Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masks

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

No: I will wait for the HSE to recommend
    If masks are an effective tool can someone answer this question?

Why have covid cases gone up since masks became a requirement on public transport and in shops? That would suggest either a) masks are completely useless in stopping the spread or b) masks actually contribute in the spread of cv19.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭isup

Yes: homemade
    GT89 wrote: »

Why have covid cases gone up since masks became a requirement on public transport and in shops? That would suggest either a) masks are completely useless in stopping the spread or b) masks actually contribute in the spread of cv19.

More people out and about and not adhering to advice, Young people acting like nothing's changed or people like yourself either not wearing a mask or wearing them on their chin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

No: other

I'm not convinced they are of any use at all and id love to know what conditions need to be met so we can stop wearing them. In the mean time what can you do but wear the things.

isup wrote: »
    More people out and about and not adhering to advice, Young people acting like nothing's changed or people like yourself either not wearing a mask or wearing them on their chin

Any time I have been on a bus in the last few weeks everyone was wearing a mask. About 99% of customers in the supermarket I work wear them now. So you can't blame it on a small minority not wearing them.

bush wrote: »
    I'm not convinced they are of any use at all and id love to know what conditions need to be met so we can stop wearing them. In the mean time what can you do but wear the things.

Do the silent majority actually want to and like wearing. The so called "benefits" of wearing them have been talked about for months now so if people like and want to wear why weren't they wearing them 2 months ago. It's only been since they became required by law that people have actually started wearing them which suggests people are only wearing to comply not because it's something they actually want to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭Tork

Yes: to protect others
    Let's not forget you said said this yesterday
    I actually couldn't care less. I don't have any elderly relatives left. I'm not at risk and nor is anyone in my circle. I am healthy and not at risk. I'm sorry if I sound heartless but it's how I feel. I'm a selfish person and I'm willing to accept that.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

Yes: valved
    Do the silent majority actually want to and like wearing. The so called "benefits" of wearing them have been talked about for months now so if people like and want to wear why weren't they wearing them 2 months ago. It's only been since they became required by law that people have actually started wearing them which suggests people are only wearing to comply not because it's something they actually want to do.

And there you have it ...

Not even the most ardent mask proponent on this thread has ever expressed a desire to wear a mask because they 'like' doing so. If people are doing so now out of compliance, happy days!

Put it like this, if the mask proponents are wrong, what is the worst that can happen? Nobody dies or is exposed to any kind of risk bar a minor inconvenience! As opposed to if you're wrong ....

RoYoBo wrote: »
    And there you have it ...

Not even the most ardent mask proponent on this thread has ever expressed a desire to wear a mask because they 'like' doing so. If people are doing so now out of compliance, happy days!

Put it like this, if the mask proponents are wrong, what is the worst that can happen? Nobody dies or is exposed to any kind of risk bar a minor inconvenience! As opposed to if you're wrong ....

Showing your true colours you want people wearing masks even if they don't want to.

Why don't we all crawl around the place on our hands and knees then as the virus that would mean the virus could travel to the ground quicker and not suspend in the air if that's your argument. Sure it's only a minor convience and if crawling around on your hands and knees dosen't work what harm is done.

Showing your true colours you want people wearing masks even if they don't want to.

You're absolutely right there - I DO expect people to wear masks regardless of whether they want to or not. Just as I expect people to comply with other health and safety regulations, such as not smoking or drink driving or defecating in the street.

As for the rest of your post ... sometimes there is just no response worthy of a ridiculous suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

How did a thread about masks during a pandemic descend into arguments about wearing helmets in a car?

One is necessary to protect other people and yourself (if recent research is accurate) from airborne contagion and the other is an optional extra for an individual motorist to perhaps protect themselves..

It can effect others and society.
    Nermal wrote: »
    How about you start wearing a helmet in your car? Car accidents cause about half the traumatic brain injuries we suffer.

I mean, it's a negligible inconvenience for you to keep a helmet in your car, and you might save your family and society the trouble of looking after a vegetable by doing so. What sort of sociopath wouldn't want to do that?

• Advertisement

You're absolutely right there - I DO expect people to wear masks regardless of whether they want to or not. Just as I expect people to comply with other health and safety regulations, such as not smoking or drink driving or defecating in the street.

As for the rest of your post ... sometimes there is just no response worthy of a ridiculous suggestion.

Smoking is perfectly legal in the street but most people don't smoke so smoking is unpleasant to them in indoor areas. With masks the majority don't want to wear them so shouldn't have to just because a small few want them.

How is my post riddiculous. If the governemnt advised people to crawl on their hands and knees you'd do it and then you'd campaign them to make it law and when it became law you'd call people walking normally scumbags. In my personal opinion wearing a mask in public is just as riddiculous as crawling around on your hands and knees.

rubadub wrote: »
    It can effect others and society.

Everything we do or don't do has the potential to affect others and society. But in a thread about masks during a pandemic, nothing is as important as the air that we breathe and the possibility that we are knowingly or unknowingly contaminating it for others.

If people feel strongly about helmets in cars, it might be worthwhile starting a thread exclusively for that purpose and discussing the effects there. Road safety is a very important ongoing issue and deaths and injuries are indeed horrendous. The ironic thing is that allowing Covid 19 to run rampant through the community is certainly not going to mitigate these effects on the victims, their families or society ... quite the contrary.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 AnnieOaks

No: I don't care enough

Why don't we all crawl around the place on our hands and knees then as the virus that would mean the virus could travel to the ground quicker and not suspend in the air if that's your argument. Sure it's only a minor convience and if crawling around on your hands and knees dosen't work what harm is done.

I have been wearing masks since march, and I’m sure others have to. Just because the government are only trying to enforce it now doesn’t mean people shouldn’t of been wearing them up until now. Your comments just come off as a very selfish person who can’t comply with a basic public health measure for the good of everyone. Children would actually have more sense than yourself the way you’re coming across mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Yes: surgical
    The "I'm all right jack" attitude. Just what we need to help us out of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Tork wrote: »
    Let's not forget you said said this yesterday

That should be enough for every single person on this thread to block. Absolutely disgusting attitude that can't be reasoned with. Can only hope karma deals with it .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

No: I don't care enough
    So the same poster who suggests some kind of moral deficit in someone who would like to see people wearing masks even if they don't want to but for the good of the population as a whole:

Also says this:
    I actually couldn't care less. I don't have any elderly relatives left. I'm not at risk and nor is anyone in my circle. I am healthy and not at risk. I'm sorry if I sound heartless but it's how I feel. I'm a selfish person and I'm willing to accept that.

????

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

You can count me in there too. I can say quite honestly I couldn't give two hoots whether you actually want to wear one or not.

"I'm sorry if I sound heartless but it's how I feel. I'm a selfish person and I'm willing to accept that"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Yes: other
    How did a thread about masks during a pandemic descend into arguments about wearing helmets in a car?

One is necessary to protect other people and yourself (if recent research is accurate) from airborne contagion and the other is an optional extra for an individual motorist to perhaps protect themselves.

I can choose not to drive or travel (albeit with extreme difficulty) but I cannot choose not to breathe. Your breath and emissions become mine, whether I want them or not.

Because juveniles, idiots and trolls have access to the internet and when bored, delight in causing mischief, chaos and distress. Modern life means we need to ignore them.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭AUDI20

Smoking is perfectly legal in the street but most people don't smoke so smoking is unpleasant to them in indoor areas. With masks the majority don't want to wear them so shouldn't have to just because a small few want them.

How is my post riddiculous. If the governemnt advised people to crawl on their hands and knees you'd do it and then you'd campaign them to make it law and when it became law you'd call people walking normally scumbags. In my personal opinion wearing a mask in public is just as riddiculous as crawling around on your hands and knees.
    Thankfully its your personal opinion, the Majority of people have common sense.
    how you can compare it to crawling on your hands and knees is telling me you are just Trolling

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

Wonder did the 81 guests at that infamous event in the west wear masks entering and leaving the building

They did in their hoop but rules are only for the little people.

Shambles the whole thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,616 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Wonder did the 81 guests at that infamous event in the west wear masks entering and leaving the building

What rules re: masks are you talking about?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

givyjoe wrote: »
    That should be enough for every single person on this thread to block. Absolutely disgusting attitude that can't be reasoned with. Can only hope karma deals with it .

TBH after those comments this poster should be completely ignored.

odyssey06 wrote: »

Never mentioned anything about rules

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Never mentioned anything about rules

Yes you did.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,762 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Not that I'm supporting the holding of or the people at the golf event but there was no legal requirment for them to wear a mask entering and leaving the building.

Should they have been wearing masks, I would say yes. Were they legally required to, I would say no.

Yes you did.

In the context of life rules

• Registered Users Posts: 20,953 ✭✭✭✭Stark

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Not that I'm supporting the holding of or the people at the golf event but there was no legal requirment for them to wear a mask entering and leaving the building.

Should they have been wearing masks, I would say yes. Were they legally required to, I would say no.

Not sure about the actual legislation but the latest government advice states "clearly" that you need to wear your mask when entering and exiting and only take it off when you are seated.

Stark wrote: »
    Not sure about the actual legislation but the latest government advice states "clearly" that you need to wear your mask when entering and exiting and only take it off when you are seated.

Restaurants and cafes can remain open but must follow additional public health measures:

they must close to the public by 11.30pm
    face coverings must be worn by staff in customer facing roles where no other protective measures are in place e.g. protective screens and where physical distancing of 2 metres is not possible. They must also be worn by customers when arriving to and leaving their table
    businesses should keep contact details of all customers to help with contact tracing should a customer be confirmed as having COVID-19
    table service must be provided and customers should not be allowed sit at the bar
    there should be a maximum of six people from no more than 3 households allowed at a table
    events, parties or gatherings of more than 6 people indoors or 15 people outdoors are not allowed in these

• Registered Users Posts: 11,762 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Stark wrote: »
    face coverings must be worn by staff in customer facing roles where no other protective measures are in place e.g. protective screens and where physical distancing of 2 metres is not possible. They must also be worn by customers when arriving to and leaving their table

Firstly, I am in favour of face masks everywhere but is the above public health advice or is it actual legislation because they aren't the same thing?

• Advertisement

Graham wrote: »
    You can count me in there too. I can say quite honestly I couldn't give two hoots whether you actually want to wear one or not.

"I'm sorry if I sound heartless but it's how I feel. I'm a selfish person and I'm willing to accept that"

Even if most people don't want to wear them. Back in March no one was wearing a mask apart from a small minority

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement