisement

Graham wrote: »
    Do you have a link to that requirement? I can't find it.

Required by my employer. Are you suggesting i shouldn't wear it?

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭AUDI20

Hehe. The lack of oxygen is apparent
    Haven't seen anyone falling down yet from lack of oxygen for wearing a mask. and if your out running 10miles you don't need one.

Not at all. Well done your employer.

Stark wrote: »
    You mean 2pm at the custom House? Apparently there's a nutjob gathering scheduled for then.

Would be nice to see cops finally doing something, if the gathering will break the safety measures

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

No: I will wait for the HSE to recommend
    xhomelezz wrote: »
    Would be nice to see cops finally doing something, if the gathering will break the safety measures

Like the protests for that American criminal guy?

Like the protests for that American criminal guy?

Hopefully this time they'll actually do something, if the rules are broken

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭saneman

Yes: surgical

I doubt distance can be maintained in any working kitchen environment, what option does your employer have really?

There are also cooling products out there that can help if heat is the issue:

https://www.techniche-intl.com/products/evaporative-cooling-skull-caps-6536
    https://www.techniche-intl.com/products/evaporative-cooling-neckbands-6519

saneman wrote: »
    I doubt distance can be maintained in any working kitchen environment, what option does your employer have really?

There are also cooling products out there that can help if heat is the issue:

https://www.techniche-intl.com/products/evaporative-cooling-skull-caps-6536
    https://www.techniche-intl.com/products/evaporative-cooling-neckbands-6519

Its just a response to people who think wearing a mask is easy. Easy if your working at home and put it on for 5 mins to go get milk ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭Tork

Yes: to protect others
    Bush, you're unfortunate in that your job is one where mask wearing is particularly uncomfortable. For the vast majority of people, mask wearing is a small part of their day and something that may not even happen every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

A kitchen

I sympathise, bush - a busy kitchen must be one of the worst places to have to wear a mask for a long period of time. With the impossibility of keeping any kind of distance from co-workers, it's also the riskiest place if you don't wear one.

I hope you can get plenty of breaks and some attention to cooling from your employer perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Jaysus I thought my job was bad but wearing a mask in a kitchen sounds awful. Kitchen staff in a restaurant I was in there recently weren't wearing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

GT89 wrote: »
    Jaysus I thought my job was bad but wearing a mask in a kitchen sounds awful. Kitchen staff in a restaurant I was in there recently weren't wearing them.

Nobody is wearing them where the public can’t see them. Same in my place of work. It’s all for show. Go down the factory floor and not one person wears one. It’s far too much to expect of people to wear a mask for 12 hour shifts. I do about 30-35k walking per shift, absolutely no way in hell im wearing one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

robinph wrote: »
    I do have a right to not be infected by your failure to wear a mask because <something> though.

Someones weak genes are no one else’s concern. It’s evolution. It removes the weak genes from the pool by making them weak and vulnerable to disease that others can fight off. It’s been happening for millennia. Happens in all living things.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Yes: homemade
    Someones weak genes are no one else’s concern. It’s evolution. It removes the weak genes from the pool by making them weak and vulnerable to disease that others can fight off. It’s been happening for millennia. Happens in all living things.

Another totally incorrect interpretation of evolution.

Nobody is wearing them where the public can’t see them. Same in my place of work. It’s all for show. Go down the factory floor and not one person wears one. It’s far too much to expect of people to wear a mask for 12 hour shifts. I do about 30-35k walking per shift, absolutely no way in hell im wearing one.

I was out for dinner last night, you could see into the kitchen. None of the chefs were wearing masks. Didn’t bother me. The servers were.

Sure superman

Getting very close to win the most stupid post award, come on try harder to get the first prize, you can do it

xhomelezz wrote: »
    Sure superman

Getting very close to win the most stupid post award, come on try harder to get the first prize, you can do it

Never heard of evolution no? Survival of the fittest?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,166 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Yes: surgical

That’s not real, it’s all a hoax. No evidence for it. RTE propaganda.

Lol man, as I said keep trying and you'll get the gold medal.

• Advertisement

Stark wrote: »

sure did ;) all keyboard and no dancing shoes

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement