Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman and girl found alive after 15 hours in sea off coast

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,419 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Absolutely fantastic news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

You rarely hear such a happy ending to people going missing at sea. Great news but yesterday wasn't really the night for paddleboarding.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Amazing stuff. It has made my week. Those two young ladies must be tough as nails. It got very windy last night and there was a decent downpour too.

Also, fantastic response from the community. I was out in Kinvara this morning with the binoculars and went down along the coast. There were a lot of boats out and about looking. When I got back to the car there was also a pretty decent crowd organizing and one of the neighbors was going out in her Canoe. In a place where there was no campaign to get people out looking, people still took up the cause. My next door neighbor gave one of the other neighbors a lift down the coast further to look along a rocky part of the shore that people wouldn't be walking along.

The empathy and sense of community we have here is incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Wompa1

You rarely hear such a happy ending to people going missing at sea. Great news but yesterday wasn't really the night for paddleboarding.

It was suggested they were out around 6-6:30pm. It wasn't bad at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

Amazing news - such relief for family and friends. 15 hours in the water and for them to be okay really is a miracle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

messrs wrote: »
    Amazing news - such relief for family and friends. 15 hours in the water and for them to be okay really is a miracle

I have never been so happy to hear the helicopter approaching UHG! Best news in a long time!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,404 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Amazing news. When you hear someone's missing at sea you assume the worst. 15 hours clinging to a lobster pot, that's some test of mental and physical endurance.

There's a movie in the making on this one...

I heard one person say that they were wearing lifejackets, but haven't seen it confirmed anywhere?
    Does anyone know if it's true? If so, you can be fairly certain, that they saved their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭inisboffin

bazwraf wrote: »
    I heard one person say that they were wearing lifejackets, but haven't seen it confirmed anywhere?
    Does anyone know if it's true? If so, you can be fairly certain, that they saved their lives.

I heard they had 'floatation devices' so could be.
    It was much calmer at 6.30 when they went out too.

So delighted for them and their friends and family! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭what_traffic

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Amazing news. When you hear someone's missing at sea you assume the worst. 15 hours clinging to a lobster pot, that's some test of mental and physical endurance.

There's a movie in the making on this one

I hope TG4 are thinking the same.
    Wonder what distance did they cover in 15 hours.
    That lobster pot is 2 miles south of Inis Oirr
    IT have a rough map of it
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/young-women-found-clinging-to-lobster-pot-after-spending-night-missing-in-galway-bay-1.4329346

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,210 ✭✭✭✭fits

bazwraf wrote: »

Not really as they could not have survived in the water that long life jackets or no. The mild air temperatures and being able to stay out of the water saved them I’d say.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/young-women-found-clinging-to-lobster-pot-after-spending-night-missing-in-galway-bay-1.4329346

They covered approx 20 miles last night. Superb result.

Anyone know what they mean by lobster pot? as you wouldn’t be clinging to any I’d know!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭what_traffic

fits wrote: »
    Anyone know what they mean by lobster pot? as you wouldn’t be clinging to any I’d know!

Would be the buoy for the pot I presume. Thats how the lobster fisherman can haul the string of pots or pot from the seabed.
    The pots themselves would have acted like an anchor for the paddle boarders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Fantastic news,

the coastguard helicopter had searched a mile or two north of where they were found without seeing them.

Extremely lucky people.

image.png

522904.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Would be the buoy for the pot I presume. Thats how the lobster fisherman can haul the string of pots or pot from the seabed.
    The pots themselves would have acted like an anchor for the paddle boarders.

Yeah lobster fishermen will use coloured buoys usually but you'll see all kinds of floating markers e.g. 5 litre water bottles. My take is they latched on to a buoy/rope to hold position when they saw where they were going in the North Easterly. The lobster pots are heavy and can be weighted down by rocks/bricks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭TwoWheeledTim

522904.png

Wow they really moved. I wonder what time they anchored onto the pots. They had already gone much further than the coastguard's estimate based on where they started that outward search.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

There were helicopters out all or most of the night going up and down the Galway bay coast making an absolute racket. I knew there was something up at midnight and 1am in the morning. It was a lovely day yesterday and the beaches were full. I didn't sleep very well with the noise and I knew I would be waking up to some bad news.

This is absolutely remarkable for these two ladies and I hope they recover well. They must have been absolutely petrified going out to sea. The poor ladies. Does anyone here know them? Did they know how to swim? Either way they must have got some fright and it's remarkable that they survived this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,870 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Friend of mine in the Lifeboat was out and said the weather conditions got very bad after midnight ,the wind increased and they had torrential rain with thunder and lightning it cut visibility down to poor so you can guess they could not go too close to land and the Helicopter Flir system will not work in rain. great outcome well done to everybody involved.

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Friend of mine in the Lifeboat was out and said the weather conditions got very bad after midnight ,the wind increased and they had torrential rain with thunder and lightning it cut visibility down to poor so you can guess they could not go too close to land and the Helicopter Flir system will not work in rain. great outcome well done to everybody involved.

its unbelievable they survived this really! Amazing.

• Advertisement

Interview with fisherman who found them at this link.

https://www.rte.ie/news/connacht/2020/0813/1159006-galway-rescue/?fbclid=IwAR367dmRlTybry_i4vYiJ92eZLpezBJiSY0inRS-70LVrs_6TIFX9okSXNE
    The fisherman who found the two missing paddle boarders off the coast of Galway has said he was prepared to go as far as was necessary to try to rescue them, as if not, they would have continued further out to sea.

The woman and teenage girl were reported missing yesterday after going paddle boarding in Galway Bay. They are believed to have survived 15 hours in the water after they were blown out to sea.

Speaking on RTÉ's Liveline, Patrick Oliver said when they heard the news the women were missing, he and his son left the docks and headed west across the bay.

He said that the women did the right thing by not panicking, keeping their heads clear and by hanging onto a buoy that was attached to fishing gear.

He said judging by the wind, they were able to predict where the paddle boarders may end up in the water.

"They travelled there about 20 miles from the beach to the side of Inis Oírr," he said.

Mr Oliver said that when he heard the pair had gone missing he worked out where he felt they might be, by calculating the wind speed and direction.

He said that when he was leaving the docks this morning he "told the lads this morning 'that's where I'm going'" and luckily that is where the women were found.

Mr Oliver said he would have gone 30 miles and further "because it wouldn't have been worth giving up" as if they were not found they may have drifted further out to sea.

He also said that he was delighted for their parents, saying he "thought about their poor mother on the beach all night looking out for them".

Mr Oliver also said that both he and his son used oilskin jackets and hats to help the women warm up once they were taken from the water.

"They were definitely in shock but the weather is warm so they were lucky," he said.

Mr Oliver also described the moment that his 18-year-old son, Morgan, spotted the women.

He said: "They were good. They were waving their paddles up in the air, they had us spotted, well they were waving anyway and then we came alongside.

"They are weak and tired of course but they were sitting up and a little bit of chat out of them. We got them in the boat and we brought them into the island and the chopper landed there."

"They were fairly shook but they were thankful," he said.

fits wrote: »

Absolute Heroes and fierce intelligent men to use their experiences and calculate where the girls could be in the sea. My god, incredible story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

That's incredible. I dont know them personally but pretty sure the Oliver's area well known fishing family from Claddagh. Amazing local knowledge of the bay. Great news. What a story!

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭who what when

owlbethere wrote: »
    Absolute Heroes and fierce intelligent men to use their experiences and calculate where the girls could be in the sea. My god, incredible story.

Absolutely. The word hero is much over used in my opinion but in the case of these men its fully merited.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

owlbethere wrote: »

Do the Coastguard not do that too? There must be computer models out there that would be quite accurate

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

That's incredible. I dont know them personally but pretty sure the Oliver's area well known fishing family from Claddagh. Amazing local knowledge of the bay. Great news. What a story!

Correct

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭bodyguard1

Absolutely delighted for the two women and their families and of course huge respect for all those involved in the rescue especially the Oliver father and son who pinpointed the area they would have drifted to given the weather conditions and wind speeds and brought them back safely which definitely deserves special recognition from the City Council and the National Water Safety Awards however I feel sorry for the 16 year old who jumped into the Boyne River to rescue two 11 year old boys who got into difficulty yesterday evening and was overshadowed by today's events. He is also deserving of recognition and a National Water Safety Bravery Award, it just highlights the dangers associated within our rivers and sea's around the country but thankfully both incidents had a happy ending for those involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,162 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Do the Coastguard not do that too? There must be computer models out there that would be quite accurate

The MRCC would have estimated too but by the looks of it they were slightly off. An educated guess Vs precise science.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Fisherman is a vocation, rather than any old job!!

Great understanding of the elements and nature.

• Advertisement

bodyguard1 wrote: »
    Absolutely delighted for the two women and their families and of course huge respect for all those involved in the rescue especially the Oliver father and son who pinpointed the area they would have drifted to given the weather conditions and wind speeds and brought them back safely which definitely deserves special recognition from the City Council and the National Water Safety Awards however I feel sorry for the 16 year old who jumped into the Boyne River to rescue two 11 year old boys who got into difficulty yesterday evening and was overshadowed by today's events. He is also deserving of recognition and a National Water Safety Bravery Award, it just highlights the dangers associated within our rivers and sea's around the country but thankfully both incidents had a happy ending for those involved.

I wasn't watching the news today. Another hero. Both of them or the three of them are all deserving of the hero titles.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement