Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staycation Ireland.. Anyone doing it

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,261 ✭✭✭✭fits

Can ya post a link to the accom ?

I’d prefer not to. It was a renovated farmhouse on Dingle peninsula.

One beautiful thing I enjoyed the other week was a walk around Omey Island. A lot is on road or sand dunes, but a bit if shore scrambling required. Parking is on beach at low tide (see low tide Galway for tide timetable) and wisdom is to arrive two hours before low tide Galway. The ramble takes about an hour if you go slow and don't stop. Wear shoes you don't care getting soaked. Ponies to pet behind the fences, beautiful scenery, precious machair landscape, an ancient ruined church, beautiful white sands. There was "bingo on the beach" the day I visited, their guest time doing it with people sitting in cars and blowing horns. Not too far from Clifden.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

We are going to Tulfarris on the Blessington Lakes, a hidden gem if ever there was one. Then doing a bit of the Wicklow Way over three days. Hotel will arrange pick ups from where we decide to stop, well the nearest road lol.

And it is only 50 minutes from home. You could be anywhere. Scenery is stunning.

Westport is next. Then Sligo and Mullaghmore. And the last one for now is hopefully Connemara.

So that is three X three day stays. I hope it is good!

Don't care about pubs or the weather, well would like kind of dry, but this is Ireland.

I hope you all enjoy your trips.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Kattunge wrote: »
    Having a staycation in my back garden this weekend. With this glorious weather I’m imagining I’m in Provence.

Love that attitude, I deliberately planted rosemary and lavender in the borders and can sit out thankfully thinking I am in La Belle France.

But the wine is more expensive here and the cheeses are not so prolific. But what the heck. Anyone with a decent outside space these days is blessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Music Box

We've been requested to Staycation. But we don't seem to have adequate infrastructure to cater for the additional numbers. Campsites in Achill Island are full. Now tents popping up on sand dunes. Restaurants booked out. And now we've been told not to drink the water. When did Irish Water become aware of this problem. For how long were tourists and locals drinking polluted water before they notified the public.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭wandererz

Music Box wrote: »
    When did Irish Water become aware of this problem. For how long were tourists and locals drinking polluted water before they notified the public.

It's been well known for several years the problems with water quality across the country but especially in the West.
    Boil notices etc.

If there's a problem, by the time people are notified, it's too late.

I never drink tap water. That's what bottled water is for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Staycationing in Belfast. Never ceases to amaze me the variation in prices between North and South across the board. Seriously considering a relocation as wfh until next year and paying enormous rent in Dublin City Centre for few of the city benefits.

Weather is fantastic at the minute aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭The Unbearables

fits wrote: »
    I’d prefer not to. It was a renovated farmhouse on Dingle peninsula.

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 20,535 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Irish_rat wrote: »
    What's Glendalough like these days? Is it packed with tourists? I was thinking of walking a few of the trails round it.

Was there on Friday just gone , arrived at 8 in the morning got a 4 hour walk in and even a swim in the lake,

Get there as early as you can personally I don't even bother if I'm only going to arrive after 10AM

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Staycationing in Belfast. Never ceases to amaze me the variation in prices between North and South across the board. Seriously considering a relocation as wfh until next year and paying enormous rent in Dublin City Centre for few of the city benefits.

Weather is fantastic at the minute aswell.

Just back, had a great time, the weather was indeed fantastic over the weekend, actually posted a picture from our hotel on FB and a friend thought we were abroad! (might have been the cocktails by the sunset!). Highly recommend visiting the Titanic quarter!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭bikerjohn

6541 wrote: »
    The North Coast in Antrim is a bigoted crap hole. As a southern person you are just about tolerated.
    And your 100% right there, there only a shower of bigoted #$%@s

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

So that is three X three day stays. .

I've a similar thing planned. several short breaks to keep me going.
    Did 4 days in Kerry last month
    Spending 3 nights between Dungarvan and Kilmore Quay next week
    Donegal for 3 nights next month
    Still want to do the Beara Peninsula and the Aran Islands.
    I'll keep the short breaks going as far as I can into the winter. Gonna be a long winter otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 18,396 ✭✭✭✭kippy

wandererz wrote: »
    It's been well known for several years the problems with water quality across the country but especially in the West.
    Boil notices etc.

If there's a problem, by the time people are notified, it's too late.

I never drink tap water. That's what bottled water is for.
    Generally the water quality is excellent especially on Achill. But when you add a few thousand people to an outdated treatment plant you can have problems.
    I have little doubt it struggles most summers to cope but enhanced testing and increased numbers of tourists this year has brought these issues to the fore (which is a good thing)
    Bottled water is the biggest waste of money going and none too good for the environment either.
    We would be better served investing in improving water infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,396 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Music Box wrote: »
    We've been requested to Staycation. But we don't seem to have adequate infrastructure to cater for the additional numbers. Campsites in Achill Island are full. Now tents popping up on sand dunes. Restaurants booked out. And now we've been told not to drink the water. When did Irish Water become aware of this problem. For how long were tourists and locals drinking polluted water before they notified the public.

We don't have adequate infrastructure as generally the infrastructure isn't setup for the numbers that are there this year and it's pretty difficult to spin up some of this infrastructure in a pandemic.
    Tents popped up in Sand dunes in Achill long before this year in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

bladespin wrote: »
    Just back, had a great time, the weather was indeed fantastic over the weekend, actually posted a picture from our hotel on FB and a friend thought we were abroad! (might have been the cocktails by the sunset!). Highly recommend visiting the Titanic quarter!

Just going up to Belfast tomorrow for two nights. Any recommendations for attraction/restaurants/ bars if open, I think they can serve outdoors.
    It has been quite a while since I've been there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

joe40 wrote: »
    Just going up to Belfast tomorrow for two nights. Any recommendations for attraction/restaurants/ bars if open, I think they can serve outdoors.

Stayed at the Ivanhoe, nice hotel, the food was fantastic and they have a beautiful outdoor area (covered with fire pits) for a few drinks after. The Titanic hotel is amazing too, if you can get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Wexford was mobbed with Dubs the last few days

The amount of rubbish left at beaches and beach car parks is disgusting.

I’d say a lot of holiday spots will have had their fill of Irish visitors bringing along their entitlement to last them a lifetime. Be dying to welcome back the tourists.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,177 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I’m from Cork, have been down to West Cork loads of times. Went to Kerry often enough as well. I lived in Galway for a while too and I’ve seen much of the west coast. Decided to go somewhere in Ireland I’ve never been to so heading to Cavan on Saturday and Athlone on Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Was in Baltimore last weekend for 3 nights, really hit the jackpot with the weather. Stayed at a place called Rolf's (I'd highly recommend it), had breakfast in the sunny garden each morning. We did Mizen Head, Three Castle Head (one of Ireland's best secrets), swimming in Barleycove, great food, plenty of exercise. Pretty quiet roads ablaze with wild flowers, stunning. It would be hard to fault any aspect of it

Sligo (never been) for a few days next month, let's hope it's as good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

tom1ie wrote: »
    Hi guys, we are heading to Sligo and looking for a few recommendations for restaurants.
    Also can anyone recommend somewhere in either longford or Mullingar to break up the trip and get a nice lunch (rather not go to a service station).
    Thanks all.
    I would wait until Carrick, lots of choice there. The Oarsman gets top billing but there are a couple of other good places whose names escape me now..

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

Anyone travelled to their staycation by train recently? Are they asking reason for travel? Heading to Belfast in few days

Westport was full of British holidaymakers this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Anyone travelled to their staycation by train recently? Are they asking reason for travel? Heading to Belfast in few days

According to the internet social distancing on trains is not being enforced, even in terms of controlling how many board, and they're liable to be packed if you're unlucky. So bring a good mask.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

Friends of mine were here recently and loved it
    https://www.sixbynico.co.uk/belfast/the-chippie-2/

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭scooby77

Doing 2 nights Dun Laoghaire this weekend. Hoping late lunches couple beers. Then later dinner couple beers! Saturday anyway. Are TripAdvisor rankings for there on the ball or any better recommendations please ?
    (Couple, early 40s, no kids with us...not huge fish eaters!)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Dont bother with the Titantic expericence rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

Seamai wrote: »
    Was in Baltimore last weekend for 3 nights, really hit the jackpot with the weather. Stayed at a place called Rolf's (I'd highly recommend it), had breakfast in the sunny garden each morning. We did Mizen Head, Three Castle Head (one of Ireland's best secrets), swimming in Barleycove, great food, plenty of exercise. Pretty quiet roads ablaze with wild flowers, stunning. It would be hard to fault any aspect of it

Sligo (never been) for a few days next month, let's hope it's as good.

West Cork is a great part of the country, especially where you were, I've extended family down that general direction that we spend a couple of weekends a year with, always very enjoyable, they're big into their music down that side (and the drinking that comes with it, couldn't keep up with them :D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Desperately feel like a break but the thoughts of being stuck in the rain has me hesitant to book anything.

Advertisement