Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Woman and girl found alive after 15 hours in sea off coast

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Discodog wrote: »
    You need to read back. I was replying to someone else when I spoke about exposure. But making assumptions about how long anyone would survive is pointless.

Most of the searchers, including me, thought we were on a recovery. Very few expected this outcome.

Fair enough. I actually felt they would be found alive on the north Clare coast at first light if they kept with the 2 boards. But I did get the sense from the search operations at 10am that it was a recovery. A few things were in their favour and they were smart. The currents between the islands can be wicked but the Olivers did some excellent calculations.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,822 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Fair enough. I actually felt they would be found alive on the north Clare coast at first light if they kept with the 2 boards. But I did get the sense from the search operations at 10am that it was a recovery. A few things were in their favour and they were smart. The currents between the islands can be wicked but the Olivers did some excellent calculations.

My friend just looked at the wind direction & strength - he's a successful sailor. He would of been with them soon after the Olivers. If you take the wind direction then Inis/Doolin is in a straight line from Furbo. If they had a light they might of been rescued much earlier.

The Movie will be good. Everything is set up. Two girls, bikinis, a huge search, thunder storms etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

My friend just looked at the wind direction & strength - he's a successful sailor. He would of been with them soon after the Olivers. If you take the wind direction then Inis/Doolin is in a straight line from Furbo. If they had a light they might of been rescued much earlier.

The Movie will be good. Everything is set up. Two girls, bikinis, a huge search, thunder storms etc.

With all due respect to you and your friend, but that is just hurling from the ditch at this point.

Do you think all the people involved in the rescue attempts were novices.

A plane was lost in asia 6 years ago and the bulk of it has never been found despite the best technology and experts on the planet looking for it.

These girls were within a few hundred metres of heading out on to the second biggest ocean on the planet and through their own calmness, the efforts of the guys who found them and a massive amount of good luck, they survived.

That's it. That's the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭Water John

They kept the heads, and did everything right. Must have been a tough night, one can only emphatise, would any of us held it together so well?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

And your "friend" as the real hero of the story no doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

There might not be a movie, but I bet there will be an appearance in the Late Late Show.

And your "friend" as the real hero of the story no doubt.

What a silly remark. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Excellent account from members of Galway & Aran RNLI Lifeboats.

https://www.thejournal.ie/readme/rnli-rescue-paddle-boarders-galway-bay-5176759-Aug2020/

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

There might not be a movie, but I bet there will be an appearance in the Late Late Show.

Why would you say something so horrible?

Imagine going through what they did only to have to actually suffer a horrific ordeal afterward

Adapted to be about two American college girls with events taking place on the on the coast of South America. The rescuer will just happen to be a hard drinking white Yank in self imposed exile.

Add in a genetically enhanced octopus that has escaped from a lab. Or jellyfish mutated by pollution if you want the story to have a “message”. Some threat is needed other than, like, the wind. :P

• Advertisement

Did the fishermen bring them back to land on the boat or is the protocol to call for the rescue helicopter?

Also I missed this in the reading earlier somehow.

Why were they not reported as missing until 10pm. I thought the family was at the beach with them? Had they gone in the water very late?

And they didn’t have wetsuits on? I had not even considered that they could have been in ordinary swimsuits. I doubt very much that I would have lasted even in a wetsuit. Fair play to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Did the fishermen bring them back to land on the boat or is the protocol to call for the rescue helicopter?

Also I missed this in the reading earlier somehow.

Why were they not reported as missing until 10pm. I thought the family was at the beach with them? Had they gone in the water very late?

And they didn’t have wetsuits on? I had not even considered that they could have been in ordinary swimsuits. I doubt very much that I would have lasted even in a wetsuit. Fair play to them.

Taken to Inisheer where one of the search helicopters from Waterford Rescue 117 landed and their paramedic checked them out and they were airlifted to UHG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Yes, one of the mother's was watching them. Needless to say, she hasn't been giving any interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,669 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

hamburgham wrote: »

Yes, one of the mother's was watching them. Needless to say, she hasn't been giving any interviews.

They are young adults women, not "girls" as was first reported.

You would not expect mammy to be watching every move.

Thank goodness those who go rescue, whether RNLI, Coastguard or volunteers never pass judgement. Just go to help their fellow human beings and sometimes animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Water John wrote: »
    Thank goodness those who go rescue, whether RNLI, Coastguard or volunteers never pass judgement. Just go to help their fellow human beings and sometimes animals.

Very true they just get on with it laying their lives on the line, I find it very upsetting reading some of the posts about why they did not find the Girls, sadly following an all day and night search for two missing brothers off the West Coast of the UK has now been stood down and they have not been found .it's the luck of the draw

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Very true they just get on with it laying their lives on the line, I find it very upsetting reading some of the posts about why they did not find the Girls, sadly following an all day and night search for two missing brothers off the West Coast of the UK has now been stood down and they have not been found .it's the luck of the draw

Every search & rescue operation should have a debrief. It's not upsetting to question, it's part of the process of making the services as good as possible. It shouldn't be viewed as criticism to ask questions. We all know the amazing work that these people do & they constantly train to get better. But as 116 proved, mistakes can happen & improvements can always be made.

Yes they debrief but it doesn't go on the internet. Debriefing the search and rescue teams is not about the circumstances that caused the specific search, in other words not about the people rescued.

Taken to Inisheer where one of the search helicopters from Waterford Rescue 117 landed and their paramedic checked them out and they were airlifted to UHG

Thank you.

If it was an area that had no islands would the fisherman bring them to port ? Or would the helicopter airlift from the boat. Just curious about the policy.

They are young adults women, not "girls" as was first reported.

You would not expect mammy to be watching every move.

I was not looking to "blame" anyone.

Just curious to know why it was 10pm before it was reported - had they gone into the water late in the evening or had the family come looking first.

• Advertisement

I chose to ignore those criticisms and the comments about "investigations".

Rescue workers risk their lives going out. I couldn't do it and I think those who criticise wouldn't...

• Registered Users Posts: 39 medi_bai

Jaysis they're milking this... Whole family taking every chance possible to get up in front of the cameras.

They were found Thursday, and new articles still being printed yesterday, Jesus wept.

Also, why is the media only reporting how great it is that they were found? (Which it is btw.). Surely this should be an opportunity to remind people how in danger these women were, & how much the odds were stacked against them.

After the initial elation of them being found, the right points have not been raised.

medi_bai wrote: »
    Also, why is the media only reporting how great it is that they were found? (Which it is btw.). Surely this should be an opportunity to remind people how in danger these women were, & how much the odds were stacked against them.

The second half of the second sentence is the answer to the question.

Why are they getting such coverage?

Because 2020 has been a sh*t year and understandably, right now, when a good news story comes out, people are all over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,625 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

All we need now is for it to come out the paddled boarded to that buoy ten times before in trials runs.

b3iDL1u.png

Jaysis they're milking this... Whole family taking every chance possible to get up in front of the cameras.

They were found Thursday, and new articles still being printed yesterday, Jesus wept.

After the initial elation of them being found, the right points have not been raised.

Total sh1t comment. I presume family did public interview to control the constant approaches by the media.
    IWT the families should consider some counselling for both. Just to process what has happened to them in a controlled environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

FFS :rolleyes:

The fact stories go on for days here is a blessing. It's because we have feck all news worth reporting. If they are asked to go on the radio, why not go on?

Gerry Ryan died 10 years ago and he's still front page of some tabloids from time to time.

We live somewhere where a mattress getting dumped over a wall was covered on Galway Bay FM for 3 days. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 39 medi_bai

The second half of the second sentence is the answer to the question.

Why are they getting such coverage?

Because 2020 has been a sh*t year and understandably, right now, when a good news story comes out, people are all over it.
    Water John wrote: »
    Total sh1t comment. I presume family did public interview to control the constant approaches by the media.
    IWT the families should consider some counselling for both. Just to process what has happened to them in a controlled environment.
    Wompa1 wrote: »
    FFS :rolleyes:

The fact stories go on for days here is a blessing. It's because we have feck all news worth reporting. If they are asked to go on the radio, why not go on?

Gerry Ryan died 10 years ago and he's still front page of some tabloids from time to time.

We live somewhere where a mattress getting dumped over a wall was covered on Galway Bay FM for 3 days. :pac:

I love how all of the responses only address the first part of my post, where I ask why they are so eager to be up in front of the camera's each & every time. And not on the soft reporting, that their actions could be viewed as a little silly, and that people should take care if engaging in similar.

Lets put it this way, They weren't reckless, simply initially made a simple error of judgement. But that's human nature and I won't be throwing stones.

I love how all of the responses only address the first part of my post, where I ask why they are so eager to be up in front of the camera's each & every time. And not on the soft reporting, that their actions could be viewed as a little silly, and that people should take care if engaging in similar.

Using this rational no accident would ever happen.

They did take care, they had life jackets, they stayed together and they fixed themselves to an anchor point.

In future, thse girls will likely guarantee to bring a phone (which they usually did anyway) but broadcasting what was right about the story might mean that in future someone keeps a cool head in a similar situation. That's a better approach than being judgemental. In cases where people put themselves needlessly at risk, such as swimming during a weather red alert people here on in the media call that out appropriately.

That is not applicable here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

And my prediction is coming true:

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2020/0903/1162934-tubridy-reveals-late-late-guests-for-first-show-back/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement