Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Woman and girl found alive after 15 hours in sea off coast

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I'm glad they're not being berated and the coverage has been very positive.

But I wonder what the reaction would have been if it was 2 middle aged men, I'd say all the Karens would be out.

That's just whataboutery. There's enough real world cases to discuss without having to make up hypotheticals.

Unfortunately, the experience of people fishing getting swept from rocks happens pretty frequently and thankfully I have never seen commentary on this descend in to 'Karen' type statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Piehead

Jesus what's with all the begrudgingly.

This is Eire

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭trashcan

Wombatman wrote: »
    Ellen's father Johnny Glynn is a legend of Galway soccer. He captained Galway United to an FAI Cup win where he scored the winning goal against Shamrock Rovers in the 1991.

He is head of Football Development at Galway United and goes out of his way to help young kids get the most out of the game all over Galway. Overjoyed for him and his family.

Yeah, was amazed when I saw it was him on the news this evening. Hadn't really followed the story, just saw the headlines. Johnny also spent a couple of years at St Pats, not quite a legend in Inchicore, but he'd be remembered fondly enough. Delighted for him and his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Dancewithme

But I wonder what the reaction would have been if it was 2 middle aged men, I'd say all the Karens would be out.

Wow. Lately when I hear the word Karen on social media I wonder at the gender of the person posting. Is there a male equivalent for Karen. I have found a few in this thread for sure. If anyone listened to the interview with Ellen today she stated it was the one day she didn't bring out her mobile phone in her waterproof case. It seems to me it was their first time on this beach because of silver strand having restricted access. I am delighted the people of Galway came together and found them. Lashing rain, thunder, lightning and fog. I wonder how many of us would have made it through that with big waves washing over us!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Discodog wrote: »
    It's the exposure that kills you even if you have a life vest. Most won't survive 15 hours in Irish conditions

12-15 hours in the water. They were out of the water for most of that time. Big difference. From all accounts they were not hypothermic and would have lasted the whole of Thursday too because it was so humid.
    They were clever and calm and made all the right moves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Sounds like the women were in great health, kept their spirits up, and their wits about them and perhaps two middle aged men may not have the same outcome. Hate that Karen sh*te.

And can't believe people are berating the Mother there. These were young women, not toddlers, one was a 'legal' adult. How often do you watch teenagers 24/7, and it sounds like it *could* have happened to any one/gender.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,821 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

12-15 hours in the water. They were out of the water for most of that time. Big difference. From all accounts they were not hypothermic and would have lasted the whole of Thursday too because it was so humid.
    They were clever and calm and made all the right moves.

Ellen added that as the night went on, weather conditions quickly worsened.

"The water was warm but as soon as the sun went down it got really cold outside and then the wind was obviously just getting heavier.

"There was thunder and lightning and heavy rain too. We were shaking like leaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I had one of the first paddle boards in Ireland! My fellow surfers absolutely loved me!

They're unbelievably bad against the wind, you're standing up there like a sail. The inflatable ones are worse. If you don't have a leash and you fall off it in high wind there isn't a chance of catching it. Good fins will keep it down wind and it was race off on you over the horizon!

These girls played it well. PFD's, leashes and stayed together and on their boards.

Here's a demonstration of how a race board can get away from you without a leash on a downwinder in swell. Click to about 4.30 minutes.

https://www.mensjournal.com/adventure/safety-consequences-downwinding-without-leash/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Ellen added that as the night went on, weather conditions quickly worsened.

"The water was warm but as soon as the sun went down it got really cold outside and then the wind was obviously just getting heavier.

"There was thunder and lightning and heavy rain too. We were shaking like leaves.

You missed my point completely. By the time they were 15 hours in the water (as the poster I replied to suggested) it was around noon on Thursday so it was significantly warmer than the middle of the night. They would have survived the whole day but a 2nd night (depending on weather) might have made them dangerously hypothermic. Rain and submersion makes all the difference when it comes to body temperature. I have seen people with advanced stages of hypothermia and it's not pretty - they are like mindless zombies. These ladies were focused throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭vikings2012

This is a brilliant good news story. Much needed, especially in 2020.

As a 17 year old, Ellen comes across as very mature and diligent. Her thought process of remaining calm and her assurance of been found, ultimately saved both her and Sara.

I live beside the coast of Ireland. It’s hard to imagine that these two girls managed to withstand the physical and mental effects of being stranded on the Atlantic Ocean. The unpredictable nature of the sea would personally cause me to lose my cool and either swim or paddle to land or to find land.

Regardless of favorable weather, life jackets etc to remain calm in the ocean for 15 hours in the hope of rescue is to be commended. At any moment during that time, they could of been separated and swept out to sea.

Delighted for their families and friends. I look forward for when the two girls and fishermen meet publicly on TV to share their story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

What is a "Karen"?

What is a "Karen"?

You have some catching up to do.
    Karen is a pejorative term used in the United States and other English-speaking countries for a woman perceived as entitled or demanding beyond the scope of what is appropriate or necessary. A common stereotype is that of a white woman who uses her privilege to demand her own way at the expense of others. Depictions also include demanding to "speak to the manager", anti-vaccination beliefs, being racist, or sporting a particular bob cut hairstyle. As of 2020, the term was increasingly being used as a general-purpose term of disapproval for middle-aged white women.

It's the latest in the explosion of the use and understanding of a term due to its use on social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,666 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What is a "Karen"?

A word misogynists used to berate women who point out the obvious

Was the weather good during the search?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

What is a "Karen"?
    My sister

:D:D:D:D:D:D

This made me roar laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

To tie themselves onto the balloons was an absolute life saver. I've been to sea and just offshore waters can get very choppy. Very clever and a great move. Well done girls,very well done.

You have some catching up to do.

It's the latest in the explosion of the use and understanding of a term due to its use on social media.

I had a vague idea of the meaning so perhaps the question I should have asked was “why is it Karen?”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

I had a vague idea of the meaning so perhaps the question I should have asked was “why is it Karen?”

Here you go:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karen_(pejorative)

Just because.

Probably on one of the first occasions or videos which became widespread someone commented that they knew a person called Karen who behaved in such a manner. Also because if you hear someone is called Karen, you think of a white person which matches the image of the person in a lot of such videos.

• Advertisement

Hrududu wrote: »

I expected that link to lead to a paragraph about it.

Wasn’t expecting it to that detailed

Also there is a Black Twitter?

Just because.

Probably on one of the first occasions or videos which became widespread someone commented that they knew a person called Karen who behaved in such a manner. Also because if you hear someone is called Karen, you think of a white person which matches the image of the person in a lot of such videos.

I don’t think I now anyone called Karen

My sister

I don’t think the name exists for what my sisters are

• Registered Users Posts: 28,790 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

A moving interview yesterday by the father, what an experience!

You missed my point completely. By the time they were 15 hours in the water (as the poster I replied to suggested) it was around noon on Thursday so it was significantly warmer than the middle of the night. They would have survived the whole day but a 2nd night (depending on weather) might have made them dangerously hypothermic. Rain and submersion makes all the difference when it comes to body temperature. I have seen people with advanced stages of hypothermia and it's not pretty - they are like mindless zombies. These ladies were focused throughout.

You need to read back. I was replying to someone else when I spoke about exposure. But making assumptions about how long anyone would survive is pointless.

Most of the searchers, including me, thought we were on a recovery. Very few expected this outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Good job, Galway City forum you have managed to p1ss all over a happy story :pac:

Still, won't let the sour pusses put a damper on this for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭spurshero

I’m suprised they weren’t found a lot sooner with all the posters on here that knew exactly where they would be . What a story though and what a happy ending after 15 hours I honestly didn’t expect a happy ending . Well done to anybody that tried to help in any way and to the Oliver’s in particular .

spurshero wrote: »
    I’m suprised they weren’t found a lot sooner with all the posters on here that knew exactly where they would be . What a story though and what a happy ending after 15 hours I honestly didn’t expect a happy ending . Well done to anybody that tried to help in any way and to the Oliver’s in particular .

The Olivers did a simple calculation. They calculated that they couldn't have drifted more than 20 miles. So they went out a little further & started searching whilst heading back. The main search seemed to be focused on recovery, in other words assuming the worst.

If one worked on the idea that they are still alive then the critical thing was to stop them passing through the Islands. That's why the Olivers & my friend went straight to the gap between Inisheer & Doolin. As it was, the girls realised the risk & sensibly attached themselves to the buoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Storm 10

The Olivers did a simple calculation. They calculated that they couldn't have drifted more than 20 miles. So they went out a little further & started searching whilst heading back. The main search seemed to be focused on recovery, in other words assuming the worst.

If one worked on the idea that they are still alive then the critical thing was to stop them passing through the Islands. That's why the Olivers & my friend went straight to the gap between Inisheer & Doolin. As it was, the girls realised the risk & sensibly attached themselves to the buoy.

As I have said already from midnight until around 6am the weather was terrible with very poor visibility hampering the search a friend on the Lifeboat said they could see very little with rain fog thunder and lightning they could not even approach land , the helicopter had to depart due lightning the elements were against them
    At no stage was it ever a recovery search so don't be saying that, they would have been found eventually

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

OK, Karen...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement