Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staycation Ireland.. Anyone doing it

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,743 ✭✭✭saabsaab

GoneHome wrote: »
    West Cork is a great part of the country, especially where you were, I've extended family down that general direction that we spend a couple of weekends a year with, always very enjoyable, they're big into their music down that side (and the drinking that comes with it, couldn't keep up with them :D)

True enough. Five or six is only a start for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I've been on a lot of day trips 'Castle ward' in Northern Ireland is amazing.

But I wouldn't stay at a hotel because they are all packed and the R number in Northern Ireland has gone up.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Oberkon

sasta le wrote: »
    Dont bother with the Titantic expericence rubbish

I have to agree , once was enough. I overheard a kid saying it’s so boring here it’s all reading walls . I had to laugh as I thought the same .

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

jrosen wrote: »
    Desperately feel like a break but the thoughts of being stuck in the rain has me hesitant to book anything.

I'd rather it was raining with 10ft waves than sunny and flat. Do not believe the forecasts on met.ie download a few apps like weather bug and arcus.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Mossie1975

Seamai wrote: »
    Was in Baltimore last weekend for 3 nights, really hit the jackpot with the weather. Stayed at a place called Rolf's (I'd highly recommend it), had breakfast in the sunny garden each morning. We did Mizen Head, Three Castle Head (one of Ireland's best secrets), swimming in Barleycove, great food, plenty of exercise. Pretty quiet roads ablaze with wild flowers, stunning. It would be hard to fault any aspect of it

Sligo (never been) for a few days next month, let's hope it's as good.

Sounds like my kind of holiday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

Just so you know while we are all staying at home the Chairman of Failte Ireland decided he would go to Italy on his holidays!

You couldn't make it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

jrosen wrote: »
    Desperately feel like a break but the thoughts of being stuck in the rain has me hesitant to book anything.

Why? Unless the forecast is for a week of blowing a gale and rain coming in sideways, then what's the issue? Far too much being made of us not having a Mediterranean climate. Just get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Just packing up our stuff into the car after 4 great days stay in an AirBnb in Castlebar. 1st day spent on Achill Island and Keem Beach is unreal even if it is difficultly busy with parking toilets etc. 2nd day hired bikes from the brilliant Bikes and Boards at Lough Lannagh Holiday Villagr and did the Greenway to Turlough. Had planned to do swimming pool and parks on the 3rd day but we enjoyed the beach so much we made the most of the great weather and went for a 2nd trip. Meeting some friends for lunch now before the long drive home to Monaghan.

Great eating to be had in Castlebar. The Olive Tree was lovely Turkish cruisine and was a bargain price. Al Muretto Italian restaurant absolutely fantastic, steak was unreal. Cafe Rua did a great Irish Breakfast that kept a fat boy like me full for hours.

Gieltys Bar and Restautant on Achill is a cool little spot with nice Guinness and big portions. Grainne Uaile was nice for food in Newport last night too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

appledrop wrote: »
    Just so you know while we are all staying at home the Chairman of Failte Ireland decided he would go to Italy on his holidays!

You couldn't make it up!

Link please

Nothing illegal as it's on the green list. So nothing to be outraged about.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Link please

It’s not, but come on and look at the optics, he’s the head of Failte Ireland, we have been asked to holiday at home this year and he is the face of holidays at home!

• Advertisement

Link please

Here https://amp.independent.ie/irish-news/tourism-chief-on-holidays-in-italy-amid-massive-campaign-to-promote-staycations-39451408.html

Not that I think there’s a big pile wrong with it either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Link please

No outrage on my part, I was in Italy myself up to last Monday. However it's not my job to try and encourage people to holiday at home. A little hypocrisy tbh .

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/tourism-chief-on-holidays-in-italy-amid-massive-campaign-to-promote-staycations-39451408.html

• Subscribers Posts: 41,028 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Back yesterday after 7 days in galway.

The weather was fantastic. Spent time at silver strand, dogs bay, tra mor, island view and coral stand beaches.

Ireland is beautiful when you get the weather to enjoy it.

Mehaffey1 wrote: »

Grainne Uaile was nice for food in Newport last night too.

Are they still charging €5.50 for a Guinness?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Link please

Nothing illegal either way (green listed or not) but if you can’t see what’s wrong about it then you’re missing the point completely.

pc7 wrote: »
    It’s not, but come on and look at the optics, he’s the head of Failte Ireland, we have been asked to holiday at home this year and he is the face of holidays at home!

Honestly I had to Google to find out who the chair of Failte Ireland was. His name sounds vaguely familiar but not his face. As a chair his role is to ensure the organisation is been run correctly from a governance point of view. He's Michael Cauley by the way

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,177 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Ya, he said the trip to Italy was booked months ago and has 2 upcoming breaks in Ireland planned for September and October. Something out of nothing.

bladespin wrote: »
    Nothing illegal either way (green listed or not) but if you can’t see what’s wrong about it then you’re missing the point completely.

I'm seeing squinting window syndrome.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭micks_address

Ya, he said the trip to Italy was booked months ago and has 2 upcoming breaks in Ireland planned for September and October. Something out of nothing.

I kinda disagree...public health advice has only been to travel abroad if it's an essential journey. Lots of people I know lost money on pre booked holidays by not going due to this advice. Yet here we have someone promoting staycations heading away. I think he will ultimately loose his job over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

I kinda disagree...public health advice has only been to travel abroad if it's an essential journey. Lots of people I know lost money on pre booked holidays by not going due to this advice. Yet here we have someone promoting staycations heading away. I think he will ultimately loose his job over it.

Yeah but he booked it months ago. You can't expect him to make any sacrifice for the public good can you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,177 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I think the ethics of travelling abroad is a separate issue (I wouldn't personally go abroad at the moment and have cancelled 4 trips that I had booked for this year). The article makes a big deal about the head of Failte Ireland going abroad when they're meant to be promoting staycations. He seems to be doing both. I wouldn't be hanging the guy over it.

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Yeah but he booked it months ago. You can't expect him to make any sacrifice for the public good can you?

We didn't go on our trip to Spain, was booked in January. Lost money on it. Others I know booked last year and didn't go. Flights weren't cancelled so money lost. It just smacks of stupidity. Working in a public job and you flout public health advice...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I think the ethics of travelling abroad is a separate issue (I wouldn't personally go abroad at the moment and have cancelled 4 trips that I had booked for this year). The article makes a big deal about the head of Failte Ireland going abroad when they're meant to be promoting staycations. He seems to be doing both. I wouldn't be hanging the guy over it.

Nothing will happen, this will blow over in a couple of days...

He will still collect a big fat cheque at the end of the month.

People will just accept it as they always do with any controversy in public life, end of story.

On the one hand you have half the tourism sector in Ireland on its knees due to closures..then the government advising only travel abroad if essential. I don't think you can be in a publically funded job (is it a public service post?) and openly flout public health advice

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

CrankyHaus wrote: »

We all booked our holidays months ago + all lost out + we are not head of Failte Ireland promoting staying in Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Sad to see that the indo is now plummeting to depths beneath the gutter level of the daily muck searching for anything to rile the fools that subscribe to it.

Maybe people don't want to see that he also holidays in Ireland frequently including this year.

Maybe people are just jealous

Or maybe people are just suckers for gutter "journalism"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Are they still charging €5.50 for a Guinness?

4.20 which given how much of a touristy place it is I thought it was reasonable. Specials on the boards for food at 14 or 15 euro which looked great even though I batted for the double burger.

Darc19 wrote: »
    Sad to see that the indo is now plummeting to depths beneath the gutter level of the daily muck searching for anything to rile the fools that subscribe to it.

Maybe people don't want to see that he also holidays in Ireland frequently including this year.

People aren't jealous... People are pissed off that they did the moral thing and didn't travel as ordinary citizens abroad and here you have a guy in a public job enjoying holidays in Italy... Reminds me a bit of p Flynn...ah sure it's grand I've five holidays a year only one of them flouted public health advice

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Darc19 wrote: »

I hate the indo, but this story will stick with many of the public.
    The gov advice is not to travel.
    Many of us adhered to this advice and lost money because of it but we felt it was the right thing to do for our country.

This is far from a nothing story.
    For a government obsessed with spin and optics, this is so poor.

• Advertisement

Mehaffey1 wrote: »
    4.20 which given how much of a touristy place it is I thought it was reasonable. Specials on the boards for food at 14 or 15 euro which looked great even though I batted for the double burger.

Weird. They charged me €5.50 for a Guinness a couple of weeks ago.

Advertisement